Fall TV Preview

CBS Moves Mom to Thursdays, Extends Big Bang's Hour-Long Monday Run

CBS Mom Moves to Thursdays

Read. Very. Carefully.

CBS is extending its Monday double-pump of The Big Bang Theory for another three weeks, and as such has pushed back Mom‘s Season 2 premiere — and to a new night.

RELATED Monday Ratings: Big Bang Remains Quite Huge

Mom, which was to return this Monday in the 8:30 time slot, will instead opens its sophomore run on Thursday, Oct. 30, the same night that CBS restores its regular, aprés-Thursday Night Football line-up. There, the Anna Faris/Allison Janney sitcom will lead out of Big Bang Theory. (Two and a Half Men, the new sitcom The McCarthys and Elementary round out the night.)

As such, The Millers will vacate its Thursday home and claim what was to be Mom‘s time slot, premiering Season 2 on Monday, Oct. 20 at 8:30.

But wait, it gets more confusing: Mom and The Millers will trade back time slots in early January.

RELATED Mom Adds Jaime Pressly for Season 2

For the next three Mondays, through Oct. 13, The Big Bang Theory will air a new episode at 8, followed at 8:30 by a repeat of a previous episode. On Oct. 27, 2 Broke Girls returns to lead off Monday night.

1. Stacey says:

Why not keep BBT on Mondays for the season. They can win Monday’s which is a very powerful night much more than Thursday these days. Seems better off. Mom was very weak last year. But they got CBS a Emmy, so maybe they think the pair works better. I am not sure it will help…. Wonder if CBS will change there minds after a few more powerful Monday numbers!

• Tran says:

CBS is hoping to give Scorpion a boost on Monday nights and I have a good feeling that it will get a full season pick up.

• Mike says:

I think CBS is adjusting because they have a only one thinking person’s comedy in the Big Bang Theory, and the rest are raunch, brainless crap, i.e.; Two Broke Girls, 2 &21/2 Men, Mom, and the Millers. Also, NCIS:LA is coming in at 10pm, with Scorpion at 9pm, having a lame brain comedy at 8:30 kills tone of both shows. CBS needs another smart comedy to fill the 8:30 void. It is obvious that CBS was ill equipped to handle the football package as an 8week event, and does not know what to do. Bad programing form the get go! However, when you have NCIS, The Big Bang Theory, and Football, for three nights you are sitting in the sweet spot. I think next year CBS will lose all of their comedies minus the Big Bang Theory.

• Moment says:

Mom pairs well with TBBT, as evident during the summer.

• Chris says:

I’m not sure that Mom with sensitive (but told with humor) stories of cancer, addiction, divorce, and teen pregnancy qualifies as raunch. The Emmy was well deserved.

• jss0058 says:

I love The Big Bang Theory, so this isn’t meant as a slam….but I don’t think I would call it a “thinking person’s” comedy. yes there is science talk, but there is also a LOT of sexual and bathroom humor jokes in the show just like the other Chuck comedies 2 & 1/2 and Mom. I think what makes this show better than the others is the relationship/chemistry of the cast, but I wouldn’t call this a “smart” comedy just because of the science angle.

• erik says:

In The Big Bang Theory, string theory is about advanced mathematics, in raunchy comedies string theory is about tampons…

• jss0058 says:

Yeah but they are discussing string theory in depth on the big bang theory…and lets not act like the big bang theory has never made a tampon joke because it has more than once. I’ll agree its not as raunchy as some shows but again just because of the science angle doesn’t make the humor “smart”.

• mari johnson says:

Too bad they canceled Robin Williams show. It was funny and would have worked well in the line up. That mom show and the millers were both terrible

• Hannah says:

Did you really just call the Big Bang Theory a thinking man’s comedy? Oh my god.

• cdhaskell says:

I got a feeling that Big Bang Theory will become a hit in it new time slot. It will be interested to see how the two hour show will do between 9 pm- 11pm.

• Et al says:

Wow. CBS is really going out of their way to apologize to Scooter Braun. He’s the producer of Scorpion and Ariana Grande’s manager. I assume CBS promised the Big Brother win to his client’s brother. Goodness knows they tried.

• cdhaskell says:

Scorpion can thank to BBT for the show being full season pick up and getting renewal for the second season.

• anonymouse says:

are you kidding they could put BBT on a Saturday and it would still win

2. cdhaskell says:

I got a feeling that Mom will be stay on Thursday night but happy that the show is available on demand.

3. herman1959 says:

OMG. Bless the person who has to update the schedule grid…oops, is that you Matt?

4. Tran says:

Really don’t like The Millers and I hope it should end after two seasons. Mom looks OK for the most part. Can’t wait when 2 Broke Girls returns October 27th for its new season. Don’t know how the new season of Mom is going to fare on its new Thursday night line-up. With TBBT already renewed until 2017, I may have a feeling CBS should keep 2 Broke Girls because I like Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs and these ladies makes me laugh from beginning to end. If 2BG gets renewed for a Season Five, it should be a great fit to move the sitcom to Thursday nights and probably have a good lead-in with TBBT.

• Tran says:

BTW, totally forgot about Mike & Molly. I have a feeling The McCarthys is a clear favorite as one of the new sitcoms to get canceled but it won’t premiere until October 30th and Mike & Molly will definitely fill the void in the 9:30 p.m. Thursday night time slot.

5. Balaji K says:

I guess they are doing this to boost “Scorpion.” And Chuck Lorre might have wanted to boost “Mom” as well.

“The Millers” is now kind of dead.

6. Boiler says:

Guess they think Scorpion needs help! Doesn’t show much confidence in their other shows

7. L says:

I got quite excited thinking we were getting NEW double Big Bang for the next three weeks. Silly me!

8. webly3 says:

This does not make sense for CBS imo

9. John NYC says:

So they’ll continue with a monster Monday and the large football Thursday until the football goes away.

Sure, why change what’s working for them?

10. HAP says:

The scheduler must be on crack!

11. Elle says:

Can you repeat this in English please? ;D

12. Moment says:

This schedule change is good for Mom. The Millers looks to have a pretty good timeslot too. Both I can see getting third seasons.

13. Iakovos says:

I do not like scheduling roulette. 2 BROKE GIRLS is what’s broken on the CBS comedy wheel. THE MILLERS despite its cast underwhelms. BBT is the juggernaut but all else seems weak. MOM shows potential but 2 1/2 is long dead to me. Really was rooting for THE CRAZY ONES. Miss some more sophisticated comedies. Even so, Looking forward to THE NEW ODD COUPLE.

14. Jenna says:

Lol. I love seeing CBS squirm a little. The other nets finally have some decent, and well received, new shows this season. NBC has been the butt of many jokes in the last few years; now, they’re a contender. It’s a viewers’ market.

15. Kristina says:

I still can’t believe this show got renewed, so I don’t care either way, but I’m glad to hear “The Millers” will be coming back on time!

16. Dave says:

Well hopefully Mom episodes will be available on demand the next day. Looks like i’ll have to skip it now that its coming on during Shonda Thursdays.

17. Gary Ford says:

What is the expected CBS Thursday schedule in the Mountain time zone? MNF and TNF typically are 6:30-10:00 Mountain time, with local news at 10:00. Scheduling Big Bang or Mom “before football” or “after football” doesn’t seem to work here.

18. KT says:

It’s just plain confusing. I hope my DVR can figure it out and there be no conflicts at the end of all of this time-slot moving. It’s the moving of times for popular shows that sinks the ratings. When you can’t figure out when the show airs, you can’t watch it. Plus, do they even count the DVR viewers in the ratings of the shows? I’m a busy working mom that doesn’t get much time to watch TV shows I love when they are actually on! It’s time to get with it and stop messing with the programming, AND start counting viewers that record and watch at a more convenient time. I’m worn out by 9pm….you’ll be lucky if I stay up for the 10pm shows (which I do record and watch in the AM).

• cdhaskell says:

I must agree. I am glad that most show is available on DVR,on demand because the program too many show at the same time. I can’t look at the show at some other time and on the weekend.

19. Bobbi says:

I’m not understanding why ‘Mom’ is taking back seat – why Big Bang is getting two slots?

20. Ginger says:

Big Bang Theory will make it anywhere it goes… Hate when shows get switched back and forth, no matter what the reason!!!

21. Lin says:

And now they are putting BBT back to Thursday against Grey’s??? So dumb!!!

22. Gladine says:

I want Mom back on I love that show It is so real to my life it is funny

23. Morrill says:

I Like people with that kind of humer, and the cast delivers it well , keep up the good work.