Big Brother Season 16 Finale Recap: And the Winner Is...

Big Brother 16 Finale

In the spirit of Big Brother ’s Sweet 16 season, quite a few milestones were reached on Wednesday’s live finale.

For one, the season ender resulted in a rare Final Two duo that had been planning this moment since the very beginning. Big Brother is a long game — at 97 days, this season clocks in at the longest ever — and with so many variables at play, it’s not often that a Final Two deal is seen through, making Derrick and Cody’s accomplishment even more impressive.

But the 90-minute broadcast was full of much, much more than Derrick’s ultimate victory. Let’s review how it all played out, shall we?

PHOTOS  Big Brother: 24 Weird, Wacky and Memorable Moments of Season 16

KING OF THE CASTLE | The first two parts of the final Head of Household competition (somewhat unsurprisingly) go to Cody and Derrick, respectively. Cody triumphs in a rain-soaked battle of endurance, while Derrick bests Victoria in a timed competition that has each contestant scaling an Egyptian pyramid to match past nominees with the weeks they were at risk for eviction.

The third part of the HOH competition is a serious nail-biter, though, with Derrick and Cody quite literally going back and forth with correct answers. After they answer a series of fill-in-the-blank questions related to the jury members, Cody just barely edges out Derrick in the closest tiebreaker… maybe ever? Or at least in recent memory? And even though there’s a 10-second stretch of unpredictability, Cody ultimately decides to take his fellow Hit Man to the Final Two, making Victoria the ninth and final member of the jury.

JURY DUTY | Meanwhile, at the jury house, legendary BB player Dr. Will leads a debate among the jurors as to who will get their votes in the end. A fair number of jurors — Hayden, Frankie and Zach among them — seem to understand that manipulation is the name of the game, making Derrick a worthy champ. Caleb, on the other hand, plans to vote for Victoria (?!) if she’s in the Final Two, simply because no one expected she’d get there (I think Zach’s response to this was the most appropriate one: “Yikes.”) And Jocasta refuses to vote for Derrick, because he “fake-prayed” with her once. O-kay.

Once Julie brings the jurors into the studio, they’re able to ask three questions to each Final Two member. Both men are straightforward in their answers, but perhaps the biggest fumble comes from Cody, who, after Frankie implies that Cody merely played second fiddle to Derrick all summer, makes it quite clear that Frankie is a juror because of him. It’s an awkward exchange, to say the least, but then I had a brief flashback to last year’s runner-up GinaMarie answering the jurors’ questions, and I felt grateful about how far we’ve come since then.

RELATED  Big Brother Renewed for Two More Seasons at CBS

* After the jury members cast their votes for the winner (with Zach basically announcing that he’s voting for Derrick, much to Julie Chen’s chagrin), the first five evictees return just in time for the season’s biggest secrets to be revealed. Team America’s missions are declassified — only the best ones, though, including the imaginary rodent and Zach’s “relation” to Amanda Zuckerman — and Cody… seems a little like he wants to cry at the news? It could be that he’s feeling betrayed by his fellow Hit Man, but it’s probably just sheer humiliation at the footage of him wearing a Speedo and calling himself Batman.

* Derrick finally reveals his real occupation as a police sergeant and former undercover detective (cue Cody looking even more crushed — and he doesn’t even know that Derrick is getting an extra $50,000 just for being in the Final Two, thanks to Team America). And as proof that Derrick planned to keep his job a secret all along, we get a glimpse at his casting video, where his Rhode Island accent is insanely prominent.

* In the end, it all comes down to the votes, and Derrick wins in a 7-2 victory. (The only votes for Cody come from Jocasta — because of the fake-praying, apparently! — and Donny.) As for America’s Favorite Houseguest, that honor goes to Donny, who was the top vote-getter alongside Nicole and Zach. Somewhere, Frankie is weeping that his millions of followers did not pull through for him.

And that’s a wrap, friends! Side note: Earlier today, I took a look at my first two Big Brother recaps of the season and basked in how utterly wrong most of my predictions were — for example, Hayden earned the “Most Unexpected Top 3 Finalist” superlative, which now undoubtedly goes to Victoria. But the one I feel worst about is Derrick: “Most Forgettable.” Oops. To be fair, Derrick did spend much of the season quietly controlling events from behind the scenes, but I feel especially silly now that he’s proven himself to be one of the series’ best competitors. Sorry, Derrick! I’ll recite 5,000 hollas as my penance.

Were you happy to see Derrick win? Did Donny get your vote for America’s Favorite Houseguest? Am I the only one super-excited that two more seasons are definitely in store? Hit the comments below with your thoughts on the finale!

1. GuessWhat says:

Well-deserved win. Derrick was a masterful player.
    Cody was VERY loyal — but a dummy for taking Derrick to the final.
    And Donny and Jocasta were dummies for voting for Cody.
    But in all seriousness, very happy with the results: winner Derrick, runner-up Cody and fan favorite Donny.
    Three good guys!

• James says:

Donny and Jocasta know fully well that Derrick will win no matter what. Derrick was aiming for a unanimous vote but the two certainly don’t want to give him the pleasure of matching Dan Gheesling’s record. Jocasta saw through Derrick’s jury management while Donny gave Cody a vote out of pity (and of course, we don’t want people going with the house).

• alistaircrane says:

I wanted Victoria to win. She is a sweetheart. Derrick is a scumbag and it was never more apparent than in last night’s finale.

2. Kj says:

Was anyone else watching Frankie’s face when Julie announced the final 3 for Americas Favorite! Best part of the night was him not even getting that! How did the whole winning because of your followers go there bud!? HOLLA!!

3. Amy S. says:

Soooooo happy that Derrick won! He was amazing all season and played the game perfectly without being a dick to people in the house. He just became my all time favorite player.

4. abz says:

Derrick deserved to win. Cody’s a nice guy but very stupid. If he wanted an easy win, he should’ve made the smart move and taken Victoria knowing she didn’t have a chance of winning.
    Jocasta is still stupid and I REALLY dislike her. Kept rolling my eyes when she was going on about fake prayer when everything about her from the bowties to her telephone thing to the way she talks for the camera and more is fake.
    While I enjoyed the Team America reveal, why weren’t the first five evicted houseguests even allowed to say anything or reveal any other stuff they say. That’s usually the best part of the finale.
    Wish Zach had won AF. I like Donny and all, but the end a few seasons from now I probably wo’t even remember him because he didn’t do much. Zach made this season memorable for me.

• mikey says:

I liked how Jacosta rated her gameplay a “90” on a scale of 1 to 100. She was over by about 85 points. (slightly higher than Victoria or Paola, but below Devin)

• BrittBrat says:

I wish Jocosta would have stopped yelling at the camera already. WE CAN HEAR YOU JOCASTA!!!!!! And I know she doesn’t think she played a great game!! A lot of delusional people in the house this season. Almost as bad as Frankie thinking he was famous and Victoria thinking she was a competitor!

• xwiseguyx says:

Jocasta was such a holy roller caricature and a sad example for religious people. Even her voting sucked…. Worst casting decision ever.. (yes, even worse than Frankie, who at least gave us a few weeks of entertainment before his true me me me personality came out…)

• kim says:

The telephone thing she stole from Will and Boogie!

5. SS says:

I am beyond happy Derrick won. He was the only one playing since the moment he entered the house. No one this season can top his game. Im happy happy Donny got AFP but mad he was so bitter. Donny told Jocosta that Derrick was controlling. Why them two have to be so bitter? Smh. Overall Im happy with this winner compared to last year winner. DERRICK IS OFFICALLY THE GREATS BIG BROTHER PLAYER EVER! Better then Dr. Will and Dan put together.

• LB says:

Donny told Jeff Schoder that he told Cody that if Cody made it to the Final 2, he (Donny) would vote for him. So, Donny was actually keeping his word to Cody with the vote, not being bitter.

6. gypsyess says:

So happy Derrick won! He played the best game ive ever seen. A real friend Cody was to take him and I think Derrick won by having someone like Cody in his life too!

7. Lizo says:

Not event a mention of Zankie in the highlights gallery? It was a pretty huge thing that deserved a mention.

• kim says:

They looked back at it last Friday. It was too weird for me and no I’m not anti gay I just thought it was strange and uncomfortable.

• alistaircrane says:

I loved Zankie and I am crossing my fingers that they had sex in the jury house!!!

• LB says:

In the interviews with Jeff S after – Zach started rubbing Jeff’s shoulder at one point. Jeff was like ‘that feels good’, and Zach turned to the camera and said Hear that ladies? I’m single.

8. safado says:

One of the best seasons in years. It was great to see it play out with relative honesty, minimal spitefulness, and none of the usual shifts of power–the ones that always seem so engineered.

Derrick and Cody were exactly the right ones to end as the final two.

But I’ll probably miss Caleb the most. He was hilarious, wasn’t he?

• alistaircrane says:

I agree with the first paragraph, but I can’t stand Derrick. He is a vile excuse for a human being. Just once I would like to see a genuinely good person like Victoria or Jocasta win this thing.

• safado says:

The “genuinely good” people are nearly always boring.

• abz says:

I’m confused. How was he a “vile excuse for a human being”?
        Also, Jocasta is a fool. You’re probably the only person I’ve seen who would have wanted her to win.

• CountryQueen says:

Oh, good person. You’re a former nerd herd member aren’t you. ;)

• savethedramaforyourmama says:

Are you for real? Jocasta’s true colors came thru last night, how does she know Derrick was fake praying…Oh Jocasta, for being a pastor, you sure are judgemental, you know what they say about assuming, she needs to pray for own fake self..drama girl. Victoria was very sweet, but she did not deserve to win. Derrick is awesome, he rocks…

9. BrittBrat says:

I think Derrick should have won (even if predictable). I’m also really happy that Donny won AFP. However, I thought the extra 30 minutes would have been used as a sort of reunion where we get some answers from the other house guests. I would have loved for Caleb to hear that he ruined Amber’s game by being creepy or at least ask Cody about flirting with Christine!

10. kim says:

Very happy with the outcome!
    Most shocking moment for me was people actually thinking Victoria dumbed down on purpose! LOL She couldn’t even answer Julie on how she played the game except she had a big heart. She played the game by being Derrick’s puppet.

11. Steven says:

Cody lost 500M by taking D instead of V. If D had won final hoh & didn’t think he’d beat Cody, he would have ditched him for the money. CBS needs to at least give the finale an extra half hour. CBS gets 3 hour bloc. No time to really talk with HG. Best part was Frankie face seeing he wasn’t even top 3 fave even with his sister tweeting her 18 mil followers to vote. Shows how much he was hated by fans. You should go to Twitter and see the zingbot account which zinged him good last night. Hope to never have to see if hear that fool again.

12. i chose derrick from the start that he was going 2 win it all now. my son-in-law owes me supper out at red lobster. can’t wait, bring on the lobster and shrimp baby hope u have lots of money.lol

13. Alex says:

Derrick is one of the most deserving winners ever. He controlled the season! It’s hard to compare players across different seasons, but he’s definitely among the very best ever. Cody grew on me toward the end, glad he got the 50k. Victoria had no game, still gets credit for staying loyal to Derrick and making it to third place.

14. dq18 says:

I said from day 1 that Derrick would win. I actually loved seeing him “work” this season, as he really did approach this from the stance of an undercover detective. He was good at blending in, yet making moves when he needed to. He slightly altered his appearance to fit in throughout the season, he lost much of his Rhode Island dialect to blend better, and he was supportive and friendly to everyone in the home. When someone realized how connected he was across the board, he made it a priority to make them the “house’s” target, when in reality he was just orchestrating what benefitted him.

I was pretty upset that they didn’t let any of the early eliminations went home. Imagine the wild stuff we could’ve gotten from Joey or Devin? That’s some golden programming they missed out on there!

15. webly3 says:

CLOSEST TIEBREAKER EVER = Janelle/Ivette f3 in S6. It was very depressing.

16. Topsy Turvy says:

Soooo happy Cody wore those jeans in the finale!!

• safado says:

I remember one of the girls, early on, saying that she copped a feel of Cody’s butt and it was firm. Jocasta then said “Cody has no butt!”

Jocasta was wrong about so many things.