True Detective: Colin Farrell Reportedly Confirms Season 2 Role

Colin Farrell True Detective Season 2

Well, at least one of True Detective‘s casting mysteries has apparently been solved.

Colin Farrell has told an Irish newspaper that he will appear in Season 2 of the HBO drama, following previous speculation that he and Taylor Kitsch were in talks for two of the anthology series’ leading roles.

RELATED  HBO Sets Premiere for Newsroom‘s Final Run, The Comeback and More

The Dublin-born actor reportedly told Ireland’s Sunday World, “I’m doing the second series. I’m so excited. I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five months to shoot.”

When reached by TVLine for comment on Sunday, an HBO spokesperson was not at this time able to confirm Farrell’s casting.

Farrell offered Sunday World no specifics of his role, but did note that filming will take place in Los Angeles.

Still possibly on the roster for Season 2 (aside from Kitsch): Mad Men‘s Elisabeth Moss and Swingers actor Vince Vaughn, among others.

Thoughts on Farrell’s casting? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. A. D. says:

Ugh…can’t stand him…no excitement for Season 2 with him AT ALL!

2. Dan says:

His casting is intriguing. I’ve only recently become a fan of his, especially his work in “In Bruges.” Very curious to see what kind of character he plays.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I have mixed feelings about Farrell so I’m going to have to wait and see how the rest of the casting plays out.

4. Joanne says:

Like him & was really looking forward to season 2 but all the speculation about the casting & how long it took to cast kinda took all the excitement out of it. Haven’t decided if I’m going to watch

• dj says:

Why would that bother you and keep you from watching? That makes no sense. Maybe they were looking for the right people for the roles rather than just picking anyone.

5. Whatever says:

Colin Farrell I like In Bruges was hilarious.
    Vince Vaughn not so much .He’s very annoying.

6. James says:

I hope Taylor Kitsch is in this. He deserves a break from the bad press and a chance to show his acting skills.

7. dj says:

LOVED him in In Brugges. Great movie. He’ll be a great addition to True Detective. I only wish it was longer than 8 weeks. Hopefully, the others will be confirmed soon.

8. Let see, if he can bring more thrill.

9. John Erickson says:

The worst!

10. rubytu says:

I wouldn’t mind Elizabeth Moss at all. We;ll see how it goes. It’s like Fargo without Billy Bob, meh.

11. Coal says:

Hollywood’s worst kept secret ? Now if only they could actually start shooting.

12. kma says:

He’s a great choice and pairing him with Moss or Rosario Dawson would also be great.

13. sarah j says:

Personally I like this news! I really hope Taylor Kitsch is the other lead, I love him! However he will always be Tim Riggins. LOL

14. Joe says:

What is with the True Detective HYPE???
    The mini-series was pretty good. But it’s over.

HBO is cash-grabbing a “series #2” but why does anyone care?
    It’s not going to be anything like the mini-series. I don’t even know why they are calling it TD2?
    Why not a different name? Because it’s a cash-grab!

• Fran says:

Well first of all- your information is incorrect. True Detective was never a miniseries. It is an anthology series. It was always going to have different characters and different stories each season (provided it got renewed of course). Its just like American Horror Story. So its not going to be True Detective 2, its just True Detective. That was the plan from the beginning. It’s not a “cash grab”.