Post Mortems

You're the Worst Finale Post Mortem: EP Talks Gretchen's Major Move, Downplays Lindsay's Big D

You're The Worst Season Finale

Thursday’s season finale of You’re the Worst found one couple taking a major step forward, while another — albeit hilariously so — went down in flames.

RELATED Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

So what’s to become of Jimmy, Gretchen, Lindsay, etc., should FX’s “romantic” comedy be given a much-deserved second season? Creator Stephen Falk was more than happy to give TVLine the dirty deets:

TVLINE | I’m obviously glad Jimmy and Gretchen are moving in together, but I’m more amused with how she burned her apartment down.
I try to always make sure that if we bring something up, it gets used. For instance, in Episode 4 we found out Gretchen has a vibrator attached to Christmas lights because she doesn’t have an extension chord. That could have just been a one-off joke, but a lot of the fun of the show is giving everything a double use. Also, the shop cat wasn’t just forgotten; we returned him to his home in the finale.

TVLINE | The looks we saw on their faces at the very end make me think Jimmy and Gretchen are having second thoughts. Accurate?
Well, it is terrifying, but it’s also an homage to the end of The Graduate. They’d just had this big moment where he stole her away from her wedding and they’re sitting on the back of the bus — and it wasn’t actually them acting, they just thought the take was over, and they looked away. Anytime we do anything, take any big step, there is a deep well of panic below that, even if we’re sure we want to do it. It’s f—ing scary. And particularly these people, they’re not going to settle in in Season 2 easily. I wanted to show that.

TVLINE | I also morbidly loved watching Lindsay’s world crumble around her, as well as Paul’s guilt over an emotional affair — especially when Lindsay was literally banging the mailman eight hours earlier.
[Laughs] Poor Lindsay. We had a funny idea, early in the season, for Jimmy and Gretchen to emerge as the sanest, most normal-seeming couple. Meanwhile, they’ve sort of destroyed everyone else’s relationship around them. It wasn’t intentional, but when you get too close to Jimmy and Gretchen, there can be a big fall-out. It tickles me to destroy people’s lives on screen, and it’s also a nice turn to realize that Paul’s not just the poor, cuckolded husband. To see him get a bit of balls in Episode 10 — even though it’s so silly the way he announces it as a “conscious uncoupling” — is very satisfying.

You're The Worst Season Finale

TVLINE | Considering they’re consciously uncoupling, and Lindsay’s unemployed, might she also have to move in with Jimmy?
That’s certainly a possibility, but the fact that Paul says he wants a divorce doesn’t necessarily mean that there will be one. I could completely change my mind, but right now I think there’s more between Paul and Lindsay to discover and have fun with as they try to figure out what comes next. … And he did mention the girl he’s having the emotional affair with, Amy from the chat room, so perhaps we’ll meet her.

TVLINE | Have you heard anything about a second season?
No, and that’s sort of the million-dollar question. We’re hopeful, and I think FX knows what they want to do. They play things very close to the vest. I didn’t know they were going to pick up the show until weeks and weeks after everyone told me it was good. They have strategic ways and timeframes to announce things. [Just being done with Season 1] is a little melancholy, because we all love the show so much. We’re a weird, insanely happy family, and while I’m tired and need a break, I’m excited about the prospect of getting another season. It’s been such a blast.

Your thoughts on You’re the Worst‘s season finale? (Hopefully the first of many.) Browse finale photos, grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Jss0058 says:

I love this show!! It’s easily my favorite show of the summer. I really hope fx gives it another season!!!

2. jan says:

what the heck did Lindsay throw in the trash at the start of the episode?

3. CJ says:

Great finale. Really, really, really hope there will be a second season!!

4. Charissa29 says:

I love this show, and hope that FX gives it a season 2!

5. Candice says:

I binged watched this show last week. The finale was my first time watching it live. I love it. I wish I had discovered it earlier. I need FX to renew this.

6. DavidSask says:

I hope this great show gets renewed and to the OP of article remove all the spam this is ridic!!!

7. Kris says:

Loved it! Didn’t expect to like this show after the pilot, but I still gave it a shot. Glad i did! Felt so bad for Lindsay in the finale..yet thinking that she deserved it. Hope this show gets renewed!

8. david7118 says:

Love this show. I’d love to see a spin-off starring Kether Donohue. She’s amazing! One thing I guess I missed, though I don’t know how, was the shop cat going back home. When did that happen??

9. Lottie says:

Již dálе necekejte, kontakty se sexy partnery jsou na dosah ruky.

Pro nás, jakožtο seznamovací stránku, je prioritou najít vám sexy partnera k ѵašíplné
    spokojenosti, a zprostredkovat vám kontakty dle ѵašicɦ predstav.
    Již dálе nečekejte, žhavé schůzky se sexy partnery jsou naa dosah ruky.

10. Lulu2 says:

Lindsay singing at the end was perfection.

11. David sanders says:

I also love this show. Very original. It is also set up so that the writers could easily go into so many more plot points ie Gretchen’s PR job, Lindsay working on her marriage or being newly single. dealing with Lindsay’s sister and her husband etc.
    Watching this show got me to watch “Married” which has also gotten pretty good after a slow start.

• Patrick says:

Disagree, somewhat vehemently, re: Married. The friends are hilarious. But the main couple are just awful.

• David sanders says:

I like the main couple ( in addition to the friends) because1. I love those actors. Judy Greer is great in everything and Nat Faxon is just a likable guy. 2. I think they sort of depict real life people. They wonder if there is more to life, Dashed dreams, job drudgery etc.
        Anyway, even though we disagree, I hope we can remain friends

• Dana says:

I started watching ‘Married’ as well because of YTW and I completely agree! I think it’s very realistic in a hilarious way. A lot of couples wonder what if or how cool it would be to drop everything and move to Costa Rica. FX did a great job picking up both shows. They are awesome! Now they just need to give them a season two.

12. Evan says:

This was the best surprise of the summer for me. I gave the show a shot, but was looking forward much more to “Married,” and within three episodes, I dropped that show and was hooked on “You’re the Worst.” Just a great, great show. Finale was wonderful. Praying hard for season two.

13. Barb says:

Please please please give this show a second season!

14. Elizabeth says:

We’ve been hooked on this show since the first episode (I don’t remember how I ended up watching it…I don’t actually watch anything else on FX). Please, please give it another season!