FX Renews Tyrant for Season 2

Tyrant Finale

That Tyrant reign just won’t let up.

FX on Thursday announced the renewal of its political drama for a 13-episode second season.

RELATED Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

“We’re so proud of Tyrant’s performance throughout its first season,” Nick Grad, President of Original Programming for FX Networks and FX Productions, said in a statement. “Howard Gordon is one of the best and most successful producers in this business. His ability to combine intelligent, edge-of-your-seat storytelling with events from the current geopolitical climate is truly groundbreaking. We look forward to seeing how Tyrant grows in season two.”

The drama series — starring Adam Rayner (Hunted) as the son of a Middle-Eastern tyrant forced to return to his roots after settling comfortably in the United States — drew 1.52 million viewers with its Aug. 26 season finale.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated

1. Nick says:

I liked this show but I didn’t love it. It does have several talented actors and a lot of promise, though. I’m glad to see FX investing in its programming.

2. MD says:

Let’s hope for a little more depth and complexity and character development next season vs. sweeping Dynasty-like plotlines with swelling music. Like the overall premise of the show but the writing could be a little stronger and less obvious.

3. enri says:

The wife and the kids were so distracting to me. I couldn’t get into it. I gave up after the 2nd episode

4. Tran says:

Great news. At least some of Season One episodes had “jumped the shark”.

5. Diz says:

I watched the first few episodes then it became background noise when watching it. I took it off the DVR.

6. FX will renew everything, they’re shows are really bad

• Sally says:

FX has some of the best shows on TV!

• The Bridge, The Strain, Fargo, Tyrant… They have some of the worst shows on TV

• Al Brink says:

I really hope you’re just being a troll. Fargo was one of the best television shows I have ever seen.

• Fargo was boring, I only watched it for Martin :/
            Not everyone who disagree with you is a troll

• Joey says:

@thegitfiles51: While it’s true that every time a person disagrees with you, they aren’t necessarily a troll, when a person says negative things about shows that have almost universal critical acclaim, their opinion is usually held in lower regard. …And while I like The Strain for the story it’s trying to tell, the writing on it is pretty horrendous. :P

• Benington says:

Wow, what are you watching id you believe those shows are some of the worst on TV or what is you IQ. It is OK, these shows show require a viewers IQ to be more than 80, as opposed to the CSI franchise or NCIS. Not that I dislike these shows but not exactly intellectual fare. I BET you love those shows!!!!

• No I don’t watch those shows, but it’s good to know you can still have a normal conversation on the internet.
            If someone have something nut insulting to say and really want to have a conversion I’ll be happy to respond.

• @Joey I would love to see this “universal critical acclaim”. And from real critics, not some internet bloggers

• dj says:

I guess you are more of a Reality TV kind of person? FX has awesome shows. One of the best stations on TV

• If by “Reality” you mean “shows that make sense” then yeah, I’m more of a “Reality” person :/

You can’t call The Strain a good show, or The Bridge where they just dropped the whole Aspergers thing, Tyrant? Good? How? They have a “facepalm” shows, which are shows you watch and you can’t stop facepalming every five seconds.

They have some good shows, but most of them are ending, their current shows are just bad.

• trainwreck says:

American Horror Story!!
          The Americans!!
          To of the best shows on T and both from FX.. i watched Fargo mainly because i was so sure that FX won’t air a ‘bad show’ – and it didn’t disappoint either..

• zipzappap says:

Your nuts fx has the best shows

• Cherrie says:

FX has good show and a large selection . If you don’t like it don’t watch but I bet you will find something that is very interesting.

7. Tim says:

I really hope they renew the Bridge

8. I can dig it, except that wife and her sister needs to go…ASAP! Or they need to expand her role, like make her a double agent or something to make her interesting!….

9. ScorpionGlow says:

Love this show. It absolutely did start to get dull, but I look forward to a new season. FX is losing some major shows this year and next year, so it makes sense for them to keep this one. Hopefully they will also bring on some new shows that people will be drawn in by. Losing SOA and Justified are two awful decisions, but I understand they weren’t network based.

10. Sally says:

YAY!! That’s great news..one of my favorite shows!!

11. ewgynyu says:

Good show, not so good as Homeland but Adam Rayner is not Claire Danes :D Lail, Moran Atias, is amazing ! Can’t wait for season 2 !

12. ninamags says:

Yay!!!

So excited by this news! Now, I wonder how Barry will escape his situation.

13. Yay! And you better bring Abdul back!

14. Heathers says:

Good. I hope they renew The Bridge also!

15. ann says:

The brother — Jamal — easily the craziest guy on TV. Scary crazy!

16. Kevin in CT says:

Shows like Longmire get cancelled and something like Tyrant gets renewed?? Wait..it must be because Tyrant has the now obligatory gay character in it even though gays (like jews) are a very small but LOUD minority.

• Fran says:

Or you know, the shows are on two totally different networks and each have different standards for renewing shows…. But by all means, make it out to be something its not.

• Joey says:

Hm, nice to see anti-Semitism and homophobia are alive and well on TVLine. …That was sarcasm, in case you didn’t notice.

17. Ron says:

Okay, so I reluctantly stayed with this show until the season 1 finale (missing 2 nonconsecutive episodes throughout season 1). It had its moments, but overall was quite underwhelming in several areas. Despite the lackluster first season and my apathetic feelings towards it, I’ve invested enough time in it to check out season 2. If season 2 is markedly better, I’ll happily stick around! It’s a show, if approved upon, I’d love to study and analyze–and also simply enjoy. I will give season 2 roughly 3 or 4 episodes before I make my judgment call.

18. drhenning says:

Another good decision but I wonder where it will be produced since everywhere it was shot last season is overrun with ISIS… Happy for Jennifer Finnigan that a show of hers isn’t dumped after 1 season..

19. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Good! FX has really great shows I hope season 2 will kick it up a notch. hahaha the wife wanted to stay and wanted to know what’s going on well bitch looks like you’re staying put! Also please get rid of the son he’s annoying!

20. mary l diaz says:

love this show so glad its been renewed

21. Lillie says:

Excellent show. I looked forwarded each week for the next episode. Loved that i could not predict the weekly outcomes.

22. marci says:

Please don’t cancel this series, it is so well done,really love it

23. Sheila says:

This is a terrific show. It’s great to see something original. Keep up the good work and keep the seasons coming. . PLZZZZZZ

24. I agree with Al Bink , Fargo was awesome, just the right amount of humor with the story line .I wish it was a longer series, I hated to see it end..I love FX shows…I also am so excited they decided to renew Tyrant..it was well written and the cast were just right for their parts…Hard to believe some of you out there didn’t like either of these shows…too many reality shows on TV now. I am a fan of Strain also… I also agree with Sally..FX has some of the best shows>>> :)

25. Megan says:

I liked the first season but noticed it’s been many months since the season finale. When will the second season air???

26. Danny says:

Wife & I loved the series. Read a lot of the reviews & find myself stunned it wasn’t a instant hit. We are excited to see another season. We all should appreciate how complicated it is to film anywhere in the Middle East in these times of violence in this region . Bravo for the bravery of all the Actors, Producers, Writers, & all support personnel for bringing us real drama that keeps you guessing and at the edge of your seat. Can’t wait .

27. Brandy says:

I am so happy to hear that Tyrant is returning for season 2, There is more to be told of this very unique story. The main characters are well cast and the plot has a good blend of sex and intrigue. Any chance of The Bridge making a return? Another great show with endless possibilities. FX does a great job of bringing something a little different and exciting to TV.

28. The Nielson ratings need to take in account that people tape some episodes from series due to multiple mini series and in fact the NBA tournaments were going on during part of some of these episodes and watched at a later date. The ratings for “TYRANT” ARE EXTREMELY HIGH AND TAPINGS FROM TIBOS, GENIES, AND DVR’S SHOULD BE COUNTED WHEN DECIDING WHETHER OR NOT TO HAVE ANOTHER SEASON! SEASON 2 HAS BEEN EXCELLENT AND SHOULD BE RENEWED FOR SEASON 3.
    Sincerely,
    Lori Ann Perry Andrews

29. The Nielson Ratings for Tyrant Season 2 would be much higher if they would count the tapings from people who must watch at a later date due to work, other series running at the same time as Tyrant. People now tape their favorite shows on Tibos, DVR, Hopper, and the Genie! Season two of “TYRANT” HAS BEEN AWESOME! ALSO THE RARINGS MAY HAVE SHOWN DIFFERENTLY DURING THE NBA FINALS. However; I think a lot of people tape series and also watch them after the series is completely over. With the ability to fast forward and return to a scene that you might have an interruption and then be able to return to the particular episode and watch! There should definitely be a 3rd Season production of Tyrant! Will do whatever it takes to secure another Season.

Sincerely,
    Lori Ann Perry Andrews

• L.lynch says:

Tyrant was the only drama series I watched….Love the weekly episodes and made sure I never missed it. If it has been cancelled permanently…. all I can say is shame shame. The only series worth watching in my judgement. The acting was superb and location and dress were genuinely colorful….I am sure that those who enjoyed the series are as disappointed as myself.