Cougar Town Final Season Twist: [Spoiler] to Exit Early

Cougar Town Season 6

Cougar Town is losing one of its longtime residents.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Brian Van Holt — who has played Bobby “Penny Can” Cobb since the show’s launch on ABC in 2009 — will depart at the start of the TBS comedy’s sixth and final season.

RELATED Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 of Your Returning Favorites

According to a C-Town insider, Van Holt — who recently wrapped production on the Syfy limited series Ascension — is leaving early to pursue other opportunities.

The Cul-de-Sac Crew is set to bid farewell to Van Holt’s Bobby in the Season 6 premiere, which is slated to air in early 2015.

1. torimelching says:

I figured it was him. There has been cast photos since they started filming on twitter and he has been absent which is very rare. I wish he would have stayed since it’s the last year but I understand.

2. jenna says:

sad that he won’t be in the finale :( wonder if he’ll take off with Rigs (if they’re still together?)

3. Kat says:

Nooooooo! He better be back in the finale, for what I assume will involve the birth of the baby.

4. Gretchen says:

No! I love Bobby!

5. alistaircrane says:

I love Bobby and wish he’d stay til the end, but at least he’ll appear in half the season (and likely make a cameo in the 100th episode or finale).

6. Eric says:

Bobby was probably my favorite character on the series, so this makes me extremely sad.

7. Elly says:

I bet a little bit was Courtney Cox getting engaged. That couldn’t be fun to deal with at work.

• Pinky says:

Why is that??

• jbj says:

Courtney Cox and Brian Van Holt were an item after her separation from David Arquette. I didn’t they had broken up until her engagement to someone else was announced. Apparently, he was the definition of a rebound and got burned.

• jbj says:

“I didn’t know” and
          “[he] got double burned”

• TV Gord says:

My recollection is that the photos that were published with them together were actually shots from a scene on the show, and that there was no truth to those rumors. If I’m wrong, I’m sure I’ll be corrected. ;-)

• Abby says:

I think when David Arquette was going through that weird faze of calling the Howard Stern show to spill intimate details about his marriage and separation he said she was having an emtional affair on set and then months later during another radio phone up he confirmed that the two of them (Courtney and Brian) had since broken up so I think they likely were really involved at one point.

• jbj says:

That’s what I was thinking!

8. Babybop says:

I wonder how they’ll write him off.

9. edlowthegreat says:

This crushes me. Everyone makes the “crew” without everyone the “crew” just turns into some people standing around with wine

10. He’s been on The Bridge as well so he probably is getting a lot more opportunities. Good for him.

11. Et al says:

Is he leaving to release a terrible rap album?

12. DanT2590 says:

He’s going to be missed. It’s a shame the show can’t end with the original cast! But you gotta do what you gotta do!

13. Darren says:

Everyone knows the real reason. He and Courtney had an affair and he broke it off. She got him fired. End of story.

14. T says:

It will be different without him but he was my least favorite character on the show by far so I guess it won’t matter much to me. Can’t really blame a guy for trying to get a new show when they know this is the last season. As for the whole Courtney got him fired thing it seems a little late for that fling was like two years ago.

15. jake says:

Crap – no more Penny Can.

16. dman6015 says:

Well, this is one show that definitely wasn’t meant to have #sixseasonsandamovie. It’s terrible now and will only be worse with a favored character missing all season.

17. liz says:

seriously?! You need the whole crew together!! Not cool.

18. Liza says:

This news sucks!!! I love Bobby!!! I can’t imagine the gang without him. Very unhappy about this!!!

19. tony says:

I don’t know the show but the writer not even telling the actor before the media is rather disgraceful.

20. JJ says:

Nooo what is Andy going to do without Bobby? What a bummer. :[

21. Television says:

He was the best thing on the show. Only one that was funny, fighting the taco man. I’m not going to bother watching the last season if they get rid of him early on. I’m guessing maybe it is because of Cox dumping him, he probably doesnt want to keep working around someone like her. The show has really gone down hill anyway, took a believeable show and turned it into a circus act.

22. Rocket Jey says:

It’s not going to be the same without Bobby! Good luck Brian😍

23. Mike Candyman says:

Just watched 1st episode of last season and was unaware of Brian Van Holt’s intent to leave. He plays such a fun, goofy part and will truly be missed. Penny Can!

24. Nielsen says:

He never should have dated Courtney. I’ll bet that has something to do with his early exit. He will be missed. It won’t be the same without him.

25. Nielsen says:

Too bad this article doesn’t say why he left.

26. leslie says:

My guess… Courtneys affair with him and then her recent marriage left things iffy. I would hope she as producer etc wouldnt have fired him for a relationship gone wrong. Love love this show but this season so far sucks.

27. leslie says:

Whats the point? You dont post. Ill just social media my disappointment. You cant block my comments there.

28. leslie says:

Loved the first 4 seasons of cougar town. Seems as though they fired all the writers after that. This last season is the worst ever!!! Not funny at all. Sad.

29. Zaki says:

Bobby Cobb is hands down my favorite actor on Cougar Town. His character is so original, authentic, down to earth, funny, spontaneous. For me, he is the heart and soul of the show. I know, I know Courtney is the main star, but Bobby Cobb has grit and soul. A truly Groovy Man <3

30. Dana Schares says:

Cougar Town is not the same without Bobby!

31. Shannon says:

Bobby is the best part….. Catching up with season 6 today now I don’t want to.