Saturday Night Live Adds Michael Che as Weekend Update Host, Replacing....

Saturday Night Live Michael Che

Saturday Night Live‘s Weekend Update desk is getting another makeover.

In its second iteration since Seth Meyers left the NBC sketch series last winter to host Late Night, Weekend Update as Season 40 opens will be cohosted by SNL scribe/sometime Daily Show correspondent Michael Che and… second-year newsreader Colin Jost.

RELATED Saturday Night Live Season 40: Chris Pratt, Sarah Silverman Picked as First Hosts

“This is about a new era, what feels appropriate for now,” SNL boss Lorne Michaels told the New York Times, which broke the news. “That’s why we did a lot of combinations and tests, and this is kind of where we came out.”

Also a stand-up comic, Che has been named one of Rolling Stone’s “50 Funniest People” and Variety’s “Top 10 Comics to Watch.”

Cecily Strong exiting Weekend Update will ostensibly allow her to appear in more sketches, Michaels told the paper.

Among SNL‘s other Season 40 changes, one-and-done players Brooks Wheelan, Nöel Wells and John Milhiser aren’t returning, Nick Rutherford and Alison Rich have joined the writing staff, and the show is expected to in some way pay tribute to longtime announcer Don Pardo, who passed away last month.

Parks and Rec cut-up Chris Pratt will host the Sept. 27 season opener, with musical guest Ariana Grande.

1. Et al says:

Wait… They’re KEEPING Jost? Lorne needs his head examined.

• Elizabeth says:

That was my response as well. Jost is awful in this role.

• DL says:

Completely agree. I’m baffled. When I first clicked on this article, I was inwardly celebrating, because I thought Weekend Update would be Che and Cecily Strong. Now, I’m just shaking my head.

• Kim R says:

Yes, I thought that was what the article was going to be about, that they were replacing him. I’m kind of surprised. I didn’t think he was a good fit at all last season. He always looks smug. Not his fault but still……

• me says:

It’s probably because his baby face is easy on the eyes. He is cute when he makes mistakes. I prefer him over Cecily but I think that neither one is particularly suited for the Weekend Update segment

2. Liam Tait says:

Do we need Cecily in more sketches? Even behind the desk she was still a dominant personality on the show. I wish Che was replacing Jost, do we need him update desk? I didn’t laugh at one of his jokes this last year while Cecily was very funny in her brief stint as a host.

• M3rc Nate says:

I agree with this. I love Cecily, i think i love her most when she is being herself (at the desk) but i will enjoy her doing more skits and what not. But ya, Jost is very very bland, im excited about Che but i would prefer Che with Cecily most.

3. Maria says:

NOT HAPPY!!! They should replace JOST!!!

4. Mike R says:

Admittedly, I’m pissed that he is replacing Cecily, as I thought she did a fantastic job anchoring WU and easily outshines Jost in every episode. I just don’t understand why Cecily had to leave, Jost lacked any sort of critical praise, flopped on the majority of his jokes, yet he gets to stay and Cecily has to go, why? I hope it was her choice, because otherwise this is so disappointing.

On another note, this guys seems funny, and I’m looking forward to seeing his take at the update desk, I just wish Cecily wasn’t leaving.

5. Tricia says:

I look forward to the return of her characters at the update desk.

And I feel the need to throw in that I like Jost since the haters are out on full force.

6. James says:

I don’t like Jost’s face.

7. MJ says:

Replaced the wrong host….

8. Jeff B says:

I was shocked, I just assumed he was replacing Jost, when I clicked on the tweet

9. Deena says:

I love the bits Michael Che has done for The Daily Show. I hope he remains a correspondent there as well as bringing something new and exciting to Weekend Update.

10. Cody says:

This just shows that they’re gonna turn Cecily into the new IT girl

• Jonathan says:

Kate McKinnon gets all the accolades, but Cecily is about the only cast member that kept me watching last year.

• fouxdafafa says:

Why couldn’t Strong be the new IT player and still host Weekend Update? That formula worked out just fine for Tina Fey.

And agree with everyone – Jost is HORRIBLE. Worst part of the show. I feel like the show overall has taken a pretty bad turn for the worst with him as head writer after Meyers left. And I was never a huge fan of Meyers.

11. Audrey E. says:

Well, that wasn’t what anyone expected this article to say.
    Perhaps, Cecily was replaced because Lorne needed her back in sketches after what many called a lackluster season. If you read between the lines of his quote, that’s pretty much what he’s saying.

12. Rob says:

Happy that there’s a person of color behind the desk. That makes me happy. What makes me mad is that Cecily, who was just hitting her stride, is being ousted. If she decided this on her own (which I doubt very much) then that’s fine. But if Michaels thinks Jost is better than Cecily, he’s sorely mistaken. Jost may be a good writer but he’s no Seth Meyers.

• Et al says:

I disagree. The show has been unwatchable under Jost’s tenure as head writer (or co-head… whatever). I know people always complain SNL is bad, but since he came on board the show has been especially bad.

• Maggie says:

So true. Jost is failing at both his jobs. Jost is awful at Weekend Update, and the quality of the writing is at an all-time low.

13. kat says:

At least now we will find out what had happened in the news, etc.

14. bar says:

I’m MAD. Cecily better be in tons of sketches because she was honestly super funny behind the desk and was already prominent in sketches. I would have really liked her to be paired up with another woman!

15. jo jo jo says:

Jost is just so so so bad. Awful. I have seen michael on best week ever.. and he’s funny. But keeping Colin just proves Lorne is losing his touch

16. Tran says:

OH NO! Didn’t see this coming. Wish Cecily Strong would’ve stay on Weekend Update and she deserves it. Cecily is the reason I adore her so much on Update and she killed it last season. Hate to wonder if Update’s new dynamic duo of Colin Jost and Michael Che could spelled the end for SNL.

17. Kevin says:

Complete PC BS!

18. CK says:

Is there reason why Jost is still there? Is he related to anyone? Does he appeal to a certain demographic? He is officially the Matt Lauer of Weekend Update. I’m calling it now.

19. ggny says:

If this is to turn Cecily into the next star of SNL im all for it. She was really great in the few sketches she was apart of. But if this mean less Cecily we will RIOT

20. considering that Jost was clearly the weakest link, this is disappointing. hope Che lights it up and just takes it over out right, Cecily was at least entertaining.

21. Robby Horine says:

Bring back Norm or Colin Quinn.

22. S says:

WHAT?!? Cecily a Strong and Kate McKinnon ARE SNL right now! I have no idea how taking away arguably one the smartest, funniest women on TV today “feels current”. It FEELS like old boys clubs rules in play yet again. How disappointing.

23. murley says:

Maybe this means the return of the girl you wish you hadn’t started a conversation with at a party.

24. Carlie says:

Not happy at all! Cecily was awesome at update. I find Colin rather boring.

25. Chris from Raleigh says:

In the words of Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler about keeping Colin Jost over Cecily Strong….Really ?!?!?!

26. Joey Padron says:

I’ll miss Cecily on Update. Michael ache will do great as co-host. He’s a funny comedian.

27. I just like the valuable information you
    provide for your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and take
    a look at once more right here frequently. I am
    rather certain I’ll be told plenty of new stuff proper right
    here! Best of luck for the following!

28. Cecily was so good as a host! This is completely baffling.

29. Leigh says:

Don’t you think it may have been appropriate to mention in your article that he is currently a regular on “The Daily Show”. Jeez, you guys are loosing it.

30. meresger says:

Ausiello said it. Lame excuse. This is terrible.

31. raftrap says:

I think this is actually good news, I’m glad Cecily was taken from the Update desk, it never worked for me, she’s incredibly funny but Weekend Update was just a waste of her time. Hopefully the new WU dynamic works, but definitely freeing Cecily to do more characters (hopefuly The Girl you wish you hadn’t….. returns) is great news to me.

32. Maybe they think Cecily was too good and that’s what made Jost look bad. I don’t mind the change if Cecily is still on the show, but I think I’d rather have Che alone than Jost with Che.

33. Mac says:

With luck Che will be awesome, they’ll kick Jost to the curb, and Che can just fly solo. I’d be pretty ok with that.

34. Colin Jost is ridic… in a few episodes he will be replaced…

35. Brandy says:

LAME. I read Cecily asked to be in more sketches, but this is definitely the wrong move.

36. Elaine says:

I agree with the majority. Jost just never seemed to take off in this spot. He just doesn’t deliver the lines. I’d have loved to see Che and Cecily do the news. Much better idea. I mean I hope I’m wrong cause the news is the one fairly consistent segment for me over the years. I doubt it, though. Lorne Michaels has made some very questionable cast decisions over the past 20 years.

37. Laura says:

Brings in an African American (yay), but kicks out the woman (boo). – typical Lorne Michaels.

38. While I can sympathize with thinking Cecily might be better in sketches (not sold on that but I’ll give it a ‘fair enough’) Jost is AWFUL. Jost is like Jordan Klepper’s lamer brother, and while I like Klepper he himself has felt like a watered down Jason Jones. It’s like we’re pairing someone talented with a photocopy of a photocopy.

39. dman6015 says:

Got rid of the wrong person. Jost is just horrendous. Absolutely terrible. He should just go back to the writer’s room. Ugh.

40. Patrick says:

I don’t know how well the two host system works, anyway. Look, Cecily was good in WU, but its not like she was fantastic a la Fey or Poehler. Both of them had great chemistry with their nominal partners, although I would bet that they would have great chemistry with almost anyone.
    Point being, Cecily was good, but she does need to be freed up for more skits. They will see how Che works with Jost. Maybe he got better in the off season. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Jost isn’t back at some point this year, or next year, if this doesn’t work out.

41. Cecily Strong was definitely NOT the problem in the current co-hosts.

42. Jonathan says:

Cecily is fantastic. It’s time to replace Lorne.

43. English says:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! That man has lost is freakin mind!

44. LaBete says:

Wait…What? It’s Jost that should be replaced, not Strong!

45. knd says:

They should get rid of Colin and keep Cicely. He is definitely the weakest link in that equation.

46. Liz says:

I like Michael Che and feel that he would be a good fit with Colin Jost. Btw, all this negativity for Jost surprises me. Of course, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I don’t consider him horrible at all.

47. Maggie says:

I really like Michael Che on The Daily Show. I’m sorry to see him leave TDS, but he’ll be great on SNL. I hope that Colin Jost has spent the summer learning how to deliver a joke, because being next to a pro like Che is going to be embarrassing for Jost if he hasn’t improved from last season.

48. TD says:

1) I have read that Cecily Strong asked to be in more sketches. 2) If we get to see the Girl Who You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With back on WU sometimes, that makes me happy. 3) Strong was obviously much stronger than Jost, but I don’t recall anyone last year raving over her performance on WU. At best, people were saying she was finding her footing. Now all of a sudden everyone is exclaiming she was the best thing since Amy and Tina on WU. 4) Yes, Jost is incredibly bland. But sometimes it’s more about the team than the individuals. Lorne Michaels said the team of Jost and Che worked better, so I’ll be willing to hold my judgment and see how it goes. (Not that I fully trust Lorne Michaels’ judgment–he has many, many obvious misfires to his name.)