Nurse Jackie to End After Season 7

NurseJackie_FinalSeason

Nurse Jackie is getting ready to make her final rounds.

Showtime announced Wednesday that the show’s upcoming seventh season — which is set to premiere in 2015 — will also be its final one.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites

The cast of Nurse Jackie — including Emmy winners Edie Falco and Merritt Wever — helped break the news with a photo taken during the first table read for the Season 7 premiere (see above).

“Edie is one of our finest actresses,” said David Nevins, President, Showtime Networks, in a release. “We are so honored to have had her on the network. She creates indelible characters and Nurse Jackie Peyton is no exception. I know this final season will bring her story to a close that will satisfy the ever-growing number of loyal viewers who have been entranced and, at times, appalled by Jackie through the years.”

Showtime said “yes” to a Season 7 back in March — before Season 6 had even premiered — while noting that cast member Peter Facinelli was exiting the comedy.

Last month, the pay cabler broke the news that Emmy-winner Tony Shalhoub had joined the series in the recurring role of Dr. Bernard Prince, a new ER doctor who in addition to having “a great bedside manner and a special touch with his boss, Gloria Akalitus (Anna Deavere Smith),” will offer Jackie some desperately needed friendship.

Sad about Nurse Jackie coming to its inevitable end? Or is the timing right for a conclusion to this story? Sound off below!

1. MJ says:

I love the show but I am kinda happy about this. I was not impressed with the story lines last year. I hated who Jackie became last season with how she was treating her boyfriend and her sponsor and running back to Eddie and then going to run away from it all. She passed rock bottom.

2. Nadine says:

Aww gonna miss it

3. Charlie pinto says:

I really like this show. Sorry to see it end.

4. rod says:

I still cant believe Nurse Jackie outlived United States of Tara

5. John Moshier says:

love the show but quit calling it a comedy killing nomineys for true comedys

6. cdhaskell says:

I hope that Nurse Jackie will end with a happy ending with all the loose ending tie up.

7. Kubrick says:

Seven seems to be the magic number for cable ahows to go out on. The shield, the closer, SOA.

8. Mary Ann says:

Jackie became so unlikeable during the last season that I was considering removing it from my season pass. I guess since they are going to wrap it up, I will tune it to see how it all works out.

9. Sandy says:

While Nurse Jackie is one of my favorites, I think it is taking a bow at the perfect time. Edie Falco’s portrayal was brilliant as that of a narcissistic drug addict only thinking of her next high and where she was going to get it from – friends, family ad co-workers be damned. That said, Jackie’s behavior during the last season was just plain uncomfortable for me to watch. I found myself more interested in the supporting cast. Sure, I am cheering on Jackie and hoping she comes out the other side, but there weren’t too many other places the writers could have taken this show and this character.

10. HAP says:

Like many others posting here, I really enjoyed the show, but agree that seven seasons is enough. That said, wouldn’t it be a scream if Tony Shaloub injected new life into the show making the decision to end the series somewhat premature?

11. Kyle says:

Finally. Should’ve ended in season 5. S6 was just bad, story moving in circles, Jackie making the same mistakes over and over. I had given up, but since it’s the final season, I might go through this last batch of episodes.

12. Susan says:

I love Nurse Jackie and don’t want it to end! I am excited that Tony Shalhoub will be on the show, even it it’s only for the one season. It does however make me sad that the show is ending.

13. EJ says:

I can’t believe I’m the first person here to express hope that Eve Best will come back by the end as Dr. O’Hara. Her relationship with Jackie was the strongest ever on the show.

14. Sharon Arnold says:

I really hate to see it end. I have been a big fan of Ms. Falco since The Sopranos. I think that the whole cast had great chemistry, and wait to see what they all do next.

15. Liz says:

While I will miss it, the timing is right for the series to end. Unlike MJ, I liked last season and want to see if Jackie gets her sh*t together or ends up dead. Yeah, I said it.

16. rt says:

I love Nurse Jackie sad to hear its final season. this was a great show love Edie Falco and Merrett Weaver.

17. Brooke says:

Funny, I thought we already knew this. Maybe I just assumed, especially with how many original cast members we’ve lost (and I’m still not over losing Mo-Mo).

18. I want this show to end on a dark note. I kind of hope she ODs and dies. On a lighter note, I really hope Morris Chestnut returns to sweep Zoey off her feet a la “An Officer and a Gentleman.”

19. Ann says:

I hate to see this great show end. I feel as do most of my family and friends like we know these people and what makes them human. My life will be missing 30 minutes of pure joy, saddness, suprises, and unbelieveable love when it is gone! Good bye friends.

20. Arlene says:

will miss everything about this show… seriously sad to read this

21. Such a great, underrated show. The writing was never afraid to showcase Jackie in a bad light, she is after all, a sociopath. So it’s a good time for the show to end while it still has some creative juices left.

22. Mike Driscoll says:

I agree. It’s time to end Nurse Jackie. She has been headed this way for seven years. But let her go down in flames. Edie Flaco deserves a spectacular exist.

23. Alma says:

Well at least this time Showtime gave the fans and writers a season’s notice to ensure a proper ending. Wish they’d done the same for The Borgias. Showtime was dead to me after that.

24. Russell Langley says:

I’m going to miss Zoe

25. she says:

just learned about this now. I’m saddened by this news. I really love nurse jackie.. :(

26. Jim says:

Do NOT want such a great cast and writers to leave our television viewing. Hard to beat this program.

27. Ana says:

I love nurse jackie so much must have watched these epsoides about 50 times esch. cannot get enough. Waiting desperately for new shows, cant Believe that it’s going to end.

28. Paul Merrill says:

Kudos to Showtime for making this decision up front, rather than doing like other networks (looking at you, Syfy and USA) who cancel shows with no warning leaving open-ended plot lines. This has been a great show and I’m interested to see how they decide to wrap it up.

29. Kate says:

FINALLY A SHOW WITH LAUGHS, BRAINS, BRAWN, AND REALITY SHOWS UP JUST TO BE SHUT DOWN….STUPID TV MOGULS

30. Kate says:

PLEASE DON’T GET RID OF THIS SHOW!!!!!!!

31. Misty Rodriguez says:

I LOVE NURSE JACKIE DON’T GO

32. christine says:

NO I AM SO DISSAPOINTED KNOWING THIS IS THE LAST SEASON I HAVE CRIED AND YET LAUGHED SO HARD I COULDNT CATCH MY BREATH THIS SHOW IN SO MANY WAYS HAS TAUGHT ME AND SHOWED ME REAL LIFE AND HOW FAR YOU CAN GO WITH THIS ADDICTION ALL I HOPE IS THAT SO MANY VIEWERS LEARNED AS MUCH AS I DID WATCH THIS EVEN WITHOUT HER USING I NWOULD STILL CONTIN UE TO WATCH YEAR AFTER YEAR THE ACTING THE WRITERS DO SUCH A WONDERFUL JOB GIVING THESE TERRIFIC ACTORS SUCH WONDERFUL MATERIAL TO WORK WITH SO YES I AM DISAPPOINTED CAUSE THIS SHOW WAS SO REAL IN SO MANY WAYS I COULDNT WAIT TO SEE NEXT EPISODE I WILL MISS THAT VERY MUCH!!!!! THANK YOU TO THE CAST AND WRITERS FOR MAKING SUCH A INSPIRING SHOW TO WATCH EVERY WEEK!!

33. juli says:

Good show don’t want it to end love all the characters. I worked in a few hospitals and that’s how staff really act lots of drama

34. J Rivera says:

I’m sad about the show ending. I think Tony Shaloub can turn it around. Try to keep it one for at least one more season. I love this show.

35. mike says:

Great show……why do they take off all the great shows. Seriously. Don’t cancel

36. Gwen says:

Hello! Jackie shouldn’t be ending because her life hasn’t completely unfolded. We still need to see where she and Eddie’s relationship is going…how the hospital closing will affect everyone’s life…see the birth of her Exe’s baby be born…and see her daughters grow. Those are just to name a few. Meanwhile thank you for producing such a real life drama sharing just a peek of what so many in the Medical fields life could be like and adding solutions

37. Susan says:

Love this show! Please continue after season 7….

38. Bernie Glasby says:

This show was so well done that I believe you could have gone a couple more seasons…as a new watcher I’m disapointed in its end although we know its a reality for most addicts ..I would have preferred a happier ending for such a good nurse