It's Official: James Corden to Replace Craig Ferguson as Late Late Show Host

Late Late Show James Corden

The Late Late Show’s great Scot is being replaced by a Brit.

CBS on Monday officially announced that which was rumored a month ago — that actor/comedian James Corden, 36, has been tapped to take over hosting duties for the late-night talker in 2015.

Corden thus succeeds Craig Ferguson, who in April announced his intention to leave Late Late Show after 10 years, signing off this December.

RELATED Craig Ferguson Eyes Deal for Syndicated 7pm Talk Show

“James Corden is a rare entertainment force who combines irresistible charm, warmth and originality with a diverse range of creative instincts and performance talent,” CBS Entertainment chairman Nina Tassler said in a statement. “He is the ultimate multi-hyphenate — a writer, creator and performer who is loved and respected in every medium he touches, including theater, comedy, music, film and television.”

Corden has appeared on a number of British TV programs, including Doctor Who (playing Craig Owens), Gavin & Stacey (Which he cocreated, winning a BAFTA Television Award for his performance), The Wrong Mans (for which he earned a Royal Television Society Award) and Fat Friends. He’ll also appear in Disney’s upcoming musical movie Into the Woods, as the Baker. In 2012, he won a Tony Award for his work in the play One Man, Two Guvnors.

“I can’t describe how thrilled and honoured I am to be taking over from the brilliant Craig Ferguson,” Corden said in a statement. “I can’t wait to get started, and will do my very best to make a show America will enjoy.”

Ferguson publicly offered his congratulations (and official endorsement) to Corden shortly after the news was officially confirmed:

VIDEO Jimmy Kimmel Mocks Friends Reunion Backlash: Jen Aniston Was Not ‘Pissed’

The creative elements, as well as the producers and location, for the Corden-hosted Late Late Show will be determined and announced at a later date.

(Still not sure who Corden is? Check out our gallery below for some of his most memorable roles.)

1. Paz says:

Looking forward to it.

2. Ezzy Klein says:

Bye Bye Late Show. You Won’t Last Without Craig.

3. kd83954 says:

He’s fantastic –I’ve enjoyed him in everything I’ve seen him in. Incredibly funny, sharp, and smart. I think he’ll be a great replacement for Craig Ferguson.

4. cousinrk says:

Not exactly an inspired choice.

• Elf says:

Agreed. So many other directions they could’ve gone. It would be nice to know who else was considered or if CBS just said “get another funny guy from the UK not well-known in the US.” Joan Rivers’ passing last week reminded us there have been no women hosts on late night network TV since her Fox show was cancelled, back in what, 1945? And no minority hosts ever, for that matter. (Arsenio was syndicated, as was Stephanie Miller’s late night show way back when…)

Corden may turn out to be the funniest guy on the planet and have an incredible show, but on the surface the choice just smacks of “more of the same” and “playing it safe.”

5. Tran says:

The Late Late Show is replacing a Scot for a Brit. James Corden is going to be so funny as he takes over for Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show in 2015. Hope he’ll give Seth Meyers a run for his money. Talk about how CBS is shaking up its late night line-up much like NBC did back in February. Let’s face it: Late Show with Stephen Colbert and now The Late Late Show with James Corden.

6. Robby Horine says:

CBS should have given Craig “Late Show”. Now both Late Show and Late Late Show will fail.

7. Sandy says:

Doesn’t matter who “replaces” Craig Ferguson – I won’t be watching Late Late without Craig, Geoff & Secretariat. Craig Ferguson is an original; he will be very much missed.

• Tran says:

Couldn’t agree more. Not only that I’m going to miss Craig but Geoff Peterson the robot and Secretariat the horse. These three were hilarious when they took over the April Fools Day episode of The Price is Right (Late Late Show/Price is Right switcheroo).

8. Mags from Essex, UK says:

He’s a bit like marmite in the UK

9. Christine says:

Have to disagree with others here. Craig is brilliant and I love him, but it shows how much uninspired he is lately. He just does the same old gimmicks that end up being more unfunny every time he does them. I think it’s obvious he is more than ready to move on from the Late Late Show. He even said himself he wanted to stop 2 years ago, but the network wanted him to stay.
    So I welcome his replacement. I don’t know anything about this man (sue me), but he seems like a nice choice.

• dman6015 says:

That’s why he’s leaving. It’s not because he didn’t get the Late Show. He didn’t want it. He’s just burnt out after 10 years.

• David4 says:

And Craig for years said when Letterman leaves he would too. He doesn’t care at all and that’s what makes the show so great.

• cdhaskell says:

I felt sorry for the new host. Good luck to the future.

• S. says:

I’ve followed Craig for a long time and I’ve never heard him declare ‘when Dave goes, I go.’ He thought about leaving 2 years ago and CBS talked him out of it, giving him a slightly bigger studio. Not only that, he tried to leave this time before Dave announced and they asked him to wait because Dave was going and they wanted to deal with that first. He had no idea Dave was retiring. He didn’t think he’d work out at 11:30, plus he’d probably have to move to NYC. CBS isn’t gonna get rid of the Ed Sullivan as their big late night venue. Colbert is already in NYC and is awesome. It just made sense. I wished Craig would get the opportunity to show what he could do with that money and a band, but I guess he didn’t want it.

10. herman1959 says:

Oops, I thought it was “official” a few weeks ago. Anyway, to add to the list of British TV shows Corden has been on – Teachers – he had about 30 seconds worth of screen time as one of the students in an old episode I saw just recently. He is hilarious in scripted work; good luck.

11. Liz says:

Not many Americans are familiar with this guy. It is going to be interesting to see how it goes. While I’m familiar with him and like him, I won’t be watching. The Late, Late Show is done for me.

12. cdhaskell says:

Good luck to the newest The Late Late Show host.

13. Tran says:

Don’t know if Shadoe Stevens is going to stick around as Late Late Show announcer.

14. I Love Craig! Never heard of his replacement,

15. Jane says:

Is this Stormageddon’s dad (also known as Alfie and Not Mom) from Dr. Who?

16. Esti says:

I LOVE James Corden! he is HILARIOUS!!! and he also hosts a sports panel show in the UK called a League of their Own, which he is great at.

17. Brendan says:

Won’t be watching… I’ll be watching Craig’s new talk show when that airs instead.

18. Nessie says:

But what’s going to happen now to A League of Their Own? They have a contract through 2017 but I can’t see Cordon having time to host/tape a panel show with a steady gig like this. It just wouldn’t be the same without him.

That said, I’m super excited for him on here, I imagine he’ll be like he is on the British panel show and he’s hilarious.

19. Joe says:

Oh great another white dude… zzzzzz.

20. HAP says:

Can’t comment on Corden, as I’m not familiar with his work. All I can say is that Craig was an enormously intelligent talent who will be difficult to replace.

21. Linda says:

????? Never heard of him.

22. wgsecretary says:

Loved him as Craig on Doctor Who! He is awesome!

23. Meg says:

It’s Craig!!!! :-D

24. Interesting choice. I suppose to counter the more relaxed Meyers they wanted someone with a surprising amount of energy, which is of course what Ferguson already had. No idea if it’ll work but definitely an interesting move and I doubt someone people were really considering until his name first came up.

25. You need to give Craig alot of money. Late night will suck! We need him

26. Len Vine says:

The article states ‘The Late Late Show’s great Scot is being replaced by a Brit.”
    The writer of the article is obviously unaware that Scotland is part of Britain.
    He should have said:….”Scot is being replaced by an Englishman,”

27. Len Vine says:

The article states “The Late Late Show’s great Scot is being replaced by a Brit.”
    The writer is obviously unaware that a Scot is also a Brit.
    He should have said “….Scot is being replaced by an Englishman”.

28. kelly says: