NBC's Bad Judge Loses Showrunner

New TV Shows 2014

Four episodes into filming its freshman run, NBC’s Bad Judge has been met with some bad news.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites

Nurse Jackie cocreator Liz Brixius, who was named the new comedy’s showrunner in May, has vacated that post due to “creative differences,” our sister site Deadline reports.

Brixius’ successor as showrunner was not immediately named, but there is expected to be no delay in the comedy’s Thursday, Oct. 2 premiere.

RELATED Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All That’s New!

Created by Chad Kultgen (The Incredible Burt Wonderstone) and counting Will Ferrell and Adam McKay among its exec producers, Bad Judge stars Private Practice doc Kate Walsh as a criminal court justice who parties just as hard as she pounds her gavel.

1. Christian White says:

It looks crap, what’s the point anyway?

• M3rc Nate says:

Lol amen…cancelled before it ends its first season is my bet. Probably cancelled within the first six episodes. I mean really? Who watches those trailers and thinks “Thats hilarious! Its a hit!”?

2. Tran says:

Looks like I’m not going to watch Bad Judge after all. Don’t know if Kate Walsh is planning a return to Grey’s Anatomy even though Private Practice already ended like a couple years ago.

3. Ray says:

Ruh roh! NBC’s lineup looks really troublesome this fall. All the new shows have either lost show runners (ie. State of Affairs, Bad Judge), principal cast members (ie. Constantine) or just look plain awful (ie. Mysteries of Laura, A to Z).

4. Zach says:

Betsy Thomas (creator/showrunner of My Boys) is in negotiations to replace Brixius. Complete upgrade as far as I’m concerned.

• Christian says:

Nurse Jackie is a way better show than My Boys (though I did enjoy the latter) and the tone of Bad Judge seem to lean closer towards that of Nurse Jackie’s than My Boys’. This is a disaster in the making and probably won’t even make it to November sweeps!

5. Brooke says:

Wait, isn’t anyone going to blame the star for the showrunner leaving? Or does that only happen when the star is Katherine Heigl?

• Drew says:

I was going to say that this is obviously Heigl’s fault. It has to be!

• Penny says:

… This has zero to do with Heigl and you manage to make it about her? Well done.

• Brooke says:

It was just a joke at the expense of people who blamed her for the conflict between the two showrunners on her show, that’s all.

• Dmac says:

I think the biggest problem with NBC is they rely on the stars of previous shows and assume that they were the reason we watched the shows. Problem is these stars were part of an ensemble and nothing about them makes me want to watch them with their own shows: Kate Walsh, Debra Messing, Kathryn Heigel to name a few.

• Lizo says:

I really like Kate Walsh though….and the involvement of a certain actor in a show is often enough to at least get me to check a show out.

• Ash says:

You may wish to speak for yourself in the future instead of using “we” in general.

Private Practice was unbearable to me and I would have stopped watching very early on had it not been (supposedly, that’s rant for another day) Kate Walsh’s show.

• Kate Walsh was extremely popular with the Grey’s fan base. I thought that Private Practice was awful but it lasted a good bit of time….I’d say that had a little something to do with her and the built in Grey’s fan base that moved over to the show with her. Katherine was also quite popular when she left Grey’s. She made some very bad movie choices and gained the reputation as being a capital B. Otherwise, she’s probably be flying high still.

I’ll give you the Debra Messing exasperation. I thought that she did a fine job on W and G, but she was not the reason I watched the show. In fact, I always wished that they’d kill of Will and Grace and create a Jack and Karen spinoff.

6. J.B. says:

“a criminal court justice who parties just as hard as she pounds her gavel.”

I’d watch that. (/^▽^)/

7. Laura says:

They just need to cancel NBC.

8. GuessWhat says:

The previews are AWFUL.
    Probably one of the first canceled shows.
    Shame — cause I like her enough.

9. Babybop says:

I feel like I keep seeing this kind of news for a lot of new shows lately. Makes me wonder what’s really happening behind the scenes.

10. Diz says:

It’s DOA from the trailer anyways.

11. Lenny says:

Looks like the worst show ever made.

12. webly3 says:

… looks like another horrible year of new programming for NBC

13. David4 says:

Should have kept Community.

14. Alienate says:

I’m not gunna watch this show twice as much now. :)

15. Moment says:

So Emerald City bites the dust yet this is still around. Says it all. NBC, hang your head in shame.

16. Dmac says:

I know you shouldn’t judge a show completely by the previews; but it was just plain awful. They should at least draw you in, but this one not so much. Same goes for The Mystery of Laura; the only mystery I can see is why this show was picked up

17. Kate says:

The show looks terrible and Walsh is just a mediocre actress. After losing its showrunner i don´t see it making it to november sweeps.