Fall TV Preview

Scandal Recast Alert: Meet the New First Daughter

unnamed-2

Scandal is giving Fitz and Mellie’s eldest child a really extreme makeover ahead of Season 4.

Body of Proof alum Mary Mouser has replaced Madeline Carroll in the role of First Daughter Karen Grant, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites, Including Scandal

Karen, as played by Carroll, made her debut in Season 3 when she visited her parents from boarding school.

The role is expected to be beefed up under Mouser, particularly in the wake of the death of Karen’s older bro, Jerry Jr. Might the First Daughter act out a bit as a result of the tragedy?

Mouser will first appear in an October episode, per EW.com, which first broke the news.

Scandal returns Sept. 25 at 9/8c on ABC.

1. Thats great loved her on BOP… oh how I miss that show!

2. Shondaland says:

Hey Michael- big fan-
    Didn’t Mellie have another baby in s02? They do have another child- jerry jr’s death took them from 3 kids to 2 kids, not from 2 to 1…

3. cyrax86 says:

She will always be Dr. Megan Hunt’s daughter to me!

4. Ray says:

Ugh. I hate recasts

5. MattArmando says:

Mouser was pretty good on BOP… Great actor for her age.

6. Diz says:

Recasts are dumb just kill them off or make the character go away never to be seen again.

• Ray says:

And fire/flog the casting director for not properly doing their job in the first place. Don’t cast actors who aren’t up to snuff

• Grey says:

I always felt the kids were an afterthought on this show from the get go. I’m not even sure why Shandra even bothered to create them. Clearly they weren’t a top priority or necessity for the story telling. They were so underdeveloped I remember at one point people/fans debating whether or not they actually existed. People had to go back and re-watch certain episodes to find a certain scene in which they are vaguely mentioned as proof! What the Friday? She could have just as easily had Mellie and Fitz be the first, First Family without kids and the show would have been just as good.

• David4 says:

I agree. The kids show up out of no where, and a one dies a few episodes later. Then the other is recasted. Seems silly.

But this is Scandal, they had a president win reelection when never leaving the White House.

7. Grey says:

Just like a regular day time soap, replacing actors. They should do an old school voice over and say, “Thre role of Karen Grant is now being playec by Mary Mouser.”

8. Nicole says:

I wonder if she will be able to have any interaction with Abby. Darby Stanchfield played shannon on NCIS and Marylin mouser played Kelly, Shannon and Gibbs daughter who died along with Shannon in a drug cartel crossfire. They were only in flashbacks as their deaths were one of the reason’s Mark Harmon’s Gibbs joined NCIS

9. Ummmm says:

Ms Carroll is a great child actress… And she tweets a lot about her faith. I wonder if that was the issue for this twitter famous show :/

• Kevin H. says:

I sincerely doubt it. Shonda Rhimes is super inclusive as a showrunner. The only way I can see that scenario being possible is if the actress brought up how she might not be willing to do scenes involving certain things like drinking, swearing, smoking, etc. or if Shonda wasn’t comfortable asking an actress who is very young and religious to do these meaty storylines.

Who knows why it happened. I’m just brainstorming.

10. MandaJ says:

I totally approve of this re-cast. The original Karen just felt flat to me. I don’t want to be mean to a young actress still finding her way but she didn’t really have the chops for Scandal. Perhaps Miss Mouser will be more up for the roll. Looking forward to finding out.

11. Cheyenne says:

Sounds like an improvement. I couldn’t stand that bratty other one.

12. cdhaskell says:

I hope that she don’t get killed off like her brother was.

13. lolita says:

I hope that Fitz finds out it was Eli who had Tom kill his son, not Olivia’s mother. I also hope that Eli will soon be gone,I was tired of his rants last season. His time should be running out.