Fall TV Preview

Arrow Scoop: Carrie Diaries Star Cast as Love Interest for [Spoiler]

Arrow Season 3

With Thea’s “new life,” will she gets a new love?

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites

The CW’s Arrow has cast Carrie Diaries alum Austin Butler in the recurring role of Chase, a charismatic DJ whose talent and wiles will catch the attention of Oliver’s kid sister (who last was seen being whisked away by her big, bad daddy, Malcolm Merlyn).

Chase and Thea’s professional relationship will, of course, quickly blossom into a romance. Ruh-roh, don’t rage out on us, Roy!

RELATED Arrow Casts Aussie Actor as the Ruthless Ra’s al Ghul

Butler’s previous TV credits also include Switched at Birth and Life Unexpected.

Arrow lets fly with its third season on Oct. 8; Butler first appears in Episode 7.

1. Christy says:

Yaaaaay!

2. L says:

Getting to be a pretty large cast this season.. do they have enough room at the craft service table for all these actors?

3. Jace says:

ya more boring white dudes. zzzzzz.

4. Kim says:

Does Austin Butler have a contract with the CW. I’ve watched 3 CW shows with him already. I love him but man he gets around lol

5. anna says:

Wow is his face punchable. Hopefully he gets arrow’d to death.

6. wrstlgirl says:

He was the main reason why I enjoyed TCD. What a cutie!

7. Jon says:

Hmm, orginal character or some kind of version of Adrian or Dorian Chase. Two peole who both used the identity of “Vigilante”. I’d figure since Oliver was already known as “The Vigilante” in season 1 an orginal character is more likely.

8. JC1 says:

I’m surprised by this – I figured Thea would be too busy training with Malcolm for a new love interest. Does this mean she moves back to Starling City by episode 7, because I definitely didn’t expect that.

9. Pretty boy says:

This show is getting prettier and prettier.

10. ... says:

I don’t have anything to add except that The Carrie Diaries should have been renewed. Its cancellation was far and away the worst decision made at upfronts this year.

11. Ashbash says:

I was hoping he would pop back over to switched at birth now that the Carrie diaries is over but I’m not complaining I love Austin Butler so anyway I can keep him on my TV screen I’m fine with.

12. Claire says:

Excited for Thea getting a story at long last! Love her relationship with Oliver and hope it heals soon. I also hope we get more Felicity/Thea scenes as well—need to see some development there in the area of friendship.
    Many characters are being added, I am hoping it doesn’t take away from main development of the core characters — Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, and while I am glad we will be seeing more of Roy, a lot of his team development was lost, so it’s hard to to him being on the same level as the others and I hope they don’t push him there. His snark will be an added bonus to the lair though.

• liz says:

+1 this whole comment. I love Thea, period. But I want to see her interact with Felicity more (the two should be BFFs).

• Mary says:

I don’t believe that the writers view only Felicity, Diggle and Oliver as the show’s only “core characters”, nor is there anything “original” about this constellation, as the favourite oliciter catch phrase “The original Team Arrow” implies. Laurel helped Ollie/the Hood solve his cases long before Felicity officially joined the team in 1X15, and Roy was introduced already in S2. Also, if you want to talk about REAL origins, the core team was Oliver and Diggle, and then Felicity joined more than ten episodes later. Oliver will undoubtedly add other members to his team, because the Team is not some exclusive club reserved only for O/F/D, even if some oliciters like to believe that it is.

Furthermore, Thea, and Quentin are just as much “core characters” as Diggle and Felicity, and deserve good storylines as well.

• Briggs says:

I don’t think the writers view them that way, either. And as her first sentence was about how excited she was that Thea was *getting* a storyline, she didn’t seem like she thought she *shouldn’t* have it.
        What she *was* saying was that, seeing as the show is called *Arrow*, that the plots from other chars shouldn’t take away from the story following Oliver. Because Felicity and Diggle hang out with him the most, that means they get more screen time, too.
        But, to get to your point, being that they aren’t the ‘original’ three, it didn’t seem that the show hit it’s stride until they gelled as a team. Laurel and Quentin were informants, not team members. Oliver was still doing most of the work *on his own*. It wasn’t until he was forced to bring Diggle and Felicity into his confidence that he really had a team going. In the lair, with him, plotting things out together.
        I’m not even saying that there isn’t room for people to join them. But them being the start of the whole thing, as the ‘original’ threesome? Yeah, that’s essentially what they are. But by no means does it mean the team can’t grow. They just also need to maintain the focus on Oliver as the main character, and how he’s changing in the present as opposed to what caused him to become so hardened in the past. That’s the important thing.

13. Diz says:

He always brings great fun!

14. Steven says:

Who isn’t guest starring in the new season of Arrow should be the question.

15. wonderwall says:

I was hoping for Thea NOT to get a love interest this season. Drats :/ I kind of wanted her to focus more on being badass than being with a guy. I feel like this character will only be used to get a rise out of Roy which sort of disappoints me.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Arrow is doing way too much for season 3? they’re casting so many new characters that I’m worried about the original characters not getting enough screen-time/development.

• Sarah T. says:

@wonderwall I was sort of thinking the same thing BUT I really don’t think this is any more guest stars than normal. I think the CW is just releasing more of the names now b/c A) it builds momentum for the new season and B) some of the characters have more notable actors playing them. A lot of the “bad guys” will only be used for one or two episodes and I’m sure that some of these recurring roles will be recurring minor characters.

16. liz says:

Nooooo, I really like Thea/Roy. But I like Butler as an actor so I’m conflicted.

• Moment says:

Thea won’t work until she accepts Roy for who he is and what he’s doing with Oliver. It’s clear that a lot of stuff is hard for Roy to deal with, and he hasn’t had that rock to lean on at times.

17. JG says:

I’m really loving the guest stars Arrow has this season. Austin Butler is a great addition to the cast! Looking forward to seeing him back on The CW!

18. Josh says:

Ergh, don’t give Thea a love triangle. Focus on her and her relationship with Malcom and Oliver.

How many good looking bad actors can one show have?

19. S says:

Another love interest? This season is becoming way too crowded. I thought it was supposed to be more ‘intimate’?

20. Hot Dumb Italian Mike! says:

Sooooooo glad to see Austin Butlerwith the CW family. If given right part he could be a major star. His storyline back on “The Carrie Diaries” was the only ininteresting part!

21. lorna says:

He can do better. I wish it was a show that I watched

22. A says:

Thank you so much for continuing to spoil us Arrow fans! I am getting to the point where I have withdrawal symptoms if I don’t get a new Arrow spoiler every 6 hours or so. It is so good to be an Arrow fan right now

23. Lake B says:

This kid belongs on the CW it always looks like he’s posing. yuck

24. Briggs says:

I love the news of more and more day players being added to the show. They might not get that many episodes each (excluding the Hong Kong people, of course), but they each add something to the overall story, or they wouldn’t be put in. I’m reserving judgement on their talent until I see them in action.

25. Romi says:

Love this guy

26. Keith says:

Thought this guy was going to be Pied Piper. I’m a little disappointed.