Report: Supergirl TV Series In the Works from Arrow's Greg Berlanti

Supergirl TV Series

Tired of playing second fiddle to the man in blue — and why should she? — Supergirl might finally be getting her day in the sun.

RELATED Arrow Casts Aussie Riddick Actor as the Ruthless Ra’s al Ghul

A new series based on the iconic DC heroine is currently in the works at Warner Bros. TV, according to our sister site Deadline. Greg Berlanti — who, among many other things, currently oversees production on The CW’s Arrow and The Flash — has reportedly been tapped to executive-produce, along with Ali Adler. The duo previously worked together on ABC’s short-lived superhero drama No Ordinary Family.

Prolific writer Geoff Johns is also reportedly going to be involved in the project in some way, though no further details are available.

This potential Supergirl series is being described as a fresh take on the heroine’s origin story. Supergirl (aka Kara) was most recently portrayed by Laura Vandervoort on The WB/CW’s Smallville.

Your thoughts on a potential Supergirl series? Any dream casting suggestions? Drop all your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Jett says:

Ugh can someone NOT from Arrow make the show. How about we get some ladies (or people not from arrow) to make the show instead of the dudes from Arrow.

• Moment says:

Arrow has quite a few female writers in its team. And I’m sure more could be recruited if this comes to something.

• Cassie says:

Seriously. Enough with that. They need to stop acting as if Arrow is the best show on TV.

• Drew says:

It is the best superhero series on the air, and very successful. Furthermore, if they decide to tie this story into the world of Arrow and The Flash to create a Justice League of sorts that runs alongside the movie franchise, these people would have to be involved.

• Moment says:

Very well said there Drew. WB clearly recognizes the success of Arrow and wants this show in capable hands. It’s not like new writers/producers won’t be recruited. I don’t see what the problem is.

• starship says:

It won’t be in the same world as the show isn’t being shopped to the CW. They won’t have a shared universe on different networks.

• Lizzie says:

What is the hate! Can’t we talk about the fact that this a potential show with a leading superhero NOT being male. This is awesome making a women that is not Wonder Women the lead is so huge. Plus Arrow has some pretty kick ass women on their shows. Besides two who might I add are currently going through a transformation every women character kick ass. So please look at the potential here and stop complaining over the little things.

• Temperance says:

Considering Berlanti is probably the best show creator on TV at the moment, why wouldn’t they? He’s hitting home run after home run.

• Dr. M says:

…because it definitely isn’t. Forced myself to catch up with last few eps. this summer on the chance that there is cross-over with the Flash.
        I would not have seen them otherwise.

• Vlada Gelman says:

As stated in the article, Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family, Chuck, The New Normal) will be an executive-producer on the Supergirl project.

• Jett says:

Yeah and she worked with the dude from Arrow… zzzzzzz. Lets get some new people in here. Why does WB/DC always go to the same old garbage… this is like Chris Nolan all over again. Lets get a fresh perspective in here guys.. instead they go back to Arrow. LOL.

• JohnD says:

You mean like Ali Adler, listed as the co-exec, and likely the day-to-day showrunner?

• Angus says:

Because the dudes from Arrow work for the CW. Who better than Geoff Johns to pen scripts.

2. Moment says:

I’m for this, I think it would do well if done right. There’s always room for another strong heroine on TV :)

3. s says:

Don’t care unless they’re getting Laura to play her. And that’s not happening while she’s on Bitten in Canada. (Which is a great show, btw.)

• Wheel says:

They won’t. That would confuse people and make them think it’s the same Supergirl from the Smallville continuity. It’s a stupid move.

4. Dean says:

If this goes to series, I hope Berlanti isn’t spreading himself too thin. I’d rather have Arrow and the Flash be consistent and high quality than another series on the air.

5. L says:

I’m a bit worried about over saturation of DC material on TV… and Laura Vandervoot was so perfect as this character it will be tough to top it…. Supergirl is so dependent on the Superman storyline though that I fear too many radical changes to bring it to TV and not have Kal-El show up or at least be mentioned. Really, if they positioned it as a Smallville spin-off maybe… but if they are saying Kara comes to Earth on her own without her cousin.. might be a bit much… I like that they are trying to build up the DC Television world though… certainly much better than the movie-verse is lookin these days.

• Fido says:

^Much as I’d love a Supergirl show I don’t see how they could do one without Superman playing a part of it, even if this part is very small. And a non Tom-Welling(?) Superman would feel kinda weird, as I guess would a non-Vandervort Supergirl. Unless they go the animated route, that could work :)

6. DavidJ says:

Really like the idea, as long as we actually get to see her in the costume, and they don’t drag out the origin forever like they did with Smallville.

7. Mary says:

If she wasn’t busy with iZombie, I’d say Rose McIver.

8. Rod says:

I can see AnnaSophia Robb playing Kara. Berlanti was behind a couple of my all time favorites (Everwood, Brothers & Sisters) including Arrow which is really good so i dont have any problem with this.

9. khouston86 says:

Alona Tal is my choice for Kara. :)

10. They should wait and make it a spin off of the Man of Steel movies.

11. Chelsea says:

Great, I love the Helen Slater movie of Super Girl her own getting TV series would be awesome.

12. Lizo says:

Awesome!! Greg has done a fantastic job with the female characters on Arrow so I’m optimistic he’ll be able to create a female-led show. Badassness.

• Dude says:

No they haven’t. They really haven’t. They have good actors, that’s it.

• Lizo says:

Can they be better? Yes. But the women on the show are as complex and interesting (if not more so) than the men. They get the same amount of screen time (close enough) and are overall presented as integral to the narrative. I’m highly critical of the representations of women in the media (nothing makes me more irate than female characters treated like flat tropes) and I think that Arrow does a pretty bang up job. There’s issues of course, but overall I’m satisfied.

13. Drew says:

I hope they tie this to Arrow and The Flash, so they can have one cohesive universe on TV while they have another in the movie franchise. Even if the films and the shows aren’t officially connected, it would be nice to at least see TV all tied in together.

I do hope that the style for this is more Man of Steel and less like Agents of SHIELD or the cartoony Marvel movies.

14. chris boyer says:

Laura Vandervoot

15. Fernanda says:

Maybe Supergirl could be not in the same universe as Flash and Green Arrow. Gotham is a prequel series from Batman anthology, but this Supergirl may be become a Smallville reboot but for girls

16. JG says:

A Supergirl series in general doesn’t interest me but Greg Berlanti’s involvement and track record does. Is this being developed for the CW?

17. Gail says:

There are so many versions of Supergirl, who knows which version they will bring to TV. It could be Linda Danvers, Matrix, the current Kara Zor-el, a version close to the pre crisis Supergirl or their own version. As Superman most likely will not be a character, a non Kara Zor-el version may be more likely. As for her being played only by Laura Vandervoot, people on these boards said the same thing about Justin Hartley and Green Arrow before Arrow premiered. I am sure it won’t be Laura and I hope they find someone as good as Stephen Amell.

• alistaircrane says:

I wish it were Linda Danvers! She’s the best Supergirl. Peter David’s Supergirl series was superb. I’ve never had much interest in Kara. As his cousin, she is very much just a derivative of Superman, plus Superman is cooler when he’s the only survivor from Krypton. Unfortunately, WB is obsessed with the “originals”, which is why we are getting a Barry Allen Flash series when Wally West’s Flash was far more popular and successful. And Connor Hawke was a much more interesting Green Arrow than Oliver Queen.

• Gail says:

I think you are correct as far as the name of the character is concerned but I don’t think Arrow TV show’s Oliver Queen had much to do with the comic book character at least prior to the new 52. I don’t follow it closely but I think they made the comic closer to the TV show after the TV show became popular. So you may have a TV Kara Zor-el, who has nothing in common with the current comic book.

• Gail says:

Per Deadline article
      “I hear the project, which is still in development, will be a new interpretation of the Supergirl character and her story.”

It sounds like the character will be exclusive to TV and not like any of the previous version comic book versions.

18. Blah says:

So supergirl as written by the person who bought us Sarah Walker and all the best episodes of glee. Count me in.

Ali Adler is deserving of a Jason katims level breakout given the great work she’s been doing.

19. Joey Padron says:

Supergirl could be good. It would be cool if the show to do crossovers with Arrow and The Flash.

20. James says:

Molly McCook possibly?

21. hemojr says:

I’d go with Chloe Moretz, if they can get her. Nathalia Ramos if not.

22. I’ve been waiting my whole life for this news lol. I’ve always wanted Dianna Agron to play her.

23. Janice says:

Aimee Teegarden

24. speechless says:

Frankie Grande.

• Bcfanboy says:

LOL o my goodness. Yea that would not go well. I’m curious what network may pick it up. Hope this happens, but if it doesn’t, I wont be too bummed out.

25. Meg says:

How can you have Supergirl without Superman….I don’t know guys, I am not convinced. I doubt DC Comics will allow Superman to be on said show, as they won’t even let Blue Beetle appear on Arrow. Will I like the new re-write of Kara/Supergirl? I am doubtful.

26. Erin says:

How about Julie Marie Berman( ex-lulu GH)

27. Briggs says:

I’m reserving judgement until I see it. I dropped out of Smallville after the pilot and that went 10 seasons. While I’m aware it had problems, I’m merely illustrating why I choose to reserve judgement rather than let myself miss out something that’s actually pretty good. If they do this right, it could be exciting.
    Now, how they do it without Superman should be interesting to watch. It’s in good hands, anyway. (BTW, I don’t watch AoS anymore, so I don’t comment on their articles! Amazingly, I have more time on my hands! Something for some of you to think about…)

28. JSintheStates says:

Never gonna fly!

29. Matt Furry says:

I could see Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting as the girl of steel. I doubt she’d leave TBBT

30. Did You Know – Due to rough conditions and poor satellite signal reception, most hiking GPS devices aren’t effective indoors or even in thick forests.
    There are only a few reasons that produce something much like the Garmin Nuvi more attractive
    than a smartphone, however, these are compelling reasons.

By doing the things the following you will probably be able to find the correct GPS
    from Garmin in your case without to much trouble; here include the important things to do.
    Make sure you have each of the maps you will need for your trip which has a good
    way before you get your GPS unit. Garmin motorcycle gps
    If you decide to acquire a small plugin, which you can get from your garmin website, it is possible to transfer addresses from google maps or mapquest from the computer for a garmin gps unit.

31. Crest says:

As much as I want a female led superhero show so bad, I would have preferred a Superboy series with Connor Kent. A clone story would be interesting. Kara & Clark have to much of the same origins and the rest of the story.

Anyway we will see, lets hope it wont go to the CW (yuck).

32. Last Kryptonian says:

I know people might be sick of seeing this girl but I’ve been screaming Aimee Teegarden for Supergirl since Friday Night Lights season 1.

33. Anthony says:

They better not go for the the dark, gritty, man of steel or even so much as that god aweful new 52 crap. if they do, I gonna be pissed. Because the way i see it, it’s true a lady hero is defined on the things she says, how she portays her persona and how she performs her heroic deeds. HOWEVER, it is also the outfit that helps give the hero the ability to stand out. Thats why i find that traditional outfit let alone persona so important. because we need a female superhero to look up to and is filled with optimism. To me, thats supergirl!

34. Anthony says:

I hope to see her outfit being earth made and paying tribute to the traditional outfit. I know the hero is about the outfit but it helps give the hero the ability to stand out