Wil Wheaton Project Cancelled by Syfy

Wil Wheaton Project Cancelled

The Wil Wheaton Project won’t be back for a second season, TVLine has confirmed.

The Syfy series Wheaton described as “Talk Soup for geeks” premiered May 27 and finished its 12-episode first season in mid-August.

Wheaton broke news of the cancellation via a post on WilWheaton.net, in which the Star Trek: The Next Generation alum/Big Bang Theory guest star writes that the network’s executives “just didn’t think we had enough viewers to justify more episodes.”

A Syfy rep confirms to TVLine that the series is cancelled.

RELATED Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Wheaton goes on to state that the series garnered ratings “on par with The Soup” but a lack of promotion and the show’s summer debut — when TV viewership is down overall — likely were among the factors in Syfy’s decision.

VIDEO Syfy’s Lost Girl Ending After Season 5, Star Anna Silk Announces

Still, the actor maintains that he is “okay” with the state of affairs and thanks everyone who watched the show. He also made a final plea to fans:

“Oh, and let me just stop this before it starts: We nerds have a penchant for letter-writing campaigns and stuff to try and save shows we like. Please don’t do that here. It’s not going to happen, and we should instead put that energy into something else, like getting #butts to trend.”

1. This makes me really sad. I thoroughly enjoyed his show. He should turn it into a youtube show. I would totally watch that.

• ncmacasl says:

It was well-made and hilarious. Perhaps a streamer could pick it up (or something similar).

• Cory Needer says:

I agree. They didn’t give the show enough of a chance. Wil has his own brand of witty humour that I enjoy. Also… that “Game of Thrones opening you’ve always wanted to see.” was freakin’ hillarious!

2. DavidJ says:

Not surprising. I like Wil, but had to give up on his show early on. Instead of discussing all the cool scifi news out there, the show was way too focused on just doing bad comedy skits about Sharnado. And The Soup already does that kind of thing much better.

3. Christy says:

I liked the show the best when Chris Hardwick was on. It’s not that I didn’t like him by himself, it’s just way more fun watching them vibe off of each other. I wish they would do a show together.

• JohnHasADHD says:

Chris Hardwick is awful, and his being representative of ‘nerd’ culture is an insult to all true nerds out there. Just an awful insult to everything, Wheaton at least has true credibility and is an actual nerd, which is why he came off so badly hosting the show, which i liked

• Simon says:

Why would you say that? b/c Chris Hardwick is cute and likable and Nerds can’t be those things. Also hes not a jerk like most nerds seems to be i.e. Liz Lemon in high school (that 30 Rock ep where she thought she was bullied in high school when really she was a bully to all the popular kids who were just trying to be nice to her) I love Chris Hardwick, and adult Liz Lemon.

• Winter says:

I love Chris Hardwick too. To say he is not credible as a nerd is just willfully ignorant. Some people just love to hate people.

4. JR says:

Have Will do a SyFy series based on Wesley Crusher grown up in a Star Trek themed show.

5. Tran says:

He’ll always be Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG but I hope Wil Wheaton may come back to TBBT anytime soon.

6. TV Gord says:

It’s too bad they never exported this to Canada. We have–per capita–a much bigger nerd-base (and since a huge number of American actors are shooting up here, it probably would have gotten better buzz).

7. Ronnie says:

Awww I actually looked forward to this coming back!

8. steven says:

Now maybe Wil can become a series regular on TBBT.

9. maggie says:

Too bad, as I like Wil. Hopefully he’ll get the right project soon.

10. Et al says:

He should do a web version. Maybe on the Geek and Sundry channel.

11. makparis says:

WHHHHYYYYY!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? I loved this show.

12. Tom Dodson says:

Sadly, I guess Skelator was right!

13. DJ Doena says:

Too be fair, it wasn’t that good of a show. Wil has to work on his comic timing to be hosting such a thing.

14. jj says:

He should be canceled from Hollywood.

15. That’s too bad, it was a fun show. It could be a web series, if Wil Wheaton’s up for it.

16. John Moshier says:

I liked the show liked the song paridies naybe he should of done make up I think that sucks