Exclusive

Mindy Project Casts Shonda Rhimes (Yes, Shonda Rhimes) to Play [Spoiler]

Shonda Rhimes The Mindy Project

The Mindy Project is taking a trip to Shondaland.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the A-list creator of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal is set to make her acting debut in a fall episode of the Fox comedy.

RELATED Mindy Project Exclusive: Look Who’s Playing Danny’s Mom

I’m told Rhimes, a self-proclaimed super-fan of both The Mindy Project and its star Mindy Kaling, will play herself on the show. Specifics about her storyline are being kept under wraps.

Rhimes’ episode is slated to shoot in early September and air later this fall.

The Mindy Project kicks off its third season on Sept. 16.

1. David4 says:

ABC let’s her leave the writing room? lol

2. Tracey says:

WTF. This is hilarious.
    (And the world just can’t be left alone by Shonda Rhimes now can it?)

3. radmcawesome says:

This is awesome! Plus, it’s a shrewd move on The Mindy Projects’ part. Just imagine if even half of Shonda’s viewers watch the episode out of curiosity and half of them continue to watch? That’ll easily double or triple TMP’s ratings and that makes me happy. TMP is on of the best, yet underrated comedies on television.

4. Jamie says:

Oh my goodness! I have got to see this! I would love to see Shonda in a role other than writer, producer, etc. I cannot wait to see her acting debut!

5. Ray says:

The Mindy Project is brilliant!! I hope more viewers tune in this season to see what they’ve been missing

6. chaouad says:

waw im excited !!! if they want to attract rating they should try britney, she brings the ratings like no one else.

7. DarkDefender says:

That’s kinda awesome.

8. zac says:

Awesome! Always found her interesting. I wish TMP would have better ratings after this

• Marcie says:

And increase their episode order from a mere 15.

• S. says:

How’s the trolling coming today, KC? You can’t ever seem to avoid it. It’s like you’re Miss Hannigan from Annie. You come onto a thread for any show and go “Do I hear…happiness…in here?”

• S. says:

Amen. It deserves it. One of my favorite shows and many of my friends are fans. Kinda hoping it can pull a Golden Globe nom this year. If it does, that might help. Not definitely, but it’d be harder to not at least give it a full season. If Glee can get to a 6th season on fumes, TMP should be able to get there on merit.

9. I.R.E. says:

Rhea will help accompany Beth in this show.

Niecy or Shonda will get along with Xosha.

They still need to hang onto Zoe as reduced guest, because they additional current women will help bring Zoe back as the permanent member of the main cast.

10. murley says:

I don’t watch any shonda shows so I don’t really care in terms of that BUT if this brings more viewers to this great, underrated show then that would be awesome.