Has Once Upon a Time's Season 4B Villain Been Revealed...?

Once Upon a Time Season 4 Maleficent

A month before Once Upon a Time Season 4 even begins, we may have an idea of who the Big Bad for Season 4B, which starts after the winter hiatus, will be.

RELATED Fall Preview 2014: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Premieres

As reported by Entertainment Weekly, True Blood alum Kristin Bauer van Straten is set to reprise her role as evil Maleficent and recur during the back half of Season 4.

During the Once creators’ Fall Preview Q&A with TVLine, Eddy Kitsis said of the Season 4B storyline, which will follow this fall’s 11-episode riff on Frozen, “The seeds are planted in the first 10 [episodes of 4A], so that when you see [the reveal] in 11, you go, ‘Ah, OK.'”

RELATED Once Upon a Time‘s Two Most Burning Frozen Qs Answered

Bauer van Straten first played Maleficent in the second episode ever of Once Upon a Time; ultimately imprisoned in dragon form by Regina and stowed in a cave beneath the Storybrooke library, she was slayed by Emma in the Season 1 finale.

1. Yeahman says:

Hopefully her role expands a bit more. I mean come on this is Maleficent we’re talking about here.

2. LE says:

Hmmm so OUAT is playing with Disney current B.O. hits…. not surprised at all was expecting her to be back, but Angelina Jolie made the role her own

3. Skittles&Bits says:

So basically now that “True Blood” has died a “true death” (thankfully) Bauer is now available for OUAT? Not that I’m complaining. I adore this woman’s acting and I can’t wait for her to give us all manner of sass and wicked plotting as Maleficient.

4. David4 says:

What the hell, they have done Peter Pan who I love, even if it went on too long, so might as well do current movies. In season 5 will we get The Jungle Book? lol

5. abz says:

If they’re revisiting Maleficent and are not going to recast the role, I hope they have a sit down with KBvS and discuss ways they can better improve her performance. I love KBvS as Pam on True Blood, but I don’t think her performance on OUAT did Maleficent justice. Maleficent is the BIGGEST AND MOST BADASS villain ever and damn it if there is any villain out there that OUAT needs to take seriously, it’s her.
    Side note: I really hope we get to Cruella this season even if it’s just a one time thing, and hopefully they revisit the real Ursula somewhere down the line.

6. James says:

Can we get a proper Ursula please? Thank you! (Also, if you don’t mind making Ariel more interesting?)

7. Amelie says:

An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do believe that you should write more on this topic, it may not be a
    taboo matter but generally people do not discuss such subjects.
    To the next! Kind regards!!

8. A says:

I thought “riff on Frozen” said rip-off of Frozen lol. They cast actors I really like so I hope it’s an interesting arc.

9. Trenton says:

Would to see that her donkey was formally a human who looked remarkably like eric northman.

10. westwingwolf says:

Will her return be in flashbacks assuming she died in dragon form? Or will she be in the present because of some form of magic? Will it be explained that she wasn’t as evil when we first saw her because she had the True Love potion inside her? Some people realized that already, but if they waited this long to bring her back, it might need to be revisited. Will this have something to do with Will Scarlet stealing from her in the Wonderland TV series?

11. Trenton says:

A show like this…which i really love, needs to be more dynamic with villains. Maybe like endgame stuff idk. It was smart to kill people off so its not a everyone is always safe proposition. I just would like to have the heroes become the villains like dark versions of themselves for a season. And the villains get to see what its like for the heroes and learn from that. Snow Black!!!

12. Matt says:

I feel like it’s too early for them announce who is going to be the Big Bad in the last half of the season. That and with Maleficent dying in dragon form how can she come back? Maybe she’s linked to the new Big Bad in some way and her scenes are in flashback or the Fairy Tale Land that was.

• Larry says:

Oh actually it’s explained a bit in the episode “the evil queen”, in s2. Regina stated that the curse’s magic allowed maleficent to live eternally in that cave. Emma only destroyed her dragon body in s1 finale, but her soul remained, and everytime her body would get destroyed, a new grotesque body would be made for her to inhabit, like her zombie form that was seen in that episode.

Theoretically thanks to an undone curse, and the new curse cast by snow, maleficent had been free from her imprisonment in that cave and possibly back into her original body, either in storybrooke or in FTl.

• Matt says:

Oh OK! That makes sense. I still don’t think she I the bog bad for 4B though.

• Delirious says:

Doesn’t it seem a bit too convoluted to justify her return? I mean, it’d be awesome, and I’m not dismissing the theory, at all… But if it’s true, it seems awfully overcomplicated for a tv show. At least, for one like OUAT.

• Larry says:

Along with guaranteeing her availability, and if they planned on matching the movie release, it’s perfect time.

Of course her return to the show was hinted and very much wanted well before even the movie. I could see the alternate timeline freed her also, but the undone curse should of been enough to set her free. Also against the other villians, she actually has a very good reason to get revenge against emma and regina.

• Ram510 says:

That’s some very good insight, thank you. You know a lot about OUAT

13. Trenton says:

Writer’s can always conjure a reason why someone lived through a presumed death. Emma’s butterfly to the future experience could have changed some small thread and it explains why Mallie is still a kickin.

14. Dave says:

So happy! I love Kristin!

15. Citizen of the Internet says:

Oh good, if this is true it means OUaT really can’t stand on it’s own anymore and requires current Disney hits to stay relevant. Hopefully the writers can find some way to go back to using the giant body of Disney works to craft an interesting and compelling story without just spinning off of whatever is popular right at that moment

• Melissa says:

1) ABC is owned by Disney so they can do pretty much whatever they want with anything Disney. 2) Frozen is a modernized take off of Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen, so it falls into fairy tale/story book realm.

16. ShaunN says:

I think you mean she was “slain”. I think that this could be good – the Maleficent character was really given short shrift when she first appeared.

17. Ana says:

It’s funny how Adam & Edward say that TPTB @ Disney do not dictate to them, and yet here is another example of how it’s likely the exact opposite of that. Unfortunately, I don’t think the writers at OUAT will do justice to either of these story lines, this will just be a way for the Disney marketing machine to keep these two very hot commodities out there in the spotlight.

• lauren says:

The new Tea Leoni show is supposed to be good, let us know how it is! FFS fans have been asking for Malificent to return since season 1 but now it’s “fishy” LOL

18. dj says:

A perfect choice!

19. Ashbash says:

I think this has to do with Emna screwing up the timeline when she went to the past and changed things. I mean the girl changed the history of how her parents met, brought Marian to the future, and managed to bring Elsa out of her bottle. Who’s to say she didn’t alter the timeline and cause that battle against Maleficient to never happen. I’m definitely looking forward to how they bring Maleficient back because if it has to do with the changing of the past then this was set up perfectly because Regina said there’s always consequences when you change the past.

20. Wtactualf says:

Yay! KBVS! I love her!

21. Ram510 says:

Is there any chance we get to see Ursula and/or Ariel at all in season 4?

22. Finally!!! Hopefully this also means we’ll revisit Aurora, Philip and Milan in a meaningful way, because their season 3 storylines were absolute garbage! I sincerely hope that Aurora isn’t going to give birth to that baby she’s been carrying forever while still a flying monkey!

23. Mikael says:

I love her! I actually wish True Blood would spinoff into an Eric & Pam show. I think Once did a terrible job with Maleficent, but I think that’s because they were pushing Regina so hard as the biggest baddest villain. Now that she’s been fleshed out as a sympathetic villain, the door is open for them to bring back Maleficent and do her justice. Granted, Angelina OWNED that role, but Kristin has serious potential. Even if she plays it as Pam without the swearing, I’d be happy! She needs better wardrobe too. I liked that Regina and Maleficent were evil buddies. It would something refreshing to expand on that, since every other villain has either been an enemy of Regina and/or a relative of hers (or Rumple as well)

24. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Thanks for the boobs!!! (It needed to be said!)

25. LegenTime says:

It could make a lot of sense. After all it will be around the time that Aurora will finally actually be having her baby after she was kind of put in a freeze state of life after she was turned into a flying monkey. I could see why Maleficient is on the loose and wanting revenge.

26. Bill says:

Hopefully they will utilize her to the fullest, she was amazing on True Blood so I’m happy she will be on!
    As far as other characters I’d like to see here’s my quick list:
    Jafar
    Aladdin
    Jasmine
    Ursula (the real one)
    King Triton
    Jack Frost ( maybe a counter to Elsa)
    Mary Poppins ( they did have Dr. Frankenstein not a fairy tale)