True Blood Finale Recap: Kill Bill?

True Blood Series Finale

“What if all I want right now is to see you live?” Sookie kicked off Sunday’s True Blood series finale by laying her demands for Bill on the line — but did she get her wish?

RELATED True Blood‘s Best Deaths | Best Villains | Best Sex Scenes

Ultimately… no, no she did not. “Show me the true death, and you’ll be setting us both free,” he begged, suggesting that she use her “True Kindness” fairy ball on him, thus relieving herself of both him and her fairy-ness in one fell swoop.

It ended up being a murder/funeral for the ages: Bill crawled into his coffin, with Sookie’s fairy ball dramatically hovering over him. And while she ultimately couldn’t kill him that way — she decided to stake him instead — she got the deed done. Regardless of your ‘ship, you can’t tell me your heart didn’t break into a million pieces watching Sookie mourn the love of her life.

True Blood Series FinaleUP IN SMOKE | In an unprecedented — but not at all unwelcome — move of trickery, Eric and Pam let Sarah Newlin escape, before sending Mr. Gus and his Yakuza cronies (literally) up in flames. (Rest in pieces, you forgettable fools.)

Another surprise was Sarah’s desperate plea for Pam to turn her into a vampire, even offering to go full-lesbian in exchange. When Sarah referred to herself as a potential Tara replacement, I honestly thought Pam was going to rip her throat out; instead, she offered up this killer line: “I wouldn’t let you go down on me for a billion dollars.” (Cue the slow clap.)

WEDDING BELL BLUES | With more than a little help from Papa Bill, Hoyt asked Jessica to marry him. And while she was disappointed by the lack of romance, she couldn’t exactly deny Bill his dying wish. That said, how awkward was watching Hoyt ask Jason to be his best man? (And how crappy has this whole vacation been for Brigett? She had one fight with Hoyt, then the next morning, he’s marrying his vampire ex-girlfriend.) I also thought Andy’s “love is love” speech during the ceremony was a nice reminder of the LGBT allegory this show once was.

HAPPILY EVER AFTERS | Viewers were treated to an epic flash-forward at the end of the hour, revealing how our favorite characters — and Sam’s baby mama — ended up. Here goes:

* Eric and Pam become billionaires off of New Blood.

* Jason and Brigett get married (I assume) and start a family of their own.

* Sam and Nicole come home for Thanksgiving, alive and well.

* Lastly, Sookie marries… someone… and gets pregnant! (Update: Despite the uncertainty of a wedding ring, I’m sticking with my Sookie-is-married statement, unless proven otherwise, because of her pregnancy. She may be a fang-banging fairy princess, but Sookie Stackhouse is still a woman of traditional values.)

So… let’s talk about those endings. Are you sad Bill died? Who do you think Sookie ended up marrying? Did the finale leave you satisfied? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. jo jo jo says:

Sookie ended up with a rando….. complete bs. Sam got 3 words in…. worst ending ever

• atlanta says:

That’s more than LaFayette got!

• Walter Freeman says:

The Leftovers is gonna seem positively uplifting tonight in comparison.

• JennieErin says:

Nope, that distinction still belongs to How I Met Your Mother. Or Seinfeld. Or Roseanne. Will still watch True Blood in the future but not with the same enthusiasm.

• robvic says:

Ha! I forgot about all those horrible endings. How about Newhart? It was all a dream -really? Good call!

• I actually liked everything about the Roseanne finale but the thing where darlene and david weren’t together. I WOULD say that the TB finale was every bit as bad as Dexter’s finale and HIMYM’s finales, though.

• Ari says:

I agree with you about Roseanne! I really liked the finale. It made sense to me. I understand why other people don’t like it though. It’s the only show I’ve ever watched that ended with rewriting it’s own history that I thought the rewrite actually worked.

True Blood, it just seemed all over the place. Parts of it seemed to wrap ok but a whole lot more of it was sort of flapping in the wind. One of the things that made TB so enjoyable was the cast of side characters and very few if any of those characters was properly honored in the finale.

• Tom says:

Seinfeld’s ending was hilarious, the last line of the show is also the first in the series

• Nick says:

No. Worst ending ever still belongs to Dexter.

• That wasn’t even the worst of it. I’m so detached to every character that what matters to me at this point is not who dies, who ends up with whom or whatever justice or end of journey catharsis is supposedly had from whatever happening. I just hoped it could be just a little bit entertaining while minimizing terrible writing to maybe melt the trainwreck into some football helmets or something. But no.
      First of all, why the hell would Bill ask Sookie to kill him? Why couldn’t he just wait for sunrise like Godrick if he wanted to die so badly? And why is staking preferable to the sunburst? What the hell? In my mind, Eric restrains Bill while Pam forcibly feeds him Sarah’s blood. Eric says, “Now work out your stupid issues or stand in the sun.” Bam, better writing. It’s not hard.
      And every C-plot disguised as a B-plot, of course, ended with a deus ex machina. The big bad Yakuza whom Eric was powerless to stop before, are suddenly and immediately defeated when Eric remembers that “humans are slow”.
      The whole “Tara needs me!” BS went nowhere and ended nowhere. We can all pretend it didn’t happen because the supposed impact of that story is that Lettie May lets Tara go, something that would have happened through the normal grieving process without people thinking she was an insane V addict. Way to not earn that death, writers.
      So, no one ever has problems ever again and even Sam moves back to Bon Temps. Because apparently, all crises get solved and the town isn’t actually cursed. Or it was actually more dangerous to live in Chicago.
      I did like the whole dark, zero redemption ending for Sarah Newlin, however. And I don’t hate Eric and Pam stealing the Yakuza’s idea. Even though, you know, the Yakuza are supposed to be more than like 8 guys.

• David Bnana says:

totally agree with everything you just said. and the yakuza-eight-guy comment made me laugh out loud!

• lisa says:

They should have hired you. Your head-finale was a billion (dollars) times better than what aired. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll try to overwrite what I saw with what you wrote in my head so I don’t have to go buy mind bleach.

• patochem says:

Doesn’t anybody found strange that Jason gets 3 full grown kids in only 4 YEARS!!!!!
        And it’s older looks like 6 o 7 ! WTF !

2. zacqua10 says:

That was… terrible. Wow. Just wow.

3. James says:

I kinda liked this ending better than the book one. Still, I didn’t love it.

4. Amanda says:

I just literally can’t with that ending. Too many feels.

• TV Gord says:

No offense to you, Amanda, because I see it everywhere, but…can we stop writing this way now, please? It’s the grammatical equivalent of wearing platform shoes.

• Tom Is Ugly says:

I’d also like of everyone stopped using “mind blown.”

• Mo says:

No offense to you, TV Gord, because I see it everywhere, but… can we stop correcting the grammar/spelling of other people’s comments? I doubt very many people have changed their writing patterns based on these corrections, and it is distracting. Not to mention it often devolves into a childish back-and-forth between the person who jumps in with: “you ideot it’s their not there.” Followed by the other person who says: “your the idiot who can’t spell idiot.” Followed by the third person who says: “i think you mean you’re (you are) the idiot.” Just a suggestion.

• Laura says:

Hahahaha, yes.

• Bridget McNamara says:

TV Gord isn’t correcting peoples’ grammar or spelling, he / she’s commenting on their communicative abilities, or rather lack thereof. I do not understand any of those ‘odd’ phrases mentioned above – because they simply make no sense in English. I cannot tell you how happy I was to see the comment about “I could care less” – I have seen/heard it (on TV etc) SO often recently and have thought to myself that I must be mad because it makes absolutely no sense to me! And thnx to Fran for clearing up what ‘this’ means! Language change is inevitable but complete and utter corruption of it makes it unusable as a communicative tool.

• Lee says:

Why don’t you keep your nose out of it? What the OP did is annoying, and you getting on your high horse about is even more irritating.

• TV Gord says:

As others have correctly pointed out, I wasn’t correcting grammar or spelling. I was pointing out an annoying misuse of the language that is like annoying “baby talk”. I don’t correct the spelling or grammar of other posters, because that would be a full-time job. I do correct the spelling and grammar of so-called “writers”, because they should know better. One of the reasons why I enjoy this site more than others is that I don’t have to do that here, but I routinely have to do it at other entertainment sites (particularly the one where Matt and Michael used to work).

I can tell you from personal experience that people DO correct themselves in the future when it is pointed out to them. I have been corrected by others, as well, and I always appreciate the help. And I have never been involved in the sort of back-and-forth that you describe.

In conclusion, I appreciate your reaction to my post, especially the clever way that you did it. Your opinion is just as valid as mine is, and that’s what makes these message boards so much fun!

• Lizo says:

It’s not about grammar. That way of speaking is a subversive and modern way of using symbolism to talk. If you understand the language, you understand what she means. One can’t use “proper” language to express themselves sometimes (usually as it relates to tv) and I know exactly what she’s trying to express without her needing to write a thesis on it. It’s an internet short form. Get over it.

• Bridget McNamara says:

If anyone thinks that “I can’t believe that ending / I can’t cope with that ending…too many emotions” is a ‘thesis’, and that Americans ‘can’t use “proper” language to express themselves’ (assuming that my examples are what may be considered ‘ “proper” language’ ) then the English language is in real trouble!! My offerings can even fit into a tweet with 92 chars to spare. The language in the OP is neither subversive, modern nor symbolic, it’s nonsense and does not serve to enhance or contribute to the discussion. Nobody’s hating on the kid who posted it, just pointing out that in the best interests of all, a more appropriate form of language would be appreciated – commenters could, for example, be guided by the tenor of the article they are commenting on.

• Ray says:

The TB finale was so boring that the main discussion here is a debate on grammar, syntax and whether or not to correct other posters. Ha!

• Lee says:

Congratulations on championing poor education and lousy communication. I guess you did your good deed for the day in promoting the dumbing down of the world.

• Lizo says:

You’re getting hate for this comment, but I’m a big fan of this type of internet speak. I know exactly what you mean and what emotions your experiencing.

5. Jimmy says:

Series finales rarely live up to our expectations but I thought this one rather lame capping off a rather lame final season. These days showrunners like to tie up finales as much as possible to keep the Twitter and Blog screeching to a minimum, but this was just too much of a nice little bow.

6. ABG. says:

I still have 3 episodes until the finale, but I don’t think I’ll catch up. Seems like it was awful.

7. Eric says:

Worst ending ever.

8. jo jo jo says:

Definitely better then the book..but….. Eric was in 2 scenes. It took like 20 minutes for Bill to die….ugh such a waste of a good show…. but the season itself was a disaster. Poor Eric back in his chair being all hot

• James says:

I know, right? I like the Sookie ending but all the other characters seem so pointless, like it was too perfect for the True Blood realm. I was expecting a darker ending, but I did like we never saw Sookie’s husband face. It was a nice nod to all the fans that complain too much about “Team Bill” or “Team Eric”. The writers were like: “fill the blanks for yourself”.

• Jimmy says:

Not too mention nearly half the show spent on that sappy wedding.

9. Doreen says:

Did that just happen? Wow- I’ve never been so disappointed from a finale before.

10. I’m pissed at the lack of screentime Lafayette got. I wanted another good Lafayette quip for the finale, and I got jack shit.

• Dannie says:

I feel the same way. And that excuse that they didn’t have enough time is boloney.
      I can’t even remember most of that 30 minute wedding because it didn’t work. Was I supposed to be happy that basically an amnesia patient got wed to the girl who broke his heart and caused him to have a memory wipe in the first place? Was that supposed to melt my heart? I think not. And for that to take half of the episode was insane.
      Most of that was people standing around, then sitting around, then standing. Bill’s never ending death took another 25 minutes! But according to Bucky, SOOO much happened. Too much to cut anything to give a seven year veteran character like Lafayette any proper send off. I’m just not buying it!

11. Laurie Emerson says:

The only other worse ending was Dexter. So disappointed at how this ended

12. Brenna says:

Fans have been shipping Eric or bill this whole time, only for her to get with some random guy…..?!?! Yet another horrible series finale!!

13. Dexter now has competition for worst series finale ever. Man was that sh*tty or what??? Boring as hell with nothing happening. If you go back and watch the first (and best) season, you wouldn’t even know this is the same show.

14. I was hoping Maab and her fairies would show up from chasing Sookie a couple of seasons ago and kill everyone, lol (given how fairy time was supposed to work, if they were right behind her and teleported a minute or so after she did, they should have cut up to her a year or something after she returned to the real world. The lack of follow-through with that is disappointing. The fairy/vampire war was very badly handled).

15. MT says:

Remarry? Sookie was never married

16. S says:

WOW, they actually killed Beel! I’m SHOCKED!

17. Delante says:

This ending confirmed that the show should have ended a few seasons ago!

18. Jackie says:

Yeah, that was pretty bad. I mean, can’t even give Lafayette a line in the finale? Honestly, this whole last season outside Eric and Pam has been awful.

• Kyckastra says:

You know, they COULD do a spin-off with Eric and Pam and call it New (Nu?) Blood! I’d watch that.

• I wouldn’t watch it if Pam and Eric are ‘involved’. That’s part of why I hated the finale. Pam is a lesbian in the books, and I always hated that they made her glom onto Eric in the show. Like a woman and man can’t be close without it being romantic. It was just kind of awful. I love Pam, and I love Eric, but I hate the idea of them being together because it is such a disservice to the essence of both characters.

• vampsexual says:

I thought they made Eric & Pam look like assholes doing an Infomercial. I liked Newlin getting what she deserves.

• Marlowe28 says:

I agree that Pam and Eric looked cheap doing an infomercial for vampire Geritol but my gut never felt right with enslaving people in the slimy basement of Fangtasia. Surely they could have thought of a better place to keep Sarah in “jail.”

• Bridget McNamara says:

Agree with you here too, Marlowe, that infomercial scene made me cringe!! Poor Alex Skarsgard having to do that awful scene! I thought ‘is this supposed to be funny?’, because it sooooo wasn’t! Then I wondered if it was maybe a comment on capitalism? They went public, opened the Stock Exchange, became gazillionaires, but Eric still sits on this throne, gloomy and morose – so money doesn’t buy happiness? Or, alternatively, having pots of money doesn’t change who you are?! Heaven knows! And agree about enslaving Sarah like that too – found it disappointing that after all that has happened, Eric still hasn’t grown, still has no compassion. Not that Sarah Newlin didn’t deserve a nasty end! ;-) But it reflected badly on Pam and Eric, which was a pity.

19. Tommy says:

So glad it’s finally over. Never fully gave up which I probably should have done years ago. Disappointing end to a lackluster last 3 seasons. Not enough Pam or Eric. No Lafayette!

20. Orlando says:

Bring on the haters. I thought it was appropriate and I enjoyed it. Good ending thanks for the good times True Blood.

Glad to see Eric/Pam become millionaires. loved that.

• Em says:

Are you serious? It was awful. It wasn’t enjoyable in the least.

• alistaircrane says:

I liked it too. Apparently Em has a hard time accepting that not everyone sees things the way she does.

• Joey says:

Keep in mind that the above comment was brought to you by a guy who wanted to purchase a little person because “she was adorable”, or at least joked about it.

• Marlowe28 says:

I with Em. It was icky. I was waiting for them to bring out music by the decades.

• Rebecca Parker says:

Agreed. I’m a diehard Eric/Sookie fan, but I’m fine with this ending. She wanted a normal life, and she got one.

• Tom Is Ugly says:

How does Bill dying mean Sookie will have a normal life? Bill’s death doesn’t mean that there aren’t vamps, werewolves, shapeshifters, etc. Do they all stop being evil now? Do they all stop going to Bon Temps now? Does Bill dying mean Sookies children won’t be fairies like her?

• Richard says:

bill had to die to set Sookie free to pursue or fiind someone who could give her what she deserved. family

• Rebecca Parker says:

It doesn’t necessarily mean she will have one, no. But I think, probably out of respect of Bill’s sacrifice, she stayed away from supes and tried to find someone she could marry and have kids with.

• Marlowe28 says:

She’s still vampire bait. Who’s going to protect her? Bill’s determination to die was very selfish.

• Bridget McNamara says:

That’s a very good point, Marlowe, I thought the same thing: since she didn’t use her magic ball to kill Bill, she was still fae and therefore still vampire bait! On top of which she has to live with the memory of killing her ‘true love’?! That made no sense! In any case, I think the real reason Bill wanted to die, as they wrote it, was that he wanted to ‘be with’ his original family – remember he said ‘that’s where I belong’? So neither of them made a truly noble sacrifice: she didn’t want to give up her powers and he didn’t have the cojones to die like Godric did – that was a noble death. And yes, I agree about Lafayette and Arlene particularly too: why was Arlene even at Jessica’s wedding tho? – she hated her in the beginning! (Tho maybe they became close at some point, I can’t remember!) And come to that why was Jason Hoyt’s best man – Hoyt grew up in Bon Temps, he didn’t have another close buddy he would’ve called on rather than the Deputy Sheriff he’s ‘just met’?! Ugh! And Jessica fitted into a dress of Sookie’s?! HA! So many holes! I mean, I really didn’t mind watching it – fast-forwarded the wedding and Bill’s death scene! – but it’s a shame it petered out the way it did after a fantastic first few seasons.

• Dion Santiago says:

Finally someone who thought is didn’t suck..I was fine with it!! It was no where as bad as Dexter..really?

• robvic says:

I am not a hater and I agree with the Eric/Pam ending. That aside, what about the ending or the last five or six episodes did you enjoy. This was a giant pretty bow that tied nothing together.

• Dannie says:

I’m not a hater either, but I also didn’t buy it. This is the worst writing I think Pam and Eric have gotten in some ways. They seemed out of character in that infomercial. Then there’s the fact that the Yakuza are backed by the Japanese government and are a large organization. That’s why Eric never tried to cross them before.
        You don’t think any 1000 or 2000+ year old Japanese vampires exist? I always figured that the humans were on the low rung and did their light lifting until the stuff hit the fan. Then the big guns come out. So, why would they let Pam and Eric off scott free? Why would they miss out on billions in profits? It doesn’t compute. But, over the years, I’ve learned to answer to anything that doesn’t make sense is “Well, it’s True Blood.” So, yeah.

• Katie says:

It was nice to see that Sookie ended up with someone that she could have a family with, she was never going to get that with Bill or Eric. I also loved the ending for Eric and Pam.

• isabella says:

Why the heck couldn’t she have had that? Even Jason considered adoption with Violet and he didn’t even love her. Also, sperm banks? And what’s with the assumption that she could even conceive in the first place? Some women for some reason can’t. Now that would have been a nice ironic end. She or the boring human she ends up with are sterile. (Wait, she needs to be the sterile one otherwise she’d have to kill off the human husband too)She could have had it all. This was just a dumb cop-out. So now she’s with someone who’s thoughts she can read which was precisely what she couldn’t stand and remained a virgin for all those years. So what, she all of a sudden just like that found the one human man who doesn’t have disgusting thoughts just because she killed Bill? Yeah, whatever, so damn stupid.

• christine says:

Totally Agree

• Long Johnson says:

An over-the-top show like TB should´ve had an over-the-top, out with a bang ending – not this DULL, tired, cheesy, uninspired, daytime tv “I love Geeesus” goody two-shoes S**T…! We didn´t even get a proper chance to say bye to favorites like Lafayette??
          Even though the last four seasons have been more or less abysmal, I kind of hoped for a finale with some of that old TB spark in it.. But, nope. Go F yourselves, writers.

Boooooooooooooooooooo

• G. says:

Agreed. I was very surprised it wasn’t the cliché ending I expected it to be, with Sookie ending up with either Eric or Bill.

21. Me says:

Here’s what I don’t get: Eric is always the one to comfort Sookie, she has cried on his shoulder numerous times this season, why wasn’t he at very least at thanksgiving? Or the one she ended up with?

While at it, wasn’t the wedding far too long in a series finally? Especially when the relationship can out of no where?

• alistaircrane says:

The Hoyt/Jessica relationship did not come out of nowhere. They got together in Season 2—-five years ago!

• Me says:

And then broke up until an episode ago. To me their reunion went a bit far, but that’s just me.

• alistaircrane says:

I’m not seeing the problem. Jessica and Hoyt were always meant to be, despite the breakup. The past few episodes proved that glamoring can’t erase feelings of love. Perfect ending, as far as I’m concerned.

• Jj says:

I agree they were meant to be. But just because the viewers know that doesn’t mean it makes sense for Hoyt to realize it in one episode, since his memory of the last 5 years is gone…..
            That said, I did really enjoy those scenes. They made the finale bearable.

• worstfinalever says:

It did come out of nowhere, because the relationship ended two seasons ago with Hoyt not even knowing who Jessica is. Then he comes back for two episodes, knows her for 2 days,and they get married, lol.What a load of crap.

• alistaircrane says:

Sookie never belonged with Eric, and the showrunners knew it. The Sookie and Bill romance has been the heart of the series since Day 1. Eric ended up with Pam, and rightfully so.

• Me says:

Even so, I would have liked some nod to Eric still being a part of her life. This ending leaves us to believe that they no longer are important parts of each other’s lives.

• Ed Zarkowski says:

And, maybe, after 4 years.. they are not.

• worstfinalever says:

Eric essentially said goodbye to Sookie the night he took her home to meet Bill because Bill had just explained his reasoning to Eric. After hearing why Bill was doing what he was doing, Eric came to the same conclusion that staying away from Sookie was the only way she could lead a normal life. You kind of have to read between the lines, but it’s pretty obvious if you pay attention.

22. Amy says:

I kept thinking Sookie would use her light on Bill and it would only kill the vampire part of him so he would be human. Guess I was way off on that thought.

23. DT says:

The only thing I liked about the episode was Eric groovin’ in the car. The camera cut away just before he was about to burst out laughing. I don’t even care enough to dissect this mess of a show and ending.

• Ray says:

Same here. I used to spend hours discussing it but it went out with a lame whimper. Brian Bucker is nothing if not consistent. Consistently disappointing, that is.

24. alistaircrane says:

Just so thankful and happy that Sookie didn’t end up with Eric! What a relief!

25. raven64 says:

HORRIBLE!!! So bored I paused it and watched vmas then just FF to the end! True Blood shoulda had a True Death yrs ago!

26. ngirl says:

They literally just shit on an entire fan base. Bill could have gone to Paris and gotten cured. Sookie could have at least been shown who she ended up with. Lafayette…nothing to really note. I’m pissed. This was a complete pile of shit.

• Ed Zarkowski says:

Bill. Did. NOT. Want. To. Be. Cured.

• Anne says:

Yeah, I kinda like that they respected his wishes (even if they didn’t respect Sookies) and had the mercy-kill. That was still a super weird and disjointed ending though… just sits wrong. I’m sure they were trying for him to die nobly, but it was more like Tennant’s Doctor with the “I don’t want to go”: took a strong character with a crazy story and crushed him into a scared feeble rabbit at the end of his life. I get his reasoning though, it just didn’t evoke much other than confusion.

But Dexter was still worse, so we have that for comfort.

27. Keshia says:

How was Jessica and the other vampires able to be out in the sun?

28. meresger says:

I hate when they do the random guy thing just to get out of ships while going with the cliche that happily-ever-after requires the female character getting hitched to some nameless dude (House did that too). Buffy did the vamp show ending better with everyone heading off into the sunset, ultimate ending unknown. The real question, I guess, is: better or worse than Dexter? TVLine poll?

29. Conniebv says:

I hoped she would end up with Eric, but I was really disappointed that they didn’t even get a scene together at the end and that the last view of that character is more morose sitting on the throne. He and Pam are the two most interesting characters in the series and the books and I just felt like neither one did them justice.

30. HM says:

I’m completely thrown. After seven seasons and FOUR relatively intense love interests, she ends up with none of them. I mean, talk about not wanting to make a choice. They took the easiest way out and totally let down the loyal fans who watched even when it wasn’t the best creatively, or, you know, plot wise. I’m completely baffled by this decision. I would have been happier with her ending up with Bill, and I hated them together! But at least then the writers/producers/whatevers wouldn’t have been complete chickens and would have made a choice.

31. Rusty says:

Of all the possible endings that could have happened, this was the worst. For awhile I thought maybe Bill would pull through, when Sookie could read his thoughts, maybe he was in fact turning human because of the past thing with the god like blood thing and his rapid onset of the HepV, maybe he could have turned absolutely human, that would have been a better ending. I di like the whole thing with Eric and Pam.

32. alistaircrane says:

I love happy endings, so I am glad mostly everyone got one. I thought this was a good, respectful ending to a great final season. Jessica and Hoyt’s reunion was a long time going, and the whole season in general felt like a love letter to the fans. My only complaint was the Tara storyline. There was really no reason to kill her off. As much as I love Sookie and Bill, I like that their love story ended in angst rather than riding off into the sunset. Also, seeing Gran again was a treat!

33. Stacy says:

They definitely didn’t need the extra 10 minutes in this episode. I was begging for the torture to end.

• NK says:

They didn’t need the last three episodes of this series…it was like they knew they were short on material and just used endless amounts of filler to justify their pay checks

34. Bridget McNamara says:

Sookie marrying some other random after 6 seasons of love trysts between her and Bill / Eric/ Sam / Alcide is just plain ridiculous! What on Earth is the point of writing that in to the finale??!! No-one cares if Sookie marries – fans only cared if she ended up with either Eric or Bill in the end! Awful writing and just plain silly. Still, pointless appearances by the doctor and grand-daddy earlier in the season, and various other characters, were a sure sign that they’d run out of / couldn’t be bothered with an actual story-line for this season which pretty much meant it was a waste of time, v disappointing.

• DarkDefender says:

Seriously? In Bon Temps time, Sookie “dated” each guy for like a week.. 2 Max, except for Alicde (which was around 6 months).. With all the time jumps at the end.. She could be with the new guy for at least a couple years (and like 8m).
      Seeing Gran and hearing her tell Sookie to live her life alone.. May it great.

• Bridget McNamara says:

I don’t think you understand, DarkDefender: 1) Sookie was drawn to Bill in the very first episode – i.e. there has been a ‘connection’ between them ALL the way thru the Series, and they were, in fact, together for the first 3 seasons. In S1 ep11 Sookie and Sam grow close, and it’s clear all the way thru that Sam has feelings for her, again meaning that a relationship between them has been on the back burner for the entire Series. Her connection with Eric goes back to S4, tho their first kiss was in S3 – again, waaayy more than 1or 2 weeks. And 2) It’s the resolution of those KEY relationships, around which the entire series revolved, given that Sookie and Bill, and perhaps to a lesser extent, Eric, were the lead characters, that I believe fans were keen to see. Leaving them unresolved, or resolved in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with what has gone on between those characters over the preceding 7 years, has, understandably, left fans disappointed.

• I think that YOU don’t understand! Darkdefender is perfectly correct. These events did not occur over 7 years.

• Bridget McNamara says:

Heavy sigh… Ronald Simkins, the “7 years” I referred to was the 7 years over which the SERIES has run! Not an actual timeline of life in Bon Temps! My point was all about fans’ expectations and hopes in light of what they had been watching develop over 7 rt years! Sheesh!

• Marlowe28 says:

I loved seeing Niall and Dr. Ludwig, especially. They were both great actors and great characters. I do agree, Bridget, that the finale was poorly planned and poorly written. Sookie should have ended up with Eric or Bill or they should have allowed Alcide to live to be her husband. Lafayette, Arlene, Jason, Andy and Pam should have had a funny, sweet scene right at the end while Sookie, Eric and Bill looked on.

35. Ryan says:

Anyone notice book author Charlaine Harris as a crew person during Pam and Eriks tele-commercial?! Big highlight of a very low finale!

36. Olivia says:

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who is still annoyed with the Dexter finale. It was over almost a year ago, & I still haven’t gotten over how bad it was.
    This finale was MUCH better than Dexter’s, but really it was just OK.
    Seriously, Lafayette doesn’t even get a line? Bridgette, someone who has been on a handful of episodes, gets more of a storyline than a character who has been on the entire series. That is just wrong.
    The best part of the season was seeing Pam & Eric back together as partners in crime.

37. I actually liked the ending ( Though Lafayette deserved a line or two ),but what I don’t get is this: Sookie can’t do the gentle fairy ball kill which wouldn’t have been very dirty, but she doesn’t mind staking him which is the grisliest grossest way to go ? I would have chosen the cleaner way.

• atlanta says:

If she used the light bulb, she would have stopped being a faerie. That’s why she didn’t do it that way.

• DarkDefender says:

Not to mention she rarely went an episode without some kind of bloody vamp goo getting sprayed on her. It was nice to see Bill go out with a bang at Sookie’s hand.

• Catburn says:

I don’t see why Bill couldn’t have put his big vampire pants on and met the sun instead of eventually wearing Sookie down to kill him.

38. robvic says:

I liked Eric ending up where he did -but seriously Sookie -Bill is and will always be a Monster. Who did she end up with?
    This ranks up there with the horrible endings of the Sopranos and Dexter.

39. Jenny says:

I watched out of loyalty. But this show just went downhill in the Lilith season. And never recovered.

Awful series finale… Slow, boring, huge buildup to Bills death. No surprises twists or turns. Such a “safe” final season. Was hoping for some epic True Blood moments to unravel. Never happened.

40. TJ says:

Now I understand. True Blood was really the HBO version of How I Met Your Mother. Makes perfect sense.

41. AT says:

You know it’s bad when you imagine the worst ending possible and then it’s worse than that.

42. terrence says:

great show, but if you are being haunted by REAL ghosts or paranormal creatures get
    THE GHOST BOMB and stop the hauntings instantly! http://www.theghostbomb.com/

43. Pati says:

Worst finale in the history of all finales. Dexter looks like a masterpiece compared to this. Why why did the writers have to suck this bad. A weeding? Ughhhh what a cliche ending. Hated this entire season and the finale was the worst one I’ve ever seen

44. JennieErin says:

That sucked! I am Team Bill and Sookie (occasionally Team Eric and Sookie). I was hoping for a really cool outside the box solution where she could end up with Bill but instead I got predictable and pissed off. Really, she ends up with nameless faceless guy???? (although he has nice hair). I was really hoping for an awesome sendoff to this great show and instead I am so not happy (although this doesn’t reach How I Met You Mother level of disgust, I am still really mad!). I get really wary these days when they say Oh this episode is a love letter to our fans. Makes me wonder how often they write love letters. More often than not the fans are getting screwed out of something great because they think they are going to be sneaky by being predictable. Really tired of it. Thanks for wasting my time True Blood.

45. Lori says:

The ending in the books was truly marvelous the TV series ending sucked. She should have ended up with at least one of the guys we knew not some stranger. We want to watch her fall in love etc. Total fail.

46. more details says:

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
    Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
    quick. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not
    sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
    Many thanks

47. ronnie says:

I thought it was just an okay ending, They spent too much time on Bill and Sookie’s goodbye only to give us a small glimpse of everyone else. I have no problem with Sookie being with someone we don’t know, mainly because by having Bill die at her hand, it released her emotionally from all the vampire/supernatural beings and gave her what Bill wanted for her, a normal life with a husband and children, something she could never have with a vampire. You knew she would never be with Eric. That character was too selfish to be with anyone. And great to see Sara Newlin have the real unhappy ending.

48. Jess R. says:

This was one of the worst series finales I have ever seen. Period.

49. Blair says: