Exclusive

The Mindy Project: Niecy Nash Joins Season 3 Cast as Mindy's New Rival

The Mindy Project Season 3

Mindy Lahiri, we believe you’re about to meet your match.

The Mindy Project has cast comedy vet Niecy Nash (Reno 911!, Getting On) to play a rival to Mindy Kaling’s title character in Season 3, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED The Mindy Project Losing a Series Regular Ahead of Season 3

Nash’s recurring character, Dr. Jean Fishman, is a tough Bostonian physician who is the new chief of Shulman & Associates’ admitting hospital. A take-no-prisoners type who puts up with no nonsense whatsoever, Dr. Fishman also happens to be a lesbian.

RELATED Mindy Project Exclusive: Look Who’s Playing Danny’s Mom

Nash recently completed shooting Season 2 of HBO’s Getting On.

The Mindy Project kicks off its third season on Sept. 16.

1. bar says:

Wait wait wait! A woman other than Mindy??? You’re telling me that, for the first time since Season 1, a woman might be onscreen for more that three minutes in an episode? This is very weird.

• chaouad says:

The show is about Mindy and her relation with mens so its normal if she’s the main girl on the show and all the other woman are only in the background. I am very excited by this news tho.

• S. says:

If you don’t see the irony about your being catty about roles for women and directing that criticism at a woman who’s the lead of her own show, I can’t help you. She’s a multi-hyphenate. I’d say she’s doing plenty for women on tv without you counting ticks on a time clock re: estrogen source variety. There are women on the show. In addition to the women working in the office (Betsy is only being scaled back for budget reasons, note Niecy is recurring too), there were Anna Gunn and Chloe Sevigny storylines. It’s about Mindy for crying out loud. When it’s the Beverly Project–which I would so watch–she’ll be that level of focus. Now that Mindy’s love life has shifted, there’ll be plenty of time for other women anyway.

• bar says:

I just think that Mindy should have one female friend. And I don’t want to hear about budget concerns while they’re employing Adam Pally. Cut him and use the money for funny female actors.

2. Ray says:

This is some delicious piece of casting news. Can’t wait!

3. David4 says:

Enlisted gets canceled yet this is still on the air.

No justice in the world.

4. It is hard to understand why there are people who appear to have an aversion towards letting other
    people make some money. For me, the exciting part of affiliate marketing is the ability to continue to do this right into retirement.
    Affiliate marketing is a niche market that allows you to make money using the
    Internet.

5. Bookmark this article and when prices are released, I’ll be sure
    to include them. Spend some time hiking, fishing or just curled up
    in your favorite chair with a great a book. This hotel is just
    off from the brand new convention center as well which will be steadily busy throughout the year
    as Vancouver will take on dozens of new conventions.

6. Reba says:

Ugh…. Well, I was looking for to TMP

7. UGH………CANNOT STAND NIECY NASH!!! Looks like I will be cutting Mindy off my list!

8. J.Norman says:

I don’t think that this will be the key to success for The Mindy Project.

9. KC says:

This show is still on? LOL

10. SherryB says:

I thought Niecy Nash had a series called Soul Man with Cedric the Entertainer.. Has that been cancelled?

11. well how many shows do Niecy Nash needs? LOL be congrads girl

12. What’s up, this weekend is fastidious in favor of me, because this
    time i am reading this wonderful educational article here at my residence.

13. I pay a visit day-to-day a few sites and websites to
    read articles, but this webpage offers quality based articles.

14. I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!