Halt and Catch Fire Gets Season 2

Halt and Catch Fire Renewed

There will be no Blue Screen of Death for Halt and Catch Fire. Rather, AMC has renewed the retro drama about PC pioneers for Season 2.

VIDEO Walking Dead First Look: The Carol-Tyreese Horror You Didn’t See!

“This is a show about invention, experimentation and the inherent risks in trying to break new ground — themes that really resonate with us as a network and attracted a passionate audience,” AMC president Charlie Collier said in a statement. “We have a history of demonstrating patience through the early seasons of new shows, betting on talent and building audience over time. We see that opportunity here and look forward to a second season of Halt and Catch Fire from creators Chris Cantwell and Chris Rogers, and showrunner Jonathan Lisco.”

The “patience” Collier speaks of alludes to the show’s freshman numbers, which averaged just 1.3 million weekly viewers with Live+7 DVR playback lumped in. (That said, AMC notes that Halt was No. 3 among affluent viewers age 18-49, trailing only The Good Wife and Mad Men.) The cabler similarly granted a second season to the Revolutionary War espionage drama TURN, despite middling numbers.

RELATED Ron Livingston Cast as Paul Revere in AMC Comedy Pilot

Does this renewal news get your floppy drive churning? Where do you think the show will go, now that Joe’s vision has been defeated by the Macintosh?

VIDEO: Lee Pace ‘Proud’ of Halt and Catch Fire, Hungry for Hannibal and Pies

• rockgolf says:

Great news! It probably helps to have lived thru the period, but I thought it was a great show with a lead who’s basically Walter White with more business savvy, two strong female leads, and really intelligent scripting that doesn’t cater to the lowest common denominator.

I hope there’s a 2 or 3 year time-jump for season 2.

• rockgolf says:

Minor addition: Lee Pace’s character has Walter White’s scientific expertise, & Don Draper’s salesmanship & charisma.

1. wrstlgirl says:

Meh, I wasn’t really that impressed with s1. I might give it another try depending on the competition.

2. CJ says:

I am shocked it was renewed, but I’m pretty glad. The show had finally found its groove and I’m looking forward to another season. Nice to see AMC being patient with a show that has a lot of potential.

3. supertech14 says:

This makes me very happy!

4. redjane12 says:

Very unexpected (not due to quality but to woeful ratings) but AWESOME news! Perhaps the news might convinced a few more people to watch Season 1 which ended up being one of my favourite new shows this year.

Very grateful indeed to AMC’s hopeful renewal at any rate…

5. Annie says:

YES. This excites me so much. Can’t wait to see where they go. The show foundered a bit trying to find its footing early on, but the characters drew me in, and particularly in the last 2 or 3 episodes, it approached excellence. I hope more people give it a shot – it’s definitely *not* a “tech/geek show,” not at all, even though that’s the context, any more than “Mad Men” is “just” about advertising.

6. Tim says:

too bad Rubicon didn’t get a second chance

7. amy says:

Yaaaaayyyyyyy! Am so happy right now.

8. Jamie Paton says:

I really hope season 2 is more centered around Cameron and Donna. I’m way more interested in following that storyline than anything going on with Joe or Gordon and Cardiff Electric.

9. Superhero says:

I mean… I just… why?

10. Will season 1 be on Netflix?

11. Kate says:

Huh…can I hope that means the main Plot A for season 2 can be Donna and Cameron and not Joe and Gordon?

12. Libby says:

Excellent news! I liked it from the beginning but the last half of the season was just outstanding.

13. Even though I wasn’t all that thrilled with the ending, I don’t think I looked forward to any other show during the week more than Halt and Catch Fire. Nothing that’s been on this summer has come close to being as uniquely interesting. Even though our four “heroes” have varying degrees of rottenness, I still wanted them to succeed.

14. Rachel says:

YES!!! YES!! YES!!! I am so happy!! AMC did the right thing! THANK YOU, AMC!!!

15. lee says:

Guess this means my dream of seeing Lee Pace as Francis Dolarhyde om Hannibal are shattered.

16. Tim says:

Yes! So glad that both Halt & Catch Fire and Turn have been renewed for a second season. They are both near the top of my watch list.

17. Miranda says:

Awesome. More Lee Pace in my life is just what I need!

18. A bit surprised since its ratings were uhh not too good, but really happy! Surely it has its ups and downs throughout this season (I like to think Helly Up Aa is the true finale and 1984 was the epilogue) but I absolutely loved the dynamics between the characters (Joe and Gordon & The Clarks) and the twists (Slingshot).

SO looking forward to seeing more of Lee, Scoot, Kerry and Mackenzie next summer!

19. Diz says:

Awesome news! I really enjoyed it and love everyone on the cast.

20. Eva says:

Great surprise!

21. Bill says:

Great news….loved the show. Storylines needed more PR support from AMC.

22. Fantastic! I am so glad AMC made this decision. Really looking forward to where they will take it from here. Hope AMC gives it a bit more promotion than they did in its first season so they have a chance to draw in more viewers.

23. Norkir says:

I’m doing my Purina cat chow chow chow happy dance!! Joe is a perineal come back from rock bottom kind of winner. He’s never heard the words can’t & don’t! He’s not an original idea guy but he know what to latch on to and propel it to the top. I can let out my breath now-thank you AMC!

24. This is great! I’m so addicted to the show. I’ll make it a commitment to ensure their decision was worthwhile. I’ll buy the DVD’s. I’ll buy the HACF swag. I’ll get the word out to all my co-workers in my IT Department! Awesome!

25. Yes ! I’ve been waiting for this.
    One of the best new show this summer, I’ll glady tune in next year, the season finale was quite intriguing.

26. Arlene says:

0100001 yay

27. JoeVolpe says:

Visionaries and Entrepreneurs never give up and come back with a vengeance I am looking forward to Joe’s journey of discovery about business and himself. This can be one of the great ones. Not to leave out the rest of the cast, simply said, DITTO. Thanks for giving it a chance

28. Ram510 says:

Didn’t Turn have better numbers than Halt and Catch Fire?

29. MW says:

Ah, well, at least some of you are happy, so that’s good.

Our mileage varied: for us – we’ve both been in the software development industry since the 1980s, and both kids are in the industry now as well — the show lost us by ep 3 or 4, and we didn’t even bother to DVR the rest. (And for us H&CF’s SRSBZNS tone suffered in comparison to Silicon Valley.)

• Rachel says:

Boy did you miss out. Episodes 2 & 3 were probably the weakest, unfortunately, but it really started to pick up around 4&5 and then just kept getting better with each episode. You might give it another chance now that we know for sure there will be more.

30. caro_brasil says:

Amazing news!!

31. Joey Padron says:

Glad show got renewed. Last couple of episodes of season 1 have been great. Can’t wait to see what happens in season 2z

32. Kristi says:

I am glad they renewed it. I didn’t think I’d like it but got hooked. Lee Pace is good and the rest of the cast is as well. Looking forward to season 2.

33. ? says:

I honestly think this show could become AMC’s next Breaking Bad. The subject matter may not be as compelling (what is?), but the characters are similarly as well-drawn, complicated, and interesting to watch. It adds cinematic touches effectively for pathos and thematic resonance, as Breaking Bad did. And while it struggled a bit to introduce its complicated plot and unfamiliar setting to viewers in the beginning, it seemed to have smoothed that out completely by the end. Absolutely the right call to renew because of quality, and I’d wager the bet will pay off and word of mouth will spread before its next season. Just make sure it ends up on Netflix . . .