The Leftovers Recap: Apocalypse Now

The Leftovers Episode 8

The events that transpire in this week’s episode of The Leftovers are so shocking that it’s probably going to take until next week’s episode for my jaw to stop hurting from hitting the floor (repeatedly!). Do you dare read on and relive the horrors of “Cairo”?

RELATED HBO Renews The Leftovers for Season 2

THE LAST SUPPER | Early on, Nora’s (first?) dinner at the Garveys’ goes bad when Jill accuses her of packing heat. Though Nora is able to prove that she’s not concealing a weapon, Jill remains so unconvinced that she later picks a fight with Aimee and asks what we’ve all wanted to for weeks: “Did you [bleep] my dad?” Aimee says yes, but (I think) only because she’s so hurt that Jill would wonder, and moves out. Meanwhile, Jill gets the Frost twins to join her as she breaks into Nora’s house to further investigate. There, Jill finds — hidden in a game of Trouble in Nora’s kids’ room — the (not technically) smoking gun. And this crushes her, theoretically because it means that neither Nora nor anyone else can ever be okay after The Sudden Departure. Off this, Jill approaches her dad’s mad dog with a knife and, thankfully, sets it free rather than slit its throat. And finally, we realize just how lost this kid is: She shows up on the doorstep of the Guilty Remnant and asks if she can stay there for a while.

ULTIMATE EVIL | Before Jill follows in her mother’s footsteps, we see that the GR is busy as hell preparing for Memorial Day. And, the GR being absolutely vile, this does not mean hanging a flag on their lawn or stocking up on burgers and beer. No, it appears that the chain-smoking nutbags are organizing clothing belonging to all of Mapleton’s Departed and buying dummies that resemble the MIA in order to put on some kind of horrific display. (Charmed, I’m sure.) In other GR developments, Meg flips when Matt starts circulating “Come Home Megan” fliers, and attacks the reverend both verbally and physically. Afterward, Laurie notepad-scolds the newbie, scribbling at her that violence is weak and daring her to prove her strength by apologizing to Matt. When she does, Nora points out the obvious to her brother: “She’s not sorry.” Which only pisses off Meg more. She’d love to see Nora’s face on Memorial Day, she hisses to Laurie. (GR rules be damned, she’s a real Chatty Cathy this week.) When her mentor finally slaps her to shut her up, we get a sense that Meg kinda likes getting a rise out of Laurie. But what are we to make of that? (And the fact that Meg’s “grief was hijacked,” as Matt puts it, because her mother died the day before The Sudden Departure?)

CABIN IN THE WOODS | Where is Patti while all of this is going on? Well, we’ve saved the worst (best?) for last, folks. Along with Garvey, we learn that, during a blackout, he had a few beers with Dean, then knocked out the GR leader and took her to the Evil Dead cabin — which, it turns out, is in Cairo, NY — in order to murder her. As you’d expect, he is pretty upset about this turn of events. Which, in turn, upsets Dean — he wants Garvey to bring back the other side of his personality, the decisive, angry, violent one. WTH is Garvey to do? What can he do? He doesn’t want to kill Patti, but if he lets her go, she’ll ruin him. She flat-out says so. Even after Garvey fights Dean (who may be hearing the same voices that Garvey Sr. does) to keep him from smothering her, she maintains that, the second she’s set free, he’s toast. Finally, alone with Patti, Garvey asks what she wants. And her answer is so poetic and mystifying that, when she’s done, all he can say is, “Now I know why you don’t [bleeping] talk.” But their conversation does yield some concrete intel. For instance, Patti insists that Laurie didn’t join the GR because Garvey had failed her, she joined because the cult gave her a purpose, “something to live for, something to die for.” Waaait a minute… did you kill Gladys? Garvey asks. “She was a okay with it,” Patti replies nonchalantly. Just like Laurie will be okay with it when it’s her time. Holy crap, how crazy are these people?!? As if to prove us wrong, no matter how crazy we think they are, once Garvey releases Patti and to hell with his future, she picks up a shard of glass and slits her own throat! And, just like that, the point of no return fades from view…

OK, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you more surprised that Patti had Gladys killed or that Patti killed herself? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. stickingaround says:

This show, while yes its depressingly depressing, is a masterpiece in its own. Probably the best new show (well drama) of 2014, which is needed as Sons, Mad Men, and Boardwalk are all ending. The leftovers shines in the acting and music mainly (Every time the Max richer music starts playing, I just get all into the feels). Anyway’s its very smart that there aren’t answers to everything (which some people are lazy and think everything should be spelled out for them). You have to actually think rather than wait for another big explosion or something. Still hate Jill but whatever and Patti will always be my girl.

2. Matthew says:

I’ve had mixed feelings about this show from the start. I like dark
    Things but this started very bleak culminating in the stoning. Since I think the show has improved a lot. I will Definately miss patti. I like to think but something’s could be more clear.

3. Robby says:

Ann Dowd deserves performer of the week. RIP Patti.

4. Mswerdlow says:

I think Dean is really Kevin’s alter ego; kinda like in Fight Club with Brad Pitt& Edward Norton. Garvey is battling his dark side. Patti was already dead inside; an empty shell waiting for her physical body to join her spiritual one. The GR members are a “Jonestown” cult just waiting to drink their ‘Kool-Aid!

• CountryQueen says:

But others have seen him, so that’s not the case. I think it was in the epi where Gladys died – he found her. Of course, now I think he stoned her. What he said when he left Patti and Kevin was aimed at Patti, not Kevin (which I think he realized). Can’t remember exactly what it was, as it was so quite and quick.

5. Mswerdlow says:

I think Dean is Kevin’s evil alter ego. The 2 sides are battling for control of Kevin. They are like Brad Pitt& Edward Norton in Fight Club. Patti was already dead spiritually; her body just had to follow. The GR are a cult akin to the ‘Jonestown’ cult, just waiting to swallow the Kool-Aid!

6. Et al says:

This show confuses me in the best possible way. I haven’t been this excited, intrigued, and perplexed by a show in a very long time.

7. paul gonzo gonzales says:

in fact it is kevin and the other inhabitants of his town are the ones who have gone and it is only through their own deaths that they can return to the life they had before. or they’re in purgatory. it is a lindelof show after all.

• David4 says:

But it’s based on a book, so it’s not a Lindelof idea. However he has already come out and admitted that it’s not about where people went but how that changed the world.

• CountryQueen says:

Where they went is not what is important. It’s about those leftover. Don’t go looking for answers to the Departure. We’ll get none. Tom Perotta didn’t write any. I’m in for the character drama, not the mystery.

• R.O.B. says:

I get your point, but it wouldn’t hurt to keep teasing out clues and finally let us know. Even if Perotta didn’t write it into his book, Lindelof can take some creative license – as a faithful $15 per month HBO subscriber I give him permission. That’s a pretty big meatball hanging out there, as Jerry Seinfeld would say. This is a fun show to speculate about, but to me, there are strange events going on with those left over that I would think point to what happened. But if it is for certain that we never get to find out what is going on, that is a real bummer.

8. Aaron says:

It’s too bad no one from the show knew to tell the actor’s that the people from the New York town pronounce the name of their town “kay-ro”.

9. Billy says:

I’ll be honest. This is the episode that turned me off if this show. I am still fuming from investing so much into Lost and despite the promises from the creators to not go down the path again of getting people to invest their time into a show and leave them with nothing, leftovers is heading down the same path. Story arc is so similar to lost 1st season. One question is moderately answered just enough to keep us interested and three more questions pop up. I’m not getting hoodwinked again. I’m jumping ship.

10. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after checking through
    some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless,
    I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

11. Ricky Lee Jones says:

It’s the one show I look forward to all week. I don’t think it’s a sad show, it’s just dark and incredibly subversive. I don’t actually enjoy the hour but I feel uplifted at the end, as if I survived a hard challenge. It’s great TV at its very very best. It’s not for everyone but if you’re willing to endure it, there’s a payoff at the end.

12. M says:

I like dark shows and this is one of them but since episode 1, this is first of my “Sunday” shows I watch and I think about it for days. The story and acting are excellent and I was very happy there will be a season 2.

13. Lori Slone says:

Ok, I get that Jill is hurting because her mother left her to go to some cult, but man she is a real witch in the show. The pace of the show is strange and hard to completely get into. As a book reader, it’s been a little difficult to reconcile how different it’s turning out to be, but c’est la vie. I am really freaked out by the “voices” that Garvey is hearing and all of the violent crap he’s been getting into while in some other persona. He is seriously losing it, but I am loving his performance! I would be freaking the crap out if I were him esp. knowing that I was on the same path as dear old dad. It’s only a matter of time before he loses it completely.

14. Drew says:

Another great review, but why does the link for this review have to actually include a spoiler about the episode? Can’t the link just end with “episode-8“? Instead, anyone I email this link to will see “patti-dies“ in the link in their email message before they even read the review.

15. What was the poem Patti was quoting?

16. The greatest thing about it part in the camera is the feature that can out shakiness.
    Using the included HDMI cable to look at footage
    on a big screen TV really shows off the digital camera’s quality.

Since you aren’t going to be able to accomplish any
    serious production having a Bolex camera then you may desire to itemize your requirements first.
    This spy camera application is pretty suitable for those who what things to secretly record videos or take pictures at offices, or homes to catch thieves
    and intruders. Diy spy camera glasses To make up
    for this, though, they generally offer a greater quality picture and much
    more reliable transmission than wireless cameras.

17. Jennifer Lawani says:

Ann dowd was AMAZING in TRUE DETECTIVE, and was just ad thought provoking in the LEFTOVERS. To be amazing in a 5 minute role (true det) is a feat. The score is great, one of the only shows, besides LOST, that actually challenged me to question EVERYTHING I know to be normal.

18. Really need to have an idea of what is going on or I will stop watching. Is the whole world acting like these morons or just this town? Why?

• Mswerdlow says:

It’s all about GUILT! How would u feel if all your loved ones SUDDENLY went PPOF?? Why not you? Was it something u unknowingly did? What can u do to remedy the situation. The Leftovers reminds me of an episode on The Twilight Zone where a small town is taken over by aliens and the citizens viciously turn on each other. In fact, think Damon Lindelof must be a big fan of Twilight Zone. But In the final episode, there is some kind of resolution. LIFE CAN GO ON !
      Whatever happened to the man who shot the dogs and probably ‘stoned’ Patti? He seems to have disappeared cause I think he was Kevin’s dark side!