Outlander Renewed for Season 2

Outlander Season 2 Renewal

That was fast.

Less than a week after its highly-rated launch, Outlander has scored a Season 2 renewal at Starz.

The 13-episode second season will be based on Dragonfly in Amber, the second book in Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series.

RELATED Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

“The overwhelming support Outlander has received from the fans, viewers and critics made the decision for us to go ahead with the second book a very easy one,” said Starz CEO Chris Albrecht in a statement. “With an incredible artist such as Ronald D. Moore at the helm and a cast as spectacular as this, we look forward to continue this spell-binding journey with Claire, Jamie, Frank, Brianna, Roger and everybody over the centuries.”

1. K says:

Haven’t seen it but I’m glad. The problem with TV shows these days is that you don’t wanna watch a show where you think it’ll get cancelled after one season. A lot of networks have no faith these days

• Ray says:

There are plenty of shows that should have been one-and-done; Under the Dome, Extant (hopefully), etc. I’m glad Hostages and Crisis were also one season because there was a beginning, middle and end.

However, being based on an eight part written saga, I’d agree Outlander has much more life in it than a single season.

2. Roger says:

Sony Pictures TV is having a damn good week with all the series pickups at WGNA and now Outlander.

3. Sabrina says:

Great news.

4. Wonderful news! Outlander is the best show I’ve seen in ages! I hope they continue with a season (or more) per book!

5. Carly says:

YES. ROGER. And little Fergus. And Lord John!

6. This is fantastic news! My husband and I both think it’s the best thing on TV, and it’s great to know this epic, action-adventure historical story will continue into its second season. A very smart move by Starz!

7. A says:

Great news!!!
    Really liked the 1st episode & looking for more.
    I haven’t read the books so can anyone tell me if the novel series is ongoing or is it over?

• Carly says:

The 8th book, Written in My Own Heart’s Blood, was published in June. Gabaldon has said there is at least one more book in the main Jamie/Claire series. There’s also spin-off books and novellas.

So yes–plenty of source material left! They shouldn’t run into a GoT-type problem.

• A says:

Thanx Carly. The first episode was slow but it was interesting & now i want more. The lead character Claire is really good & i liked that she wasn’t some “damsel in distress”.
        And are there any gay characters in the series?

• A says:

They did a great job with casting specially with Caitriona Balfe as Claire

• Suz says:

There are, but I don’t want to spoil anything.

• Carly says:

I’m so glad people are discovering the series. The book starts out a little slow, too. If the show continues to follow the books so closely, it’ll hit the ground running in the next episode. Claire is many things, but never a damsel in distress. And agreed–Caitriona does an excellent playing her!

Yep! Lord John Grey is a beloved gay character from later books. Also, his spin-off books are mysteries.

• A says:

Thnx Suz & Carly. I’m more excited than b4 abt this series now. I tried very hard not to know more about the series fearing it would spoil the tv series for me but i went ahead & read about Lord John Grey anyway.

8. CourtTV says:

If you check out comments made by the Starz CEO it sounds like he has read some of the books. How can you not renew with such great (and plentiful) source material?

9. Excellent show! Got a lot of love from critics and rightfully so.

10. Eatgarden says:

Well, I am glad they used their common sense and renewed it for season 2 but I am disappointed they didn’t renew it for seasons 3 and 4, too.

11. Trista says:

My life is now complete!!!!

12. Stanislava says:

Great news!

13. Amanda says:

How many episodes are there to season 1? I’m really enjoying what I’ve seen so far!

14. christine says:

Yay!

15. Temperance says:

The pilot was fantastic… ally boring. No chemistry with the husband, endless swathes of time tripping though the (pretty) wet forest for no payoff.

• Shaina says:

It really was. I almost gave up on the show at that point. Except the part at the end where they got to old Scotland, and suddenly the spark I’d been waiting for clicked in. And then it occurred to me that the relationship between Frank and Claire HAD been awkward and fraught in the books. Fortunately, you could set a wet blanket afire with the chemistry between Sam Heughan and Caitrona Bailfe.

16. LaBete says:

I’m so glad to hear this! It really encourages people to invest in the series when they know Starz already has the confidence to green light a season 2 right out of the box!

17. Jim Spitters says:

This series is very well done. Every episode leaves you wanting more. Claire is a very interesting character with many great qualities. She is beautiful, yet intelligent and strong. The story is a great mix of drama, adventure, mystery and history. The sets are fabulous, authentic and visually appealing. I look forward to watching many more episodes.

18. Gerry Torres says:

Love the show. Didnt have Starz but called dish & added it so I could watch. The hour just flies. Keeps me totally engrossed.