Soap Vet Charles Keating Dead at 72

Charles Keating Dead Another World

Charles Keating, a classically trained Shakespearean actor well known to daytime-TV fans for his Emmy-winning run as Another World‘s Carl Hutchins, has died at age 72.

Soap Opera Digest confirmed the news on Saturday, after one of Keating’s former costars, Alicia Coppola (AW‘s Lorna), shared this on Twitter.

A cause of death has not yet been disclosed.

Born in London, England, Keating worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company at Stratford-upon-Avon before segueing into television via series such as Life and Death of Penelope, Crown Court and Brideshead Revisited. He played AW‘s Carl off and on from 1983 to 1999, and also appeared on the daytime dramas All My Children (as Dr. Damon Lazarre), As the World Turns (as Niles Mason) and Port Charles (as James Ritchfield).

He was nominated a total of four times for Daytime Emmy awards, finally grabbing gold in 1996 (watch video below). In 1986, he netted a Tony Award nod for his role in a revival of Loot.

Mark Pinter, who played AW‘s Grant, remembered Keating on Facebook with a Shakespeare quote: “He was a man, take him for all in all, I shall not look upon his like again.”

Keating’s TV credits also include episodes of Alias, Xena, Sex and the City and The Equalizer, while on the big screen he appeared in such films as The Bodyguard and The Thomas Crown Affair.

1. Jay says:

RIP Loved him as Carl. Such a great actor

2. nas says:

This made me sad. I remember watching Another World with my mom growing up. It’s how she learned English and I got hooked. I always loved Carl. I still remember when he won the Emmy. He seemed so beloved by his colleagues.

3. Stephanie says:

So sad over his passing. I will never forget the storyline about Grant killing his brother Ryan, Carl’s son and Carl’s revenge. To this day, Charles Keating is my favorite actor of all time.

May you rest in peace, Mr. Keating.

• big cheddar says:

Just thinking about his scenes with Ryan’s body gets me teary. And he was part of a supercouple!

• JennieErin says:

To this day Ryan is one of my favorite daytime characters and I loved the dynamic that he and Carl had. RIP Charles Keating.

4. Ann Byer says:

Such a great actor, the only other character i hated as much as i hated Carl from another world was JR from Dalls. May he rest in peace.

5. Alex says:

He played a great villain on AW. Then somehow the show redeemed him and paired him with Rachel. I’m not sure I bought the redemption, but the fact that I always enjoyed watching Carl anyway is due to Keating’s talent. I bet Victoria Wyndham is pretty upset about his death–they acted together outside of AW at times.

6. Diane says:

Loved Carl and Loved Another World. Will always be my favorite soap opera. Thanks for including this memorial on your site.

• shawn says:

This makes me so sad. I loved Charles as Carl Hutchins on AW. Such a wonderfully talented actor and a great man. I will always cherish the memories that he gave me and the soap itself was my all-time favorite. I cried when it was canceled! It was that great and with the best actors and characters, Charles being at the very top of that list. RIP.

7. mimi says:

My heart is broken. Loved him!!!!

8. That was a good looking elderly gentleman who had a nice accent to boot.

• shawn says:

I absolutely loved his accent! I always thought he was a sexy and attractive man. I loved his chemistry with the entire cast, especially with Victoria. I loved Carl and Rachel! I also recall the days of his villainy. One of the best villains daytime has ever seen. I somehow rooted for him when I should’ve been rooting solely for the hero and heroine. They just don’t make them as amazing as they used to! I’ll forver cherish the happiness Charles and the other actors on AW gave us. May he rest in peace.

9. GhostWolf says:

While not a regular viewer of Another World, I did enjoy the Carol / Rachel pairing when it occurred toward the end of the show’s run. He had an elegance to him (similar to Cary Grant) with his acting style and well as his lovely accent. He will be missed.

10. ScorpionGlow says:

Rest In Peace. I grew up watching him.

11. lybda hirsch says:

I was lucky enough to know the actor and the man. Both were superb.

12. Sara says:

That is so sad! I loved him on Another World. He was an amazing actor. Rest well, Charles.

13. robinepowell says:

I always enjoyed him on Another World. He was such a good actor that did villains well.

14. GeoDiva says:

Another World was such a great soap! He was great!

15. RIP Mr. Carl Hutchins. You will be remembered as a stellar actor who made my daytime soap opera viewing well loved.

16. TinLV says:

Other sites reporting Mr Keating died after a long battle with cancer. Thank you for posting this story. Soaps and the actors who star in them are mostly ignored by so-called mainstream TV sites. He was a great actor, not only in soaps.. and he will be missed.

17. Maggie says:

I grew up watching Charles Keating on Another World. Carl was such a bad guy, yet you couldn’t help rooting for him. That was because of Keating’s great acting and charisma. I recently saw a Sex and the City rerun with him and wondered what he was doing now.

Rest in peace Mr. Keating. My sympathy to your family and friends.

18. cindy cortese says:

This is very sad News I was very luck to know him and his famly he was a wonderful person /My heart goes out to his family /The Cortese Family

19. Glo says:

I’m not sure why, but Carl’s death had affected me deeply. Rip,Godspeed. I hope he didn’t suffer with the cancer. My condolences to his family and friends.

20. this on top of losing Robin Williams, make this the saddest time ever..I loved Charles Keaton..saw him in every thing he did except broadway..I will miss him.

21. Felicia Porter says:

I was so saddened and shocked to hear of Charles Keating’s death his character Carl Hutchins was a man you loved to hate and then fell in love with I am truly and deeply saddened