Emmys

Emmy Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Emmys 2014

It’s easy to complain that the Emmys give us the same old set of nominees year in and year out, but that would be ignoring what’s happening in the 2014 race for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.

Not only is the 2013 champ (Nurse Jackie‘s Merritt Wever) relegated to the sidelines, but a full 50 percent of this year’s contenders are first-timers in the category: Mom‘s Allison Janney; Orange Is the New Black‘s Kate Mulgrew and Saturday Night Live’s Kate McKinnon.

Two other actresses with 2014 nods are also seeking their initial wins: The Big Bang Theory‘s Mayim Bialik (nominated for the third consecutive year) and Veep‘s Anna Chlumsky (currently on nomination No. 2).

That leaves Modern Family‘s Julie Bowen — the victor in 2011 and 2012 — as the only 2014 contender who’s already tasted victory in the Supporting Actress in a Comedy sweepstakes. (Janney, of course, was a four-time winner on the drama side — twice as supporting, twice as lead — during her run on The West Wing, while the other four actresses in the race remain trophy-free.)

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine talents when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25 ? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every weekday for the next fortnight, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. jasie says:

Kate Mulgrew is the best on OITNB. Love her character Red.

2. DreamRose311 says:

I’d be pretty happy to see Allison Janney win both this and guest actress in a drama.

3. webly3 says:

Kate Mulgrew deserves it!

4. Tran says:

Kate Mulgrew will win. Kate McKinnon (surprisingly) should win. Can’t imagine seeing the look of McKinnon’s “crazy eyes”.

5. Nick says:

Kate McKinnon. Easy.

6. Also bubble witch saga w-2 generator a nice day. Strategy is everything High scores= more stars and coins and use up to the upholstery
    fabric and flooring choices. We’ll get to keep coming bubble witch saga w-2 generator back.

7. Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the pictures on this blog loading?

I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end
    or if it’s the blog. Any feed-back would be greatly
    appreciated.

8. Dude says:

Anna Chlumsky no question.

9. MattArmando says:

It’d be a delight to see Kate Mulgrew win for OITNB, especially after so many years in other works like RYAN’S HOPE with no recognition. Julie Bowen also did some solid work on MODFAM this year.
    SHOULD WIN: Kate Mulgrew
    WILL WIN: Allison Janney

10. Tom says:

Anyone but Julie Bowen. Top picks would be Chlumsky, Janney, or McKinnon

11. christine says:

Kate McKinnon!

12. HAP says:

Kate Mulgrew is a fine actress. But can anyone tell me what’s funny about the character she plays?

I’m personally torn between Anna Chlumsky and Allison Janney for the win.

• dan says:

Kate’s character, Red, is hysterical. She delivers her lines in such a deadpan manner that the humor is sometimes lost. She takes a throw-away line and gives it humor and meaning. Granted, some of her work is more dramatic, but that is the problem with “OITNB” listing itself as a comedy and not a drama. I’d love for Kate Mulgrew to win, but Allison Janney is an Emmy favorite and she was the best thing about “Mom” (Anna Farris is good, but AJ is better). I think Mayim Bialik has a decent chance of being the spoiler this year and taking home the prize (which would be fine with me).

13. JustBecause says:

As long as it isn’t Mayim Bialik, then anyone of the other 5 would be a fine winner. That said, I’d prefer it to be either Allison Janney, Julie Bowen, or Anna Chlumsky

14. Nicole says:

I LOVE Mayim Bialik and I would love to see her win and represent for her and the other two hilarious, talented women on The Big Bang Theory, but I have to root for Alison Janney on this one. Mom was one of my favorite shows to premiere last year and whilst I love the whole cast, Alison always steals the show. Not only does she have flawless comedic timing, but her physical comedy, her facial expressions, are laugh-out-loud funny. Also, while it is a sitcom and the award is for comedy, Alison also had some incredible emotional moments on the show as well.

• JLK says:

I was torn between several of the nominees and gave the nod to Janney for the same reasons you mentioned. She had a lot of range and brought a lot of depth to her character along with bringing the funny.

15. Ron says:

Easily Kate Mulgrew. Yes, she has some pretty serious moments on OITNB, but her character is also one of the more consistently funnier ones in a not-so-comedy “comedy.” Allison Janney, as an actress, is amazing. But I kinda forbid for anyone and anything on such a mediocre show such as Mom to win any kind of major award. Nothing has been funny on SNL for years, not even McKinnon. Bialik’s character on Big Bang (already an overhyped show) is one-note. Bowen already has two Emmys and has had better seasons than this last one. Chlumsky is good, and would be my second pick. But I can’t really justify a Chlumsky win when Mulgrew is in the same category.

16. WonderWaage says:

Everyone but Mayim Bialik

17. Miranda says:

I must be the only one who finds Kate Mulgrew quite overrated – and she has such a decidedly un-comedic role.

18. carter adams says:

OITNB is a great show, but it is NOT a comedy. I would give this award to Mayim Bialik, with Kate McKinnon second. Modern Family is the most overrated show in history. So, please NOT JULIE BOWEN!!!!

19. As much as I love OITNB, it is not a comedy.

20. Jay jay says:

Kate Mulgrew will win. Hands down.