Exclusive

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Adds NYPD Blue's Henry Simmons in Season 2

SHIELD Season 2 Spoilers

Thanks to S.H.I.E.L.D.’s latest recruit, the agency can soon kiss all of its problems goodbye — its mechanical problems, anyway.

RELATED Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Scoop: Kyle MacLachlan to Play [Huge Spoiler]

Henry Simmons (NYPD Blue) will recur in the second season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as agent Alphonso “Mac” Mackenzie, a mechanic in his early 30s, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Simmons joins a long list of Season 2 newcomers, including Kyle MacLachlan (Desperate Housewives) as Skye’s father, Reed Diamond (Dollhouse) as baddie Daniel Whitehall, British actor Nick Blood as Lance Hunter, Simon Kassianides (Nikita) as the mysterious Bakshi and Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) as veteran S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Isabelle Hartly.

S.H.I.E.L.D. begins its sophomore season on Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 9/8c.

Thoughts on Simmons’ casting? Hopes for the new season? Drop ‘em all in the comments section below.

1. CBWBDK1 says:

He’s great. Kill that awfull tripp and replace him with this guy!

2. Missy Kelly says:

Will Simmons be bringing that 6 pack of abs that I remember from NYPD Blue! Now I know where all the pretty people work S.H.I.E.L.D. and why I don’t have a job.

3. Josh says:

Pfft, I much rather have Mac from Veronica Mars ;-)

4. whatever, just tell us who is playing Mockingbird

5. Tran says:

Long time coming to see Henry Simmons back on TV. He was great as Baldwin Jones on NYPD Blue but he wasn’t very funny in the short lived ABC sitcom Man Up back in 2011.

6. bj says:

I like him. Glad he’s been cast.

7. Alia says:

He’s awesome; can’t wait to see him on the show. (Early 30s, though? The guy’s 44.)

• Dreamrose says:

I see two solutions to your complaint of his age: one, they ignore the fact that the actor’s 44, or two, they will at some point change the age of the character to be closer to the age of the actor.

For what it’s worth, it’s not unusual for an actor to play older (or younger) than their actual age. Len Cariou (74) plays the father of Tom Selleck (69) on “Blue Bloods,” for instance.

8. Joey Padron says:

Casting for new characters for season 2 have been good so far. Excited to see new season this fall.

9. JC1 says:

Awesome. I really liked him on Shark.

10. Marcus T. says:

Don’t like Simmons see him, Given her type she would be all over him. lol

11. Don’t have any feelings one way or another about the actor, but I’m excited for all the casting news. It’ll be nice to have some new blood on the show. I really hope they give these characters a chance to grow and develop. I’m way way over Ward, and hope they move quickly to promote BJ Britt to a regular to fill the Specialist role, and then get to work rebuilding SHIELD.

12. Song4Ten says:

LOVE Tripp. HATE Skye. If they have to kill off a main character, she’s the first one that should go. She’s been absolutely awful from the start. Oh, and she can take Ward with her when she goes!

• Brigid says:

I think Skye is awesome! At least she can act which is more than I can say for the guy who plays Tripp. Not knocking the character because he’s fun but the guy is unconvincing as an actor.

13. Brigid says:

I LOVE Henry Simmons! He’s a great actor and one the most handsome men. Great casting!

14. Pedro says:

God! How good-looking can he be!?