Scoop: James Van Der Beek Joins the Cast of CSI: Cyber as a Series Regular

James Van Der Beek Cast CSI Cyber

The quick demise of Friends With Better Lives apparently didn’t sour James Van Der Beek on CBS — the Dawson’s Creek alum is staying in business with the network via a series-regular role on CSI: Cyber, TVLine has learned.

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to 50+ New Shows

He will play FBI Agent Elijah Mundo, an expert in battlefield forensics recruited by Special Agent Avery Ryan (Patricia Arquette). Mundo is a savant when it comes to weaponry, vehicles, and bombs. A self-proclaimed action junkie, Agent Mundo will often put himself at risk to seek permanent justice while Ryan will level his diehard behavior with her expertise in psychology.

Born of an April episode of CSI proper and inspired by the work of real-life Cyber Psychologist Mary Aiken, CSI: Cyber centers on the FBI’s Cyber Crime Division, which targets illegal activities that start in the mind, live online, and play out in the real world.

RELATED Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

The cast also includes Community‘s Charley Koontz as Agent Daniel Grummitz and recent addition Peter MacNicol (Numb3rs) as Avery’s supervisor, Assistant Director Stavros Sifter.

CBS is eyeing a midseason launch for the CSI spin-off.

1. Joey Padron says:

Glad James is gonna be back on TV again. Wish his show Friends With Better Lives would have got pickup by another network.

2. Jenna says:

I’m looking forward to this, but really wish they would drop the ‘CSI’ tag. That only hurts it, IMO, as CSI is in decline. I get why they’re doing it, but this show seems to have little to do with actual crime SCENE investigation. Bogus promotion. But the cast is shaping up nicely.

3. Behrooz says:

Smart move on CBS’ part. They can sell advertising space on his forehead.

4. Dave says:

I guesse the show is going to be canceled, if james is involved that’s the result

• JEst says:

If we’re making guesses, I guess that you have ignored examples like Alex O’loughlin, who had two failures in a row then succeeded with Five-O, or the other examples of similar situations where people have failure after failure and then success. Of course there are also examples of where there is nothing but failure, but it is too early to assume anything right now.

• Marco says:

He was in Dawson’s Creek and the show lasted six seasons.

5. Ali Sr says:

Mr.Ausiello and Mr. Mitovich – always keep an eye on your articles – you guys are amazing.
    Bones, Castle, Major Crimes, NCIS, The Mentalist, Arrow…etc., etc..
    Thank you for your updates – eagerly await the information you give us. Continued success – You rock 😊👍

6. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I don’t care what show your put him on or what you call him, he’s always going to be Dawson to me. So, when I watch this, I’ll just be thinking, “When did Dawson become a bomb expert?”

7. JeffDJ says:

With the cast shaping up nicely, I will at least give the first episode of this series a look, but overall it doesn’t really interest me that much (nor did the backdoor pilot on CSI, for that matter).

8. christopher bee says:

Once again the Mr. Van der Beek comes on your face and i Love that guy. Good Luck James and Godspeed; it can´t be that this format will sucked in the whirlwind of company men decision cluster-f,,, d once again. Yeah Freewheelin James and the art of acting.

ps. i´ve had some xperience with method acting, so lets feel the chair once more…

9. I hope that CSI: Cyber will get a second season. I know that the show got the right actor.

10. paula says:

I’ll be watching. I never watched Dawson’s Creek; I became a fan when he did that funny video with Ke$ha. I love that video :)

11. Tran says:

There’s absolutely no way I’m NOT going to watch CSI: Cyber because of JVDB.

12. Mandie says:

Well, well, well. Patricia Arquette, Peter MacNicol, and now James Van Der Beek [I'm assuming there are others involved as well]. What a motley crew this show is shaping up to be! I’m definitely interested now [but I already was when it was announced that MacNicol was going to be a series regular].

13. Ram510 says:

This is terrible. Beek should be in comedy not some tired, boring CSI procedural that’s been done over too many time for the millionth spinoff

14. Kathy A says:

I wonder which song by The Who they’ll choose to play over the credits.

15. Pat says:

I am happy to hear, that James Van Derrick Beek was picked up by CSI:Cyber. Looking forward to seeing this new show.

16. dman6015 says:

Great. Expect an early cancellation. Van Der Beek is the modern day version of Ted McGinley. He’s right up there with Christian Slater and Jerry O’Connell.

17. JRStewart says:

I don’t watch CSI, but between casting James Van Der Beek and Peter MacNicol – I think I’m in. Just wish I was a bigger Patrica Arquette fan.

18. Iakovos says:

I would have preferred to see James on the NCIS spinoff set in New Orleans. Bakula and the Beek! There’s a watchable team, for sure.

19. D says:

I have never watched or wanted to watch any of the csi shows but now I will check the one off in honor of Dawson Creek and the Beek.

20. I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the blogger lovers however this piece of writing is truly a good piece of writing,
    keep it up.