NCIS Scoop: Mixology Brit Is Young Ducky — What Secret Will He Spill?

NCIS Season 12 Young Ducky Cast

What was Dr. Donald Mallard like as a duckling?

CBS’ NCIS this season will answer that question with an October episode that revisits the good doctor’s sprier days, to be lived out in flashback by Brit Adam Campbell (Mixology), TVLine has learned.

RELATED Spoilers on NCIS Season 12’s Recurring Villain Via Ask Ausiello

“When we saw Adam, all we could think of was a young David McCallum,” NCIS showrunner Gary Glasberg says of the casting. (Indeed! See Exhibits A and B.) “We can’t wait to introduce him as young Ducky and watch what he brings to this unusual role.”

Thus far, this much is known about the episode: The flashbacks will shed light on Ducky’s past relationships as well as reveal… why he always wears bow ties.

RELATED NCIS Alum Cote de Pablo to Star in Dovekeepers Miniseries

The real-life husband of Glee alum/The Millers star Jayma Mays, Campbell’s other previous TV credits include Touch, 2 Broke Girls and Harper’s Island.

NCIS premieres Season 12 on Tuesday, Sept. 23.

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Darlene says:

Well, that is so cool! Very much looking forward to this. Can’t wait to see what David and Britt will bring the episode. Hope they do a behind the scenes for this one on the Season 12 DVD!

2. herman1959 says:

Is this a possible spinoff? If so, I think an origin story sounds much better than yet another CSI.

3. Michelle says:

I loved Adam on Harper’s Island as Cal so i’m looking forward to him bring a young Ducky to life on NCIS.

4. Steven says:

Every time I look at him all I can think of is Date Movie and how awful that movie was.

5. Rick Katze says:

Definitely looking forward to this episode. We’ve gotten lots of hints about Ducky’s past from his conversations usually with Jimmy. Sounds like the story will before he met Gibbs, otherwise they would more actors to portray themselves as younger versions of themselves.

6. frustratedwithbadtvshows says:

So glad to hear that we are finally going to learn why Ducky wears bow ties! Looking forward to this episode!

7. Deann says:

I remember The Man from UNCLE and a young David McCallum and while this guy is nice looking, he cannot touch Ilya Kuryakin’s shoe lace!

8. meo3 says:

What?! They didn’t bring in Armee Hammer for this? :)

9. TinLV says:

David McCallum as a young man was one of the hottest, best looking actors on TV .. or anywhere else…. and if they were casting a mature Ilya Kuryakin as a young man, this guy would not do at all…… But the character DM plays now is very different than the young dashing spy..and this casting might work as a young Ducky..I’ll reserve judgement. .

• Janet says:

I agree. The real young David McCallum was a heartthrob and I still have his poster from when I was a teen. The show creators should have had a female casting director pick someone a lot cuter for the Young Ducky role. Oh well, I am still looking forward to the episode.

10. You mean other than the fact that bow-ties are cool?

11. Julie Merritt says:

Looking forward,will be interesting.

12. eartha williams says:

Why not show that ducky has a grow son and or daughter via flash back that we find out about when they co
    me to find and seek a relationship with ducky (flashbacks when was younger Man from Uncle)

13. Eda Wilson says:

Oh, for Pete’s sake! EVERYBODY knows young Ducky must be played by Illya Kuriakin!

14. John Mckenzie says:

This all reminds me of the episode in the first season where Kate asks Gibbs what Ducky looked like when he was younger.

Gibbs replied: “illya Kuryakin”.

15. Jeff Merrell says:

The answer to what Ducky look like when he was a duckling was answered by Jethro in answer to a question by Kate as to what Ducky looked like when he was young. The answer Ilya Kuriakin (sp?). One of my favorite NCIS lines of all time.

16. Mary McAllister says:

Why do DiNozzo do Tim like he do I know that his part,but I feel bad for Tim,but I love the show it is one of my favor. I hate so bad that Ziva left the show she was good I am going to miss her.

17. While I agree that introducing the ” young Ducky” is a great idea, the actor pictured as cast to portray “the young Ducky” does NOT bear enough facial resemblance to David McCollum to be convincing as ANY relation whatsoever to “Ducky”. I can’t wait to see how you’re going to pull THIS one off convincingly !!I am a devoted fan, and have also watched David McCollum since the series “The Man from Uncle” in the 1960’s !!

18. Ed Pruger says:

What happened to the newer blond on NCIS I would not miss her if she were to leave the series. I do not think she is a good fit