Exclusive

Vince Vaughn Circling True Detective Season 2 Lead Role

Vince Vaughn True Detective Season 2

The True Detective Season 2 rumor mill has churned out another name: Vince Vaughn.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Swingers actor is in preliminary talks to play one of the four leads in the HBO drama’s upcoming second season.

RELATED TCA Awards 2014: Good Wife, OITNB, True Detective, Veep Among Winners

In mid-July, word spread that Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch are reportedly in serious discussions for two of the season’s lead roles, while series creator Nic Pizzolatto has said that the new season will be set in California and feature “four central roles.”

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour last month, HBO president Michael Lombardo said a Season 2 casting announcement was imminent, adding, “[T]he two scripts we have are…more exciting than the first season.”

1. Jon says:

I will seriously not watch the new season… That is how far my hate for Vince Vaughn goes.

2. Ashley says:

The Vaughn-aissance is coming…

3. Ray says:

Not a good match

4. DL says:

Interesting choice. Why is it that almost all the rumored casting has been for men, though? Thought there was supposed to be at least one female lead. I’m sure the writing is fantastic, but I do hope it’s not all about male detectives again.

• HH says:

^Very good point. I remember reading that they would have female detectives for this season. Last season was superb but all of the women were either prostitutes or spurned wives. I’m tired of HBO’s one-note portrayal of women.

5. wtf says:

ugh wtf i wont watch if hes in it

6. Kris says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

7. J says:

I’m over Vince Vaughn. I’ll skip next season if he’s cast.

8. HAP says:

For those folks who seem to have already made up their mind that they won’t watch if Vaughn is cast really ought to wait to see who makes up the rest of the cast. Personally, I would probably not watch, if he was going solo, or was the principal lead. But since other interesting names have been floated, and no female has been named yet, I’m taking a wait and see on it.

That, plus the president of HBO claims the two scripts he’s seen are “more exciting than the first season.” That’s saying alot.

• Jax says:

Of course he’s going to say the scripts are fantastic. He’s promoting the show. It’s not like he’s going to come out and say “eh, I’ve seen better.”

• Shirley Lysse says:

I agree, as long as he is not solo….it should still be good.

• KevyB says:

I disagree. Looking at his smug face as anything other than a corpse will ruin the entire series for me. He sucks THAT bad!

9. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

So have they ditched the whole female lead season for season 2? I am really disappointed. I was really looking forward to seeing an interesting mix of named female actress in lead roles. It was even suggested that several of the leads would be POC. Now all the names have been has-been white dudes!

10. Tom says:

He might surprise you.

11. After crap like The Dilemma was kind of hoping he was done.

12. Betz Kimble says:

Seriously? After having the bar set very high in the first season with Woody & Matthew, seems like you will be knocking it down several notches. V V is the male counterpart to Jennifer Anniston. Absolutely over rated and zero versatility. With all the talented actors in SAG, that’s the best you can do? Hell, my friend James I Clifford, would nail that part better than Vaughn-

13. CKG says:

Oh good, another white dude. Sigh.

14. Jana says:

Well, that will be one less show for me to find time for. If he’s cast, I won’t watch it, because I can’t stand him. Seriously. Can’t stand him.

15. Zach says:

Vince Vaughn is a really good actor, he just hasn’t had good material in ages. I think this could turn out really well.

16. Polly says:

No. Just no.

17. steven says:

This is for anyone who likes this show,but doesn’t like Vince Vaughn. If you don’t watch the show just because he’s on it, the show’s ratings will drop and you will lose this show forver, so think hard before you decide not to watch it.

• Metaphid says:

So, if I lose a show that casts talentless actors, what, exactly, does that cost me?

• Anne says:

Yea I gotta say, this does not make much sense to me. It’s not as if True Detective is such a storied institution that we should suffer through bad casting one year just to keep it going. That makes no sense. However, I don’t think this is bad casting, so I’ll be watching.

18. Dan Potvin says:

OH HELL NO!!
    Most annoying and non talented actor ever, I loved the first TD but will NOT watch anything with him in it

19. Count me out watching. I don’t find Vince Vaughn a serious actor to carry a show like True Detective.

20. Pati says:

Ohh god noooo I was so ecxited when I heard Collin Farell, this is not good I hope it’s not true

21. Alienate says:

I hope the producers read this forum. I vote a big NO for VV. Swarmy does not do it for me.
    PS.. I loved the first season. I will watch Episode 1. If he turns me off… good-bye.

22. Man the hate is strong in this comment section. I don’t mind him. I think he could play a serious part alright.

23. Shirley Lysse says:

I loved the first season, I will for sure check out the second season.

24. guest says:

He did a good job in Return to Paradise…but then he went down the tubes after the Psycho remake

25. Robert says:

The VV hate in this comments section is so overwhelming, I felt compelled to comment. I know it may seem like a long time ago at this point, but after Swingers, he starred almost exclusively in dramatic roles for a good seven-year stretch up until “Old School”. He even gave interviews around that time (2003) saying how some audiences had trouble buying him in a comedic role because he’d been typecast with all these dramas. My, how the tables have clearly turned! :)

26. Cas says:

Yeah it’s been a while since he has had a good movie but I loved Wedding Crashers. And I would never say an actor can’t be serious until I see them in the role, after all McConnaghey did a good job with both types. Besides, he won’t be the only actor in the show.

27. scribe says:

To the haters, the guy was a dramatic actor before the dumb comedies and he was good. This might be him trying to return to form. Give him a chance before deciding he’s going to be crap.

28. Coal says:

I see some people aren’t happy with the potential addition of Vaughan, I guess this is based on his past work right ? It makes me wonder what the excitement about Colin Ferrell was based on ?

• Jean says:

Yes, this . . . You’re unhappy with Vince Vaughn, but aren’t complaining about Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch? Aside from the silly comedies (though some were good), VV is a really good dramatic actor. He just hasn’t done it in a while. After naming CF and TK, I was out, but I will give this a chance.

29. Jane says:

To all of those saying but he use to do dramatic roles, don’t just judge him on his crappy comedy parts. Well he was crappy in the dramatic roles as well. Swingers was a good movie but he wasn’t good in it. The Psycho remake, bad. The Jurassic Park movie, bad. Return to Paradise, bad. I have never seen a movie that Vince Vaughn did not play an annoying, obnoxious jerk. He is a bad actor. Please don’t ruin this potentially great franchise with putting him in even the most minor of roles.

30. Jenny says:

How many people thought Bryan Cranston or Sally Field were great actors before they were given a chance to shine in dramatic roles? Maybe people should give Vince Vaughn a chance before writing him off.

31. sarah j says:

Seriously? I do not think I will watch if he is on. I do not see him pulling off a serious role.

32. nancy moore says:

what about eric roberts for one of the roles…

33. Amy says:

For anyone upset here about Vince Vaughn and how annoying he’s been in all his dramatic roles, you should check out A Cool, Dry Place from 1998 before he hit it big. It is a fantastic little movie and he’s amazing in it. There is no obnoxious jerk to be found in this character.

• Marc says:

I love that movie. I think that VV has the ability to play a serious character, but his history is working against him, but I think I’ll wait before passing judgment.

34. I hope this isn’t true. I can’t stand Vince Vaughn. He can’t act worth a damn. Let him stick with the silly buddy movies. Please.

35. DmC says:

Please say it’s not so. He’s a comedic actor, and a poor one at that, not an intense dramatic actor. Make rhat a pass on Vince HBO.

• RichieS says:

Perhaps as a tie-in to S1 VV’s role will be a mentally challenged relation of McConaghy’s. That would then explain his rambling adlibs. They could even add a little CG drool. Or they could just replace him and add Scott Porter to team once again with Taylor Kitsch.

36. KevyB says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Amy says:

More exciting I hope still border line realistic, this is where most shows sale out and do not keep some form of intigerty, please do not fail,

38. daneeghen says:

Great casting! I can’t help but think that much of the hatred against both stems from neither of them being neutered new-age feminized types.