Exclusive

Janeane Garofalo Exits Bravo's Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce

Girlfriends Guide

Janeane Garofalo and Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce are consciously uncoupling.

The actress-comedienne is exiting Bravo’s first-ever scripted drama, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED Girlfriends’ Guide Casting Scoop: Look Who’s Playing Lisa Edelstein’s TV Mom

The series, based on Vicki Iovine’s best-selling series and developed by Buffy the Vampire Slayer‘s Marti Noxon, follows Abby (House‘s Lisa Edelstein), a self-help book author in Los Angeles who hides the fact that she’s separated from her husband. Garofalo co-starred as Lyla, Abby’s hard-nosed entertainment lawyer and one of her closest friends.

A source close to the show says Garofalo will continue shooting through October and her departure is part of the natural evolution of the character (not to mention a key plot point).

I’m told a new actress is being sought to fill the Lyla void.

Check out the Girlfriends‘ trailer below. The series premieres Tuesday, Dec. 2.

1. BlueNote says:

A show without Janeane Garofalo is a better show.

2. So this is actually a plot spoiler for the show and not a news report?

3. Gina says:

My guess is things didn’t mesh well with Marti Noxon. Marti is a good writer but she show-hopped a number of times because she couldn’t get along with people. JG either has some kind of personal issues going on or she just is not happy with things there. This does not bode well for the show which hasn’t even aired yet. A sign of things to come?

4. Valerai says:

As long as Lisa Edelstein remains in the cast, i´ll be watching. Anyway it´s sad to see Janeane go. She is a fantastic actress.

5. Jill says:

Her role since the beginning was BFF and important part of the cast now they want us to believe this was planned all along. Lying to fans not a way to start this show.

6. EL says:

I’ve watched NBCU’s ‘unified’ TCAs online and felt really uneasy during GGTD red carpet interviews. JG tried to hog all the attention and speak for everyone. Lisa Edelstein managed to insert a few words, while Beau Garrett looked completely resigned. Not a good sign for an ensemble show. I love JG though and wish her a great project on her own.

7. Jerry says:

Not a good way to start a new show. Who will be next?

8. “Girlfriends’ Guide Casting Scoop: Look Who’s Playing Lisa Edelstein’s TV Mom” – sorry, but that’s a mistake. Bernadette plays the mother of the Lyla, the character of Janeane.

9. Monica says:

Nice try that this was planned but this isn’t a show spoiler. It’s annoying that they would lie.

10. R says:

I saw this coming a mile off. There were far too many egos working on this show, so something was bound to give. Please don’t expect us to believe this was part of the plan all along.

I doubt this will be the last of the problems. Marti Noxon has taken on a ton of other projects, and she’s not exactly known for sticking with a show. It’s a shame. It had potential.

• Laura says:

By all means do tell us which egos. I only see Marti’s so far. Edelstein is known to be a supportive team player and everyone who’s been working with her have nothing but praise to report even when not asked.

• Valerai says:

I think she means Marti and Janeane. Both well known for their strong character and big egos and for not sticking around in the moment things don´t go their exact way.

• Grace says:

I do not think R means Lisa E. either. Lisa has always a supporting team player and easy to get along with, just ask Hugh Laurie and everyone who worked with her on House.

11. LeasaD says:

R makes a point. On MN a lot of people wonder how MN can be a showrunner for more than one show. How can u focus on character development and strong story if spread thin. She’s a good writer, but it could back fire. Would be a shame 2 see that happen especially if even one of these shows turns out to be good. Another telling thing on article is a show especially a new one would never intentionally spoil “key plot point”. LD

• R says:

I hate to say it, because Lisa Edelstein was long overdue her own show, but this has disaster written all over it.

Again, I think there might be a revolving door as far as the cast goes.

• herman1959 says:

I agree, I don’t see this one lasting either. Edelstein would do better in a straight drama.

• R says:

I can see Bravo being part of the problem too with this being new territory for them. They’ll want a scripted version of ‘Real Housewives’ in keeping with their brand, which to be honest fills me with dread.

• Dio says:

Nope. I watched the pilot a few months ago. I expected crap from Bravo and i left pleasantly surprised. Lisa Edelstein is gold. All the cast is really good. Marti Noxon has “problem” written all over her face but she did a fantastic job with the script and the casting.

• Katrina says:

I don’t think Noxon or Edelstein will let that happen. If it turned trash I think they would both be gone. Lisa Edelstein is a class act.

• Mark says:

Dlo: Lisa Edelstein is gold so far it seems her name is carrying it. That and Marti Noxons writing. So far its a good supporting cast though Janeane’s sudden exit is not a good start. If thhis show doesnt make it will be because of the leadership behind scenes not because of the actors.

12. david says:

I have watched the pilot and is totally brilliant. It’s sad todo see Garofalo go because her character adds a lot. Said that, it’s Edelstein the one who carries the whole show con her shoulders so they should be fine just adding another strong character todo replace Lyla.

13. JoesPlace says:

Sadly R, I think you might be right.

14. SetDesignerKristin says:

Lisa Edelstein is a terrific actress but one person cannot carry like this without a strong ensemble of supporting players.

15. lisa says:

Not at all surprised Garofolo has gone. She’s an acquired taste and notoriously hard to work with. I doubt she’ll be the last problem they have though. Marti Noxon, famed for unapologetically ruining Buffy, is at the helm here and she never lasts more than two minutes on anything she works on. I give this show two seasons at the absolute most.

• Amanda says:

Everything you said lisa plus LE will be the number 1 draw to the show. She’s a good person and talented actress. Her work on House was great and people who worked with her there enjoyed it. I hope they hold this together.

16. arreatozipitapo says:

Janeane is weird as f****. The woman is a feminazi who has rejected important roles just because sex scenes were involved. She probably disliked a few things in the script and decided to walk away. I´ve heard she is a nightmare to work with so the others are probably ok with her decision.

About Marti Noxon, it´s true that she has left a few shows but this is her creation and she is totally crazy about it. She is a great talent and is totally smitten with her leading lady so unless Bravo starts pushing her to get things their way, i don´t see her leaving this project any time soon.

• Allen says:

Being “smitten” with one’s leading lady has nothing to do with anything. Some people are just hard to work with. Marti is one, Jeanene is the other.

17. Luísa says:

Good for her. Janeane did it right!
    this show is all about sex, sounds boring.
    GG2D is a poorly made copy of Sex and city.