Parenthood Scoop: Breaking Bad's Betsy Brandt Returning as Hank's Ex

Betsy Brandt Parenthood

Parenthood is introducing bringing back Hank’s ex!

Breaking Bad‘s Betsy Brandt is returning for the NBC drama’s sixth and final season as Hank’s estranged wife, Sandy, and mother to Ruby, sources confirm to TVLine.

VIDEO Is Jason Ritter Returning to Parenthood?

Brandt, whose post-Bad in credits include NBC’s Michael J. Fox Show and Showtime’s Masters of Sex, is set to appear on a recurring basis beginning with the Sept. 25 opener.

Last month at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour, Parenthood creator Jason Katims revealed that the show’s farewell run will uncork a “larger story that has a huge effect on everybody.” Katims teased that the storyline will present “a huge challenge for this family, the kind we haven’t seen before.”

1. BH says:

Ummm, didn’t she already appear as Hank’s ex-wife in the Season 4 episode “Trouble in Candyland”?

2. Tangerine Green says:

With only 13 episodes left, I wish they would spend all of their time focusing on the Bravermans. I never liked Hank or he and Sara together. His presence is just a distraction from the core of the show.

3. Ralph says:

Agreed. Hank needs to go. Want Sarah and Mark to be endgame!

4. webly3 says:

I want Hank’s storyline to be wrapped up neatly. I wasn’t really for Hank until some of the events last season. After learning Hank probably has Aspergers, I really felt for the guy and how he’s really trying at this relationship with Sarah. If Sarah does not choose Hank, can we please just get closure on her choice? It’s been six seasons of love problems for her.

5. Lori Usé says:

personally I’m glad Sarah has some competition.maybe she’ll wise up and realize what a huge mistake by choosing Hank over Mark.Jason Ritter and Lauren Graham oozed chemistry onscreen Lauren and Ray not so much JMO

6. Mike R. says:

I don’t know where to look for this, but is Haddie going to be back in some capacity?

7. MandaJ says:

I actually quite like the Hank character. I do recognize the insane chemistry that Sarah and Mark have but still, when she was with Mark, she was still a bit of a lost soul, unsure of her future. Since Hank came into the picture, Sarah has a career she loves and has Hank to thank for that. Hank seems to ground Sarah. And I like how he has never been intimidated by any of the Bravermans. Mark always seemed like he was nervous around the whole lot of them. Hank is never like that. Just the opposite, he is willing to be there for Max and Amber, which is pretty decent of him. I think Sarah is right to give him a chance.

• DL says:

I’m glad there’s someone else who’s had the same response to the whole Mark vs. Hank debate that I’ve had. Yes, Mark has a greater natural magnetism, but I never felt like the relationship between him and Sarah was founded on anything other than that strong attraction between the two of them. Always seemed to me they were in such different places in their lives, and when it actually came down to it, it would never work. He was also, as a character, just a little too perfect for my taste. Handsome, smart, encouraging, stand-up guy, the quintessential Mr. Right, but as Parenthood is such a true-to-life show, that rang false for me. There needs to be a little bit of wrong in characters as well.

I’ve really enjoyed seeing Hank grow over the past couple seasons. Watching him come to terms with Aspergers has been a moving journey, and I love, love his relationship with Max!

Now, all that said, I actually don’t love Hank and Sarah as a couple either. Honestly, my favorite love interest for Sarah, short-lived as he was, was Carl. Bring that guy back! He also may have been a little too perfect, but he also felt more real to me, embarrassed by his own success and high stature, always downplaying it, and covering his feelings with his sharp wit. I wish Sarah would end up with him, much as I know that won’t happen.

• MandaJ says:

I almost forgot about Carl, you’re spot on. He was pretty great for Sarah. In the end though, I truely want Sarah happy with someone to love. I hope that this final season brings an end to all the up down Hank vs Mark madness. Put her in a stable relationship and I’ll be satisfied.

8. JBC says:

I really liked Ray Romano’s character Hank this past season. It was great how the show explored the Aspergers storyline and I enjoyed the interaction he had with Max and the renewed friendship/relationship he had with Sarah. I am sure Parenthood will do a great last season. They touch on many different topics and the strength of the family sticking together through the various ups and downs is heartwarming. Good Show. Great Cast! I also love Betsy Brandt. Glad to see her back.

9. Mara says:

I loved Carl – he really was great with Sara and I think he had more to do with encouraging Sara to pursue her goals than Hank. Sara and Carl had major chemistry too. I don’t want to watch her and Hank for these last episodes.

10. Derek says:

Happy about this, hope we see more of her this time. Betsy Brandt is great

11. LOIS says:

So sad this show is coming to an end. Wondering why??

12. jomo says:

what is it with her and the name Hank?

13. Holly2931 says:

I’m in the minority, I’m sure, but I hope Sarah and Hank end up together. She has grown the most professionally with him and has made the most difficult romantic decisions in his favor. I love watching Lauren and Ray together onscreen – I think they are hilarious. Does she have the “magnetism” she did with someone almost twenty years her junior? No. But, I think this couple is more suited for the long haul. She finally managed to focus on a career for longer than a season, and Hank, even while discovering himself, has made an effort to help and connect with her family. That is what Sarah really needs!