Arrow Casts Felicity's Mother — For Real, or For Flashback?

Arrow Season 3 Felicity's Mother

NYPD Blue vet Charlotte Ross has collared a key role on The CW’s Arrow — as Felicity Smoak’s mother.

RELATED Arrow Casts Wildcat — Will He Train Laurel to Become the New Canary?

According to TVGuide.com, Ross will appear in a November episode, though it’s unclear if she will appear in the current timeline or via flashbacks.

As revealed at the San Diego Comic-Con last weekend, the fifth episode of Season 3, titled “Oracle,” will shed light on Felicity’s unexplored past, including her time at MIT. With Arrow returning Oct. 8, that places the flashback episode at the start of November sweeps.

RELATED Arrow Season 3 Scoop on Felicity’s New Beau

As hinted in Season 2’s “City of Blood,” Felicity — abandoned by her father at a young age — has measured regard for her mom. “If I had accepted things, I would be a cocktail waitress in Vegas like my mother and I never would have gone to college and I never would have moved a thousand miles away to work at Queen Consolidated,” she shared.

With Ross’ casting, viewers stand to gain more insight into the complicated mother/daughter dynamic. “We have had a backstory for [Felicity] for over a year now that we keep saying, ‘This is the episode where we’re going to do it,’ and we don’t,” exec producer Marc Guggenheim told TVLine. “But this is the year we’re going to do it.

VIDEO Extended Arrow Trailer Reveals Season 3’s Big Bad — Cast the Role!

Ross’ other previous TV credits include Hit the Floor, Nashville, Glee and Days of Our Lives (as Eve Donovan, who is now played by Kassie DePaiva).

VIDEO: Arrow‘s John Barrowman Promises ‘The Best of Brutal Times’ for Thea

1. Sparky says:

Impressive group of guest actors joining this season!!!

2. hello says:

I really hope they make Felicity Robert Queen’s daughter

• Bruce_F says:

*crickets* … Um, no. Just no.

• wonderwall says:

I think the show has hit its quota on “surprise dads”. It would be beyond laughable if that happened. Laughable not in a ‘haha olicity shippers can suck it’ kind of way (which is quite childish in itself. Shipper bashers are just as bad as the extreme shippers), but in a ‘this has got to be the worst storyline in the history of the show’ kind of way.

• aunni says:

if an oliciter hate laurel than they r obnoxious bt if a l/o shipper hate olicity n if i point it out then they r victims. they won’t even admit themselves as shipper bt they hate felicity n olicity. i will happily be an honest obnoxious oliciter than a liar hide behind blaming game

• Lauren says:

Careful honey, your agenda is showing….

• Sam says:

I know it might seem like it with Oliver’s love life sometimes but Arrow is not a soap opera. Please.

• Linda P says:

Well, yes it is too a soap opera. It has plenty of soap opera themes and tropes.

• Ray says:

That logic is flawed. Concealed paternity and love triangles are not exclusive domain of soap operas; the occur in many mediums (though much less so in real life).

• Sil says:

But, the big guy at CW did say in an interview that Rousch who played superman was going to be The Atom, and who would become part of a love triangle with Ollie and Felicity.

• oh, I’m sorry… Isn’t comic books men’s version of soap operas?

• Would you prefer the term ‘superhero melodrama’? Because that’s pretty much what it is: a silly drama where there’s also quite a bit of ass being kicked. It’s like how pro wrestling is a soap opera (runs constantly and basically never takes breaks) but with bodyslams.

• Tony says:

Sam (and Ray) protests too much … accept it guys: you are watching a continuing drama, which all soap operas are. :))

• mary says:

Ehhhhh…..nope, better not :)

• Ashley says:

There is zero chance of that happening. Less than zero. If you watched Season 2, you will know why.

• kath says:

In that case, may I recommend Game of Thrones?

• Briggs says:

Sadistic, much? Comic books may be their own kind of soap opera, but prime time TV requires better writing. I know there were people down on Laurel in the Wildcat commentary, but do you really have to stoop to that level? Or lower?

• Briggs says:

Besides which, he would need have been around long enough for her to be hurt by his departure, and that kind of time would be hard to explain to Moira.

3. Moment says:

Personally I can see her appearing in flashbacks and in present day Starling City. They just need a reason for her to be there. Or they could go along the route of something happened to her mom and Felicity rushes to her side.

4. Gilded Rose says:

Can’t wait for this! Finally we learn more about Felicity Smoak. Fleshing out her character is definitely well deserved and I can’t wait to see what her secret origins are. I hope we actually get to see her mom in flashback and present day. I want to see what the mom thinks of Felicity in, her reaction to Oliver and the whole developing Oliver/Felicity relationship. I get the feeling that would be very entertaining.

5. 241214 says:

I love good news!!! So happy we’re finally getting Felicity’s backstory and some flashbacks about herself. Looking forward to this and very excited to meet her mom!!

6. Iloveyoursoul says:

So looking forward to this. Apart from Oliver, Felicity’s is my favourite character on the show.

7. Ashley says:

I love Felicity and I know she is a fan favorite, so it’s crazy that we know so little about her. I can’t wait to see how her mother will fit into the story and see a glance into Felicity’s past. She is such a bright and happy character, but I think there may be more than anyone expects.

I hope the above poster was just kidding about Robert Queen. I know this is CW, but we have already had too much “silly” drama on this show. I feel like this season we will be getting away from that and ironing out a really epic storyline of different types of heroes.

8. Kate says:

It’s really happening! I’m extremely happy to hear of this casting news. I loved Charlotte Ross in “NYPD Blue” and I think she’ll be awesome as Felicity’s mama. I’m so glad the show is finally exploring Felicity’s story because she is definitely one of my favorite characters on “Arrow.” Very excited about everything I’ve heard of the coming season so far: Felicity’s family and her past at MIT (hmm, I wonder if we’ll see the stalker lacrosse player *wink), the development of her relationship with Oliver. More interactions with Diggle and Quentin and I’ll be a happy camper :) Thanks for the story, Matt!

• Ray says:

As long as there’s no more Diggle/Lilah. Diggle hasn’t had any real chemistry with any of his on screen love interests. Perhaps he’s barking up the wrong tree?

9. Sam says:

I’m so happy about this! I’m really looking forward to Felicity’s backstory. EBR is so fantastic that she’s made me really love her character without needing to know more about her history. That’s impressive. So fleshing out her backstory is just a bonus to me. I can’t wait!

10. sals says:

So excited about this and seeing more of felicity’s background.

11. Keira says:

I love this!! It’s so exciting that they’re finally diving into Felicity’s past – that’s a well of untapped treasure. Felicity truly deserves a really fleshed out and intricate past – and I can’t wait to see Emily Bett absolutely kill it! Can’t wait to see Charlotte in this role – awesome!

12. GhostWolf says:

Gah, really feeling old here. Remember Charlotte Ross playing the conniving teenager Eve on Days decades ago. Looking forward to seeing her on Arrow.

13. So excited to learn more about Felicity’s backstory!

14. Meg says:

The way Felicity said “She is… well she’s my mother.” *eye roll* in Heir to the Demon episode season 2, makes me think she is a real piece of work. What that entails exactly I don’t know. I would imagine she is the polar opposite of Felicity which could be fun especially in present day. Very excited to see how this all turns out.

15. Ashley says:

I’ve very excited to meet Felicity’s mother. More backstory on Felicity’s character (than the little she’s told Oliver) has been a long time coming.

16. Jane says:

#mamasmoak is coming to town! I can’t wait for felicity’s backstory

17. Nate says:

Step 1 complete. What else ya got

18. Joey Padron says:

Glad one of Felicity’s parents will be on show and get to know more about her past.

19. kath says:

Finally — I was beginning to think the Felicity back story scenes were a mirage.

Good casting. She seems like she can really do the “my mom is .. my mom” Vegas cocktail waitress. If it’s in the present, will she hit on Oliver?

20. Claire says:

This news made my day! We finally get to meet Felicity’s mother — really looking forward to learning more about the “blonde IT girl”.
    The news for this show has been outstanding thus far what with Ray Palmer coming to town to further along Oliver’s story —business/vigilante/Olicity— the return of Malcolm and Thea (who’s story already has me intrigued), Roy and his journey and the return of Sara! Now we just need mama Smoak to hit on Quentin Lance!

• Briggs says:

Ooooh. The awkward moment when Laurel and Felicity have to watch.
      “Is she… flirting with my dad?”
      “And here I thought I was done apologizing for her behavior…”

21. aunni says:

if im not wrong oracal will be 50th episode of arrow, didn’t last yr SA said they had some sort of plan for this episode?
    Felicity’s mom is a piece of work for sure… im excited.

22. Ms Thing says:

Barbara Gordon IS the Oracle. The show’s creators need to stop making this Felicity character something which she is not!

• Tess says:

What if it turns out her mother is Barbara Gordon? For that matter, her real father could be Bruce Wayne…
      Sara Lance wasn’t supposed to be Black Canary either… the show’s allowed to take some liberties; nothing says they must adhere to the comics verbatim. Why can’t people accept that?

• wonderwall says:

It’s not YOUR decision on who Felicity is or isn’t. You may have one interpretation of her, but it’s YOUR opinion and not law. The showrunners can do what they want as long as DC is okay with it. And if DC is okay with it, IDK why anyone else would have a problem with it…

• Briggs says:

Barbara might not even exist, if we go by Gotham’s timeline. Seriously. Not even.
      My personal theory (which would be so cool) Is that Oracle is like the Dread Pirate Roberts from Princess Bride. Passed down from person to person. She could literally be anyone.
      Felicity has the skills. She’s very intelligent. If you bring up the fact that she’s been hacked, so was Barbara. True, it was by Brainiac, but I don’t think they can bring him in any time soon. Way too (literally) out of this world for Arrow.

• Sammy says:

The Oracle thing doesn’t make her Oracle. No way would they do that. It’s just a little easter egg because she’s brilliant at hacking and computers.

23. Cassandra says:

I’m so excited we’re finally getting Felicity’s backstory and getting to meet some of her family! I’ve been waiting ages for this, and I hope it’s as awesome as it should be. They’ve explored almost every other major character, so I hope Felicity gets her due and then some this season, seeing as she’s my favorite character. EBR rocks it every episode, so I’m glad she’s really getting lots of things to play this year.

24. Hodan says:

Yes! This is an amazing news. I have been asking for a Felicity storyline since forever. Can’t wait to meet Mama Smoak.

25. Joy1755 says:

Can’t wait to see mama smoak onscreen:)

26. Matt says:

While Charlotte Ross looks right to play the part of Felicity’s mom I wish Gail O’Grady was cast instead.

27. Arsenal says:

I’m not really that excited about this simply because I have a feeling it’ll be the same tired ‘My mother embarrasses me’ angle that is so popular in television. Hopefully, I’m wrong. It is good that Felicity is getting some depth so people can have a better reason to like or dislike the character. Outside of being the comic relief, she’s rather paper-thin.

• Briggs says:

…you mean being the IT person for Team Arrow? Connection to Lance (through seasons 1 and 2, I imagine that will change with Laurel now helping out)? Acting as Oliver’s sanity when he misplaces his? Good friend to Diggle? You mean that kind of depth that has *nothing* to do with being the so-called ‘comic relief’?

• Arsenal says:

I don’t see that as depth; those are just things she does and has nothing to do with character development, which might be better than the word ‘depth’. Other people (including die-hard Felicity fans) have said as much, and that’s why they want a backstory. Her lack of development is well hidden behind everything you mentioned. But it doesn’t really matter, Briggs. I’m not expecting or asking you to agree with me as our opinions on Arrow are very different.

• Briggs says:

I wasn’t going to respond, but then I reconsidered. It’s not merely that I disagree with you, it’s that you appear to be pulling stuff in from other people that may or may not have actually been said. The thing is, I hear more about people saying that we know so little about her, and we’re still sympathetic, than about any lack of depth. I want to know more about her, not because she lacks depth, but because she’s so integeral to the story now that we need more information.
          I’d love more about Sin, too, but I have no idea what they plan to do with her…

28. Briggs says:

Oh, I’m excited. Finally, we meet Felicity’s mom. Might this also lead to us finding out about her dad? That would be great, now that the EPs have confirmed it wasn’t Ivo. We know she dyes her hair. Maybe her mother does, too? It might just be me, but her natural hair color could be a clue to who her father is. It’s a nice thought, anyway.
    And maybe finding out about Felicity’s dad will get Roy talking about his. Maybe a little. Maybe we’ll hear about him from Sin. They need to bring her back, she was awesome! Easily one of the best parts of having Roy on the show.

29. Sarah says:

So excited to see this! Been looking forward to Felicity’s backstory ever since we heard about her dad leaving. Actually even before that in s1 when she said she built computers since she was 7 years old. I’m not bothered about seeing her mom in the present day though. I’m all for keeping it as a flashback. It’s about time because this is so deserved! I’m so happy for Emily Bett. She’s a star!

30. Erica says:

I’m so excited for this season!!

31. Rhonda says:

OMG! BATB season 3 premeire 2015! Is that seriously correct???? That cant be right…….