Emmys

Emmys Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Drama?

dw_emmy_best_sup_actress_7.29.14

Not-so-good news for Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn and Downton Abbey‘s Maggie Smith. Not since Huff‘s Blythe Danner strode up to the podium in 2006 has there been a repeat winner in the Emmy race for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

If Emmy voters continue the trend of spreading the wealth in the category, Gunn and Smith — who respectively snagged Supporting Actress statuettes in 2013 and 2012 — will have to settle for the honor of simply being nominated.

RELATED  Emmys 2014: Who Should Win Lead Actor in a Drama? Take Our Poll!

The Good Wife‘s Christine Baranski, meanwhile, also has herself an Emmy — but as Supporting Actress in a Comedy (back in 1995, for Cybill). This year marks her fifth straight nomination for playing steely, stylish Diane Lockhart, a distinction that ties her for the title of “Most Overdue” alongside Christina Hendricks, who’s also hoping the fifth time will be the charm for her portrayal of Mad Men‘s Joan Harris.

Rounding out the field are Downton Abbey‘s Joanne Froggatt (also nominated in 2012) and Game of Thrones‘ Lena Headey, the only first-timer in the field.

RELATED Emmy Nominations 2014: The 43 Biggest Snubs

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actresses when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every day for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Vlada says:

the most difficult category by the old-fashioned and boring emmys. I love them all. But Lena stole my heart this year.

2. Liam says:

Christine Baranski deserves to win on her laugh alone. I hope she submitted “Outside the Bubble”.

3. taahimar says:

Christine Baranski should win.

4. Mike says:

Headey should have won for Season 2, her time has come and gone. The Downton dames are similarly irrelevant. Hendricks had her weakest season yet. Baranski is divine and the show deserves way more recognition than it received, but Anna Gunn. Just: Anna Gunn.

• The Beach says:

I so agree with everything in this post. Well said !!

• S. says:

You obviously didn’t see Joanne Froggatt’s big storyline if you think she’s irrelevant. She gave an excellent performance. You’re just being a snob about Downton Abbey. Joanne could actually win this..

5. Me says:

Anna Gunn hands down, if we’re going by this list. But really, Bellamy Young. Snub of the year.

• Dudde says:

Anna Gunn and Christine Baranski were both stronger than Bellamy even though this was her best season. Snub of the year is most definitely Tatiana Maslany though.

• rowan77 says:

Yeah, I’m rally miffed that the academy still ignores sic-fi when talented actresses like Tatiana Maslany are being ignored. If they just watch the show for one episode they will be blown away.

• Angie_Overrated says:

No one from Scandal deserves anything but our never-ending scorn. That show is awful, but I do like Bellamy Young. Hopefully she can find a real job after Scandal is over for her.

6. Rose says:

Lena Headey is probably gonna get a lot of buzz next year, just saying

• Joey says:

With the inclusion of that one new character for season five, I’m sure she’ll have a lot of really good material…that is, if D&D don’t stray far from the books.

• Rocco says:

they won’t with Cersei. If they do, there will be a total different outcome in A Feast for Crows. Headey will definitely win that year. But this year, is a toss-up between Anna and Lena

7. Matthew Weber says:

Maggie Smith deserves way more than 4%

• rowan77 says:

Well, as such as I love Maggie Smith – and I really love her – except for one episode where the Dowager Countess was delirious with illness, there was not much for Maggie Smith to do other than her usual, well-placed bon mots. Christine Baranski was amazing this past season. She just crushed it every time.

• Matthew Weber says:

Probably true (I don’t watch the Good Wife, couldn’t get into it), but I still think Maggie Smith should do better than some others on the list, just for being awesome. But then I get that I’m biased.

• S. says:

The crock if it is that Maggie didn’t submit her illness episode, she submitted the finale where she’s around for the Shirley MacLaine stuff but it’s not really about her per se. I get that she’s got some nice stuff with Edith, but when she got sick it was a legit subplot around the Dowager Countess. Why on Earth she didn’t pick that I don’t know.

8. Courtney says:

Definitely Anna Gunn – just looking at that still makes me feel emotional. Absolutely incredible. I’d also love Christine Baranski or Lena. This is a great category. All are great actresses.

9. I voted for Christine Baranski, but hesitated because of Anna Gunn. Would be happy if either of them won.

10. Jessica says:

Hayden P from Nashville should have been nominated but I will vote for Christine because I love her on that show.

11. Ron says:

Having watched all of these shows and admiring each of these women in their respective roles, I can honestly say this is a difficult category–so much talent. However, it’s definitely Anna’s to lose. Anybody who has seen these shows knows that Anna’s performance was truly a notch above the others (and that’s very difficult for me to say given how much amazingness Christine Baranski exudes). But Anna in those final 8 eps. (especially Ozymandias)–I mean, holy freaking crap! She left me speechless and in awe with her performance.

12. Erin says:

Bellamy Young should win. She should’ve nominated.

13. jimmy53 says:

I love Christine Baranski, but The Good Wife is a load of soapy tripe that shouldn’t be in the same breath with actual quality shows like GOT and Breaking Bad. Melodrama has its place, but let’s not pretend it’s high art.

14. Nicole says:

Although all these ladies are fantastic I would like to vote for Katey sagal. No one can compete with Gemma!

• Mike Bee says:

You’re absolutely right, and the continual snubs to Katey Sagal and the show itself are just ridiculous.

15. Musicfan5 says:

I vote for Anna Gunn. Great list of nominees. I wish Melissa McBride was nominated. She tore it up this year as Carol on The Walking Dead. Her work in the episode “The Grove” was a master class in acting. Wow!!

16. Jared says:

Christine Baranski should have won an Emmy years ago for playing Diane Lockhart. Great character especially this season.

17. Tran says:

Still disappointed Monica Potter got snubbed again for her work on Parenthood.

18. lululime says:

Rooting for Christine Baranski, but I really think Joanne Froggatt will take it.

19. Alex Potter says:

Both Bryan Cranston and Anna Gunn where absolutely amazing in Ozymanias. (spolier) I felt so bad for Skyler when she was banging on the window when Walt was kidnapping Holly

20. mindthegap says:

Joanne Froggatt should win it. She has not only one good episode, but carried almost whole season 5 (drama-wise) of Downton Abbey.
    If you can get an Emmy for making bitch-faces and expressing emotions with your eyebrows, than yes Lena Headey should win.
    Christine Baranski is great yes, but just because they snubbed the good wife doesn’t mean she automatically should win for best supp. actress, what logic is this?
    Maggie Smith has the best character in Downton, but what does she ever do for actually drama of the show? Nothing, it’s a drama category, she is not bringing any drama to Downton.
    Anna Gunn is great (but on the same level with Joanne Froggatt acting wise) but i guess Breaking Bad hype is still high so she will win it.

21. Stephen S. says:

It’s definitely between Baranski or Gunn. I chose Baranski since Gunn won last year, but I wouldn’t complain if Gunn won a second time.

22. alex says:

lena was just amazing this season, I’d really like to see her win.

23. A-Mi says:

It’s time for Christine Baranski. She’s well overdue for a win for her outstanding work on The Good Wife.

24. Carolyn says:

Please choose Christine Baranski! She was amazing this season and deserves the Emmy

25. Britta Unfiltered says:

I pray to the Emmy gods that Anna Gunn wins it again, but Joanne Froggatt scares the crap out of me in this category. She could take it. But so could Christine Baranski.

26. Mike Bee says:

Anna Gunn really is the most distinctive actress with the most distinctive role. As always, I’m irritated with Maggie Smith’s RE-nomination. For how many years can humorous little “bits” be considered great acting???

27. Luis says:

I really hope Lena wins,she deserve it