Comic-Con

Will iZombie 'Out-Gore' Walking Dead? Is Veronica Mars Crossover Inevitable?

When the cast and creatives behind The CW’s iZombie dropped by TVLine’s San Diego Comic-Con suite, Michael Ausiello fittingly picked their brains about what the midseason drama has in store.

VIDEO Arrow’s John Barrowman Promises ‘The Best of Brutal Times’ for Thea

See, the DC Comics-inspired drama stars Rose McIver (Once Upon a Time) as Liv, a go-getter medical resident who finds herself among the “formerly alive” after stumbling upon a zombie feeding frenzy. To keep her undead desires at bay, Liv takes a job at the Seattle coroner’s office, where she can munch on the noodles of murder victims — though in turn, she absorbs some of their memories, and thus proves adept at solving cases.

Robert Buckley (One Tree Hill) plays Liv’s fiancé, newcomer Rahul Kohli is the morgue boss wise to her “condition,” Malcolm Goodwin (Breakout Kings) plays a police detective who avails himself of Liv’s “psychic” skills, while David Anders (Alias) is the villain of the piece, Blaine DeBeers. Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright serve as exec producers.

Yet despite the zombie-fied premise (and Liv’s dietary habit), Thomas states, “We’re not going to out-gore The Walking Dead.”

VIDEO Extended Arrow Trailer Reveals Season 3’s Big Bad — Cast the Role!

Also in this video Q&A: Anders raves about his character’s name (and how it could easily pave the way for a visit from Roman DeBeers of Thomas’ Party Down), while Thomas reveals a guest-starring role that is so perfect for one of his Veronica Mars alumni, it’s even named after said actor. Also, of course, you get a Mars movie sequel update!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

1. onelastemperor says:

David Anders is gonna carry this show…….as he always does in every other show……I love David Anders)))

2. Kat says:

David Anders is the main reason I’m even considering watching this show. I love him so much, met him already and he’s just funny and great and awesome and I hope to see him again some day =D He’s the best.

3. Reality says:

So basically Tru Calling meets Dollhouse with a zombie as the lead? I’m in.

4. Nicole says:

I’m already excited for this show because it’s from Rob Thomas but adding Ryan Hansen would be the BEST thing ever! I love him. I’m also excited to see David Anders, he’s always the best when he is a villain. Can’t wait!

5. b says:

I’m just so glad Robert Buckley will be back on my TV for what will hopefully be a long-term role. He’s so beautiful.

6. Ally Oop says:

I hated the trailer for this show. Loved Veronica Mars but I hate the concept for this show. I will steer clear. CW has such disappointing new shows this year. Only Jane the Virgin looks worth watching but it’s likely doomed judging from negative comments about the premise that are all over the internet plus its timeslot. And I will admit Flash looks good but it just doesn’t have that “thing” that makes me want to watch.

7. Krystan says:

I will try and give it a shot. I love Rob’s other work and I know how great he is a writing shows. That is really the only reason for me to watch. I am not much of a zombie fan. The premise reminds me of Pushing Daisies. I loved that show so I will tune in a few times. Anders is so awesome at being the bad guy I will have to watch.

8. Boone says:

A Zombie Veronica Mars with a Power Rangers. I’m so in.

9. Leo says:

I hope this show can fill my Marshmallow-shaped heart. I need my teen (or young adult in this case) detective fix.
    And David Anders. Woot.

10. Brigid says:

I’m watching this show because of Rob Thomas, Zombies and David Anders. The premise sounds cool and the possibility of Ryan Hanson is icing on the cake!

11. Livaine says:

Watching only for David Anders, hopefully his character has some depth to him and he’s not just Sark 2.0.