Under the Dome Recap: Tunnel Vision

Under the Dome Season 2 Episode 5

True story: Last week, a fellow member of Team TVLine — who hadn’t seen Under the Dome in a while — asked me what Julia has been up to since Season 2 began.

Embarrassingly, I had no answer. I believe my exact words were, “Uh… she’s just there… being herself?” And while this exchange did highlight how much I need to work on my social skills, it also made me realize how little Julia has been utilized since she was deemed “the monarch” at the end of Season 1.

That’s why — even though Julia’s monarch status remains more or less a mystery — it was especially nice to see Ms. Shumway leading Chester’s Mill through its latest crisis on Monday’s episode.

RELATED  Extant Gets Later Wednesday Time Slot

FOLLOW THE LEADER | In the wake of Big Jim and Rebecca’s thwarted attempt to infect the town’s water supply, Julia tries to get Chester’s Mill residents on board with a voluntary food sharing program. If everyone shares resources, the town can surely survive for a while longer — and there may or may not be some “Kumbaya” choruses sung in the meantime. But when Julia suggests the food program while arraigning Big Jim and Rebecca in the middle of town, a massive fight breaks out — only to be stopped when newly appointed sheriff Phil shoots and kills Wendell, a civilian who isn’t down with Big Jim trying to poison the whole town.

And if your Spidey sense has been telling you that Phil is up to no good, it doesn’t take long for those suspicions to be confirmed. Later, when a sudden explosion sets the town’s food pantry ablaze, Phil blames the ordeal on Julia, then slips off to a storage unit full of food that he’s been keeping a secret. Norrie’s mom Carolyn — who is back, somehow! — spies the secret pantry, and after Phil tussles with her, Barbie guns him down. (Yes!) Ultimately, the town’s food crisis is solved by Sweetbriar Rose employee Andrea, who inherited tons of food from her late survivalist husband and can comfortably feed Chester’s Mill for months. Cue Julia and Barbie making up — and making out — for the first time in weeks.

BLOODY HELL | In an attempt to learn more about Melanie’s past, Joe and Norrie take her to the dome’s edge so she can place a hand on the surface — to no avail. No visions, no electric shocks, nada. Tensions run high between the three teenagers, and when Joe runs off to comfort a conflicted Melanie, the two share a kiss. (Oh no he diiiidn’t!) Joe later tries to apologize to Norrie, telling her he loves her, but she’s having none of it. Fortunately, the trio do have an interesting hunch: They each take a blood sample, hoping that Melanie’s blood will reveal something, anything, about how and why she came back from the dead.

RELATED  Fall TV First Impression: CBS’ Scorpion

DRAWING A BLANK | When Sam finds Junior ransacking his cabin, Junior informs his uncle that Pauline is still alive. Plus, after they find an old drawing of Pauline’s that depicts four hands touching the dome, Junior suggests that all four hands need to be killed in order to bring the dome down — which explains why Angie was offed. “Who are the other three hands?” Sam asks. “Well, golly gee, it’s me, Joe and Norrie,” Junior easily offers up to his shady uncle. Naturally, Sam gets Junior drunk and nearly smothers him with a pillow, but he can’t quite go through with the deed. Yet.

Later, Sam and Junior find a hidden drawing of Pauline’s that brings them back to Melanie’s locker. Upon breaking it open, they find it leads to a tunnel — one that Lyle has likely used to get far, far away from the crazies of Chester’s Mill.

That leaves us with the usual parting questions: Has a TV character ever shown up more sporadically than Norrie’s mom? Despite their teenage drama, might Joe and Norrie be the smartest and most refreshingly honest people in town? Is Rebecca becoming — gasp — somewhat likable? And most importantly: What did you think of the episode? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. EC says:

If next week opens with Desmond listening to Mama Cass, I’m done with this.

2. GuessWhat says:

1) was a series finale filmed yet?
    2) this really needs to wrap up THIS summer
    3) if this just ends on a cliffhanger this summer, there is a good chance it will be cancelled and leave everyone hanging……AGAIN (like so many other ‘mystery’ series before it)
    4) and if it does get renewed for a season 3, it will just meander to the point of utter annoyance

WRAP THIS UP

• Moment says:

The season finale was filmed weeks back, but as it’s not confirmed as a series finale, you can’t really call it that.

3. laurelnev says:

That tunnel BETTER lead to the “source,” which BETTER NOT be a golden waterfall. :) If it’s NOT related to a purple egg, then it’s a tunnel out of the Dome.

This show BETTER define itself soon. Is it about what folks do in a crisis/isolation situation? Is it about faith vs science? Is it about corruption? Or is it about aliens, a glowing egg, and how it relates to a mysterious dome.

Nothing like bringing on a new Deus ex machina character we’ve never seen to take the show in a whole, new direction.

4. JeffDJ says:

When Sam was monologuing over the passed-out Junior, did he reveal that he killed Angie, or did I mishear that?
    And I see that I’m not the only one who thought of the hatch reveal from “Lost” in that final locker pull-back shot.
    Also, Rachelle Lefevre looked exceptionally gorgeous as Julia in this episode. She was almost glowing. Wow.

• dan says:

Yes, I’m pretty sure Sam admitted to killing Angie just when he was preparing to kill his nephew. Good guy, this Sam! Just add another murder to your list (I assume he killed the original Melanie, although it could’ve been Lyle who pushed her into the hole with the original egg). As for Sheriff Phil: I knew he was done during the “previously on” recap at the opening of the show; there was a scene of him being handed the Sheriff’s badge by Big Jim which to me was the “kiss of death” for Phil not making it through this episode. About half-way through I said to my wife: this may be it for me. She responded: you said that last week. Not sure why I’m still watching!

• NayNay says:

Yes, Rachelle Lefevre looked good, but she still can’t act. It’s painful to watch.

• Lambsilencer says:

Yes, but I also think it’s the role. She was very good in “The Caller”, where she pretty much had to carry the whole movie by herself. She showed a lot more range there than she does here. But yes, she is one strikingly gorgeous woman.

• drhenning says:

Wonder if she used those nipple pads to good use as revealed on Letterman last night???

5. Nekyr says:

The web link says “under-the-dome-recap-season-2-episode-5-phil-dies”, but Phil didn’t die, he was shot in the shoulder, last we saw him, he was in shock with his lip trembling…

• dan says:

I assumed Phil died, just like his former partner Dody and all the other wasted characters on this show (the original Sheriff who didn’t make it through the pilot episode, Sheriff Linda, one of Norrie’s moms, the preacher, Rose who owned the diner). The only character of “substance” they killed off was Angie. Its ok, they’ll keep bringing on new characters who suddenly show up inside the dome! Now that they have a tunnel, anybody can enter the dome for some excitement. It could be a tourist attraction!

• Leo says:

Yeah I don’t think Phil dies. Barbie is an ex-military, of course he knew where to shoot. I mean I hate that Phil went from DJ to scheming cop in a span of few episodes but Barbie won’t kill unless it’s necessary.

6. Bob G says:

This needs to wrap up this season yes it seems that Sam did say he killed Angie. Rachel did look very beautiful tonight. That is one enormous tunnel from one school locker. Big Jim’s character has been played out way too much. Hopefully the season finale has been filmed already and man it’s only been 2 sticking weeks they have been under the dome?

7. Kathy says:

Why the question about Carolyn, Norrie’s “Mom”, she’s never been gone! Norrie’s biological Mom died, Carolyn was her partner. Notice race difference…
    BTW I love this show. Perfect summer guilty pleasure. I don’t expect it to be without logical holes, it is science fiction which always requires a suspension of disbelief. I enjoy finding errors, (like nobody questioning why Phil knew exactly what caused explosion!), but people who truely hate the show should simply stop watching.

• Laura says:

Re: Carolyn – I think she’s referencing the fact that, even though she’s obviously still around, we’ve barely seen her at all this season. It’s understandable actor-wise (the actress is probably only contracted for a few episodes), but it’s weird story-wise (where has she been? Why doesn’t Norrie ever spend any time with her, especially since Alice *just* died?)

8. SK says:

Umm…no to Rebecca being likable. She’s soooo annoying!

Wasn’t Wendell killed because he didn’t agree with Big Jim? He was going to attack him and that’s why power-hungry Phil shot him.

When Melanie opened the locker earlier, they didn’t find anything in there. I guess Lyle broke the interior of the locker to find the hidden tunnel?

I actually told my husband that I wish they stuck with the 13-episode series like they touted in the beginning. This is just all over the place and I can’t stand it. The book was so much better to me.

• DWW says:

You are right. Wendell was attacking Big Jim. This is the second week in a row that this recap had an error in it. Someone needs to actually watch the show.

9. Jane says:

No Rebecca is not becoming likable and is still annoying and I still want her to die. Can someone please please find out if they are wrapping things up this season. I’ll stick it out if the show is ending this season but if there is a 3rd I’d just as soon quit now.

• GuessWhat says:

we are on the same page!

• so quit watching , Rebecca is at least trying to help, unlike Julia who runs around doing alot of bossing around, & gets called on it becaus she doesn’t know what she is doing..if anything from the book were to translate to the show I wish it were the Julia in the book , the one on TV is annoying

10. NayNay says:

This show, oh my gosh, this show! Why are the writers smoking crack? That can be the only excuse for the direction it’s going in. I honestly did not think of “Lost” and the hatch when they showed the tunnel, because this show could never be as good as “Lost” was on its worst day. Why do I keep watching? Because it makes me laugh.

11. Faye says:

I too am hoping this show ends this summer. I don’t want it to be an on-going series – two summers are enough. After reading about “Lost” celebrating its 10 year anniversary at Comic-Con, it just makes me sadder that it is gone.

12. B says:

It just needs to end already. I’ve had enough of the horrible writing, directing and acting. There are only a handful of characters that I don’t wish would just be killed off by the dome. They really can’t drag this out for a third season, can they?

I really have to wonder what Stephen King thinks when he sees what TV does to his material.

13. Bob says:

Norrie needs a good one…..

14. Moment says:

At the very least, the series needs another season, or a few episodes to wrap up the story. Either would do. There’s no sense letting it end without any resolution to the plot.

15. Da says:

How can i watch under the dome online im from holland and im dying to see it i cant watch the episodes of season 2 i have to download things that never work or i get all these pop ups puuuhhhhhlease help me outtt im dying to see it

• Michelle says:

Not sure if you have access to Amazon Prime in your country, but they have exclusive rights to it and the new episodes post on Fridays.

16. Barbara Guerra says:

Does anybody know the name of the song that played at the end, just after Big Jim and Julia shook hands, the one that goes “it’s been so long baby since you held me in your arms real tight it’s been so long baby since you treated your baby right you packed your suitcase…”? For the life of me I can’t find it.

17. Robin says:

They cancel revolution and let this thing drag on and on–getting tired of it.

18. crow says:

I DVRd this episode, and as I watched, I wondered – did I remember to put toilet paper on my grocery list? Am I out of laundry soap?
    And then the bigger question occurred: Did I remember to go into my DVR settings and cancel the Under the Dome series recording, thereby preserving what few brain cells I have remaining? Well, one out of three questions answered ain’t bad.

19. Matt says:

This was a great show the first season. Now each week it’s the same BS. Big Jim never changes, Jr is an idiot who always says “I’ll make them pay”, deputy wasn’t even arrested for killing that guy, and the town is up in arms. And why isn’t the goverment or military trying to help them?

20. Jimbo says:

This show wins my vote for “most aimless show on television”

21. strutz73 says:

Remember guys this is based on a Stephen King book with collabaration from Steven Spielberg! I can’t wait to see how its going to end either but,with patience, it will surely be worth it in the end!So who thinks Lyle will end up saving the day and taking care of Sam, since we knows that he is a murderer, Lyle may bring him down!:) Anyways just a thought! Lol hope everyone ha a great day and keep enjoying Under The Dome!

22. strutz73 says:

Also, who here is super stoked bout Junior turning over a new leaf, and help save the town, UNLIKE his father!? OH YEAH!!!

23. kelly says:

Boring… Like Lost

24. Colleen says:

I love the show and hope it’s renewed. If you can’t follow the story line then just don’t watch. Not everything on TV is a dumbed-down reality show. Norrie may be spending a lot of time with her mom, Norrie isn’t on screen all the time, and her mother has work to do …there isn’t enough time in the show to give each character lots of time every episode. Jim’s character is constantly changing, as are the others (Junior, Barbie, Phil, Sam, etc)…sometimes good, sometimes not so good—like real people, they are clearly neither all good nor all bad.

25. Patricia says:

I agree with Colleen and Cathy…I love the show, I am so sick and tried of all these reality shows. Under the dome makes you try to guess what will happen next…I like that…hope it will be renewed for another season…for you ppl that don’t like it just don’t watch…how hard is that!!!!!