Rising Star Recap: Exception to the Duels

rising-star-recap-duels-audrey-kate-geiger-shameia-crawford

Quick, say something nice about Rising Star! And no, “it’s no longer clogging up my DVR with its tuneless discharge” does not count as “nice.”

Maybe I ought to go first? Ummm…

OK, ABC’s reality singing competition is putting my math skills to good use. (That hinky “percentage of people who vote yes” + “7% for each judge” metric does occasionally tickle the brain.)

RELATED Quotes of the Week from Bad Teacher, Defiance, Rizzoli & Isles, Hot in Cleveland, The Leftovers and More

Also, host Josh Groban almost completely faded into the backdrop this week — thereby reducing the chances that this embarrassing stain on his résumé will destroy his talented hipster-dork status.

And lastly, there were two singers on this week’s final set of head-to-head duels who didn’t fill me with the immediate desire to change the channel (or plunge lit matches into my eardrums to make it all stop). Next week, the Top 13 will face off, with only eight advancing.

RELATED Sons of Anarchy Season 7 Preview: Theo Rossi and Kim Coates on Jax-Juice Showdown, Tig-Venus Romance

I know, I know, all this positivity is getting weird. We’re talking about Rising Star, for cryin’ out loud! With that in mind, let’s break down tonight’s quartet of duels — via which four contestants advanced thanks to east-coast votes, and one additional, yet-to-be-determined vocalist will be rescued by the west coast.

Morgan Higgins, “Edge of Glory” — Grade: C-
vs
Maneepat Molloy, “Gravity” — Grade: C
Maneepat advances with 66% of votes (including Kesha and Ludacris) over Morgan (who scored 45% including Brad and Kesha)

Shameia Crawford, “Cry Me a River” — Grade: B+
vs
Unselfish, “Payphone” — Grade: D+
Shameia advances with 70% (including all three judges) over Unselfish (who scored 33%, including Kesha)

Dana Williams, “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” — Grade: B-
vs
Audrey Kate Geiger, “To Make You Feel My Love” — Grade: B+
Audrey advances with 88% (including all three judges) over Dana (who got 67%, including Kesha and Ludacris)

Karen Hornsby, “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” — Grade: C-
vs
Joshua Peavy, “Too Close” — Grade: C
Joshua advances with 75% (includng Brad and Ludacris) over Karen with 67% (including all three judges)

What did you think of tonight’s Rising Star? Who were your faves? Did anyone get robbed? Does anyone deserve to “win”? Share your thoughts in the comments!

1. Natinthehat says:

Dana and Audrey were in my top 3 tonight. Hopefully Dana will get the save. Shameia won the night. I actually might download her cover… #dontkillme

2. Kaba says:

God that Karen woman is downright awful. I really wish those judges, spelled K-E-S-H-A, would stop blowing smoke up her, can’t hold a note in tune for a fraction of a second, ass.
    Pardon my language I suppose.
    Also, why do the experts/idiots keep telling everyone to star on their glory note? All the arrangements just sound stupid.
    God Bless Shameia.

• Tangerine Green says:

Isn’t that the truth. I couldn’t believe it when all 3 judges voted for her despite the horrible performance. I think the coaches are being coached by production to try to make this train wreck more interesting.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yes!!! The starting on the glory note thing is driving me nuts. That’s so antithetical to the way a song is supposed to build!!! If you start at the climax, the song has nowhere to go. I HATE THIS SHOW!!!! THE JUDGES SUCK!!!!!
      Enough exclamation marks. I’m starting to scare myself here.

3. Jeff Marley says:

In my opinion, shameia owned the night!!! Dana and audra were also in my top three!!! :)

4. Dee says:

FIrst duel was horribly boring. Neither teen girl will go anywhere.

Shameia is great, she has a chance to win this thing. Unselfish was really bad and both of their song choices were terrible. They’re an r&b boy band so why were they singing bland pop songs by Fun and Maroon 5? On top of that, their harmonies and solos needed a lot of work.

I love Audrey, she’s got a beautiful, jazzy voice and deserved her win. She made a great choice singing acapella for a bit. Dana has a very pretty voice as well but absolutely no stage charisma or presence. She’s a very boring performer which is why I think she lost.

Josh absolutely deserved his win. I love his voice, very soulful and emotive. But Karen? UGGGHHH she needs to go. That woman has absolutely NO VOICE CONTROL. She can never stay in tune and constantly hits notes out of her range. Someone commented on another site that she probably thinks she’s a better singer than she truly is and I agree totally. Very ballsy of her to choice songs my Celine Dion and Aretha Franklin when she’s nowhere in their league vocally. I’ve never heard anyone who’s voice just goes all over the place from note to note like it’s got a mind of its own.

And I must say that what Kesha said about voting no for Josh because she’s so in love with Karen and wants her to say was completely unprofessional and horribly biased. The man had a solid performance and for her to use that reasoning to vote him no was so insulting. For a girl with a genius IQ, Kesha is the worst TV personality/judge in the history of the world. Is she on medication or something, she always seems loopy and drugged out.

5. danin says:

When it first started I think I watched it twice and since have forgotten it’s even on unless I see your tweet about it,Mike…hahaha

6. Jill Moy says:

I’ve put horrible KAREN on a par with April last week! What are these judges hearing? OMG! It was so awful, I believe listening to WILLIAM HUNG after he swallowed bath salts would be a much better performance!

The rest were not average singers. We have Crawford who is another Gabby Nicole, a black singer who shrieks and screams. The the typical black stereotyped singer who everyone thinks is good! She was singing so out of tune (what tune), it was comical! Her vibrato wasn’t pretty…it was overbearing and too much! Another overrated singer on a talent show!

7. Jill Moy says:

Praise GOD UNSELFISH can go away…goodbye already! Keisha votes yes for Unselfish but no for Sarah Darling! Please, someone bring her a straight jacket and lock her up in a padded room in BELVIEW MEDICAL FACILITY IN NY! PALEEEEEEEEEESSSSSE!!

One last thing,

For the second or third time Kesha votes NO on the obvious better singer because sh doesn’t want the favorite of hers to go home! This time she flat out admitted it! What an unethical person she is! A moron like her should be fired immediately! Haven’t the men in white coats picked her up yet? Maybe next week.

8. Angie_Overrated says:

I can’t tell if Shamela was amazing or if the talent pool is so shallow that she simply looks amazing by comparison. I’m going to attempt to be less cynical and say the former. That sounded pretty damn good!

• Kaba says:

It’s both.
      Sad to say

• Angie_Overrated says:

Kaba, HI!!! :) My sister in snark. Well, I assume you’re a lady, but I actually don’t know. I’ll go for a gender-neutral “sibling” in snark. Still alliterative, so it works.
        And yes, Shamela was pretty awesome. Best one I’ve heard thus far and the only one I’ve heard that could have held her own on the last season of The Voice. The rest of the singers have been great because they allow me to catch up on email.

• Kaba says:

Male LOL.
          When Shameia started singing I began to have foolish delusions that there was hope for the rest of the night….
          Needless to say that immediately hung itself once Karen Hornsby sang her first note…
          Oh my God that woman cannot sing a run to save her life.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oops. Glad I backtracked quickly. I never guess online genders correctly. :)
            Is Karen the one with the daughter with cerebral palsy? Yeah, not a great singer, but it was hard to hate on her when I saw her daughter. And I was kinda rooting for her as she’s my age and it’s exceedingly tough for the older crowd to break into the industry if they’re not established. But yeah, no bueno.

• Kaba says:

Yes, she’s the one with the daughter who has enough medical issues to make a doctor say “damn”. I felt bad…then what she did to Natural Woman turned my sensitivity to toward her daughter into just pure rage.
            So bad. And Kesha had the nerve to try and keep her on the show. Oh God.

A O,

I guess we hear different…LOL! She sounded to me like she was in her own world, not on tune, sounding way out there to me!

• Kim Moores says:

Well get your hearing checked honey cause she was definitely in tune. Like…for the entire song too.

KIM,

NOT SO,

She’s a screaming nobody like GABBY NICOLE! She was comical with her ridiculous vibrato, and she was off key!

KIM,

AND…MY HEARING IS JUST FINE!

I think you are deaf! ARE YOU GUESSING SHE WAS GOOD??????

KIM,

Q TIPS? FUNNY! e’ll see when she gets eliminated! Just like GABBY NICOLE, who I predicted to everyone would fall flat on her face! This girl is going NOWHERE! ANOTHER WANNABE DIVA who is an average singer! There are millions like her….A BLACK GIRL WHO THINKS SHE’S GREAT!

• Kim Moores says:

“A BLACK GIRL WHO THINKS SHE’S GREAT”
            Honey, don’t put words into the womans mouth. She’s been incredibly humble.
            As for her elimination, won’t surprise me. This show has a knack for putting through the wrong people.
            Unfortunately, JILL, her elimination will not be indicative of her ability to sing in tune considering leaving the votes up to America is always a shame. Especially on this show
            Nonetheless, she gave a great IN TUNE performance (which is tough to say considering there’s an unfathomable amount of plebe tier “talent” on this show..not including Kesha) so that’s that.
            It also appears you’re allowing the low regard you have for the show itself be the template for all the contestants on the show. Just cause the show sucks, doesn’t mean every one of its contestants will suck. Though that isn’t to say 99% of their contestants don’t suck.
            Also, didn’t see her audition, just knew she was saved. Expected her to suck, was surprised. Doesn’t mean I’m rallying behind her, just means this was an exceptional performance. Though I’m certain all of what I said will translate into nonsense to you since you talk as though you’re Her Highness of the comments here; your word is law.
            Meh

• Angie_Overrated says:

No, she was in tune. I get that not every singer is going to be to everyone’s liking, but being in tune is one of those binary situations where she either is or she is not with no room for subjective opinion. Objectively she was in tune.

A O,

Thanks for the reply. I guess to each their own, huh? To me she was getting carried away and way outta there! It was, to me like she was in a world of her own! Her vibrato was too much for my taste. She, to me was off key by a mile! Either way, Michael’s rating was way too high!

KIM,

You sure are long winded….what comments! I respect your views but disagree! I think they all stink and it’s a petty much of a slam dunk that Jesse will win!

• BrazenSongBird says:

Sorry Jill. I agree with Angie. Her vibrato is wide-ish, but she was mostly in tune (give or take a couple of strays, and nothing “big”). Hers is not the conventional 1/4 step vibrato. Her voice gives way to a 1/2 almost 3/4 of a step, not quite a trill. But since the concept of tuning is not subjective, she was in tune.

BRAZ,

Again I don’t agree! She was wild and in her own world, way off key! To me it was laughable, not good at all! Believe me, I am a great judge of talent! I still feel, she’s going nowhere and Jesse will win!

9. I loved it! Rising Star is better than Idol and the Voice! Shameia completely outsung them all. Karen was incredible, Morgan was terrible, Maneepat nailed it, Unselfish was bad, Morgan was horrendous, Dana was good, Joshua was ehh and Audrey killed it! Love it.

JOHN,

KAREN INCREDIBLE? Weren’t you that comedian that was on AGT? Congrats!

I made prior comments already! Edith bunker, drunk, would have had a more pleasant voice! Please, Edith, come back from the dead and prove me right!

• Jill, are some of these people high? Everyones awful again tonight! UGHHH!

• Jill, the women singing on here remind me of BAD beauty pageant singers! They are always bad and pick cheesy horrible songs! I cant stand the women who sing in beauty pageants and they actually think they are good and their smiles are all fake! Am I watching Miss Teen USA? LOL LOL ICK

• I am actually watching this late. It was on my DVR! Are you frikkin kidding me? OMG UNSELFISH WAS THE WORST I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE! This show! Is ABC proud of this? GET OFF THE STAGE! LOL IM YELLING AT THE TV. I swear im buying a bag of rotten tomatoes for next week and going to throw them at the tv during rising star

• Jill I got a good singer for you to check out. Maliki Paul, 9 years old Britains Got Talent. From 2012. Watch the audition! I cried! He made it to the top 3 in the finale at 9 years old. I have never heard of a 9 year old making it to top 3. So much better than anyone on this show! He made me cry!

• You have to watch the UNCUT VERSION of maliki pauls audition! He breaks down during the performance and then does the song a second time and nails it! 43 million views! Spectacular! So type in Uncut version when you watch it

BECCA
          Karen and Audrey sounded from another planet! These judges and the voters are truly insane!

They all stink! Jesse will win IT’S OVER!

BECCA,

We have another GABBY….TERRIBLE KAREN bragged she’s going ALL THE WAY! Well, she’s gone now!

• Angie_Overrated says:

John, no. lol Just no. I could write a PhD thesis on everything that’s wrong with your post, but I think the word “No” sums it all up fairly cleanly.

10. Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

I’ve heard him….very good singer especially being a youngster!

I like Alice Fredenham from BGT last year. She has some good You Tube clips too!

Anyway, Kesha is ridiculous all together! She needs a good slap!

• Amazing, i had never heard him before and just kind of ran into his audition because I was watching Susan Boyles! He is just a baby! Cute! I will go watch Alice Fredenham. Keisha is a waste. How much are they paying her to do this show? I wouldnt give her 50 cents!

11. Mike says:

Does Kesha know how these shows are supposed to work? I’m pretty sure she doesn’t.

• Yah Mike, She has no etiquette on the show and admits she votes for people for the dumbest reasons! Obviously, no one has taught her how to act on National TV! I hope she isnt on here next year! If there is a next year show!

12. Jill Moy says:

Audrey sounded like a crazy, high singer! Where do they get these people from! Was it supposed to be comedy?

How could she get all those votes! Does the country have tone deaf sickness?

• Yes! The whole country is tone deaf! Are you and I the only ones that notice that these are horrible singers? Alice is damn AMMAAAZZZZIINNNG

BECCA,

If you go back to last weeks post on RS, I addressed you with some AGT facts! They are the last comments!

Another singer who’s good is CASSANDRA MAE JOPP, world karaoke champion! She has showmanship and can sing anything!

These singers are pathetic! We must be only sane people around…LOL!

BECCA,

Yeah, I really like Alice! She can sing!

• Omg did Michael Johns die? Jill we were just having a blast with him about a month ago on these comment sites! Im just sick about this! Get back to me! So Young and a great singer.

BECCA,

That wasn’t the great singer from AI we were joking with, was it?? I doubt it! The singer from the past on AI died at age 35 from a blood clot! He left too soon that year. It was because of him, AI employed the save option the following year!

• I think it was him! Cause I saw other people on here telling him he left the show too soon and people seemed familiar with him! Thats when I figured it out.That all happened when everyone was arguing about Jess Meuse, around the time I met you on here! Hey where is the new place to comment on rising star from tonights show? Cant find it>

• That was Michael Johns that died of a blood clot! Remember we used to have fun talking with him?

• Jill GeeeeeeeeeZZZZ What, In going to laugh my *** off in a minute. Me and you are the same person! Ok I have heard it all! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL WHAT????? I never knew you are the huge Caleb fan I am! Multiple Personality Disorder? WAIT WHERE IS MY RESPRIDOL AND KLONOPIN? I have forgotten who I am!!! Wheres my meds? Where Am I? Who am I? HAHAHAHAHAHA Jill Please try to control the other personalities! Remember the movie Sybil? This is so funny!

• I just thought you only (kind of) liked Caleb, but not a total Caleb freak like I am! Have you heard his new stuff?

13. Jill Moy says:

Audrey a B PLUS? OMG! She has one of the weirdest sounds ever! She sounds like Melanie (singer years ago) who hasn’t slept for a week or 2!

Becca,

I mentioned the singer Michael Johns and he didn’t seem to confirm or comment about him. I doubt it was him but I am truly sorry I never got a chance to tell him what a great talent I thought he was ( if it was him)!

Tonight’s show was crap, well at least horrible punch and terrible Macy left with the rest of the terrible singers! Next is April! I thought Crawford sounded like a drunk sheep (that constant overdone vibrato)!

BECCA,

The latest on this sight is you and I are the same person….LOL! Look on this post and you’ll see the nimrods accusing us of being the same person!

14. Brian says:

Someone is having a conversation with themselves on this board under a different name…it needs to stop.

BRIAN,

CALEBSWACKOFAN AND MYSELF ARE 2 DIFFERENT PEOPLE! JUST BECAUSE WE AGREE MOST OF THE TIME DOESN’T MAKE US THE SAME PERSON!

• Tori says:

Well, there’s no definitive proof so it’s just as likely that you’re the same person lol.

TORI,

LOL! We do agree most of the time but we a different persons! Do people really answer themselves? That is funny as heck….a classic! calebswackofan will get a kick out of that! Boy, that’s too much work being 2 people….LOL!

• Are you guys frikkin kidding me?Me and Jill, the same person? Does she really seem like a Caleb Fan? Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard. I am a HUGE Caleb fan and she really wasnt a huge fan of him. She tends to like the REALLY good female singers like Melinda Doolittle and I tend to like the James Durbin, Caleb, rocker types. We are not the same person but I think she is so damn funny! Love her!

• Ok crazy people. Ask slezak to check our addresses and see if we are the same. I prob live in a different state than she does. Just think about It. She is very focused ALWAYS on the good or terrible FEMALE singers. And I am Caleb crazy! By the way I love his new music. Album sample is on u tube!

BECCA,

I like male singers just as well as females…I really do! I liked Caleb! You forgot, I predicted from day 1, he would come in 2nd place (behind Brianna Oakley). I was close!

• This is hilarious. im guessing because we both like jess kinch that our multiple personalities are showing. yes i know you like the guys too!

BECCA,

I did listen to Caleb and it’s very good stuff. I hope he makes it! I wonder how DA MOOSE Meuse, and DA MUMMBLES DIAPER GIRL Jena (Gina) are doing! They’d make a great circus act!

• Probably being clowns on the tour! I saw a live clip from the idols tour and basically most of the time they are kind of back up singers for Caleb! LOL They have some videos on u tube of the idols tour and that is where I saw it. All four girls, Jena Malaya, Jess,Majesty are standing behind caleb doing back up vocals for him. Didnt see MK Nobilette singing with them though or the little brunette Emily. Then I heard Dexter has Rocky Mountain Tick Disease and is off the tour. I know that sounds like a joke , but its for real! He got it from hunting.

15. Ifound1 says:

I really like that Shameia Crawford is finally getting some recognition. Her style is distinct and shows a tremendous amount of diversity. I really think that she can sing anything.

TORI,

Believe what you want! I’m still waiting for her to react to this laughable scenario!

Again, what would the point be! If you look on the post before this one, she wasn’t even on it…period! I guess I DECIDED TO NOT BE TWO PEOPLE THAT WEEK? YEAH RIGHT!

First I was accused of having 5 different names and now this?

Must be my no-hold barred approach to honesty, which with this show is mostly negative, as there’s nothing to be positive about!

At least this show has almost all attractive singers! AI had the biggest assortment of goofballs ever assembled on a tv show!

• Jill Moy says:

In the looks department, the only thing I commented on was Sarah Darling’s neck! SHE HAS THE WORLD’S LONGEST NECK! Is she in Guiness World Of Records book yet? Mumma Mia, that’s a long neck! She would be great in a remake of DEUCE BIG, MALE GIG! When she walked down the street with Deuce, you would hear….”THAT’S A HUGE NECK!”

IFOUND,

Being on this crappy show is not recognition! It’s a joke!

Nobody on this show will amount to anything….You’ll see!

16. Jill Moy says:

What talent folks!

17. Jill Moy says:

Well, no RS post this week so my comments are for 8-3-14!

The only good singer was Jesse! The rest stank up the TV! Finally overrated Macy and Punch are gone! April and others will follow! Miss thing Crawford sounded terrible, like a drunk sheep with her dramatics! Punch was flying her arms around and jumping around like a kangaroo with long spindly arms! A true comedy classic! The oriental so called BROADWAY singer (don’t make me laugh) never was good! She was awful! Was she the towel girl for the actors in a play?

18. colton smith says:

why no post this week? are you had enough

Any Way , A True Potential to be a star , Macy Kate was sadly
    short on percentages
    but im sure she will make it, she has a fan base
    she has the talent , a very good voice , so im not worried about her
    wish her good luck!

About the others, jesse like always was amazing, austin and joshua suprise
    me every week with a very soulful and passionate performances , great job guys

April was solid but i want her back on the guitar, she’s great on that
    the others- not very intresting

C S,

I disagree! While certainly better than some, Macy wasn’t very good at all. She was so overrated! She didn’t fool anyone this time around.

This show has no surprises! Jesse gets highest votes every time. We know 100% he will win this crappy show!

Jesse is the best on THIS show! While being good, he too is overrated! There are thousands of wannabe famous singers who sing with his type voice! He’s isn’t that special! For this show however, he is leaps and bounds above the rest! He’s the only singer worth a listen to!

• colton smith says:

Lets agree to disagree,
        Macy And Jesse are not overated , they are great singers that can compete at every good season of any other music reality show
        They are not wannabees , they are the real deal

Macy,Jesse ,april ,jusua and austin , i enjoy listening them every week

COLTON,

Jesse is good, don’t get me wrong but we’ve heard so many raspy voices like his! Anytime a singer screams, like Crawford, or growls like Macy, or for that matter has a rough sounding voice like Jesse, everyone thinks they’re wonderful! Macy is not a good singer….she has too much to learn! She is so ordinary!

Jesse is THE SURE WINNER, and that ruins the show….no mystery to the winner;always the top vote getter!

• Colton Smith says:

i completely disagree on macy , she is no way ordinary
            off course she has to learn and grow, who doesn’t ??
            whoever come to this kind of shows doesn’t become a star and
            vocal perfect in days or even weeks, its a matter of persistence
            , it takes years
            but she got all it takes – great tone, great looks, stage presence
            , so its only the start of her

im guessing you didnt like bria kelly also from the voice ?

• Colton Smith says:

and about jesse, i would love for him to win , but there is a problem if everyone think he’s going to win , this is when it could end with a suprise
            ive seen already shows that there is a hugh favourite but he lost in the finale to the underdog

19. Jill Moy says:

COLTON,

Macy does not possess the tools to be a great singer! You can only grow so much and she has been singing awhile. My opinion is she is going nowhere. I do however respect your opinion on her! Time will tell….YOU ‘LL SEE!

I agree that underdogs have won a show! BUT……Nobody has been such a big favorite WIRE TO WIRE! If he once would have even got a normal 70% or so I might agree there could be an upset! But, he gathers an average of around 90% and let’s face it, he is far better than the pack and the public and judges will continue to place him on a star status! If he loses, there should be an investigation!

COLTON,

Bria is OK when she’s not growling! Growling is not talent! On a female, it sounds unattractive!