Legend of Korra Is Moving Online, But 'There Is Definitely a Book 4'

Legend of Korra Cancelled

The Legend of Korra will not be televised — at least not after this Friday.

The animated series’ creators have confirmed rumblings (started at NickAndMore.com) that Korra will have its final Nickelodeon broadcast this Friday at 8/7c — with Episode 8, “The Terror Within” — before moving Book Three’s final five episodes online, including to Nick.com.

“Korra is NOT cancelled,” the KorraNation Tumblr site reports. “The remaining episodes will roll out weekly on Nick.com and the Nick app beginning August 1, as well as on platforms like Amazon, Google Play, Xbox and Hulu.”

Creator Bryan Konietzko said as much with a Tumblr post, as did Michael Dante DiMartinto, who added via Facebook: “There is most definitely a Book 4. All the pre-production is done and Studio Mir is hard at work on the animation. This was a disappointing development for sure, but as long as you all are able to see the show in some capacity, I’m grateful.”

Konietzko and DiMartinto are expected to share more this Friday during a San Diego Comic-Con appearance.

1. Leah says:

Nickelodeon’s treatment of Korra is giving me whiplash.

2. androme3 says:

This is truly reprehensible to the fans to this show. They just want a great show to watch and Nickelodeon screwed them over repeatedly (especially with Book 2). Nick should learn a major lesson: Treat a great show with perfect respect and well-done promotion, and they’ll get the success they. They do that with TMNT, Power Rangers Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners, but still. Too bad almost all that respect is also with SpongeBob, Fairly OddParents and the live-action shows they have now.

3. Mike R. says:

I’m truly disappointed because I really do enjoy watching things on TV over internet, but as long as we will see the episodes I can’t complain too much. I only hope we still get a blu ray release for the last two books. It is not the shows fault, it was Nick’s treatment of the show that led to its decline. I must admit though I don’t see the benefits of airing a repeat of Spongebob or some other show instead of airing Korra. Looking forward to this comic con panel.

4. CBWBDK1 says:

The way Nickelodeon treats this show is disgusting!

5. Zayne says:

I really thought Nickelodeon was better than this. To take their most critically acclaimed show and announce the premiere a week before with zero promotion and then immediately take a week off. Then moving it to Friday night. I just don’t understand. I have Amazon Prime so I’ll be able to watch it there. My only hope is that only a portion of that viewing revenue makes it to Viacom’s pocket. I hope Amazon gouges the crap out of them.

I thought you were better than Cartoon Network Nick…. I see I was incredibly wrong.

• Zayne says:

I’ll just add that I also watch TMNT but I don’t care enough about it not to cancel my series recording in anger. I no longer watch anything on this network. The rest of it is garbage.

6. Miranta says:

Ugh, don’t even want to know what garbage will play in its place. Glad to see that the series won’t be suddenly truncated, though. I’ll follow Korra wherever it goes.

7. I find it a bit ridiculous that they’re taking Legend of Korra of the air, yet they fund Spongebob which is stupid and pretty much no one watches the show. Many fans are upset because a lot of them don’t have internet access. Personally, I don’t mind, cause I usually watch LoK Online. It’s my personal preference. But many are upset and I think they should take down Spongebob or some other stupid kid show and continue to air it.

8. cjeffery7 says:

hey nick, if you want a show to make money on live TV you actually have to promote it more than a week in advance. it would also be nice to air it at the same time every week until it’s complete. it’s called consistency. way to completely disrespect a program that you’ve heretofore claimed to be in support of.

9. ATB says:

This reminds me of what Cartoon Network did to Mystery Incorporated. Trying to watch the final episodes was insane. You never knew when it would come on, sometimes at 2:15 pm and on several occasions the final moments of the show got cut off. The series finale aired with no promotion whatsoever.

These networks need to get it together. I realize that they are focusing on demos for children or whatever, but adults like cartoons too and can lead to a huge fanbase when the show is promoted correctly. I hope Legend of Korra will still get bluray releases.

10. Sami says:

What?!?!?!? LOK is one of Nickelodeon’s best shows, and this is how they treat it?? This is so stupid….

11. hussainity says:

Cartoon Network should just take it. Maybe they can treat Korra like it should.

• sanayars says:

I agree… it isnt right to remove the series … but then fans dont count.. and I did see some book2 smashing totally uncalled for.. Book 3 has deff taken a turn this evening on pins an needles till next episode!

12. danc1026 says:

I’m going to miss it not being on tv!!!:(

13. Bill says:

Good! The Legend of Korra is absolute garbage and should be canceled. I hope somehow book 4 is canceled and never released to the public. Book 2 was possibly the worst thing I have ever watched in my entire life.

14. Eden says:

Why does anyone care about this show anymore though? Book 2 was utter thrash in terms of character development and plot, and don’t get me started on the giant deus ex machina that was Jinora in the season finale. Not to mention the annihilation of Bolin as a character did me in for good. Honestly, this show doesn’t even deserve to be a webseries – it deserves to be done and over with.

15. sanayars says:

I cant believe you waited an aired ”The Legend of Korra” in summer months when Fans have waited so long! and expect ratings to be high when most people are attending summer community Fairs and vacationing! I do hope that you ”air book 4” at least more quickly an maybe fall or winter months for the Fan base to continue to watch ”The Avatar”! the writers are awsome! I am hoping even after Korra the Avatar continues and is reunited with past lives!! it is one if not the best show on Nick! # saveKorra!

16. tiffany says:

Honestly, I don’t really watch tv that much anymore. Football is the only thing and maybe once in awhile when at hotels but otherwise I’m paying for Netflix and Hulu (we don’t have a cable subscription, and why bother when what we want is on Hulu and Netflix?) So needless to say, I’m fine that I don’t have worry about missing it on a tv station I can’t even get.

17. lydario says:

I was thinking this might largely have to do with them killing off the earth queen. Think about it, that was a dark episode for Avatar. Maybe moving them online if a compromise which would allow them to get away with a slightly less kid friendly plot-line.

Also book 2 sucked, but part of why I think it sucked is that harmonic convergence and zaheer would never fit into one story, so they probably had to add a lot of filler for book 2 to make sense.

18. Shoshway says:

I really love the legend of korra series don’t stop making the new episodes they are very exciting and I would love it more if mako and korra had a much more romantic relationship

19. blue says:

lol avatar is better than nickelodeon

20. Khenos says:

It’s kinda great. Like we are entering a new era. Era of internet. I already forgot about TV. And i’m watching all in the net. And it is a shame that i cannot watch it on TV and make the ratings hire but still i love this show and I watch it the way that i can.

21. Thanh says:

I actually thought this was decent of Nickelodeon to at least give an avenue for the show to complete it’s storytelling, and for fans to continue to enjoy it. I wish more networks would allow shows to finish, or at least have time to wrap up, instead of cancelling outright.

22. Steve says:

Just seen the season finale thanks to YouTube. A bit disappointed on the outcome of korra’s battle leaving her crippled and basically motion less for a period of time nobody knows about.

Whatever the case may be I’m still a Huge fan of this show, sucks to see it be taken off television, but what else would you expect ?They’re always taking off the good shows.

23. korraLover says:

SOOOO glad there is gonna be a season 4! season 3 was much better than season 2! I hope the upward spiral continues in season 4! posted release dates would be great! thanks for such an amazing show!!!!

24. Lindsey says:

So excited for season 4, but I agree with most of the comments posted below. I am so tired of seeing my kids watch spongebob! We have always watched Avatar. But recently we started watching Korra online since Nick stopped airing our favorite show to watch together :( … I think Nick is trying to land the next hannah montana. They need to realize who they really are & stick to what has worked for them in the past instead of trying to be Disney.

25. Carly says:

Nicks shows now are basically made up of butt jokes and have really weird and creepy animation. Seriously what happened.

26. Kody Digre says:

This show is to awesome for Nik. The Season 3 finale is amazing. If they aired this between episodes of spongebob kids just have their jaw drop…also maybe nightmares?

27. Brittany says:

I loved the avatar the last airbender and I love this show as well. It was shocking to find out that I had to watch it online but since this is one of my most watch shows.. I faithfully started to watch it online. I hope there will be a season 4 because it seems like most of my favorite shows are being cut off the air.

28. Catherine says:

The Legend of Korra is one of the few shows that I watched faithfully from the beginning. I remember when Book 2 came out and the time slot was Fridays at 8, the first thought I had was that they were sending the show to its death. So when the news came out about the show being digital only, I was not surprised, but still saddened. It was one of a handful of shows that I could watch with my child and not feel the need to cover her eyes or ears. The Book 3 finale was nostalgic of ATLAB and really showed Korra’s growth and development. The writing and animation for this show is phenomenal and I am glad that I am able to still see this show and that it was not cancelled. I understand that it is all about the dollar and sadly the shows that are well written, intriguing and entertaining do not bring in that much revenue for networks. That being said, Young Justice, which aired on Cartoon Network, was dealt an injustice. The show was awesome and the stories were well told. I wish that show had been given a chance to continue to air online instead of just being cancelled outright. I am glad that the ATLAB and TLOK creators Michael Dante Dimartino and Bryan Konietzko were given the chance to finish out TLOK and appreciative that I still get to enjoy their awesome work and imagination. I look forward to Book 4.

29. Zaire Taylor says:

Legend of Korra is like the best show in the world. Why would they remove it? Who doesn’t like this show? But if they are putting episodes online, I guess it’s fine for now… The way Nickelodeon treats this show is digusting an horrible. I am a huge Korra fan. This show is like best out of all shows on Nickelodeon.

30. philp says:

All this is the same as when young justice got cancelled on TV where they made a brilliant starting point for season 3. Yes the 2nd season finished but they left a massive cliff hanger at the end of it and just left it.

31. Dave says:

When i think ahead, i think that it’s a shame that we will never get to see the next avatar. The fact that we get a fourth season is amazing, however i honestly think, that now the portals are open, we could see a great increase in benders power in the life of the earth bending avatar. this could open up such a varied narrative, coupled with amazing bending and if the creators decided to go back to the way bending is presented in ‘the last airbender’ they could have a winner. All they need is the correct sound of lightning, and transform bending back into martial arts rather than ‘modern styles’ of fighting. i believe that greater bending power, greater villains and more destructive spirits would not only make a great avatar, but a greater series. But, the money men won’t allow this, which is unfortunate.

32. emily says:

i really hope there is a new season… the last season of book 3 was amazing the creators of the legend of korra are amazing people. thank you so much… :0

33. kevinvaik says:

As much as I love legend of korra, I must agree that it doesn’t have it’s place on a kid airing company television. However, nick should know that this is what pays their bill for quite a while. That and spongebob… The book 3 was fairly dark themed and the ending of the book 3 was CLEARLY not kid-show, it was a dark and really depressive ending, so yeah, I kinda get their decision.. I wasn’t aware of the fact nick.com existed and was on another website though. Glad I saw that now. lol

34. Paul David says:

Maybe Nick has something against a women of color…

• shantay says:

Korra is just about the only strong woman of color on kids’ TV that isn’t portrayed as narcissistic or some kind of ghetto. Who does nickelodeon expect girls to want to be when they grow up. a white girl who marries rich? seems like it.

35. Malina says:

i hate that its not on tv and is only 4 seasons! its not right i mean avatar the last airbender was longer. im just saying if they dont make a third avatar series im going to freak out!

36. Luis says:

What annoys me the most is that Korra gets a book 4 but the last airbender which was a much better show didn’t

• Travis says:

are you joking ? they both are great plus the last air bender had more episodes per book that legend of korra has