Comic-Con

Community @ Comic-Con: When Will the Greendale Gang Debut Online?

Community Comic-Con 2014 Season 6 Spoilers

Your Community is not getting gentrified.

The resurrected NBC comedy may have a new home on Yahoo Screen, but that’s the only thing different about it, creator Dan Harmon promised fans at the show’s Comic-Con panel on Thursday.

“The Community that [fans] recognize needs to be there,” Harmon said, insisting that he has no “big, highfalutin plans” for the weekly webisodes.

“My philosophy is: Attempt to make the same show, and let the lack of boundaries make themselves felt,” he said.” I don’t want to take the wheels off so much that people think, ‘This is a new show.’”

RELATED Community Lives! Season 6 to Air on Yahoo Screen

So when will the not-new new episodes hit the web? The writers don’t go back to work until the fall, so don’t expect new installments before Christmas — at the earliest.

Other highlights from the panel:

A SIXTH LIFE | How did the show survive to live another season? “I don’t know,” Harmon admitted. “I don’t know how Joel got me my job back for Season 5. Sony and Yahoo, they’re giant corporations. Their tentacles reach. Hail Hydra.” After some mixed feelings about the Yahoo option, Harmon decided, “Does it really matter where you’re doing this? I can’t be the one to not do this. Wherever the show is, people will find it… You’ll be watching this the way you always watched this – only now it’s legal.”

OH HAPPY DAY | Star Joel McHale said he had “no doubt that we would be back… Like a Japanese general in World War II, the only option was victory or suicide.” He added, “I was ready to do a regional theater version of the show.” McHale then noted that fans already watched the show on their phones’ and tablets’ tiny screens, not on live TV, and “Now we’re on one. So f–k you network television… unless they want us back.”

RELATED Community‘s Danny Pudi on Abed’s Impressions, Marvel Gigs

ROMANTIC INTERMINGLING 101 | Will Jeff hook up with Britta or Annie next season? “It’s on the Internet, so it’s probably Jeff and Dean now,” McHale joked. “Human beings fall in love,” Harmon chimed in. “Human beings have crushes. Human beings are sexual beings, which always complicates life in a… group of friends. It’s not just a workplace comedy. So centering it on one relationship would be the beginning of the end… You let these stories happen.”

HOLIDAY TREATS | Halloween and Christmas installments “might be tough” since the show’s streaming schedule has yet to be determined and the series wants to avoid having a Halloween episode go up in February, Harmon revealed.

SOS: SAVE OUR SCHOOL | Spoilers were sparse, but Harmon did reveal that Greendale Community College is “hanging in there. I like it as an underdog campus.”

1. Drew says:

#SixDownloadsAndAnAnimatedGif!

2. jo jo jo says:

Happy Days a comin

3. Angela says:

Another long wait *Sighs*. Ah, well. We fans did it with the last couple seasons, so we’ll just do it again now.
    Sounds like they’ve got a good mindset about how the show will be going forward, so that’s nice to know. I look forward to the show’s return!

• Adam Hauck says:

Yeah and at least it’s because of the writers needing time to get the show together, rather than it being an NBC thing.

• Angela says:

Exactly :). I’m glad they’re getting a chance to have some proper time to work out the episodes-I’m willing to wait if it means they’ll have more opportunity to give us excellent stuff to watch.

4. Joey Padron says:

Good stuff from their panel. Glad they got come back to Comic Con again. Can’t wait to see new episodes.

5. alistaircrane says:

Jeff and Annie forever!!!!

6. Alice says:

I hope Jeff/Annie get together this year!

• MWJ says:

After 3 seasons of it being dragged out after Jeff/Britta ended, Jeff/Annie really should happen now. And it doesn’t need to take over the show or anything like that, just an acknowledgement that they are together and the occasional B plot or C plot about the two of them, like their usual hijinks plots but actually admitting to the mutual attraction rather than sublimating it.

• Mel says:

I hope his comments mean romance is not a focal point. Jeff should be alone, they’ve hinted as much in previous seasons. But if he has to be with someone Annie makes the least amount of sense.

• wat says:

least? you do watch the show right?

• Mel says:

• Candice says:

I agree. I’ve never really cared for the Jeff and Annie subplot.

I’d prefer Jeff and the Dean. It would be more interesting.

• kidris90 says:

Huh? What show are you watching? Jeff is supposed to take Pierce’s life as a warning sign not to end up alone. And how is Annie the romantic partner who makes the least amount of sense? It’s been teased for 5 seasons. And as was confirmed by Ryan Ridley, the human burst of passion in Basic sandwich was caused by Jeff’s feelings for Annie, not the whole group. Harmon has even mentioned many times that Jeff and Annie have amazing chemistry.

• kidris90 says:

“Yes I’ve seen every episode. It makes no sense. His feelings for her, and hers for him, have been expressly compared to a father-daughter relationship on the show. I don’t know how you move forward from that. It seems that I’m in the minority as far as fan opinion.”

Mel, you’re misunderstanding the subtext there. Jeff is sometimes parental towards her, but as Harmon has said many times in interviews and commentaries on the dvds, his feelings for her first and foremost are that of someone who has romantic interest in her. They’re like Bogart and Hepburn from Sabrina. Very similar dynamic. They even kissed twice in season 1, and in the season 5 finale, his romantic passion for her causes the computer to come back to life. The writer of the episode, Ryan Ridley, confirmed that.

• Mel says:

That’s nice that they’ve put all that information out there. I still don’t see Jeff’s relationships with women as a focal point of the show. Annie and Jeff still make no sense in my opinion other than that’s what people want because it’s been five seasons and everyone wants to see Jeff domesticated. The point I was making in my original comment is that- Jeff is still figuring out his life and shouldn’t be dating.

• DCarlen says:

“Jeff is supposed to take Pierce’s life as a warning sign not to end up alone.”

And he’s not alone, he has the Study Group.

But more important is what is good for everyone in the group, not just Jeff. Annie, for instance, has been having this story arc where she becomes more independently minded. Harmon has compared her feelings for Jeff to a “school girl’s crush.” Her story arc ought to involve, and knowing Harmon probably WILL involve, learning to love herself as much as she wants others to. Having her validate her fantasies by dating Jeff would be a mistake.

• alistaircrane says:

I definitely agree. Jeff and Annie need to date and it doesn’t need to be a big deal, just like Elliot and JD on Scrubs.

• Margaery says:

Elliot and JD were kind of a BIG focus on scrubs.
          Janitor and Lady is a better model.
          Frankly I hope for none. The romances within the study group have always been the weakest plots.

• Mel says:

No, no, no. This is not a soap opera, please take your teenage fangirl dreams to a WB show or something.

• lol says:

A show doesn’t become a soap opera just because it decides to tackle romance. A theme which has been a prevalent part of the show since the pilot by the way.

• kidris90 says:

What an obnoxious comment. Romance on TV doesn’t make a show into a soap opera. Pretty much all sitcoms have romances. You sound like the sort of person who still thinks girls have “cooties.” It’s okay. Romance is not icky. It’s a natural part of life, and as Harmon said at Comiccon this year, the show is about human beings, and human beings fall in love.

• kidris90 says:

Mel, I find it very alarming that you think only teenage girls care about romance. Romance is part of growing up and has been featured on this show many times.

• S says:

I don’t think romance is what kills the show, rather the drama that comes with it. The biggest mistake for shows is to make a plot out of the drama of romance.