Once Upon a Time Casting Another Frozen Role — Who Should Fill It?

Once Upon a Time Cast Frozen HansA fourth character from filmdom’s Frozen will pop up on ABC’s Once Upon a Time this season.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Mystery: Who Is Elizabeth Mitchell Playing…?

Previously, the fairy tale-infused drama cast Georgina Haig (Fringe), Elizabeth Lail and Scott Michael Foster (Greek) as Queen Elsa, Anna and Kristoff, all in recurring roles. Now, TVLine has learned that in the third episode of Season 4 (premiering Sept. 28), we will also meet the TV series’ take on Anna’s onetime suitor, Hans.

In his mid-20s, Hans is described as “a well-bred prince with a serious chip on his shoulder,” a young man who burns to be king. (Mild spoiler alert for Frozen ahead!) Refined and well-spoken on the outside, Hans has a mean streak a mile wide and will do anything to claim the power and respect he thinks he deserves.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Is Planning a Makeover for [Spoiler]

Revisit the scalawag’s photo above, then hit the comments with your casting suggestions.

1. The producers say this does not count as a sequel to Frozen, but I think it should. It sounds like one.

2. StripedKramer says:

Keir O’Donnell

3. Chris says:

I’d say Luke Grimes because he feels entitled and demands respect, but I wouldn’t want the role to go to him.

• Drew says:

Did I miss a story where Luke Grimes acted entitled or demanded respect?

• Prada says:

maybe chris is talking about the story of Grimes leaving True Blood because the new direction of his character “James” in the new season (James is gay).

• Drew says:

Ah. But that’s not really acting entitled or demanding respect. Actors leave roles for different reasons all the time. It isn’t really a big deal. Tom Hanks refused to play left-handed for Apollo 13, and that was based on an actual person. I don’t get what the big deal was about Grimes leaving True Blood.

• Prada says:

the “big deal” is that his reasons seems to be a little homophobic, you know is like one day you love your job and then when they tell you that your character is going to be gay in the next season, you just freak out and refuse to do it and leave…that seems a little entitled or demanding respect given the fact that he’s not even that big name that is going to bring some viewers to the series. Tom Hanks in the other hand was a big name and a two time oscar winner at that time.

• Dude says:

I think people find his refusal to play gay insulting and/or homophobic but (assuming he quit because he didn’t want to kiss a guy) I just find it icky because it suggests that he needs some sexual thrill from his co-stars. It’s like, what’s next? No ugly chicks? He’s only going to play characters who bang supermodels now?

• Prada says:

i know right? it’s just stupid, ‘cuz you’re an actor and you’re supposed to want to play as many roles and characters with different stories and life choices, to show some kind of diversity and versatility to play any character that comes to you, look at the cast of Queer As Folk many of the actors playing gay characters were straight and you’ve to look at the scenes to think “d–m it that should be uncomfortable” but at the end of the day they’re actors and if Rufallo in The Normal Heart can play a gay man and make it credible, that says it all.

• Drew says:

Wow. Really. This is what we’ve come to? You guys are seriously playing fast and loose with the definition of “homophobia” if you think that his leaving the show comes anywhere close. He did nothing against gay people. He made a decision about his career and what he was and was not comfortable playing. Despite what you say, being an actor isn’t about doing whatever, whenever. Most actors have limits. The difference is what those limits are. The cast of Queer as Folk could be fine with performing gay sex scenes, and that’s great for them. But an actor choosing not to do something because they’re not comfortable with it is neither new, nor something to be frowned upon. There are actors who have no-nudity clauses. They are just as legit as any other actor. There are actors who refuse to do love scenes of any kind because they feel that it would violate their real life wedding vows. They are legit too. Some actors won’t wear fur. Some actors won’t say certain words. Some actors won’t relocate. There is a whole community of actors with different beliefs and limitations, and they’re all “real actors”.
            You seem to think that actors are one cookie-cutter thing. “Do as you’re told until you’re big enough to demand otherwise”, but that’s not how it is. The producers of True Blood changed the character after Grimes was signed on, thus making it difficult for him to have this discussion with them before he signed on. They should have been more open and more responsible about that, because if it’s not in the job description, people have a right to react badly to it.
            Grimes’ decision is not unusual. People turn down roles or leave roles for similar reasons all the time. The “homophobic” label is ridiculous. Not wanting to grind on a naked dude for however many hours it takes to shoot one of those scenes does not make him homophobic, and I think that your use of that term dilutes the true meaning of the word. I think this whole thing is just naive. People have different points of view. Why is this shocking? Why is this news?

• Drew says:

Just for reference, look up Neil McDonough. He is a well established and respected actor who also happens to be Catholic. Because of this, he doesn’t do love scenes. It has cost him jobs and money, but he has never been belittled in the media because of it. People still respect him quite a bit because he stands up for his values.

Luke Grimes is no different. He just has different limitations. Yet somehow, he has been demonized in the press. It is absurd.

4. Whatevah says:

I hope I get it since I’ve never seen Frozen.

5. kate jones says:

Tamoh Penikett

6. Grey says:

Sam Page

7. Luke says:

I’m sensing a possible suspect , responsible for locking Elsa in the bottle; he certainly would want revenge after the ending of Frozen and he may have very well worked with Rumple to trap her so that he can get her kingdom;

8. Max Irons but his IMDB looks pretty full.

9. Jo3y says:

James Lafferty would fit well

10. benny says:

Joel McHale….

11. Mike says:

Zachary Levi please…

• JLK says:

I find that a funny suggestion because I spent the whole movie thinking that he voiced the character. Hans sounded so much like Flynn Rider in Tangled to me at times that I was convinced Zachary Levi was the man behind the drawing.

• MelindaB says:

My daughter and I thought that it was Zac, too–in fact, we committed a movie-goer sin and looked it up on IMDB while in the theater. We were actually glad that it wasn’t him.

• Emily says:

Throughout the whole movie I was convinced Hans was voiced by Josh Dallas! Obviously he can’t play Hans on Once Upon a Time since he is already ON OUAT!

12. Jason says:

Josh Holloway

13. ally says:

chuck bass (ed westwick)

14. Lily says:

Please, let OUaT cast someone who can act, rather than just a generic pretty-boy. I may think, Disney’s Frozen is overrated, and this arc to be a cheap gimmick…. but Hans was just about the only saving grace, in the film. He was the villain, but he was not evil. He was more of a real-life prince, vs. a Disney prince. His plan was just a political game.

• marcus says:

No it wasn’t overrated at all and sure as hell this won’t be a cheap gimmick. I do agree about hans being a good villain though, even if for slightly different reasons.

15. Alyssa says:

David Henrie, perhaps?

16. Angela says:

While he’s a little old, he could pull off mid-20s… Alexander Skarsgard. :)

17. Steven says:

Chace Crawford

18. Becky says:

Max Brown!

19. Mandy says:

Matt Lanter from Star-Crossed and the newer 90210. Just saw a picture of him last week and he kinda looked like Hans. :)

• Lisa says:

Ooh, I totally see that! I agree, even though I have never watched the new 90210, he was one of the only reasons to watch Star-Crossed, and he is a voice actor as well (Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars).

20. Jas says:

Jared Padalecki even on sideburn game alone, [also he 's an amazing actor] I doubt it’ll happen since he’s busy with Supernatural but he’s who I would want to cast if he wasn’t on Supernatural or somehow went from main character to guest star. I guess this was a pointless comment but whatever. If you want a visual here’s an amazing edit: http://punziella.tumblr.com/post/80479987107/prince-hans-of-the-southern-isles-im-watching

21. Martina says:

Why not taking this one guy that had a leading role in Lost? (Forgot his name… Was it Josh Holloway?) [Irony off]
    As they seem to include as many roles as possible to employ old Lost actors (which bothers me….. are there no other actors outside? Half of the cast from Once used to work for Lost).

22. Leny1 says:

Kevin Zegers anyone?

23. LostonFringe says:

My picks for the Actor would be:
    Young Ben from LOST… Sterling Beaumon…my number one pick!!! PPLLLEEEAASSSEEE!!!
    Second pick is:
    From LOST Dylan Minnette (David Shephard). Of course I would also LOVE Josh Holloway or Seth Gabel but since everyone feels it will be a 20ish aged guy….please Sterling Beaumon! Guess that covers my LOST and Fringe fixation…can you tell I am VERY excited that Elizabeth Mitchell and Georgina Haig have joined the cast?????? Not too obvious, right????

24. James says:

Justin Hartley maybe.

25. Kelly says:

I was thinking Blair Redford.

26. Brittany says:

I think Armie Hammer is the clear choice.

27. Ceesha says:

Zachary Levi!!!

28. Jules says:

Travis Caldwell
    Drew Roy
    Jack Reynor
    Beau Mirchoff

29. Amy says:

I know he’s not mid-20’s but Dylan Bruce would be great…I love him as Paul on Orphan Black. other than that I’m at a loss other than that

30. TinLV says:

I wasn’t all that impressed with “Frozen”.. have seen many better animated movies from Disney. And I’m not really psyched to see a sequel played out on “Once”. but I’ll watch a couple of episodes to see if it works. Maybe I’ll like it better than the original… ..

31. Mackenzie says:

Thinking about it, it really sounds like David’s brother James.

32. Dan says:

I would rather have Olaf than Hans!!

33. webly3 says:

James Marsden.

34. Dude says:

Zachary Levi was my first thought.

35. Geo Maximus says:

Kevin Jonas

36. zaza says:

Sterling Knight.

• zaza says:

He’s not such a big star (like Armie Hammer) that they couldn’t get him, and he’s a part of the Disney family, so they probably own him. And he’s in the right age range (unlike Zach Levi or Josh Holloway), plus he has a sort of old-fashion, aristocratic face.

• Dani says:

I’m not a fan of this whole Frozen on OUAT thing BUT, Sterling was great on Sonny with a chance. I could see him as Hans for sure

37. Ashbash says:

And I think I now know how Elsa ended up in that bottle.

38. How about Justin Chatwin (previously on Shameless) or James Wolk (previously on The Crazy Ones)?

39. Gabriel Biel says:

could be Jonathan Groff

40. Loa says:

Liam Hemsworth

41. Joey says:

So many of the recommendations here are awful because people are picking decent actors that are way too old (and look it!) for the part. Might as well recommend that they cast Meryl Streep for the role.

42. Belle says:

Too bad this was not the 90s. Luke Perry would have been perfect. His sideburns alone had its own fan club. Ugh, great I have the song Let It Go in my head now.

43. Sam says:

Hans has always looked like Sam Jaeger to me.

44. Michael says:

Rupert Grint

45. J says:

Would Santino Fontana be too on the nose?

46. Davey Elmer says:

Who’s my pick to play Hans?

Eddie Redmayne.

47. Winnie says:

Jason Dohring

• Karen says:

I love Veronica Mars, but Jason looks nothing like Hans…

• Winnie says:

True, with fairy tales/Disney there is a likeness expectation, but sometimes it’s about attitude. I supported Emilie de Ravin as Belle because I knew she could sell it, but I don’t think she “looks like her” (subjective). Similarly, sometimes someone looks the part but is not a good fit. I trust the casting director/producers, but I still stand by my suggestion (wishful thinking and all that).

Zack Ward is 43. I know a dude who looks exactly like Prince Hans, but he cannot act. :)

48. Jason says:

Sam Huntington

49. Jenner says:

Anyone remember the guy from Kyle XY? Josh Dallas I think was his name? Such pretty eyes. He would be great for this character.

50. Mikael says:

I’m glad that they want to treat Frozen with respect, but it makes me bitter that they didn’t treat Tangled with the same respect. Rapunzel was such a throwaway. They could have used her better than a filler for a Charming episode.