Anthony Hopkins Boards J.J. Abrams' HBO Sci-Fi Pilot Westworld

Anthony Hopkins Westwood Pilot HBO

Quid pro quo: Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins joins HBO’s Westworld pilot, the sci-fi project gets even bigger buzz than it had before.

The Silence of the Lambs star’s potential first series regular TV gig will have him playing the man in charge of a futuristic theme park where robots go berserk and attack park guests, EW.com reports.

RELATED Bryan Cranston and Steven Spielberg Bringing Broadway’s All the Way to HBO

The pilot is inspired by Michael Crichton’s 1973 movie of the same name. Hopkins will play Dr. Robert Ford, the park’s head honcho who has “unorthodox methods” of bringing his visions to life.

Evan Rachel Wood (Once and Again) also has been cast in the pilot; she’ll play Dolores Abernathy, a sweet, Midwestern farm girl who has a very rude awakening during the series.

RELATED Report: True Detective Season 2 Eyeing Colin Farrell, Taylor Kitsch

The pilot was penned by Jonathan Nolan (Person of Interest) and Lisa Joy (Burn Notice); Nolan will direct and executive-produce alongside Joy, J.J. Abrams (Lost), Jerry Weintraub (Ocean’s Eleven) and Bryan Burk (Revolution).

Hopkins’ extensive film career includes roles in ThorNixon, Legends of the Fall and Lambs, which earned him an Oscar in 1992. Wood’s TV credits include HBO’s Mildred Pierce and True Blood.

1. So, it’s factual now? Everyone else was reporting it as rumor or wishful thinking.

2. Un discours de mariage rédigé en bon français, foncez!

3. CatInTheHat says:

I thought he starred with Elizabeth Montgomery in the tv-movie Dark Victory way back when? So this wouldn’t be his 1st tv gig if I remember correctly. Can anyone else remember that or am I losing it? lol…

4. Moment says:

I’m quite interested in this series, the team behind it is fantastic. And even better that it’s on cable, it’ll likely go the distance.

5. Austin says:

Since he’s made the move to TV, I want to see him guest star as Hannibal’s father on Hannibal.

• Aprilcot says:

That would be amazing! If they stick with the original back story, Hannibal’s father is long dead, but the show deviates from the books’ mythology just enough that they could make this happen. PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

6. AnnieM says:

Well, Yul Brynner scared the crap out of me as the Gunfighter when I was a kid. I hope this show will do the same!

7. AnnieM says:

Where is your fact-checker? Mr Hopkins has done a TON of television. Please see the IMDB for his many, many made-for-TV movies and miniseries roles over the past 40 years.

• Fran says:

I think they mean his first role as a TV series regular, not his first one on TV ever. They should have clarified that better.

8. Tierna says:

Wow, this sound just like another Crichton novel, only with robots instead of dinosaurs! Also, I’m not sure anyone would buy Evan Rachel Wood as “a sweet, Midwestern farm girl”, but we’ll see.

9. Bark Star says:

A lot of talent attached to this project. Lets hope they can all cancel out Abrams incompetence.

10. Mitch Friedland says:

This was tried once before! The tv series “Beyond Westworld” on CBS

11. christine says:

Yea to Hopkins and Evan Rachel Wood!

12. christine says:

It appears that ERW will be playing a robot based on her character description on Deadline.com. Dolores learns that her whole life is a lie. She believes she is a sweet midwestern farm girl…..I bet she is going to be very unhappy.

• Jake says:

So the plot is really “Westworld” meets “Terminator”, in that rather than a programming malfunction, the robots are sentient and turn on the humans?

13. leahbh says:

I really don’t like that they’re doing this. That’s one of my favorite movies from my favorite writer.