Gracepoint EPs: Fox Series 'Diverges In Significant Ways' From Broadchurch

Gracepoint Season 1 PreviewThe Gracepoint producers are out to copy the success of the UK series Broadchurch — with some major tweaks.

“The first order of business was, ‘Don’t screw up what works,’ because [Broadchurch] was fantastic,” executive producer Dan Futterman said Sunday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “We didn’t want to break what was working. But we also wanted to raise this show in a different country.”

VIDEO Fall TV: Watch Trailers for Fox’s Gracepoint, Backstrom, Empire and Other New Series

As such, the first two episodes play almost the exact same beats as the original drama. “We did consider different starting places, different ideas for the first episode,” exec producer Carolyn Bernstein revealed. “The way that the story was told [in Broadchurch] was so well done, why would we contort ourselves? It really felt like the smartest, best launching pad.”

But by the third or fourth episode, “It really diverges in significant ways from the original,” Bernstein promised.

RELATED Fox’s Fall Schedule: Gotham on Monday, Bones‘ Big Move, Brooklyn Nine-Nine Cops New Sunday Slot

Added Futterman: “We end in a very different place,” one that sets up a potential Season 2. With a different killer than its predecessor…? “I don’t think you should rule anybody out as a suspect,” Futterman warned.

Meanwhile, star David Tennant was drawn to playing the same character in two projects for one simple reason. “What I can’t get enough of is good writing,” the actor said, adding that he sees his two incarnations of Det. Emmett Carver as “very different.”

Gracepoint debuts Thursday, Oct. 2 at 9/8c on Fox.

1. paul says:

Sorry but you can’t improve on the best and the BBC production of Broadchurch was the best! I won’t be watching the Fox version, no matter if it does deviate from the original.

• Stinky Feet Lover says:

Then you might be missing out on another great show! That is the dumbest thing and crappiest attitude! Must suck to have that personality and attitude on things. What a shame!!

• Simon Jester says:

Yes, the original Broadchurch was good… but it had nothing to do with the BBC. Broadchurch was made by ITV.

• DV Crawford says:

BBC didn’t make it. And for all you know it could turn out better. The same writer and director as Broadchurch should be a huge clue. I’m very happy I’m not so narrow-minded I can’t enjoy a variation.

• DV Crawford says:

I’d also like to know how it is that Chibnall can’t improve his own story. He wrote both and saud the Gracepoint story “was always there”, his words, not mine.

2. webly3 says:

I loved the original and I’m excited to see where this one will go.

3. Babybop says:

I don’t really want them to change the killer… I think the way it was done was so powerful, I can’t imagine anyone else being guilty and having it be as good.

4. charlie says:

Wasn’t David Tennant’s character named Alec Hardy?

5. dee123 says:

“one that sets up a potential season 2″ See this a problem right here.Good shows can only be for one season.

6. meg says:

I’m apprehensive about this because Broadchurch was such a stellar show… but I will watch anything to have David Tennant on my TV again. 😁

7. Season 2? Really? The EP’s have seen/ heard of “The Killing” S1 and S2, right?

8. Song4Ten says:

Broadchurch was fantastic. The only thing that will make Gracepoint better is if DT gets a shave and a haircut. :)

9. Bobbi says:

Anything with David Tennant should be great. If not, I’m jumping in the Tardis and leaving (thank you, Doctor #10!).

10. yurie says:

“What I can’t get enough of is good money”
    Fixed David Tennant’s quote lol

• LenaR says:

Ain’t that the truth. Take the money and run. Thought he had already sold his soul to Richard Branson for those odious Virgin commercials!

• DV Crawford says:

I’m not that cynical and don’t want to be. He needs to open doors here in the US and this is a great way to do it. Are you trying to say you wouldn’t? Because if you are I won’t believe you.

11. Linderellabelle says:

I am so looking forward to this. The original Broadchurch was, well, original and that can only happen once. But watching David Tennant’s take on a reengineered DI Hardy will be a sight to behold. I only wish Olivia Colman could also revisit DS Ellie Miller in the new iteration. At least we’ll have Season 2 of the ITV version to enjoy if the stateside show falls flat.