TCA Awards 2014: Good Wife, OITNB, True Detective, Veep, Breaking Bad, RuPaul Among Winners

TCA Awards 2014

This should take some of the sting out of that Emmy snub.

The Good Wife won the best drama series prize at Sunday’s 2014 Television Critics Association Awards, besting Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Americans and House of Cards.

RELATED Emmys 2014: The Complete Nominations List

Breaking Bad, however, did not go home empty-handed; the TCA honored the show’s final eight-episode run with the Program of the Year prize (the second consecutive year it won the top award).

True Detective scored two wins, for best movie/miniseries and Individual Achievement in Drama for leading man Matthew McConaughey. Veep also walked off with two trophies, for best comedy (tying with Louie) and best individual performance in a comedy for Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

PHOTOS | Emmys 2014: The 43 Biggest Snubs

In one of the evening’s biggest surprises, Logo’s RuPaul’s Drag Race triumphed over The Amazing Race, Shark Tank, Survivor and The Voice to win best reality series.

Here’s the full list of nominees (* denotes winner).

Program of the Year
*Breaking Bad (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
The Good Wife (CBS)
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
True Detective (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
* Louie (FX)
The Mindy Project (Fox)
* Veep (HBO)

Individual Achievement in Comedy
Louis C.K., Louie (FX)
Mindy Kaling, The Mindy Project (Fox)
* Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama
The Americans (FX)
Breaking Bad (AMC)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
House of Cards (Netflix)
* The Good Wife (CBS)

Individual Achievement in Drama
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (CBS)
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black (BBC America)
* Matthew McConaughey, True Detective (HBO)
Matthew Rhys, The Americans (FX)

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information
CBS Sunday Morning (CBS)
* Cosmos (Fox)
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)
Frontline (PBS)
60 Minutes (CBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming
The Amazing Race (CBS)
* RuPaul’s Drag Race (Logo)
Shark Tank (ABC)
Survivor (CBS)
The Voice (NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming
Adventure Time (Cartoon Network)
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood (PBS)
*The Fosters (ABC Family)
Sesame Street (PBS)
Switched at Birth (ABC Family)

Outstanding New Program
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)
Fargo (FX)
* Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
True Detective (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials
American Horror Story: Coven (FX)
Broadchurch (BBC America)
Fargo (FX)
The Returned (SundanceTV)
* True Detective (HBO)

Career Achievement Award
Mark Burnett
* James Burrows
Valerie Harper
Jay Leno
William Shatner

Heritage Award
Lost (ABC)
* Saturday Night Live (NBC)
South Park (Comedy Central)
Star Trek (NBC)
Twin Peaks (ABC)

1. Rebecca Parker says:

The way these categories are put together makes no sense. So Breaking Bad wins Program of the Year, which encompasses ALL shows, but loses in just the Best DRAMA category? I mean, I’m thrilled for The Good Wife, but it makes no sense.

And while it’s interesting to put men and women in the same category acting-wise, it just limits the amount of nominations possible, which I’m not a fan of considering how much excellent acting there is out there.

• Sara says:

It is limiting, but I still prefer this nominees list to the Emmys because Mindy, Tatiana, Rhys & Good Wife are nominated

• Dan says:

They could make Breaking Bad the best drama, but it actually goes bigger than that in terms of the whole picture. It’s the best overall show, the one who should be celebrated. That one aside, who should be nominated specifically for best drama, best comedy and best new show? Now, that’s a slightly different conversation, you see?

• I think these are much probably the best-designed categories of any acting award. “program of the year” doesn’t imply it’s just given to the all-encompassing best show; it could just indicate zeitgeist. Best drama can be best drama without having anything to do with the greater world. Don’t you think that’s the difference between Breaking Bad and The Good Wife?

I also think using “outstanding achievement” is great wording, because we are literally watching the entire package of what the actor/actress brings to the table over the entire season, even the whole series.

And I would argue that each year we really can just narrow the field down to 4 or 5 nominees for both male and female. Let’s say Jim Parsons may be consistently excellent, but the award is not awarding absolute achievement; it’s always seen in the context of “how excited we are about this thing.” That’s why The Good Wife gets an extra look this year, because more people got excited about it again, in spite of the same strengths and weaknesses all along (IMO).

If you feel that’s not PC enough you can always do what the oscars did and make it 10 or 15 nominees, but I would say that negates the point of awarding performances. I have no objection to the concept that there are tons of brilliance on Earth but an award show is not the right place for that.

• Dan says:

Exactly. When I said “bigger” and “whole picture”, I meant zeitgeist. About the grouping, I don’t know what to think yet. On one hand, creating separate categories would allow more absolute recognition. One male winner, one female winner, we celebrate both, more people are happy. On the other hand, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to separate male and female for one same type of show. I mean, why ever do that? In the wise words of Ms. Chanandler Bong, “we’re all people”. So, I’m on the fence on that one, listening to arguments.

2. Dan says:

This is probably the only awards things I care about, in terms of actually care to follow the results and checking the shows. I do watch the Emmys and GG and Oscars and all, but just for the show. In terms of best TV at the moment, I’d rather trust the critics as a whole and haven’t been let down yet.

3. J says:

I didn’t watch “True Detective” but I feel like Bryan Cranston or Tatiana Maslany should have won instead of Matthew McConaughey. Other than that, the winners seem about right (especially “The Good Wife.” SO glad they got some kind of recognition. Season 5 is probably one of, if not THE best complete season of any drama in broadcast TV history.)

• Simon Jester says:

I was pretty cynical about McConaughey doing TV, but he was in fact AMAZING in True Detective.

• anna says:

he was amazing but bryan cranston’s final season as walter white was impeccable. he should have won over mcconaughey, but I guess he has more buzz now.

• Lizo says:

He was amazing in True Detective. But ultimately for me it comes down to the fact that sure he brought a character to life brilliantly…Tatiana brings at least 5 characters to life (plus guest clones) brilliantly. FIVE!

• Simon Jester says:

I love Tatiana, and appreciate that she’s able to bring a distinctiveness to a number of different roles simultaneously… but for depth of feeling and performance, I wouldn’t have given her the award over either McConaughey or Cranston in this category.

4. Jerry says:

I don’t necessarily want all awards show to group the men and women together, but it’s always very interesting to see the results when they are indeed grouped together.

5. awnb95 says:

Like the list of nominees, but don’t care for the winners. Don’t watch any of those shows. Most shows I watch don’t get nomination.

6. DW says:

The Good Wife surely deserves this award. The level of sophisticated acting, writing, directing and production values on TGW is beyond great. The EMMY voters must be loaded.

7. Lizo says:

That’s awesome for RuPaul and The Fosters!!!! And it was awesome that Switched at Birth got nominated too.

8. azu says:

I know I’ll be called a philistine for this but the good wife and breaking bad became difficult for me to continue watching last season. Just got bored with them!! Also tried to watch TRUE detective but mathew’s acting or something else just didn’t excite me enough to continue!!!

9. KC says:

Sorry, but I don’t consider shows on HBO, FX and Logo the same as “network” TV (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). They are complete different and should have separate awards. Network TV has a lot more rules and regulations about what can be shown and at what hour. I’m sure if there were not restrictions on swearing, sex, violence and blood, some of the network shows might have won.

• Fran says:

Hmmm, I agree that network shows don’t get a fair chance…. But I don’t think its only because of the lack of sex and swearing. A show doesn’t have to have those things to be good. Sometimes it makes it more realistic but I don’t think that’s the main reason. I’d say it was more due to the length of the seasons. Network TV seasons are so long and they have a lot of time to fill, while cable’s shorter seasons allow them to tell a much tighter story without all that filler. But that’s just my opinion. It IS a shame though. There are quite a few network dramas that deserve more recognition.

10. shannon says:

TATIANA MASLANY should have won the individual achievement in drama. She’s an amazing actor who has to play over 8 different characters, and be multiple personalities. Her work is amazing and i admire tatiana for that. She deserved that award so much.

11. dancmh says:

Very, Very happy Drag Race got some love. It’s one of the funniest, most entertaining shows on TV today.

12. Gerry Haines says:

They have never brought Rookie Blue to TCA, which amazes me. A show that has held up their Thursday night line up for the summr.

13. I love RuPaul’s Drag Race. Glad it won.