Jane the Virgin EPs Justify Edgy Title, Promise a Comedy About 'Morality'

Jane the Virgin Preview

The cast and executive producers of The CW’s Jane the Virgindescribed as “Ugly Betty meets Gilmore Girls” — assembled Friday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour to explain their “whimsical” new comedy to the press.

RELATED Fall TV First Impression: Jane the Virgin

The show’s title, of course, was one of the first things up for discussion.

“We knew it had edge to it,” executive producer Ben Silverman admitted, clarifying that CW President Mark Pedowitz was always a supporter of the title. “But the moment you see the show, you see it’s all about thoughtfulness and morality. It really is a show that, once you watch it, you recognize it’s very deep and broad appeals to all different people going through things in their own life.”

For those worried that Jane and her family will allow the hospital to get off scot-free — Jane is accidentally artificially inseminated in the pilot — fear not. There will be repercussions.

“I find it incredibly difficult to imagine [someone] who gets artificially inseminated who doesn’t sue,” executive producer Jennie Snyder Urman clarified. “We’re going to explore that, [but] Jane is a very good person, and she’ll struggle with that.”

Star Gina Rodriguez said she’s been waiting for the character of Jane to come along for years, wanting to “liberate” young Latina girls and show them they can be more than the media portrays them. She actually passed on a role on Lifetime’s Devious Maids because she found it “limiting.”

“There are other stories that need to be told,” Rodriguez explained. “The media is a venue and an avenue to educate and teach our next generation.” Her assertion that she was thrilled to be playing a character who can be a “size me,” rather than size zero, was met with huge applause.

And despite the show’s English-heavy promos, Jane’s family’s heritage will play a huge role moving forward, especially in the way her grandmother relates to the rest of her family.

“I love that she speaks Spanish in the pilot, and that her daughter and granddaughter talk back to her in English,” Snyder Urman said. “She’s certainly going to speak Spanish in the show.”

1. ... says:

The knock on Devious Maids is a little disappointing. Of the five original maids, one got out of the profession, two are using it as a stepping stone to bigger things, one has been tied up in immigration issues, and one has possibly the strongest friendship on the show with her client. Yes, there should be Latin-centric shows that aren’t built around a premise like Devious Maids, but A) the show has done a lot to tweak the stereotype (both in terms of self-aware comedy and interesting drama) and B) the success of a show like Devious Maids could pave the way for more diverse programming.

• GeoDiva says:

Couldn’t agree more with your observations of Devious Maids. I don’t consider it a “Latina” show anymore. It is funny and the relationships between the main ladies are great and their relationships with their bosses has really grown.

• johnhelvete says:

Buzzfeed has the entire quote of what Gina Rodriguez actually said. It is very interesting and perhaps you should check it out.

2. Eli says:

It looks like a show that was rejected by Hallmark and then went to WB who changed it to a more “diverse” cast. Ugh.

3. GARBAGE! I can’t wait to see how hard this is going to crash & burn in the fall!

4. Briggs says:

it was originally a Spanish telenovella. No kidding. I’m happy that they’ll re-air the pilot later in the week so I can actually try it out instead of waiting a week to see what happened, online. Mondays are a social night for me. :)

5. Ally Oop says:

I for one am really looking forward to Jane. Out of the 11 new shows I think I’ll like in the fall, it is my favourite. I hate the title but the promos and premise interest me. Unfortunately, the timeslot really sucks.

6. Ginger Lee says:

There’s nothing edgy about the title or plot. I’m tired of that buzzword now! Its become a synonym for campy, lame, lazy and predictable.

7. fangirl says:

Wait, so she gets basically raped and forcefully impregnated – yet then she has to ponder if she wants to sue, because she is such “a good person”? I guess the producer confuses “dumb, good girl who does as told” with a good person. Two very different things. I hate to think that the morality may indeed refer to the tired abortion-debate. It somewhat made sense that the teen of THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER went through with her pregnancy because it was her doing and then her choice, but for a virgin to go through with a pregnancy that’s the result of a rape?

And it’s a comedy, because violating women and watching them being dumb enough to even consider living with it is hilarious! Then again, they seem kinda confused re: what the show is as evidenced by the above somewhat confused, messy article hat has a hard time explaining what the show is about.

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that it’s actually the CW that thinks that a cross between Ugly Betty and Gilmore Girls (by now they’re dusty old shows which belong to a different era) is a good idea. In 2014. On the CW. It’s great that they want to do something other than supernatural series, but this doesn’t sound like it belongs on the formerly cool network. Something like FINDING CARTER or a better localized adaptation/version of CHASING LIFE would be more up the CW alley than what this sounds like.

• Briggs says:

Being one that watched the extended trailer, Jane was supposed to be in for a pap smear. If you’ve never had one, look it up. I’m not going to explain it here, other than to say it’s invasive enough that I can see where she wouldn’t know the difference, especially if she’d never had a pap smear before. And yes, virgins do get pap smears, because there’s stuff that can happen in there that has nothing to do with sexual activity.

That in mind (I can say from personal experience that I felt a little violated after I had my pap smear done), finding out she’s pregnant is going to be a bit of a shock. I can see her knowing that they didn’t mean to, it just got mixed up with a procedure that was equally as invasive as what she was in for. Now, the doctor mixing them up, I find hard to believe, but it’s based on a soap opera, so I’ll let it go.

That being said, she *does* have the right to sue.

• Fangirl says:

You’re missing my point completely. I’m not so much referring to the mechanics of the procedure itself as to the fact that she’s inseminated and impregnated with *some guy’s sperm*. It may not make much of a difference to you personally, but I find that extremely icky and rapey.

Furthermore, I think it’s awful that we already got a number of rape-fantasy like storylines with pregnancies such as in Rosemary’s Baby, American Horror Story, Falling Skies. Not sure wth is going on in Extant. To me, it’s crossing a line. At the same time, men don’t ever have to worry that we get to see stuff happen to their privates, for example. THAT line seems to be visible to anyone. Curious why that is. Because men are so squeamish? They’d cross their legs, feel uncomfortable and would run for the hills. But a woman’s body is a free-for-all.

There is nothing comparable that would violate a man in the same profound way in which this kind of scenario violates a woman. So completely, physically and emotionally and for the whole world to see and talk about. So life-changing. Nothing. And that many people still don’t get that is painful to observe, to say the least.

• G. says:

I don’t really have any suggestions for how to deal with your blinding misandry, except that you need to talk to a mental health professional about it.

You’ve got issues. And not a chip on your shoulder, but the White Cliffs of Dover on them.

As for Jane the Virgin, Jane was artificially inseminated by a female doctor with donated sperm … I really have not heard of woman-on-woman impregnation being a standard “rape fantasy” thing. I’m clearly not as much of an expert on the subject as you purport to be, but … yeah, you’re really reaching there.

I haven’t the faintest idea what you are going on about.

• Briggs says:

I stopped arguing with her because her views seemed nonsensical. But thank you for responding, I don’t feel so alone, now.

• kashmere says:

I don’t know you but I think you’ve been through something. The way people are trying to have a family now a days is how janes mistake happened and could actually happen. Even the best doctors could be stressed and make a mistake. Nobody is perfect. I myself love the show and so don’t my 7 children.

8. Miles Lartch says:

have not laughed out loud at a show in years, and i mean full belly laughs. loved the show.