TNT Renews Major Crimes and Last Ship; Falling Skies Gets Final Season

Falling Skies Cancelled

Much good news coming out of TNT this Friday morning, in the form of early pick-ups for both Major Crimes and The Last Ship.

The alien invasion drama Falling Skies meanwhile has been renewed for a fifth and final 10-episode season.

RELATED Major Crimes Scoop: Meet Raydor’s Son! (But What’s His Take on Rusty?)

The Last Ship has become this summer’s top drama among key adult demos with its epic scale and visceral storytelling. Major Crimes continues to be one of the most enduring and popular crime-drama franchises on television,” TNT programming chief Michael Wright said in a statement. “And Falling Skies has begun an ambitious and thrilling story arc this summer as it sets the stage for next year’s climactic final season.”

RELATED Battlestar Alum Jamie Bamber Books a Killer Rizzoli & Isles Arc

A spin-off of TNT’s successful The Closer, Major Crimes will be back for a 15-episode Season 4, while the Michael Bay-steered Last Ship‘s sophomore voyage has been upped from 10 to 13 total episodes.

1. m. says:

What about “Rizzoli & Isles”?

2. Thank God Falling Skies Season 5 is the Final Season. The show is such a joke right now. Only watching because since it’s so bad, it’s really funny.

• J.B. says:

Sadly I have to agree with this. When I started watching the new season I was like, “What the…did I miss some episodes or something because this doesn’t look like the show I watched last summer?”
      The time jump felt like they didn’t know where to go anymore so they tried a semi soft reboot.

• KevinK says:

You are both so on. I too thought maybe I had missed an episode when I saw the premiere. It is bizarre especially the “Lexi town” storyline. It seems like they have more special effects this season…must have spent the money on those that they could’ve spent on writers.

• Andrew says:

Funny… I thought the exact same thing, so I stopped watching it. That whole Hitler-youth storyline was just uncomfortable to watch. Now that I know it will officially end, maybe I will try to catch up with on-demand.

• LaLucci says:

The Lexi as a God and the Hitler Youth Plot Lines are something out of really bad 80s Sci Fi. The Show had a couple of good seasons but they have ruined it. The Lexi character and actress are the worst…who thought that was a good idea? The writing really makes me not care about any of the characters and the actors all seem like they are ready to move on.

• James Wilson says:

Yeah, you are right. It reminded me of “Galactica 1980,” a really poor show compared to the original and the 2003 remake of “Battlestar Galactica.”

• Jerry says:

Yeah, I stopped after the premiere this season. So the question will be if I need to bother with this season or if I can just read a quick synopsis and start with next season.

• MelindaB says:

My husband and I loved the first season, but the show has devolved over the seasons into a confusing, convoluted mess. We’re only watching out of stubbornness, I think. When they started setting up the Ben/Maggie interest, I groaned. And now Anne has some kind of dream premonition/prescience thing going on? Not to mention the “Nazi Youth” storyline.

• Steve F. says:

Man, what happened to the summer show that I loved? The first two seasons were great, Season 3 added the Volm (and everyone didn’t seem like they were in danger as much as before), and this season… blecch.

The one good thing about Falling Skies getting a final season is so they can wrap everything up with the invasion. (I just hope Lexi goes before then… seriously, did the writers get that idea from the original “V” TV series?)

• SK says:

Sad to see I’m not the only one glad that Falling Skies is getting a final season.
      It didn’t bother me much that they jump far ahead at the start of every season since they’ve done that in the past but what really bothered me this time is the Lexi thing. I mean, she clearly looked Asian when she was growing up and then for her to look Caucasian? No Asian features at all! Someone had said before that they want to have a Daenarys with the extremely blond hair. I could have accepted the blond hair if the actress had some Asian features.
      Anyway, I still watch because I invested a lot of my time to it already. Hopefully, the final season means they WILL wrap it up and not leave some loose ends hanging in the hopes that they can have some special 2 hour movie in the future. That would really s-ck!

• Abu Numidia says:

I tend to agree…The fist few seasons were at least plausible but then the show when from far fetched to jus plain wacky. Science Channel’s Alien Encounters is a far more sober, realistic and plausible enactment of a global health encounter with extraterrestrials.

3. Michelle says:

Hope the renew Rizzoli & Isles for a 6th season.

4. csr says:

Great news!

5. J.B. says:

So happy for “Major Crimes”. The show just keeps getting better.

6. lore says:

I’m glad Falling Skies is coming to an end if only because I’d like, just for once, to see a proper, crafted, end to a televised story! Too often, it seems like TV shows tell reactive stories: someone is leaving, how do we write off the character; there was a terrible world event, we have to go in a different direction; a showrunner leaves and the new person has a completely different take on the show; etc.

Falling Skies isn’t brilliant TV, but it tells a solid story and seems constrained only by its budget. If the writers can’t create a satisfying wrap-up that answers most of our questions in 10 episodes, they’ve been overpaid for 5 years. ^_^

7. wrstlgirl says:

Falling Skies needs to wrap up. It’s running out of story IMO. Not sure what’s so “ambitious and thrilling” about this season. It’s kinda stupid but now that I know it’s ending I’ll stick with it.

Really enjoying The Last Ship and happy for the renewal.

8. kate says:

Falling Skies started so strong and has gone completely sideways from the last quarter of last season forward. Lexi went from interesting mystery plot point to over the top not interesting major character who feels totally contrived, Tom’s become a Gary Stu in every way but his treatment of Pope (the most interesting character in the thing) and mid-20s Maggie is going to be sleeping with mid-teens Ben, and ughhh….glad it’s wrapping up.

• Falling Skies was never good from the beginning.

• M3rc Nate says:

I’d argue it was. There wasnt a show on TV doing the Alien Invasion through war angle (closest would be V that did Alien invasion through politics/small moves). It was over all pretty realistic in how stuff would had happened if a Alien invasion happened in that way. Groups of humans getting together, forming a chain of command, military (retired, etc) taking lead roles, finding some guns, trying to fight, the characters were original and good (professor, Anne was a cool doctor with great chemistry with the Prof, oldest kid was good, middle was meh and harnessed, youngest was meh alright, Lordis was fine, Karen was badass, a cool GF and character). So i’d say overall the first season was good.

• M3rc Nate says:

Amen. If she sleeps with Ben im done, from then on im hate watching if that. Whats sad is its ALL on the network….they keep firing showrunners and replacing them and firing the entire writing staff (its been done twice) and so these new writers come in…and say lets do new stuff, and we end up with this season…it feels like a ENTIRELY different show, it feels completely disconnected from the previous seasons, everything in this season sucks (love triangle, Lexi, Anne going commando mom, hitler style youth camp, etc). I mean wow. I dont think they could have written worse and disappointed fans more if we had started a Kickstarter giving them $100,000 if they write the worse season of Falling Skies possible.

9. HDTVMAN says:

Major Crimes needs to get rid of Rusty. He adds NOTHING to the series.

• Kim R says:

I can’t believe you said this.

• KevinK says:

When he first was added to the cast I didn’t like him but now he is one of my favorite parts in the show. Graham Patrick Martin does a great job.

• Aimee says:

He doesn’t add to the story as much as he use to when the murder trial was still going on but he does contribute to the series. His interactions with the team alone are worth his presence. I love how he brings out the protective side of everyone in the group…especially Provenzia. Also, he brings a different perspective to the crimes. We get to see his point of view on these horrible murders. He is kind of the proxy for the audience. It affects him more that the jaded cops who have built up a resistance to it.

• DL says:

At this point I’ve really come to like his character. Brenda always had Fritz to play off of and give a window into her home life, and Rusty fills that niche for Sharon. I think he’s a necessary component of the show, and I’m enjoying the whole development of him becoming a real son to her.

• dee123 says:

Sure. that’s why the ratings ARE GOING UP!

10. JBC says:

Really enjoying Major Crimes, The Last Ship & Rizzoli & Isles so happy for the renewal of MC & LS and am sure R&I won’t have a problem getting renewed. TNT is now my go to network for great shows.

• Angie says:

I agree TNT is the place to go for shows. I don’t even watch the ‘MAJOR CHANNEL” shows anymore. I would rather watch reruns on TNT. The shows on the major channels are worth nothing, imo. I just stick to TNT & I am happy–most evenings that is:) There are one or two evenings when I go to A & E or USA or ION–other that that,
      it is TNT for me. Enjoy your evenings people.

• I completely agree with you. A lot of the major network shows have gone downhill for me. My two favorite shows right now are MC and R & I. The acting on both shows is utterly fantastic! I’m sure (or at least hoping) that R & I will be renewed for another season.

Since you mentioned ION, I enjoy so many of the shows they are running. Flashpoint (I don’t think it’s on anymore) was great to watch and I love the Leverage reruns. I even like the Criminal Minds reruns, especially the earlier seasons.

Anyway, thanks TNT for the great programming you are giving your viewers!

11. Doris says:

Love Major Crimes! Renewal is great news. Also getting in The Last Ship. Way 2 go TNT!

12. Dean says:

Gonna be sad to see falling skies go. But five seasons is better than none

13. Ali Sr says:

Major Crimes – YAY‼️ Congratulations & continued success; LuvU guys-cast & crew👍
    ❤️ McDonalds 😘❤️

14. Joey Padron says:

Happy Falling Skies got renewed but sad show is gonna end next season. Glad show have a good run on TV. Gonna miss show when it ends next year.

15. Deion says:

A Falling Skies ending possibly means more Noah Wylie sightings on The Librarians. I’m here for that.

16. Tina says:

I am thrilled Major Crimes was renewed. Absolutely adore the dynamics of Mary McDonnell, Tony Denison & GW Bailey. The experience these seasoned actors bring to the screen is wonderful to watch.
    Loving this season so far!

Also getting into The Last Ship! Great show!!

17. So happy to hear about Major Crimes’ renewal! It is one of my favorite shows. Now, I need to know about Rizzoli & Isles and Perception. Let TNT we’re waiting! ;o)

18. Scott says:

I wonder if they’re splitting the seasons of Falling Skies. If remember correctly they ordered 20 episodes for the current season. So they could be splitting the episodes into 2 seasons worth.

19. Aimee says:

Not really surprised as both Major Crimes and The Last Ship have been doing really well ratings wise. Still, it’s nice to see it in writing. I am always happy for more Major Crimes. I need my Flynn, Provenzia, and Cho fix.

20. I feel bad for the actors but this show had issues.

21. I like The Last Ship, but I was excited when I thought it was a 10 episode “event series.” I’m afraid it will turn into Under The Dome.

22. Tina M Davis says:

The girl on the last ship, please make her fall off the ship

• patioprincess says:

That would be fun. She’s such a bossy harpy (most unlikeable character on the ship) I kind of wish Adam Baldwin’s character would sell her off to the Alliance (Russians)

23. Coal says:

If from the very first season a you find a show is not to you liking then why continue to watch it then ? Anyway its good to see that Falling Skies will have a end game in sight even if ending aren’t always satisfactory. Lost, How I met your mother, The Hunger Games trilogy.

24. Moment says:

I’m genuinely surprised Falling Skies was renewed at all. The drop in ratings from Season 3 -> 4, combined with how expensive the show is to produce all but sealed its fate in my eyes. TNT should be commended for giving the show a final season, considering it has stabilized at a 0.8 and just over 2 and a half million viewers. With 8 episodes left, it has room to drop more..

25. kandrew4900 says:

I can’t believe NBC would cancel both Crisis and Revolution, they were great shows, I am very disappointed in NBC, I might even boycott watching NBC, but because I love Grimm and the Blacklist so much I guess I can’t boycott the station, I don’t understand tv, stations will cancel good shows, but stupid stuff they keep on the air, it makes no sense to me at all.

• TV Gord says:

Why would you boycott a network that shows good business sense? The shows tanked in the ratings, so they couldn’t justify keeping them around. I loved Crisis, but if not enough people are watching, that’s the way it works. I trudged through the first season of Revolution, but after watching the second season premiere (which was just more of the same), I couldn’t take it anymore. From my perspective, Revolution has no one to blame but itself for its fate.

• 'A' Has Spoken says:

This article isn’t even about those shows OR NBC for that matter.. Why are you mentioning that here?

26. hello says:

No show should run more than 5 seasons so this makes me happy

27. TV Gord says:

I’m glad to see that The Last Ship is coming back. I’m enjoying it so far. I didn’t have high hopes for its survival, because there certainly is a glut of post-apocalyptic television these days. It’s starting to get tedious.

28. JWB says:

I guess murder in the 1st is one and done. I liked it for a summer show. Last Ship is dumb fun but I enjoy it.

29. J says:

Really enjoy Major Crimes and love Raydors relationship with Rusty

30. I’m excited about Major Crimes being renewed for another season. I thought that because I loved The Closer so much that I would hate this spin-off but it has grown on me.

A quick question for those commenting – what are your thought on Murder in the First? I’ve been watching it but the jury is still out for me.

31. Ally Oop says:

32. Ally Oop says:

I’m still watching Last Ship but I dont think it’s really that great of a show. The writing is pretty poor with plot lines and characters rather dicey. I keep waiting for it to get better but it doesn’t. The only reason I keep watching is because lack of other alternatives. One more ep and I’ll likely jump ship.

33. HAP says:

Major Crimes is one of the better shows on both cable and broadcast TV. But do folks realize that at age 62, and 69 respectively, Mary McDonnell and GW Bailey ought to be collecting social security instead of chasing criminals around LA.

• Tina says:

I think that 4 of the main characters being over sixty is a huge part of the appeal of this show for the older demographic. It shows that we don’t have to be put out to pasture when we hit a certain age!! Their experience as police officers contributing to the solving of a crime shows that experience is of value in this setting!
      LOL, They have that younger group to do the chasing after criminals!

(BTW-Mary McDonnell is actually the youngest of that over 60 group!! She is an inspiration for us older viewers!!)

34. mary says:

sure wish they would have let last resort on loved that show glad to see that last ship made it

35. The Last Ship..how can they just add 3 more episodes without totally stuffing up the flow of the series?

• Fran says:

The extra 3 episodes will be for the second season. This season will stay at the originally ordered 10 episodes.

36. osanbob says:

The way Falling Skies has gone this season makes me long for another Librarian movie.

37. patioprincess says:

Yay! More Adam Baldwin and Eric Dane on my screen. Win!

38. Paul says:

What about Dallas?

• TV Gord says:

Its current season continues in August. It’s too early to start speculating on another season (though I hope it happens!). My hope is that they find some way to bring back Ken Kercheval. We can’t bring J.R. back, but we can still bring back Cliffy! Do it while we can, please! :-)

39. fangirl says:

Good news re: MAJOR CRIMES. Though I love the Rusty-Raydor dynamic, I thought that they were way too quick to slap a label on him. Now he’s in danger of becoming just another gay guy among so many gay male characters. Hopefully, they have more ideas than to have him “grappling with his sexuality (read: who to date)”. That’s just been done to death in always the same way. THE FOSTERS does a far better job with Jude who has the freedom to – gasp – fall in love with people of either sex. No stupid label needed.

FALLING SKIES was fabulous for about 2 seasons. Now they’ve all but abandoned character development and instead we get more aliens, lazy Hitler Youth storyline, an alien baby that grows up with the same speed as the fairy babies in TRUE BLOOD (didn’t work there, doesn’t work here). Wtf?

I knew they were in trouble when lonely Weaver’s daughter showed up, disappeared, popped up again… To bring back lost relatives from before the show started means to go backwards. Don’t ever go back. Also, I hate what they do with one of the coolest characters – Pope. Quit treating him like a wild card idiot character, a chess piece to move around without any rules.

The weakest point was when the humans could move to Brazil and live in peace. But no – why would they want to live in peace and give up killing aliens and suffer? Ugh squared. That was as stupid as when Rick & Co decided to fight for their dumb prison building in THE WALKING DEAD instead of giving it to the Governor and simply move on to a new building. It’s one thing to be forced to fight for your live but it’s another to fight when there are other options.

40. Pam Greene says:

i quit watching when that woman tried to take Brendas place, it stinks now! When it was the closer I never missed watching it, so now I watch criminal minds!

• Tina says:

Brenda/Kyra Sedgwick made a choice to leave. This is the same core cast, but a very different show with characters we already know and love!
      A very large number of Brenda fans stuck with it, and an overwhelming majority are glad they did!!! This show has surpassed The Closer in so many ways.
      The calming influence of the character of Sharon Raydor has formed a more cohesive crime solving unit who are each allowed to shine in their own right. Sharon is behind the scenes allowing this squad to do their jobs.
      You should give it a chance! I assure you, it is well worth watching!

41. Bob White says:

Major Crimes missed a perfect opportunity to drop the Rusty character at the end of last season. His presence slows down the show and distracts from the cases they’re trying to solve. Please – write him out ASAP!

42. Karen says:

You know what cracks me up more than anything? People keep saying they want to see something different on TV than the usual procedurals and typical network crap, but then they get a decent science fiction or fantasy show and if it doesn’t go the way they want, they complain! If you all are such great creative minds, why don’t you write your own shows? You’re the reason we can’t keep these shows on!

43. Burt says:

Major crimes is a great TV show but if they could do just one thing different it would be to show it takes more time than a day to solve a crime. Maybe the introduction of “law & order” timeline showing days or weeks have passed might help.

44. James Wilson says:

Thank God they are keeping “The Last Ship” for another season. It is a great show and being a 10 Navy Veteran, I appreciate the details and stories. The ship I was on in the 70’s was a DDG (Guided Missile Destroyer). I am always afraid that anytime I like a new show that it will cancelled in short order. It has been done to several shows I liked, the last one being CBS’s “Intelligence.”
    With “Falling Skies,” I was going what the heck is going on. It seemed scrambled. Glad it is back though and pleased that season 5 will conclude the story.
    I like “Major Crime” better than I like “The Closer” for some reason.
    Keep up the good work TNT. Just quit messing around with the cable and satellite companies. You have good shows, but when you play the money game with the providers it hurts the fans more than it does the companies.

• LEP says:

I’ve wondered what a Navy person would think of the show. For a civilian, it seems like they put a lot of work into authentic details, but I have no way to really know. But now they are off the ship. Has the show lost its premise? Hope not. I’ve enjoyed the sea shots and the Navy details.

Thanks for your service!

45. We just love Major Crimes. It keeps getting better and better. Hope it goes on for many more seasons.

46. Rick Katze says:

I’m glad FALLING SKIES is getting a final season to wrap up the story. they really are near the end of a story and I do not see themselves reinventing the story line to continue.

I think a great end would be to have the Aliens win and humanity cease to exist. It really is the only logical ending but this is TV and …

47. Rick Katze says:

And another voice to RIZZOLI AND ISLES. When will TNT announce its renewal?

48. PU says:

Is there any way to make comments that are read by producers of tv shows, or broadcast companies that select the programming, or companies that monitor public review or the like? I have made some attempts to searching and am not getting results in the right direction I am looking for.
    I am not expecting the programming to change from one comment, however, would like at least my comments to be added to data collected from the public to whether or not a show should continue certain aspects to be viewed/represented to the public.
    Are you able to help?

49. mike dobey says:

the last ship is a excellent show. falling skies is a decent sci fi show. This last season was a little rough as compared to the earlier seasons. those who slag on the show and say it was bad always are just not sci fi fans probably. Because season 1-3 were excellent.