Does Girl's Dad Teach? Was The Strain 'Hair-Raising'? Worst 24 Death? Best Mistresses Twist? And More TV Qs

Girl Meets World Cory Teacher

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Girl Meets World, Mistresses24: Live Another Day, and Pretty Little Liars

1 | Does Girl Meets World‘s Cory ever teach any actual history in his class? On that note, do any of Riley’s classmates pay attention to Cory when he’s teaching? Also, wasn’t it great to see Topanga and Auggie’s dynamic?

2 | Since Salem’s Increase was always so quick to invite suspected witches to, ahem, hang with him for a spell, why was Tituba set free with her neck intact? And now that Mercy has crowned herself queen of the night, can we all agree that she is the coolest, battiest thing since Buffy the Vampire Slayer introduced Drusilla? And does anyone know what Mercy was talking about when she said she “beheaded the rose”? Also, how is anyone in that town fighting frizz? Magic?

3 | Which Mistresses bombshell made you gasp hardest: Daniel telling April that he’s (gulp) married? Karen discovering her former coworker/new bedmate Jacob just broke off a relationship with her suicidal prostitute patient? Or Zack inconveniently failing to deny to Dom that he, too, has feelings for Savi?

RELATED  Mistresses Preview: Has Savi Found a New Pal in ‘Toni Taut and Tanned’?

4 | The first time you caught a glimpse of the creature emerging from the plane’s cargo hold on The Strain, didn’t you think — just for a second, given only that rear view — “Hey, that’s Sweetums from The Muppet Show!”? And how distracting was Corey Stoll’s hair during Eph’s therapy session?

5 | The Leftovers‘ Father Matt-centric episode: Creepy, or thought-provoking?

food-network-star-lenny-cowboy6 | For a show in which the judges have typically championed “authenticity” and “realness,” how come no one has called out Food Network Star‘s Lenny on his relentless, waaaayyy-over-the-top cowboy shtick?

7 | Wasn’t Switched at Birth‘s Bay a little too harsh when she told Daphne that the dying Angelo wasn’t her “real” father?

8 | Is there any way ABC’s will be able to resist the idea of The Bachelor: The Farmer Takes a Wife — starring the ridiculously handsome, charming Chris (AKA the one Andi inexplicably booted this week in favor of smarmy Nick)?

9 | Anyone else surprised that The Fosters‘ Callie initially thought her mid-coitus panic attack was because she was still in love with Brandon, not because she was raped?!

RELATED  Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

10 | Does Under the Dome‘s Rebecca have more than 24 hours in her day? How else did she manage to narrowly avoid death, hose the acid rain out of Chester’s Mill and get back to the diner to gloat, in just a few scenes?

11 | Which 24 death crushed you more: the one in Live Another Day‘s finale, or Renee’s? Also, might Cheng Zhi cross over to Sleepy Hollow this fall as a new Headless Horseman?

Pretty Little Liars Spoilers12 | Now that Pretty Little Liars‘ Travis is out of the way, how much longer will we have to wait for Caleb and Hanna to get back together? (Side note: Is there anyone who doesn’t love Caleb’s new look?) Also, what cell phone plan is “A” on?

13 | Since Chasing Life‘s Leo has been revealed to be terminal, can we use our Make-A-Wish to keep Scott Michael Foster on the show even if Leo dies? Perhaps as his twin brother Theo… ?

14 | Why isn’t Finding Carter‘s titular teen more conflicted about Lori? The woman lied to her for years and is capable of kidnapping (for reasons unknown to us and her)! And wasn’t Gabe’s talk of inevitably ending up with Carter a tad unsettling?

15 | Would VH1’s instantly addictive The Linda Perry Project work better as a half-hour program (AKA without 30 minutes worth of exhausting “What just happened”/”What’s coming up” footage)?

16 | Although Big Brother‘s Devin was easily the biggest bully in the house, did his fellow houseguests’ over-the-top celebration of his veto loss and eviction make you feel a little bad for him?

RELATED  Tom Ellis Talks of Irresistible Rush Role, Being Once‘s Robin Hood

17 | Why is Rush’s titular doc back to “owing” his slithery Hollywood Game Night - Season 2drug dealer? Shouldn’t they be even now? And can we all agree: This ain’t your grandma’s Royal Pains?

18 | Is “Back-to-Back” the most entertaining new Hollywood Game Night addition in a long while? But were Johnny Weir’s short-shorts flirting with a TV-MA rating?

19 | Wouldn’t Dominion‘s Whele be a better villain if Anthony Head didn’t have to focus on his American accent so much?

20 | Could Welcome to Sweden be named Meet the Föckers?

21 | Was Gale Harold’s Defiance character among the last you expected to ever see again, no matter the means? Wendy Williams Birthday CakeOh, and what exactly does Irathient breath smell like?

22 | How horrifying is this (not terribly accurate) Wendy Williams cake going to look with a dozen or so slices cut out, discarded in the dumpster in the alley behind her studio?

23 | As much as we still love the dollar-bill-on-a-fishing-line bit, when will State Farm come up with a new ad campaign? (But don’t get us wrong, anything is better than the dish service marionettes and cell phone Framily Plan!)

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. A says:

1) poor Cory, you can’t simply replace the legend that is Mr. Feeny.

2) I vote for a cookies centric season with Marquel. Whose with me?

2. amarohl says:

#11 – Renee. The reaction to the death in L.A.D. (by a certain politician) was more impactful than the actual death. And I also think it was just thrown in to have “a shocking death” in the finale, once they decided to not kill off the main man.

• Julie says:

I’ve always liked a Audrey better than Renee so for me it was definitely worse.mi thought those two crazy kids might have had a chance! Guess not…

• MGL says:

I was hurt most by Audrey’s death. I liked her the best. I thought Jack deserved a “happily ever after” or at least until the show was renewed, it that be.

• Megs says:

Agree on Renee, I always liked her character way more than Audrey anyway. I was more heartbroken for Jack and the Prez (both reactions!) than I was that Audrey actually died. Although, I disagree that they needed it just to have a “shocking death”. I do feel it was important to Jack’s story in that, had Audrey been “available”, I’m not sure he would have willingly (albeit to save Chloe) gone with the Russians. Granted, they could have just written the ending differently, but the way they did it made sense…to me at least!

• Anna says:

Renee’s by far was the most devastating. IMO, they were far more connected than he and Audrey were. She understood him and the life he led more.

Audrey was too weak and fragile.

• Brendan says:

Renee was a far better partner and lover for Jack than Audrey ever was. Renee understood Jack and the life he had more than Audrey. That’s for sure. As far as chronology and I concerned, the events of the later parts of Day 8, including Renee’s death, never occurred.
        I wasn’t really surprised that Audrey was killed in the LAD finale. That was my expectation. Renee’s affected me more than Audrey’s.

3. wordsmith says:

2) Yes, Mercy is crazy fun and just plain crazy. And if you recall, Rose was the traitorous elder witch that Mercy killed on Mary’s behalf during that whole initial escapade with the Malum.

4. Daven C says:

14 – I don’t think she really cares why Lori took her. All she sees is the dysfunctional mess that is her biological family and she wants to go back to the comfort that was her relationship with her ‘mom’. Given the family dynamic, I’d be running back to where I was happy, too. And that Gabe kid reminds me of Junior on Under the Dome and his obsession with Angie. I don’t like where that storyline is heading.
    19 – I really hate how some actors are forced to hide their accents on shows. The same thing happened with Jamie Bamber on Monday Mornings. He was trying so hard to keep the accent out of his voice sometimes that he seemed to be a block of wood in what were supposed to be dramatic/romantic scenes.
    21 – Gale Harold is on Defiance? I need to check that show out then. Hope it’s better than Vanished was.

• DV says:

Actually, Jamie Bamber has an excellent American accent. His father was an American.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, he both he and his sister play American all the time and you’d never know the difference.

As for Tony Head, you can hear him speaking very deliberately in that accent, but I actually feel like it works for the character, an ex-televangelist with such a meticulously manufactured image. It makes sense that his speech would sound a little overwrought and not quite natural.

• Rodg says:

Yeah he was pretty good in Battlestar Galactica,but then I had to get used to his real accent in Law and Order:UK

5. wordsmith says:

4) Corey Stoll’s hair definitely was distracting in those first few scenes. It took me a little while to adjust.

6. MrMank says:

I like how you’re still trying to be spoiler-friendly about the 24 finale death. I’m simply going to give the courtesy now…SPOILER ALERT!!

I don’t think one can really compare Renee’s death to Audrey’s. They both had their place in the tragedy that is Jack Bauer’s life. What made Renee’s so tragic, aside from Jack watching it happen, was that Renee was just as damaged as he was. These two souls were finding comfort with each other at what SHOULD have been the end of a major crisis. Audrey’s actual death seemed to happen so quickly that it almost lacked oomph, but thanks to the near perfect chemistry over the years, between Kiefer Sutherland and Kim Raver, and outstanding performances in the finale by Sutherland, Yvonne Strahovsky and William Devane, fans felt every ounce of Audrey’s death. A truly fine episode.

• Chris says:

I agree, Audrey’s death just felt kinda pointless and rushed just for shock value. And Heller’s reaction and his speech at the end just made the ending an all out depress fest. I honestly think Heller should have died in the stadium, it would have had more impact and made more sense as opposed to Chloe pulling a “Speed” (offscreen!) to save the day. It felt like a total cop out and worst part of an otherwise fantastic season.

• JMill says:

I’d put them on about the same level, and while I was fine with both, I put them both behind the one that kicked the Curse of Bauer off, the cold, cold blooded murder of Teri Bauer by Nina. And I REALLY liked President Heller’s speech at the end. It summed up perfectly the grim, relentless finality that is the tragedy of Alzheimer’s. It was heartbreaking but spot on.

• MEO3 says:

I also agree about Audrey’s death being pointless… and seemed like a direct lift of Kaitlain Todd’s killing by Ari. At least that one played into a greater story arc.
        Ugh… Chloe’s role… at first I thought she was morally conflicted, then started to get weary of her over-playing that conflict, then felt she just was showing she was constipated. I guess I expected better…

• Rich Abey says:

Couldn’t have put it better myself!

7. johnhelvete says:

14) Carter’s “mom” was taken from her suddenly, almost like a death. Right now she is grieving the loss of her mother, eventually she will start to question things about Lori, viewers just need to show a little patience.

8. ... says:

19. For some reason, his speaking voice reminds me of Terrence Howard’s, which tickles me.
    14. She has absolutely no memory or connection with her biological family and her interactions with them thus far have been strained, at best, so I definitely see why she’s still hanging onto an idealized notion of her mother. Lori’s the only mom she’s ever known and even with the circumstances that brought them together, Carter had what she considered to be a great life and she doesn’t want to turn her back on Lori because of that. Plus, it’s been like three episodes and having Carter instantly turn against Lori and bond with her new family would be incredibly anticlimactic.
    13. I like Leo as long as his purpose on the show is cancer advisor/good friend to April. Anything romantic between them doesn’t work for me, not as well as the Dominic/April relationship works.
    4. The wig wasn’t that distracting. I recognized it was a wig and all, but everything else going on in the show made me forget about it.
    3. Definitely Jacob. The other two were pretty telegraphed all season.

9. Tee says:

7 – she was definitely too harsh, but seeing an emotional teenager acting like a jerk is not unrealistic. Fortunately they’re not all like that. (Though woooo my younger sister used to say way worse things when she was angry and lashing out, now that she’s in her early 20s she’s mellowed out.) With Bay, it was kind of a parallel to Regina’s lashing out in the episode, which also was harsh and not okay. Will they actually learn to be less hurtful with their anger? That’s probably too mundane a topic for the writers.

10. corey says:

Is that Nigel Lythgow in the State Farm commercial?

11. 14 – I think it’s pretty clear that Carter is experiencing a form of Stokholm syndrome. Stokholm has the tendency to cause blind faith and affection and adoration for their kidnapper. And Carter grew up being raised by this woman. It’s only the third episode, I’m sure the conflict will come in time but it’s going to take a while for her to come to terms with the fact that Lori lied to her. Either way, it’s not yet something that is concerning about the storytelling. As for Gabe’s speech about him and Carter getting together – that was absolutely disconcerting, not at all romantic – which I’m sure is what they were going for.

12. Dean says:

Audrey’s death was a long time coming.

• jenferner8 says:

Amen! I’ve never liked her, very boring, very bland. Never understood what Jack saw in her. The only thing that would have made her death any better is if she hadn’t been on this season at all.

• Rodg says:

Jack saw what the writers decided he saw

• Jennifer says:

He loved Terri, that was clear. He and Renee had loads of chemistry. Jack and Kate had one season together professionally, they had great chemistry. Jack and Nina whom I was never crazy about were fairly good together professionally if you overlook the affair. Even Jack and Chloe’s platonic friendship had chemistry, The point is except for Audrey there was always some sort of obvious, tangible chemistry between Jack and these women so I can’t imagine why the writers thought bringing back the most boring, bland character he’s ever interacted with would be a good idea. They should have stopped with William Devane, his chemistry with Keifer would have been enough.

13. amy says:

#5. It was really more sad than anything. He’s so totally broken. But now he can pay his wife’s nurse!
    #23. I must be the only one who is amused by the Framily Plan commercials. It must be Judy Greer.

• Megs says:

They amuse me too, and it’s 100% due to Judy Greer. That one where she gets so excited about tacos cracks me up everytime. She’s just so incredibly excited about tacos and I love it!

14. mykem91324 says:

I only watch one of these shows,

15. Alichat says:

4) Actually, my first thought was of the Grim Reaper from Peter Jackson’s ‘The Frighteners.’ Almost identical.
    10) Can we seriously get rid of the Kool-Aid drinking science teacher? She’s so Stepford, I am wondering if she’s something created by the Dome.
    17) I was wondering that too. Unless since he told Raoul that they were cool and Manny owed him for the surgery, then by asking Raoul to get the painting, he created the ‘owe.’
    23) I’ll take that commercial any day over that awful, nails-on-a-chalkboard-like commercial from Haagen-Dazs where the two Italians scream at each other. How exactly is that supposed to entice me to buy their product??

• Chloe says:

10. Agreed! Can’t stand her. I was hoping Lyle would finish her off. She’s beyond annoying & so full of herself & arrogant.

16. Wendy says:

4. I think the hair is a vampire… it’s the only reason it’s there!
    12. I think A must have some crazy unlimited data and talk and text.

Added questions:

24. Was I the only one totally distraught/heartbroken over the suicide attempt in Masters of Sex?
    25. Can we all just agree that the fireball through the window on Reckless was a crazy plot twist I didn’t see coming!

17. R.O.B. says:

Totally agree on Corey Stoll (The Strain). Poor production decision giving him hair, which was completely unnecessary and since everyone knows he’s bald, very distracting. I was focused on the hair in every scene. But what was worse was Sean Astin’s role. I like Sean Astin. But he was not even phoning in his acting, he was texting it in. One of the most sleep-inducing character depictions I have seen.

• jenferner8 says:

They could have given him better hair. And he’s much hotter without hair, at least he was on Law & Order LA. Don’t know if you’ve read the book but my understanding is there’s a method to the madness in regards to Eph’s hair so Corey’s wig is a unfortunate necessity at the moment. I don’t remember reading anything in first book but it’s been a couple of years so I may have forgotten or it gets addressed in second or third books which I haven’t read yet. I kind of agree about Sean but given what the character goes through in first book I’m withholding judgment for now.

• prion says:

I had no idea Corey Stoll was bald, and honestly, hair didn’t bother me. Bad plots and bad acting (in most SyFy movies) bother me more…

18. #21 You spelled *among the characters you most wanted to see again* wrong. Even hallucination Gale Harold is smoking hot.

19. Bella says:

#23 Those Dish marionette commercials are truly hideous. The Framily ones are not funny, but they’re not creepy.

20. Aimee says:

#13 – I believe he has been cast in another show, right? I’m pretty sure I read that on this site actually.

21. Luis says:

17. When I first saw the blurb for the pilot of “Rush” I thought, “Did the Royal Pains writers just drop acid one night and say, ‘What if this was a drama instead of a comedy?”

• brown eye girl says:

right on…… this is the dark and flaw version of royal pains,,,, at least it is on the same network……

22. sarah says:

3)I knew something was up with Daniel and so I was not really shocked that he is married, I say he will leave his wife for April! So I would say Jacob’s ex being Karen’s patient.
    12)Caleb is hot not matter his hair length! I say it will take awhile of the Haleb reunion. Funny comment about A’s cell plan.
    18)I agree on both!

23. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

About SALEM: I still want Mercy dead by the hands of Tituba and the quote that she(Mercy) told those kids in the woods I think she was referring to Mary. Cause remember Mary told those other witches who ”chose” her that she wanted out OR it could also be referred to Tituba since she ratted her out to increase and the rest of salem……anyways that little girl better watch herself cause Tituba is FREE!

24. klynn1075 says:

I thought the same think about Dr. Rush. As soon as I saw the text, I said out loud, shouldn’t they be even now. hmmm…..

25. Mary Ann says:

Number 6: I totally agree with you on Lenny’s cowboy schtick. He is very annoying. But how did you like Sarah’s tiara during the cooking demonstration? They both need to go.

26. Chantel says:

I love history, I honestly do, but if I wanted to watch a tv show where someone sits there and talks about historical events the whole time? I’d watch a documentary on the history channel. It’s a twenty minute show on the Disney channel. Do we really need to spend tons of time listening to Cory talk about history? We know he’s got to be an excellent teacher or he wouldn’t have gotten the job.

27. HAP says:

All of the State Farm commercials that have been airing for quite some time are insulting to one’s intelligence. But the dollar on the fishing line wins the grand prize!

28. TinLV.com says:

Definitely Renee. Hated that death. Really liked her with Jack. And it was more of a shocker too.. I expected Audrey to bite the dust this year.

29. Deena says:

12–oh no, not a fan of the creepy Caleb look. Besides, now who is Toby going to share his hair mousse for men with?

30. Brendan says:

#11, Renee’s death was far the worst 24 death there is. She was the best partner and love interest for Jack. I viewed both Jack and Renee to be soulmates like Doug Ross and Carol Hathaway of ER. Also, I have to tell you this too. I actually cheered when Audrey died because she was pathetic, useless, weak and had no chemistry with Jack whatsoever. She finally got what was coming to her.

• jenferner8 says:

OH WOW! Are you in my head or what!? I could have written that post! Except for the Doug/Carol part. NO chemistry between Jack and Audrey. Bland and mega boring woman that she was I never understood what the hell Jack saw in her, he was better off with William Devane. I never been a Kim Raver fan, I don’t understand why people think she’s such a great actress, she bores me in most anything I’ve ever seen her in (I’ve tried several of her shows especially NCIS Red but given up, she’s had no chemistry with any of her costars, they all seem to carry her like dead weight) I was extremely disappointed when 24 brought her back for this season.

31. 8 – Andi had to boot Chris this week because he’s the only one of the remaining guys that has the personality or appeal to be the Bachelor.
    12- Caleb’s new look is HOT, except for the facial hair. It looks like a disguise. Not natural.
    16 – Having watched the live feeds and seen how heavily edited and manipulated the CBS shows are, I don’t believe anything on BB anymore. They could have been cheering for a bird that flew overhead.

• Television says:

OMG, “it looks like a disguise”, some people can’t pull off facial hair, and I start to wonder if it is glued on….Caleb on Pretty Little Liars, and can anyone please agree with me the most awful is Toby on Switched at birth. I mean, he was at the hospital with the sad scene and when he was on screen, hahahhhahhahahah TOBY come on! He must be trying out for “evil villain”.

32. jenferner8 says:

#11-Renee’s death was far worse. I wish 24 had figured out how to bring her back from the dead. I’ve never really cared for Audrey, I wasn’t sorry that she died only sorry that she was brought back at all. Thank you 24 for not killing William Devane! He’s such a pleasure to watch on the show, ironically having more chemistry then Kim Raver ever had with Keifer.

#9-I’d read The Strain after finding out that Corey would be starring in it. I actually pictured him bald not knowing he’d have the wig and am now finding out the hair is important at some point. Having said that, I wish Corey could forgo the wig, he is way hotter without hair.

#10-I kind of wondered the same thing. Rebecca is BEYOND highly annoying always having an answer ready, almost literally forbidding anyone to contradict her science. God forbid someone else actually has an alternative idea be it faith or science. And taking credit for stopping the rain? Seriously? I was ready to throw acid rain on her myself.
    Note to Dome writers: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE KEEP DWIGHT YOKUM! Do whatever it takes to keep him! Those jailhouse scenes were some of the best this season.

33. Television says:

1. The show would be better if it focused on Cory and Topanga as adults, Man Meets World.
    4. The Strain is the best new show, couldn’t take my eyes off the screen, therapy session equals boring.
    7. Bay was just lashing out out of sadness. Daphne lashed out at the end too. I personally liked Angelo being around and learning to be a father, I think it was the wrong choice to kill him off.
    10. All I can think of with Rebecca is someone drama pronouncing her name….”Re…BECC…AHHHHH”
    12. Caleb now looks like he can sign up for a new version of Brandon Lee in The Crows.
    17. My first thought was Royal Pains with a twist.

34. Ann says:

14 – I was very surprised that Carter wasn’t more upset about Lori being a kidnapper and lying to her all these years and that she’s being so hard on her natural mother. Still, I feel that this is just one of the shows that tries to copy another show (Switched At Birth) but in a less successful way.

35. person says:

Renee’s death in 24…. never liked Audrey never…

36. Cassandra says:

7) It was a bit harsh but nothing compared to Daphne laying the blame on Regina for his death. That pissed me off to no end.

37. Christy says:

#TeamAudrey #RIP

38. Marco says:

12. I like the new look, but it makes him look like the Boy With(out) The Dragon Tattoo.

39. 19. That accent makes it perf people

40. Rich Abey says:

#11. While Renee might not be the most liked character on 24, her turnout in Season 8 brought her right upto my Top 5 favorite 24 characters (alongside Jack, Chloe, Tony & President David Palmer). She was passionate, powerful & intelligent. More importantly, she was an equal to Jack himself. They were equally damaged souls, but also equally able to deal with any situation thrown in their way. While Audrey might have been the metaphorical first crush of Jack, Renee was his “soul-mate”, and to have her die in his arms after averting yet another global conflict was just too much to bear.
    Still it was great to see him go all berserk on Cheng & co. though I admit I did not foresee him chopping off Cheng’s head with a sword! (guess Game of Thrones is all the rage now..even in eastern europe where Jack has been presiding over the past few years)

• Brendan says:

What you said about Jack and Renee as soulmates, at least, are true.
      You know what else too? A friend of mine who works in the ER said that normally a ER doctor would’ve treated a gunshot wound victim a few minutes longer. Renee was only worked for a minute and a half before she was pronounced dead and she was only seen for at least four minutes afterwards, which means she was clinically dead at that time. Therefore, Renee has a plausible chance for revival, just like how Tony was revived, except his revival was far-fetched to say the least. Thought I might let you know.

41. Patrick says:

I have to say, it is kind of a wuss move not to mention Suits this week. After the last few episodes you have been quick to point out Mike’s perceived bad behavior. This week, after Harvey behaved badly and finally fessed up to a monumental mistake, silence.

I really wish media outlets would stop portraying sociopathic behavior in a positive light. Or, at least, that they wouldn’t gloss over it when it comes from a handsome, charming, individual.

42. mzdee says:

I think the writers of 24 got it way wrong when they killed off Audra? Somehow 24 lost more than just a character

43. Kyle says:

TV Burning Question: On this week’s SYTYCD, is it me or do the dancers in the Sonya mini-group routine look like they’re all entering Stage 2 of Hep-V??