Elementary Scoop: Smash Alum Joins Season 3 as Joan's New Boyfriend

Raza Jaffrey Elementary Cast

Sherlock and Watson are both entering Elementary‘s third season with new companions.

On the heels of our scoop that Ophelia Lovibond has been cast as Holmes’ latest apprentice, TVLine has learned that Smash grad Raza Jaffrey will recur as Joan’s new boyfriend.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Jaffrey’s Andrew is described as the anti-Sherlock, an oasis of normalcy in a life that is still rife with strangeness and drama. Sherlock, who is trying to get in Joan’s good graces after almost a year away in London, will tread lightly around Andrew in the beginning. But he can only ever mind his manners for so long.

In addition to Smash, Jaffrey’s TV credits include Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and the BBC spy drama Spooks (aka MI-5). He’ll next be seen playing a lieutenant-colonel in Pakistan’s intelligence service in Season 4 of Homeland.

Elementary‘s third season bows Thursday, Oct. 30 at 10/9c on CBS.

1. he’s Lara Pulver (SHERLOCK’s Irene Adler) real-life bf, right?

2. Katherine215 says:

I have to say, I’m a little leery of what has been coming out about this third season of Elementary. A year apart? A new apprentice for Sherlock? A boyfriend for Joan? (Mind you, I don’t mind the boyfriend per se, since it’s not Mycroft, but…) The best part of Elementary was Sherlock and Joan’s relationship – why screw with it so significantly? I’m going to wait and see what the episodes bring but I’m concerned.

• Dani says:

I was actually wondering when Joan was gonna be in a relationship. I mean Watson is suppose to be married after all. Cementing Sherlock and Joan’s relationship as completely platonic by having Joan marry or in this case have a boyfriend, is completely fine with me.

3. Gaby says:

Omg, people are so insane! I wonder what the comments on this will be considering how crazy people went on the article announcing his new apprentice. This clearly states that Sherlock is trying to get in Watsons good graces which indicates that their relationship is on the mend.

Everyone that says the won’t watch will be the first ones tuned in!

• Moment says:

I take the view that Sherlock isn’t Sherlock without his partner Watson. However I have nothing against Watson dating. Sherlock + Someone else partnering up for cases doesn’t fit right with me, however if they did Sherlock on his own for cases without Watson, I could accept that for a little while.

4. JC1 says:

So is his last name Morstan? ;)

• Ashley says:

Sure – Marty Morstan or something along those lines. Sherlock Holmes was actually fairly impressed with Mary Morstan in “The Sign of Four”, but as long as the name matches (or is close enough to) one in the canon, the people behind Elementary seem to think it doesn’t doesn’t matter if the character matches anything else in the canon.

5. Liz says:

Well that will be delightful

6. Moment says:

I think part of the problem is that they won’t have Sherlock and Watson as a couple, and Sherlock seems to be overly attached, and a bit clingy to Watson, there’s no reason why Watson can’t have a boyfriend, the problem is that Sherlock seems to be overly needy of her services.

If the Elementary Sherlock can accept that Watson has her own life, and Watsons partner accepts that she’s working with Sherlock, I see no reason why the Sherlock/Watson partnership can’t continue.

7. Ruba Zahran says:

finally Joan gets a legit boyfriend i mean Mycroft was not the greatest choice

8. Jason says:

Just keep Mycroft away from her!!!! She got stupid fast around him.

9. sherri says:

Absolutely hate the new protege of Sherlock’s. It was my favorite show the last 2 seasons, but why did they mess with the format. PLEASE,PLEASE, get rid if Kitty.