24 Finale Recap: Die Another Day — Plus: Burning Questions Answered

24 Finale Audrey DiesThe following contains major spoilers from the finale of Fox’s 24: Live Another Day. All typing occurred in real time.

When all was said and done, and after a full 24 hours had elapsed, Jack Bauer had once again saved the day/country/world — yet not without sustaining significant and heartbreaking loss along the way.

As Jack frantically sought out Cheng Zhi, so as to prove to the Chinese that it was their presumed-dead dissident who masterminded the U.S. Navy’s sinking of a Chinese aircraft carrier, his onetime love Audrey found herself in the literal crosshairs of Cheng’s sniper. If Audrey moves, she gets shot dead. Only once Cheng is allowed safe passage out of London would she be released.

Once Jack dug up a lead — Anatol Stolnavich’s cell phone pointed towards a freighter docked at the harbor — he plotted to hunt down Cheng while Kate scoped out Audrey’s sniper, knowing that if Cheng learned of Jack’s approach, he’d issue the kill order. With Chloe back from tumbling down that roadside hill and eager to run comm for the op, Jack and Belcheck’s breach of the freighter started soundly, but was compromised once Chloe’s hacked sat feed was detected. So as Cheng dispatched his men and readied to unleash his sniper, Chloe urged Kate to hurry. As Audrey purposely drew fire from the gunman, Kate was afforded a bead on his precise location, felling him with a flurry of gunfire. Crisis averted.

Or not.24 Finale Audrey Dies

Moments after Audrey dodges that proverbial bullet, a second shooter emerges from the street and fires at the president’s daughter. Audrey slumps to the ground and, despite Kate’s immediate and fervent efforts, quickly dies from the gunshot. Cue silent clock.

On the freighter, as Cheng’s men scramble and with Belcheck off to disable the engine, Jack gets the call, from Kate, reporting on Audrey’s death. Shell-shocked, Jack is afforded one of his longest “private” moments ever — nearly a full minute, during which his faces traverses an array of emotions — before rising up to “vent” in the best way Jack knows how, by going berserk on the baddies.

Roaring at his adversaries while perforating them with an assault of bullets, Jack ultimately faces off with Cheng himself, for a brief bit of hand-to-hand combat. Jack emerges triumphant, holding down Cheng long enough for the CIA to confirm his identity via video for China.

Cheng’s punishment, however, will not come at the hands of the government he turned his back on. Instead, Jack makes his and Audrey’s onetime torturer pay the ultimate price, by grabbing a nearby (?) katana sword and lopping off the Big Bad’s bean. President Heller, meanwhile, after smoothing things over with the Chinese, learns from Ross McCall of Audrey’s fate, then collapses.

For Jack, the bad day is not over just yet. After being unable to track down Chloe at her makeshift comm center, he gets a mysterious phone call. We then skip ahead 12 hours, where President Heller is preparing to usher his daughter’s casket back to the States. Jack meanwhile is arriving for an exchange — himself for Chloe, who’d been captured by the Russians who for some time now have wanted their dibs on Jack. Passing by Chloe during the trade, Jack stands by his sacrifice and simply asks that she check in on Kim and her family for him, as he surrenders himself to the Russians and whatever fresh hell they have in store for him.

At least until Jack’s next very bad day (possibly, hopefully) arrives.

TVLine grabbed a few minutes with longtime 24 executive producer and director Jon Cassar — who helmed half of Live Another Day‘s 12 episodes, including POTUS’ “death” — to reflect on the show’s crowd-pleasing 12-episode resurrection. CLICK OVER TO PAGE 2 to read what he had to share….

1. Kae says:

This last ep was so good and heart wrenching on so many levels…They have got to do another season.
    One side note Cheng had to be nuts to give that order. He had to realize Jack would go ballistic. That sword scene i watched many times and cheered! Great ep great show!

• Moment says:

Another season absolutely must happen, I agree. It should be Jacks final chapter, but I accept that the writers need to take the time to think it through, after producing 12 fantastic episodes, they deserve the break. Hopefully Fox is behind them one more time and it gets made.

• Annie says:

Wonderful season. I would love more, though I’d be OK if we didn’t get that. But can we please talk about Devane, who freakin’ broke my heart in this finale?! Wow.

2. anne woellert says:

any chance of the 24 Movie is still going to be made. ????? If there no new installment why leave with a cliffhanger. ??

• Emgee says:

Well, if they do another one, great. I’d love to see it.
      But if they don’t, it’s hardly a cliffhanger. It’s not hard to imagine what the Russians have in store for Jack once he reaches Moscow.

• Moment says:

Torture aside, he’d likely be thrown in a gulag if anything. I can’t see Jack being killed outright, and making him suffer daily would give the Russians more satisfaction. That’s why I think perhaps an escape, or a rescue from such a place would be a good starting point for another season, if possible.

• Mike Rapino says:

From a story perspective, I would think Jack’s fate would all come down to a few things.

1) Was his pardoned by the President?
          2) Did he tell Kate what he was doing or where he was going?
          3) Does he and Belcheck have another plan?

• DT says:

1) He was informed of his pardon by President Heller during the scene at Wembley Stadium
            2) Kate looked like she was done with the CIA and going home to drink her guilt away after Audrey died on her watch (nothing she could do though other than rush her to safety instead of walking around like she and her team just got out from a movie (loved that comment by someone on here))
            3)Hopefully

• Julie says:

Yes he was pardoned but the Russians don’t care about that. The pardon means he could go back to the U.S. without fear of being handed over. It doesn’t mean that shady Russians can’t kidnap Chloe and trade her for him so they can let him rot in prison for the rest of his life.

• Mike N says:

If they do make another series, I think what will set off the 24 hour clock will be if the Russians find a way to free Steve Navarro to get him away from answering to justice in America and being interrogated further. If any event would serve to get someone like Kate to come out of retirement on a moment’s notice, I think that would be it along with wanting to free Jack at the same time. It would be kind of an ironic turnabout as fair play as it was the Russians that were trying in effect to do the same thing in this series in going after Jack that Kate, Chloe and other members of the team would be doing to capture Navarro (perhaps as being the “official” action that would allow them to get assistance by our government at points) and also to couple that with freeing Jack from them, and Kate getting revenge on the Russians and Navarro both for what happened in this series as well as how they messed her up earlier with her husband. I’m sure that perhaps many others in the CIA would want to help them recapture Navarro for what he did as well.

• dman6015 says:

Dr. Evil: Scott, I want you to meet daddy’s nemesis, Austin Powers
        Scott Evil: What? Are you feeding him? Why don’t you just kill him?
        Dr. Evil: I have an even better idea. I’m going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.

• Chris Coburn says:

Yes! This fits perfectly. How many times has Jack been held captive now? And how many times has he gotten out on his own? {Plus, the exchange from the Chinese, but let’s not count that one.}

• Dillard says:

I hope Jack handed a tracking device to Chloe! She will track him down!

• Tracy Wisniewski says:

Bring back Jack don’t wait 5 years till he is older He is still young TV needs a HERO not another reality show I watch this every week with my 85 year old mother she wont miss 1 night Jack could kill off the few guy’s and take over or crash the Helicoptor.

• Marilyn says:

I searched around using our friend Google, and couldn’t find anything definite-just a lot of “maybe’s” and “it all depend’s”…….But I can’t believe Jack won’t be back. Oh, there was one posted on June 13, where the producers said perhaps they would bring it back WITHOUT Jack-it would be Kate & Chloe. I love both of them, but 24 without Jack is like popcorn without butter. Sigh…….

• Julie says:

I don’t want a movie. I want another season. Chloe, Kate and Tony Almeida head tinRussia to bust Jack out of prison. I can’t believe they killed Audrey. Seriously…the guy can’t catch a break. First Teri, then Renee and now Audrey. And she was my favorite!

• Dot says:

Would rather have another 12 (or more) episodes instead of a movie!! This show has never lost that “be on the edge of your seat” drama and excitement. It would be awful for just a movie to be made. Not enough!!

3. Emgee says:

Surprised it wasn’t mentioned how in Jack’s “private” moment it honestly looked like he just couldn’t take it anymore and was about to take his own life; he’d just had enough. At least that’s how I interpreted it.
    The finale was great. This season may be up there as one of the best, right up there with Seasons 5 and 2.

• Maggie says:

Yes, it did seem like Jack was taking out the handgun in order to end it all. Then it seemed like he let his need for revenge take over. Beautiful scene by Kiefer, conveying so much with nothing other than his facial expressions.

• Dawn says:

I was thinking the same thing! I thought he was going to end his own life right then and there!!!

• Georgia says:

That’s absolutely where my mind went. He took out his handgun because he’d reached the breaking point. Then he heard Cheng and his men and went full Jack Bauer on them. Great series, and kudos to William Devane and the writers for that last scene with the PM. How completely soul-destroying to know that you’re not only living your worst nightmare, you have a disease that will ensure that you don’t remember it ever happened. Wow.

• LADY_in_MD says:

I nominate William Devane for performer of the week for that last scene I thought the same how sad he Is not going to remember
        I also thought Jack took out the handgun like he was going to kill himself all the women he loved were killed and because of him or their involvement with helping the desperation on Kiefer’s face and the. Jack Bauer rage fest is what made this an excellent episode and finale

• Yes, I thought the same thing – he was about to take his own life.

• Julie says:

That’s how I did as well.

4. Betsy says:

Waaahhhhhh. I didn’t cry when Audrey died or when the President found out. But when jack told Chloe she was his best friend and reached for her hand, I bawled like a baby!!!!! I haven’t cried at 24 since Teri died!!!

What a superb season and an even better finale. You nailed it- watching all those emotions cross jack’s face- he contemplates suicide and then decides, ohno, I’m gonna get this guy— it was spectacular. What a ride.

5. Apark2005 says:

Right before he went berserk, I totally thought of season one when he did the same thing to the Drazens. Great finale.

6. Betsy says:

Ps, I also cheered when he killed cheng. I stood right up in my living room withy arms raised like a touchdown !

• Marilyn says:

Me too! I applauded and shouted till the neighbor’s dogs started barking.

• Overthinking says:

I totally had the opposite reaction. When he went for the sword and put on Cheng’s neck I closed my eyes, clenched my teeth and held my breath waiting for the inevitable.

Am I the only one who feel robbed that we didn’t at least get to see president talking to Jack about what happened to Audrey? I would have also loved to see a scene where Kate and Jack meet face to face after the Audrey death. It felt very empty when neither of the parties talked to each other or cared what happened to the other at the very end. Unless the writers were setting up as a starting point to the next 24 installments, 12 hours later should have included some sort of communication between Jack/president and Kate/Jack.

7. Gary says:

What a great season! If that’s all there is, I’m satisfied, but would love to see another. I think another season would have to see Jack paying the ultimate sacrifice in heroic fashion (ala George, Bill, etc…)

Hate seeing it end so soon, but the season was definitely much tighter with the 12 hour format.

• Marilyn says:

I don’t know if I could stand it, to see Jack die. I keep telling myself he is a fictional character, and Kiefer Sutherland is alive and well somewhere, and Jack didn’t really go off with the Russians because Jack is made up………oh why am I so upset about this. At least Jack lopped off the bad guy’s head-that was great. But wait, the bad guy really didn’t lose his head, it’s all made up….oh S***, I’m going to bed.

8. Gary says:

And thanks Matt for the great recaps. Always nice when a recap is written by someone who seems to be enjoying the show along with us!

9. alan says:

very upset. Jack gets hurt again. typical but how much of A beating can he take. Almost wish he would have died in A shootout rescuing Chloe/ SO pissed off.

10. Chlojack says:

This was a better finale than the season 8 finale, IMO. William Devane, Kiefer Sutherland, and Yvonne Strahovski were amazing in this episode. Best season since season 5!

11. Maggie says:

The scene where the President tells the Prime Minister that he won’t remember any of this, and won’t even remember that he had a daughter, made me cry. Devane was brilliantly understated in his performance.

• Geo says:

So agree– some actors would overplay that speech, but what made it soooo sad was how Devane plays it so quietly. It was devastating. (And I didn’t even like Audrey!)

• TG says:

William Devane was incredible in this installment of 24. He was like that on Knots Landing as well. He acts out the most heart wrenching scenes with a gentleness and understated eloquence. He deserves an Emmy.

• donholley77 says:

I’ve watched Willam Devane since KL, too. He is 1 of the most underrated actors. But this is why he keeps getting hired. He makes everything he’s in better! 1 of my faves!

12. will says:

I can’t say I really loved it – other than finally getting even with Cheng there wasn’t anything satisfying about it. At least after Day 8 we all believed Jack would be on the run in a theatrical movie. Seeing him again in LAD was great, except now we cant hope that he found peace somewhere – we know he’s headed to Putin’s gulag.

13. Reblogged this on THB Files and commented:
    That finale right there was totally epic. Best series finale ever!!!

14. chip says:

lol this show is beyond stupid.

15. FFOLKES says:

WHERE WAS THE PART FROM THE SERIES PROMO/TEASE CLIP? WHERE JACK IS RESCUING CHLOE AND SHOOTING AT AN UPSIDE DOWN TAXICAB WHILE BOMBS ARE GOING OFF ALL AROUND THEM? THE PICTURE AT THE VERY TOP OF THIS PAGE! DID I MISS AN EPISODE?

16. Maryl says:

I loved the final episode EXCEPT what happened to the “device”. Was there any explanation that it was destroyed when Jack got Chang or did I miss something earlier?

• Marilyn says:

That’s what we were wondering too-I guess when the ship was stormed and the body parts collected, the device was scooped up too. I guess.

• Tyler M says:

Yeah, kind of an important part that they seemed to miss in filming or in editing. The whole point of going in after Zheng (and the entire season for that matter) was so that they could recover a device that could potentially commandeer all military technology around the world and which would have allowed someone the ability to use our own military capabilities against us. Kind of a big deal. I would have liked to have seen Bauer decapitate Zheng & then go all Office Space (like the classic scene where they destroy the printer) on that override device. He could have taken out his anger on Audrey’s death on an inanimate object like he had completely lost it and it would have been riveting TV to watch him go even more nuts than ever before on something that couldn’t even fight back.

I also still don’t understand where Zheng got his info about Audrey’s meeting and location in order to target her with a sniper in the first place. They kind of left that one out too other than President Heller asking the same question about a supposedly secret meeting with her and the girl from the Chinese embassy.

17. DT says:

Everyone nailed their performances tonight. Such a fantastic season, I’m really going to miss this show. I agree that this ending was much better than season 8. The only thing I didn’t like was how revealing the previews were from week to week. I was able to predict the Audrey death before the episode even aired and knew Jack was going to exchange himself for Chloe as soon as he got the phone call. I know they have to hook people in with the teaser previews but I wish they were a little more careful. If there is another season (and I wish there is) ill make sure to avoid the previews.

• C says:

I had no idea Audrey was going to die, or that Jack was going to exchange himself. Maybe I’m stupid, but I thought the promos didn’t give away anything.

• DT says:

The previews showed Jack crying (only a select few people could elicit that response), as well as Heller collapsing (I figured possibly from the news of his daughters death), and a flag covered coffin…so I put those 3 things together. The previews also showed Jack and Chloe walking in opposite directions like a tradeoff was being made (similar to Saunders daughter and Michelle in Season 3), so as soon as Jack got the phone call and Chloe was missing(and there was only about 10 minutes left in the episode), I knew that scene was going to happen next.

• C says:

I put together the crying, Heller’s collapse, and the flag covered coffin together to come to the conclusion that Heller died. His death could have elicited that response from Jack; and since when does a President’s daughter rate a flag-draped coffin? Isn’t that reserved for ex-military personnel and/or high ranking public officials? So, even though they didn’t get shown in the proper order, I thought for sure that President Heller was the one that died.

18. Chris Coburn says:

The Russians were idiots. Check out the hand-off. At NO POINT in time do they bind his hands or check him for weapons. If he had a gun, he could shoot the pilot and have the helicopter crash, potentially killing all on board. Unless they threatened his friends and family. But even then, Belchek could be in on it and get them to safety.

19. Tony says:

People, clock went silent after Jack got on helicopter. That means he dead. Clock also went silent when Audrey died. This is the last we’ve seen of Jack.

• Brandon Rowe says:

No it does not. If you recall in season 7 when Jack had to fake kill Renee, they have her a silent clock, but she was still alive (at least then). I think they said they did it to commemorate or extreme bravery or something.

• DT says:

It happened at the end of Season 2 and some other time if I recall. The way I view it is that the clock goes silent when something devastating happens, leaving the viewers speechless and in turn silencing the clock.

• roedecker says:

Yes, in Season 2 when Mason left the CTU there was a silent clock. And in the Season 6 finale too, with Jack just looking the ocean…

20. The clock ticked silent when he got in the helicopter which means a death… Was it Jack?

• Betsy says:

Was wondering SAME!!!’

• Tony says:

The Clock had always gone silent during the series when a main character dies. So it had to be Jack.

• Gary says:

Believe season finales (will have to go back to see which ones) have ended before with silent clocks when nobody died. Howard Gordon verified that Jack lived, but that they considered killing him.

• Gary says:

Just remembered that season 6 had a silent clock at the end I believe. I seem to remember people speculating that Jack had jumped off the cliff after visiting Audrey. I do try not to remember season 6 though.

• Sara says:

Yes, what does the silent clock mean?!

• DT says:

There were many instances throughout the series when the silent clock didnt turn out to mean a character death, just a devastating moment. The writers wanted an ambiguous ending, which they masterfully achieved.

21. James D says:

Oh WTF 24 seriously you couldn’t give the dude a happy ending. come on after all he’s done and been through the guy deserved to be drinking Mai Tai’s in Tahiti with the lovely agent Morgan :) it was so great having this show back again it didn’t disappoint at all, i figured it would be weird with the shorten season but they pulled it off beautifully. I sincerely hope they bring it back again. I prefer these stand alone series to a movie i think. the silent countdown for Jack at the end though was a little disconcerting. Well done.

• Soapbox Socrates says:

I’m on such the opposite spectrum on that point… He’s been through sooooo much that he sincerely DESERVES to die! Let the man be at peace! We deserve to see it happen in a manner befitting the tragedy of his character. As long as he lives, he’ll never allow himself to *just* “Live Another Day”

22. mike says:

Did anyone notice the “no tick tock on the 24 hour clock “at the end.that doesn’t imply that jack was killed by the Chinese did it, like they did when we thought tony was killed?

23. John Kirk says:

Hope there is another season…….hang in there Jack….Chloe to the rescue!

24. Bjohns says:

Even though Audrey got on my last nerves (applause to Kim Raver for a great return) I had to shed a tear because Jack loved her. Yes he had a foggy moment to end it, but realized his mission had to come first. I cheered at Cheng’s death, then bawled like a baby the rest of the episode. POTUS’ monologue about waiting for the day when he will forget all of this BROKE. MY. HEART. Then Jack telling Chloe it was time to go home and squeezed her hand. More crying. Please come back, if not immediately next year, maybe in two years.

• Sara says:

I agree with everything you said! You pretty much summed up all of my emotions. I completely lost it at the end with that POTUS monologue, and especially with the Chloe moment.

25. Alexa says:

The moment they announced Kim Raver was coming back as Audrey, I knew they’d kill her. They can say they left the decision until the last minute, but this is just what they do to Jack’s love interests. I had a foolish hope that perhaps it would be different this time because KS has been so supportive of the Jack/Audrey relationship, but alas…Oh, well. I guess I don’t have to worry about watching another season if the show does return, since all of my favorite characters are now dead or in jail like Tony.

• RichieS says:

It is my fervent hope they do one more season with Chloe and Morgan recruiting an ‘all-star’ ops group to rescue Bauer. Hopefully it would include Almeida and maybe the Jim Badge Dale character among others.

26. jereichl@comcast.net says:

Simply put, 24 is the BEST TV I have ever watched, and I have seen much over my 65 years! Kiefer, you are the best, and the writers/producers are as well! Thanks for the ride again, and, if the juice is still flowing, take us all on another ride together sooon! Thanks again!

27. Cj says:

It would be interesting in the next one if the Russians need Bauer and have to let him out to help them and the bad guys are rogue Americans and that is how jack gets back to America. They keep saying it has to have a tragic sad ending but I don’t buy that.

28. jared says:

With all the posturing by fox and kiefer depicting this as the end it became clearly evident tonight that indeed it was not. Let’s go Fox we want a full 24 for season 10 !

29. Day 6:

“James Heller: (to Jack Bauer) You’re cursed, Jack. Everything you touch, one way or another, ends up dead”

“James Heller: (to Jack Bauer) Simply getting your life back, Jack, isn’t going to change who you are. And you can’t walk away from it, you know that. You’ve tried it. Sooner or later you’re going to get back into the game, and my daughter is going to pay the price, like your wife did.”

Jack Bauer: You son of a bitch”

• Gabriel Gonzalez says:

Wow I completely forgot about that line. Guess Heller can predict the future. I am so mad they did that tho. She was supposed to be the one for him! And shes gone!! thats not fair… I like how they tied it in with Teri. its kind of like Lost how the the first episode and series finale ended with Jack Shepard going thru the forest with the hanging shoe. the first and maybe last season bookended with his only true loves dying in the finale… :'( I really wish they didnt do it… maybe she could have had much blood loss and unconscious… or maybe kidnapped by chengs men to teach jack a lesson. something other than death. I hate 24… but I love it…

30. Pete Helmbock says:

I just think the whole 24 series has been stellar throughout its entire run. And then this last installment was over the top. the writers for this show are outstandingly superb! Please do it again. Jack is the Man! God I just hope he can survive Putin1

# 40

31. M3rc Nate says:

Does anyone know what the ratings have been for 24 LAD? And compared to the same time slot against other networks? (And previous shows in the same time slot). I mean if this is a hit success both critically and with viewers at home, and its a hit in terms of viewership numbers, why wouldnt they make another season? Besides Kiefer not wanting to?

I really enjoyed the episode….though i admit i was hoping for more of a definitive ending, because what if this is it? I mean that was 12 great hours of TV, but if that is all we ever get, we are left in the same “What ever happened to Jack?” as we were at the end of last season. I was expecting him to not want to get captured/tortured again so he’d blow up the plane.

I realize they have to create scenarios where they can get their story to work…but in reality what happened to Audrey is exactly why the Secret Service (or FBI/CIA/etc) would never just start strolling back to their car after the first sniper is down. That is still a highly dangerous hot zone, ESPECIALLY as the Presidents Daughter (but doesnt truly matter who it is) they would rush her to a secure vehicle and drive FAST back to a safe location. They would be in a diamond protective formation checking/scanning all areas for another enemy target.

And second, they dont check Jack before he gets on the chopper? For explosives or a gun or a blade? He could have not wanted to get tortured again and wired himself with C4 and blew the Helo up, or had a gun/knife and killed everyone but the pilot and had the pilot land him somewhere…or many other scenarios. Anyways, for what it was, great finale, FANTASTIC 12 hours of 24 (i like the compact 12 hours more i think, it doesnt make sense but i think a great medium would be 16 eps..right between 12 and 24).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

24: LAD premiere: 8.1 million total viewers, 2.6 demo rating
      24: LAD most recent (July 7): 5.8 mil, 1.4
      SLEEPY HOLLOW finale (same time slot): 6.9 mil, 2.3
      BONES finale (Monday at 8pm): 6 mil, 1.6

• M3rc Nate says:

Thank you Matt. It seems like its right on track with Bones (which was a finale so i assume the best viewership that Bones season had besides potentially its premier). BUT i think the big thing is…(correct me if im wrong)…budget. Whats the Bones budget vs 24? Cause if 24 is way more expensive (shooting on location in London, explosions, top of the line locations like the stadium, shoot outs, large cast, etc) then i imagine 5.5-6.0 million isnt enough.

Can anyone remind me of what Jack did to the Russians to make them hate him so much? I know it was someone he killed the season before this LAD season, but i just dont remember who. Thanks.

• At the end of Season 8, he found out the Russian foreign minister ordered his goons to kill Renee. He went postal, killed six bodyguards, and then impaled the minister on a flag. Bad ass, but pissed off the Russians.

• M3rc Nate says:

Oh ya! Lol i remember that…badass and awesome, thank you. Considering he is pardoned so they cant rendition him and have no right to hold him, it would be awesome to see Kate Morgan (black op, she quit the CIA remember? badge & gun on desk) get sent in by the new President to get Jack back, considering all the America/Earth saving he has done. I think it would be cool to have the next season be a Jack/Kate duo team up.

• 5.8 million is only a 1.4? Didn’t Fringe have a 1.2 or something with only 2.5 million viewers? I swear, this rating system needs to die an awful death forever.

Matt, what’s your personal opinion on the ratings? Enough to garner significant interest in a follow-up? I couldn’t take it if there wasn’t.

• DT says:

Your July 8th column said 24 ticked up to 6 million/1.5 demo. I’m hoping the finale got at least 7 million…alot of people tend to watch finales live instead of leaving it for the DVR…here’s to hoping that was the case again!!!!

32. MP says:

Who can sleep after that?! I love 24 and I love the 12 hour format because it makes for a tighter season storyline wise. I hope Mr. Sutherland will be back for another abbreviated season next summer. What’s better than 24 during summer when not much else is on? What a sweet moment between Jack and Chloe at the end. I’m sure she’d be glad to rescue him from a Russian prison.

• JimC says:

I agree. The 24 episode format moved the story at a snails pace where the 12 really makes for some great story telling. Here’s hoping there is more on the way.

• Keith says:

Yeah the 12 hours eliminates unnecessary filler material, such as mountain lions chasing Kim

• Gloria Krazel says:

I also like the shorter format. More intense, and please oh please bring it back for another season, like Jack giving Chloe and device to track him. What a show. I’m’ 76 and sit on the edge of my seat in anticipation. Keith’ remorse scene was the best.

33. Tran says:

I hope that this is really the end for 24 and the network should consider it as a “series finale”. Well I guess I’m going to wait when the DVD comes out soon.

34. While Audrey biting it worked (seriously, never EVER fall in love with Jack, it just ends with you being murdered), kind of annoying that the second shooter came out of nowhere. I miss any foreshadowing on that?

Kind of sad Stephen Fry wasn’t behind everything. STEPHEN FRY FOR ARCH-VILLAIN IN SEASON 10!

35. Marilyn says:

Okay, how long will Jack be in the hands of the Russians before he escapes, tracks down Chloe,and saves mankind again? Please please please let there be another season!!!

36. donholley77 says:

I can’t remember the last time I was this affected by a finale! It was excellent! But I soooo wanted Jack to have his “happy ending! Oh well…

37. donholley77 says:

I can’t remember the last time I was this affected by a finale! It was excellent! But I soooo wanted Jack to have his happy ending! Oh, Well!

38. donholley77 says:

I can’t remember the last time I was this affected by a finale! It was excellent! But I soooo wanted Jack to have a “happy ending”! Oh, Well! Maybe Next Time?

39. So good…so so good! The finale had everything…I especially loved the ending with Jack admitting his friendship with Chloe…it must come back at some point in some way, shape, or form.

40. frog212 says:

Soooo did Jack recover the device?

41. Tick Tock says:

But why was there a silent clock as Jack entered the helicopter? Silent clocks are only for deaths. Does that mean that Jack’s death at the hands of the Russians was imminent?

42. nikki says:

Can William Devane, Tate Donovan and
    Kiefer Sutherland all get “Performer of
    the Week”? Just. There are now words

43. 24 fan says:

don’t put spoilers in your recap titles please. Even if you remove them, they show up in the Google search results and in the URL for this recap.

44. 24fan says:

so disapointted that audrey had to die…..

45. Jack Bauer Lives says:

next season needs to reverse their time jump.
    start with a kickin’ 2 hour episode to get Jack out of Russia and on a plane.
    12 hours later, the plane land right in the middle of another crisis.

Jack, Kate, Chloe and Tony to the rescue…

46. skippy says:

The only official ending that would satisfy me is that Jack return to Kim and his grandson and he lives out his life with them. After everything he’s been through its the only storyline that would make sense. Give the guy some happiness at the end!

47. JimmyC. says:

Did anyone else notice the silent clock at the end. I checked at the end of season 8 he has a ticking clock. At first I thought this was the end of Jack but if anyone can come back from the silent clock it’s Jack.

• DT says:

There have been multiple instances where the silent clock has not meant a character death. It seems to occur when there is a devastating moment, one that leaves the viewers speechless and the clock silent. That is how I think of it anyway. I think they made the clock go silent at the end of the episode to give an ambiguous ending where you don’t know definitively if he lives or dies…that seems to be the trend, ie. Tony and the blackout in “The Sopranos” or the Chuck/Sarah (Kate Morgan) fade to black kiss and whether she got her memory back in “CHUCK”. I prefer closure myself, but I can understand why these endings happen.

48. So, not a beach, heh. Like, the complete opposite of a beach.

49. Jack says:

Someone needs to tell Jon Cassar that Keifer has actually done 206 televised hours as this character, not 204…

50. Bob Zich says: