Better Call Saul: AMC Confirms Series Regulars, Teases [Spoiler's] Return

Better Call Saul Season 1

Team Better Call Saul has officially assembled.

RELATED AMC Renews Breaking Bad Prequel — See First Photo

At the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills on Friday, AMC confirmed the full line-up of series regulars joining star Bob Odenkirk.

Michael McKean (Family Tree) will play Saul’s brother Chuck, Jonathan Banks will reprise his Breaking Bad role of Mike Ehrmantraut, Rhea Seehorn (Franklin & Bash) will play Kim, Patrick Fabian (Grey’s Anatomy) will play Hamlin and Michael Mando (Orphan Black) will play Mando.

“The series is set six years before Saul Goodman meets Walter White,” reads the Breaking Bad prequel’s official description. “When we meet him, the man who will become Saul Goodman is known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet. Working alongside, and, often, against Jimmy, is ‘fixer’ Mike Ehrmantraut, a beloved character introduced in Breaking Bad. The series will track Jimmy’s transformation into Saul Goodman, the man who puts ‘criminal’ in ‘Criminal lawyer.'”

Better Call SaulAMC also released two new production stills, one of Odenkirk as Saul (above) and another of Saul with McKean’s Chuck (right).

Already ordered for a 13-episode second season, Saul‘s first outing of 10 episode is slated to premiere in early 2015.

Other tidbits from the panel:

* The show could have made its original November premiere date, but creator Vince Gilligan asked AMC for more time. “I am slow as mud as a TV writer,” he explained. “We have a way of doing things that are slower than most TV shows.” Given that, how will he juggle his Saul duties with his new CBS drama Battle Creek? “I don’t have as much to do with” the latter show, Gilligan admitted. And while Better Call Saul is a fifty-fifty partnership between Gilligan and executive producer Peter Gould, who created the title character, “it’s going to be more and more Peter’s” project as the series progresses.

* As they were crafting the prequel, Gilligan found that “we didn’t really know who this guy [Saul] is at all” even though viewers already know where he ends up. “It’s a very interesting process, and there are certain limits” given Breaking Bad, he allowed. Added Gould: “It reminds me a lot of Season 5 when we had the machine gun in the trunk. We had no idea how we were going to get there. … It’s a challenge. One of the questions we ask ourselves a lot is, what problem does being Saul Goodman solve?”

* Gould on a possible appearance from Giancarlo Esposito’s Gus: “There’s so much more to say about that character. There’s always a possibility. Having said that, we’re trying to make something that stands on its own.”

* Will Saul have a non-linear storytelling structure? “I like jumping around in time,” Gilligan replied. “Anything that was possible storytelling wise on Breaking Bad is possible on Better Call Saul.”

* Gilligan on the hate for Breaking Bad‘s Skylar: “I learned my lesson. I’m never going to write less-than-perfect women again. I was always scratching my head at the anti-Skylar bias. To me, she was a much more likable character than Walt was.”

1. Tom Charles says:

Should be interesting to see how things turn out

2. Liz says:

Count me in. :)

3. bibi says:

“I’m never going to write less-than-perfect women again” WTF? Is he serious? I hope not. C’mon! Just because some idiots think Skylar hateable that doesn’t mean everyone thinks the same! I loved her always more than Walt. She was one of my favourites. I don’t get it… TV needs more characters like Skylar. Not women perfection. We needs human female characters as much as male ones!

• leysh says:

I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic, he’s always defended Skylar as a character. The comment was more poking fun at the horrible standards put on women characters in shows/movies. Like you said, they cop so much hate if they dare to be real or human.

4. WonderWaage says:

I just want Bill Burr…

5. AnnieM says:

Hubs & I will probably check it out, but it will be weird seeing Mike again, knowing how he’ll eventually end up.

6. DJ Doena says:

They even could have a Walter cameo if they wanted to if they built the scene in a way where neither of them really recognizes the other (for example Saul being loudly on the phone in a supermarket and Walter driving by this annoying person with his cart (or even a 10yr old Walt jr.)

7. rarefied says:

I hope his comment about no longer writing less-than-perfect female characters was a joke. Because we need MORE complex women characters, not fewer.

8. Amigo34 says:

just awesome!!

9. TV Gord says:

I am salivating to see this show, and–as much as I loved Breaking Bad–I would like this series to have only a minimal connection to the old show. Since Walt and Jesse had nothing to do with Saul before he was introduced on that show, I fear that too much interaction between Saul and them would be too forced.

I think Michael McKean is an inspired choice to play the brother! If they want to reach back into Bob’s history, it would be a no-brainer to find some role for David Cross. He–like Odenkirk–is adept at both comedy and drama (I loved him as Jonathan Banks’/Professor Hickey’s son on Community). This show could bring a lot of long-overdue acclaim to many of the people working on this show!

10. TV Gord says:

Not all of us were anti-Skylar, by the way! I believe Gilligan’s tongue was in his cheek as he made that comment.

11. Joey Padron says:

Excited to see show! Photos from pilot looks good. Good to get more scoop from producers.

12. 415 Style says:

Say what? Skyler was very likeable. I don’t know why all the haters. I mean, Word.

13. Scott McGill says:

Skylars character was perfectly written, I thought. And I cannot wait for better call Saul

14. Scott McGill says:

In my opinion Skylars character was perfectly written, and I cannot wait for “better call Saul”