It's Official! Rosie O'Donnell Returning to The View for Season 18

Rosie ODonnell Returning The View

Somebody give Elisabeth Hasselbeck a hug. Or a tranquilizer.

ABC confirmed via Twitter today that Rosie O’Donnell is returning as a co-host on The View for Season 18, joining moderator Whoopi Goldberg, as the daytime talker undergoes a summer facelift.

VIDEO Elisabeth Hasselbeck Unleashes Anti-Rosie Tirade

ABC’s confirmation of O’Donnell’s return comes less than two weeks after word broke that both Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy will be parting ways with the chatfest — news that each of the ladies confirmed on Monday’s telecast.

RELATED The View: 13 Nightmare Replacement Hosts

O’Donnell previously cohosted The View during its 2006-07 cycle. In 2011, she launched The Rosie Show on Orpah Winfrey’s OWN network, but it lasted less than a year.

On two occasions in 2014, O’Donnell returned to The View, first in February and more recently as part of a “reunion” of all the show’s hosts, as tribute to boss and departing panelist Barbara Walters.

Excited that O’Donnell will officiall return to the show? Or would you have preferred someone new? Sound off below!

1. Stacy says:

I haven’t watched The View since Rosie left. I hope the ratings soar with her return if only to annoy Elizabeth.

2. Steven says:

Ugh… Sounds like they’re about to ruin the show. Whoopi cryptic comments at the top of the show were fascinating

3. mdbchud says:

Haven’t watched for years, definitely won’t now.

• Megan says:

I just deleted this show from my DVR. Ugh I can not stand Rosie. I think she is loud and doesn’t listen she has bullied more then one person on the show through the years. I do not agree with her methods when she disagrees with others.

4. ES says:

I am more likely to watch now after avoiding the show for the past year. Suck it reality show celebrity.

5. Bender says:

Why?

6. sanchopanza says:

Takes care of me ever watching it again even if all the other stations are pre-empted for weather reports or whatever.

7. Sabrina says:

This may get me to watch again! It has just been a horrible year this year as they focused on “reality” and not on real news stories. I think Whoopi and Rosie together could be a really fascinating show…now to bring on Ali Wentworth and Diane Sawyer to round it out.

8. Ally Oop says:

Hmmm. I’m not sure this was a good move for the show. I have serious concerns about whether or not Rosie can work well in a group.

9. YAY, I will finally watch again.

10. Bryce says:

I find it interesting that she is coming back after everybody left who she previously co-hosted with. I don’t have anything really against Rosie but I wonder if she actually got along with any of the co-hosts at all.

11. TL says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER!

12. alistaircrane says:

Super-happy about this! I don’t love The View’s format, but I did love Rosie’s original talk show. I think I might just give The View a chance this time, especially with Barbara gone.

13. Dan says:

I’ll watch a few episodes for the first time ever just to piss off that bad dye job hag, Elizabeth.

14. Cathy says:

And the countdown to Hasslebeck’s head exploding begins.

15. vicki says:

Well one more reason not to watch “The View”. As if Sherrie Shepard wasn’t enough reason not to watch, now we have Rosie? Ew

16. Robby Horine says:

It’s OFFICIAL! DREW CAREY’S RATINGS ARE GOING TO TRIPLE!

17. ellen kendrick says:

The day Rosie O’Donnel returns is the day I stop watching. She is mean and nasty.

• O-Town says:

And this is based on what you watched on tv towards someone you probably liked better and was easy on the eyes and resembled the people in your community, like say Elisabeth Hasselbeck? I’m not quick to judge people based on what you see on tv. Rosie O’Donnell was amazing in her original talk show. A lot of her opinions that Ms. Hasselbeck was quick to dismiss were counter to her religious and conservative upbringing and forgive the tackleberries out of me, but Rosie represented my views and the views of the changing world that wasn’t stuck on the the way things were in the 1950s. Unless of course, Rosie O’Donnell physically harmed you or pushed your elderly parents down, then I apologize. Your comment that she’s mean and nasty would have merit at that point. If your judgment comes from how she addressed that awful Elisabeth Hasselbeck, then you’ll forgive me if I correct you.

• Marissa-Elise says:

She is not mean and nasty she is passionate about things she feels that are close to her heart. Everything she stands for are equality and deeply wants our troops home. What is nasty about that?

18. Leila J says:

I will give it a chance. I will watch the season premiere at the very least. If it doesn’t work this time around, it may be time to stick a fork in The View. I don’t know what has happened to that show. When Meredith left, it hurt. Then when Star left, I didn’t really care, but my what an exit! Did you see Barbara’s face! Clearly, she did not approve that message! Then all the “young one” exits – Debbie, Lisa, Elisabeth. Then Joy leaves, ugh!!! Can’t take it! Just too much! Now Sherri and Jenny are out and Rosie is back! I just don’t know. Then there are rumors that they might add a guy to the table or Sarah Palin to the table. I just don’t know what they are thinking over there, but The View will never have the same charm it had when it first debuted and that is what I truly wish would make a return!

• Drew says:

Sarah Palin will not host The View. For starters, it is beneath her. This is a woman who writes a book and has people lined up around the corner for a signing. A woman who voices support for a dark horse candidate and watches them win an election by a landslide because of her backing. She is not a desperate former celebrity who needs any job she can get. People are free to dislike her all they want, but facts are facts. I strongly dislike Beyonce, but that doesn’t mean that I expect her to be playing county fairs instead of stadiums.
      Also, so lives in Alaska. If she were going to move, she would have done it a long time ago.

• Tom says:

What does it look like up Sarah Palin’s butt? Asking for a friend.

• Drew says:

Funny. But you obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. Palin attracts more people than Hillary Clinton, who many expect to be the lead candidate for President in the next election. Clinton’s book did horribly when it was released. Like I said, you can hate Palin all you want, but ignoring reality just makes you delusional.

• Leila J says:

Too bad. She would have been interesting to watch. She has tons of opinions and supporters. She would have brought the viewers the show so desperately needs. She and Rosie’s differing views would have brought the fireworks, that’s for damn sure! Oh well…I am sure there will still be fireworks anyway!

• Drew says:

True. But interviewing Kardashians would probably not be on Palin’s bucket list. She is a political pundit, with clear goals of making changes to the political landscape. A daytime talk show wouldn’t help that, even if there was a way to make the Alaska/New York thing work.
          There are many, many intelligent, outspoken, strong conservative journalists or activists to choose from. I suspect that Palin’s name is coming up so often because a lot of people can’t really think of any other conservative women who could do the job. But there are many pundits and journalists who would do a great job… If the producers were interested in anything more than cheap daytime thrills and attention grabbing fireworks. Since they don’t seem to be interested in intelligent conversation, I would expect someone like Meghan McCain, who is nothing but fluff… and nowhere near the conservative that she tries to pretend to be. The producers will probably seek out an airhead “conservative” just so they can pretend to have balance.

• O-Town says:

How effective is it to make changes to the political landscape when you effectively resign from your appointed post, to cash in on a tv deal? That’s a quitter, in’t it?

• Drew says:

Do you know how much money it was costing the state of Alaska every day that Palin remained in office? After her VP run, when people started hating her and accusing her of everything from burning Harry Potter books to faking her own pregnancy, she was being sued non-stop. Not only was that costing the state money, but it was keeping her from performing her duties as governor to the best of her ability. So, do I think it was quitting? No. I think that it was putting the welfare of the people before her own political gain, because if what she wanted was more power, she could have dragged that state down and stepped on its twisted corpse on her way to the White House. But she didn’t.
            Palin actually accomplished a lot while she was in office. If you want to criticize her, why don’t you criticize her track record, and not the one fact that you know about her, which you probably picked up from someone telling a joke about it on Comedy Central.

You know what I’m seeing from the two people here who have responded to me? I’m seeing the same talking points that have been kicked around since 2008. You’d think that Palin hadn’t made a speech or released a book since then, because they’re not even talking about what Palin does or what she believes. They’re talking about the things that they’ve heard other people say about Palin, while remaining so vague on the subject that I have to believe that they couldn’t list any actual examples of what Palin says that is “word salad” or “incorrect”… without looking it up on the internet.
            You don’t think she’s a good mother? Good for you. You want to crack jokes about her not naming a newspaper in the Katie Couric interview? Whatever. I could get into those topics, but they’re kinda played out at this point, aren’t they? What next, a comment about her seeing Russia from her house?
            How about this… You tell me what Sarah Palin believes and what her views are. Then tell me why she’s so darn awful for it. Because how different is it for those people who want a book signed to love her for reasons they can’t explain and for you to hate her for reasons that you can’t explain?

• O-Town says:

There was this interview piece that I found online where someone went to one of Ms. Palin’s book signings. They asked about 30 people about Ms. Palin’s governmental beliefs and what-nots and not one of them could come up with one. They commented on what a wonderful mother she was and overlooked how she couldn’t get her own daughter to practice abstinence until she got married. They commented on how she was victimized by Katie Couric who asked her what newspapers did she read, overlooking how difficult it is to recall the names of those fancy papers with no pictures in them. But not one of them knew what Ms. Palin’s political platform was. How quaint. I highly doubt any of those people read those books they had her sign. It’s probably on their coffee tables, as a conversation starter.

• Cathy says:

Palin will not host The View because ABC ( or any other major network) would never offer her a job. This is a woman who bailed on her job as Governor when she realized she could make more money on the speaking circuit – just couldn’t work “for the good people of Alaska who elected me” as she said for a couple more months. And when you do listen to her speak in interviews ( and I have tried!) she spouts word salad and statements or concepts that are often incorrect or just don’t make sense. My sister-in-law, who lives in Alaska and voted for her for Governor, says that Palin is not well liked. Ow and she and her family are kind of a joke there now.
        Palin will say anything controversial to keep her name in the news and out there for the VERY SMALL group of supporters she has.

19. Amanda says:

Honestly, this could be interesting. Rosie is known for her over-talking and somewhat bullying behaviors, but I want to see how she goes up against Whoopi. Cause I don’t think Whoopi would take that mess from her and with Whoopi being the Moderator, I wonder if we would see a kinder side of Rosie. When Rosie was on the last time, there was really no one there to stand up to her, Elisabeth tried, but she really wasn’t a match….Whoopi on the other hand and throw it right back at her…this will be interesting!

20. Drew says:

If the goal was to try to get the show back to a place of serious discussion and debate, they have failed miserably. If the goal was to boost ratings by hiring a psycho mental patient that most people (of both political parties) dislike on a basic level, they’re as crazy as she is. This will get them a few headlines when she starts going on about George Bush planning 9/11 or some crazy sh** like that, but I know very few people who can stomach this woman. She isn’t just another point of view, she is a horrible, disgusting troll of a woman. This will be the death of The View.

• O-Town says:

How relevant is George Bush still, when we have other less intelligent Republicans to point and laugh at?

• Drew says:

Said the person who was just talking about an inconsequential comment that Sarah Palin made in an interview six years ago.
        I was giving an example of Rosie’s guano craziness. And after all these years, it’s still pretty valid. It’s not the George Bush part that matters, it’s the fact that she thinks that 9/11 was a big government conspiracy, which is not a small amount of crazy. In the realm of people who wear tin foil hats, the 9/11 truthers pretty much beat out the moon landing crazies, the JFK crazies and the “Elvis is alive” crazies… combined.

21. NoMore Babs says:

The View has been irrelevant for years. Now it’s irrellevant and annoying. What I always said Barbara Walters was TV’s 1st media whore.

22. Tran says:

The View is about to go from bad to worse not even “ratings”. :-(

23. JD says:

Excited!! Rosie is the best!!!

• D. says:

maybe Ahab or Japanese whalers will get to her first. she’s horrible

• Kay says:

You don’t have to like her, but this is an extremely mean comment. Especially in reply to someone merely stating their own excitement.

• O-Town says:

Or she could actually bring the View back up from the mind-numbing talk-fest that went on after she left. Is there any other stereotypes you want to use or do you want this statement to be your defining moment of intelligence?

• Not only is this incredibly mean and totally pointless, it is also inaccurate. Have you seen Rosie lately? She’s lost a lot of weight. I don’t care for her, but she’s much healthier than she’s been in a long time.

24. Brandy says:

Nope. Of all past cohosts, she’s at the bottom of the list for me. If the other cohosts are half as annoying, there’s no way I will bother to tune in.

25. D. says:

she is so horrible, she’s a loud mouth, foul, bully that will run over everyone else on the show. She and whoopi are too alike politically so there is no point in even having anyone else.

26. GLO says:

The show has change so much a group of women talking at the same time about people personal lives in the news or showbiz. It does matter who host the show opinions with no real information including Whoopi. Easy to turn off.

27. Cathy says:

Hasslebeck’s comments about all of this were classless, tacky,, incorrect and uncalled for. Too bad she didn’t learn a little about class and grace working with Barbara Walters for so long . She needs to get over it. And she should not comment on another person’s patriotism when all she herself does is talk a lot about it and run races (self serving) holding a flag. Give me a break.
    I hope The View returns to being the informative, interesting show it was a few years back. No more co-hosts who say they don’t have time to research what they are discussing, who spout off word salad gibberish, or who are unable to participate in a civil, cogent debate or discussion. Fingers crossed.

• TL says:

Yup! totally classless and tacky. It was disappointing.

• ok says:

I agree. I really did expect more from her. It was a while ago and would’ve thought Elisabeth would’ve gotten past it by now but it looks like it really bothered her for her to be holding such a grudge till this day. I wish she had taken the high road.

28. Jrs says:

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Cow!

29. Kim R says:

Excellent. :)

30. Jared says:

Awesome news. She’s great in this type of atmosphere! Gonna be a lot if fun for this season.

31. Definitely not happy that Rosie is returning. But, I will decide whether or not I will watch based on who else joins the panel.

32. Karen says:

Orpah Winfrey?

33. arial2 says:

As long as the show has the good sense to continue with Whoopi as the moderator, I’m fine with Rosie returning. Rosie needs someone to gently, yet sternly, remind her when she takes things too far. I’ve come to think of Whoopi as The View’s version of Hetty Lange (NCIS: LA).

34. Dani says:

It’s great to have Rosie back. And if it annoys Elizabeth a bit more, I’m more than satisfied.

35. Diane Aiello says:

Someone new please. Not Rosie, she is a big mouth pig! She is so far left, she sits in Russia!

36. Johnny says:

I do not dislike Rosie O’Donnell. I used to love her original talk show, but at the end of that, she started coming across as very angry and bitter. Then she came out of the closet and became more angry and bitter. During her first run on the view, it seemed like she wanted to use the platform to create controversy in a confrontational way. Now, I’m not a fan of Elisabeth, but I do think Rosie’s attack of her was over the top, just like Rosie’s attack on Kelly Rippa. So, if this is just to create that kind of sensational circus type of show – I think people are tired of that and will tune out. I am curious to see what happens.

• ok says:

I agree with you about Rosie – I loved her original show. I loved her fangirling over celebrities. It was a lot of fun. I think she is intelligent and agree with some of her views but not all. I didn’t like the way she presented herself on the View the first go around. Here’s hoping she has mellowed and is more open to having intelligent conversations, not loud screaming matches. I will give it a try and decide if I stick with it or not.

37. Ang. says:

Definitely will NOT be watching. Rosie is rude to people who don’t agree with her. I liked her a long time ago when she had her show, but did not like her on the View.

38. Elizabeth Hasselback needs o grow up. Rosie has more talent in her foot than Elizabeth will ever have. I loved Rosie and she was right to stand up to Hassleback. Glad you’re back Rosie and Glad Whoopi will still be thee also. Bring it on girls!!!!!

39. Darcy Wilson says:

All the negative comments are “oh Rosie is mean, Rosie is a bully, Rosie just wants everyone to agree with her”
    Well so? Every host on this show is exactly the same, especially recently. The difference is Rosie has a brain and something intelligent to say and argue over. I’ll take a loud, abrasive SMART woman over the likes of Sherri and Jenny any day.

40. lla says:

I think this is probably a mistake. I liked Rosie on her talk show way back when. Didn’t like her on The View very much. I think it’s partly because she took over for Meredith Vieira as moderator. MV was very good in that position. She’s bright, well read, good sense of humor–and was usually impartial. She wasn’t over powering as moderator–but she set the perfect tone for the show. The View has never been as good since she left–not even close.

Rosie was not meant to be a moderator. I guess she’s going to be part of the panel this time around. However, her personality is so strong–how will she do as just one of the co-hosts? I don’t think that will work for her. Rosie also has to realize that there are different sides to many issues–not sure her opinion. I would often turn the channel cause all the fighting was stressful to watch.

Whoopi does an ok job–sometimes impartial–but not in the same way MV ran the show. I can’t even see these two on the same couch. Not because they are both women–but because it’s gonna be two huge forces of nature. Could be overwhelming for the audience.

The View has really gone adrift over time. The show is less about important/interesting topics and more about fluff.

41. Carolyn says:

I have always liked and respected Rosie O’Donnell! I’ll be happy to see her back in September, and as for the comments by Elisabeth Hasselbeck, I would say that it’s been seven years since the little tirade on the show—you have to go on with your life and leave the past in the past!!

42. leo21 says:

How can you promise the viewers something new by pulling someone out of the past who was pushed away for being a PITA?

43. Bobby says:

Love it. I’ll definitely be watching.

44. ldypngn says:

Add Oprah and you have a surefire way to get me to NEVER watch this steaming pile of crap.

45. Gil says:

ANYONE BUT ROSIE

46. Jill Moy says:

YUK! She is so ugly and she thinks she’s wonderful! She is so homely I can’t look at her!

SEND HER HOME!

47. Rob Mead says:

I was happy to hear this news. The View started circling the drain pipe when they brought in Sherry Shepard. She was THE worst interviewer ever & she sounded like she hadn’t finished high school. So after the show finally trained her to be a little more professional, which took years while we had to watch, the hatchet finally fell. I would have been sick to my stomach if they had said Hasselwoman was returning! She was so proud of one of the worst President’s ever.

48. Down to one good one. Don’t rehash those who all left for a reason. Maybe it is time for the Show to finish. It certainly has for me

49. Bozo says:

Rosie isn’t completely worthless, she can always serve as a bad example!