Scoop: Glee's Final Season Episode Count (Finally) Revealed

glee-season-5-finale-first-look-photos-rachel-berry-project

Fox finally has Glee‘s number.

After months of deliberations with series cocreator Ryan Murphy and 20th TV, the network has decided that the show’s sixth and final season will consist of 13 (uninterrupted) episodes, TVLine has learned.

RELATED Glee Exclusive: Naya Rivera Returning for Final Season — But There’s a Catch

Back in May, then-Fox president Kevin Reilly hinted that Glee‘s farewell season, originally slated to be 22 episodes, would likely be trimmed. “We’re going to sit down and talk [to exec producer Ryan Murphy] about how to end the show and how many that is,” he said at the time.

Murphy, meanwhile, recently told TVLine that the series is “getting back to its roots” in Season 6. “I’m sort of reinvigorated about it,” he enthused. “It’s getting back to what I was initially interested in with the show, which was arts in school. The last season is really about the importance of arts education in our high schools… I think people will like it.”

Glee is set to return at midseason.

1. TJA says:

That’s 13 too many! They can’t fix the mess they made with S4 & S5 so why bother!

• Paul says:

Who’s holding a gun to your head forcing you to watch. The whining on here about how much (insert show here) has sucked since season 1 is really getting old. It doesn’t matter of it’s Glee, True Blood, or the Good Wife, there’s always a core group of haters that got nothing better to do then post their inane ramblings about how the show isn’t as “good as when it first started” or “it’s a mess now” or “it really jumped the shark”. You don’t like a show, then don’t watch it. I know that’s a tired cliche, but it’s the truth. Don’t waste your time or ours complaining about a show you don’t even like. Sure I could easily skip over your incoherent babble, but I think it’s about time you heard this.

• Suhail says:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

• Dean says:

Amen, bro!

• Jillian says:

PREACH!

• Bill says:

Amen, and amen!!!

• anna says:

totally agree with paul… plus if you hate the show that much, why click on an article about it and then comment? that’s just sad…

• Rena Moretti says:

My response to that is why not?

This isn’t a fan site.

People are allowed to have their opinions. It’s YOUR problem is you or anyone else cannot tolerate reading things they disagree with (or simple evidence like “Glee has had bad ratings and arguably was never much of a hit”).

• eman says:

Preach!

• joncuriel says:

Whooaaaa, clearly not a real Glee fan

• Jules says:

Preach it Paul! But I have to say it is a lot different then it was in season 1 but that’s mainly because Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson) isn’t on it anymore and the Glee people are trying their best to make sure it’s still a good show to watch until it actually ends. I like that they are going to try and take it back to the arts in the high schools and New York or whatever their trying to do cuz there was a lot of drama after Cory (Finn) passed away which is understandable watch Finn’s family and friends move on with there lives knowing Finn won’t be returning and us as fans that season of drama of finding out how the cast was going to try and move on helped us try to move on with our lives but not to ever forget Cory or Finn. R.I.P. Cory Monteith you are missed!

• I don’t want to get involved in the say something nice about Glee or you are not welcomed here, BUT it has been difficult to watch without Finn as the everybody’s hero kind of guy. He had a remarkable presence on the show even he was portrayed as a Lima loser. Even though it’s been a year, I’m not sure if I can watch a season 6. It won’t be a wrap up happy ending.

• Sandy says:

I don’t feel the same with you and a lot of people don’t, too. The makers have good heads on their shoulders, no matter what happened they should’ve been able to create an equally wonderful story – without Cory, even. no need to blame on a dead person. We need to move on with life, maybe the reason why people think Glee “sucks” now is because the the creator and some cast have not moved on from his death.

• Jennifer says:

Bravo! I agree. I think people on the internet need to practice what their mother should have taught them: “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

• Rena Moretti says:

Nobody’s forcing us. That’s why the show has horrible ratings.

I do think, however, that it’s completely germane to be sad a better show won’t be made just so FOX can continue to collect bad ratings from a show that never impressed in that respect anyway.

• Carol A says:

OMG’ness…. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• KC says:

13 is not enough, but I’ll take it.

2. Gerald says:

They are going to have to come up with some terrible plot devises to get the original characters back into a “High School” arts club.
    My fear is that they are going to have Rachel star in a TV show set in a High School Glee Club.

• rawley says:

The whole TV show story is what officially pushed me over the edge with this show. It’s why I won’t be back. I’m honestly shocked they got 13 episodes, they didn’t deserve more than 6.

• BitterGleeFan says:

After the crap that was S4 they didn’t deserve a S5 OR S6! I had hope they would redeem themselves in S5 but after Cory died they lost the ability to fix it. I will forever be bitter they turned Finn into a Lima Loser and destroyed Finchel and gave us meaningless SL’s and music featuring Newbies and Blam

• Seriously? says:

Finn wasn’t a Lima loser… He was going to college and he finally had a dream of becoming a teacher. Just staying in Lima doesn’t make you a “Lima loser.” Being a “Lima loser” means you didn’t try to make anything of yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a teacher and it certainly doesn’t make you a loser. It makes you admirable.

On the other hand, I had no problem with them destroying Finchel. The relationship was toxic and would never last in the real world.

• Khrystelle says:

I think that BitterGleeFan was meaning was that they took SO LONG in season 4 to give finn a direction, that he really didn’t get to live out his potential. He wasn’t a lima loser, but he didn’t get to where anyone one wanted him.:(

• They started the Lima loser thing in Season 3 when he couldn’t decide what he wanted to do and just going to college to find that out wasn’t a reasonable solution. He was good as a teacher in Season 4 and I thought that was perfect for him. Then, he’s gone. I’m still so sad about it.

• Carol A says:

How in the world did they destroy Finchel????? No one knew that Cory Montieth was going to die. How the show was written with Rachel in New York was great, it has her moving on. Glee is a great show, but I am looking at the progress that has been made from the different story lines.
          Sue’s sister’s death and her actually showing feelings.
          Shanon’s marriage to Cooter and the domestic abuse she went through.
          The School shooting.
          Will and Emma actually getting together.
          Adam Lambert!!!!
          Brittney and Santana reunion.
          Quinn and Puck getting together.
          Rachel meeting her mom.
          I could go on and on, but if you are a true Gleester then you understand.
          Now we get to meet and watch some talented new students, It just makes me so mad that this is the last season, I think we need more!

• ZisforZombie says:

That is totally what they are doing – I just know it. Murphy keeps saying they are getting back to their roots, so they are going to do a Rachel Berry TV show that mimic’s the first season.

3. Umm NO says:

13 episodes of Blamchele/DeLeaStreet, HELL 2 THE NO THANK YOU! Sorry Lea but not even you can make Chord Overstreet watchable!

4. mike says:

Back in April, you guys did an interview with Ryan Murphy and he said that one of the co-creators would give us more scoop this summer. Have u guys obtain any scoop from the final season, Michael?

5. jamz says:

A show that gets a .6 season finale manages thirteen more episodes? i wouldn’t have given them more than a two hour movie.

• KC says:

Good thing you don’t have a say in it!

• Kimmi says:

I want to forget that season finale ever happened. I have stuck by glee since the pilot, and loved it through the growing pains. But I seriously wanted that hour of my life back. I hope they can bring it back to some of it’s glory in this last season. I’ll be watching… Faithfully. :-).

• Colleen says:

Amen! I’ll always love Glee, but it’s been a struggle to stay a fan if a show that even I have a hard time getting through lately

• Miles says:

I defiantly think that they should have made a movie instead of a 13 episode season! I think it would have ended the series much faster and better, not to mention, I really would have liked to see a GLEE movie. Like it or not, that shows a legend and everybody’s heard of it. I think it would have gotten better publicity and raving fan reviews instead of an (approxametely) nine and a half hour season.

6. Suhail says:

Old news.

7. Erika F says:

Thank you :) I’ve been along from the ride from the beginning, so I feel obligated to see it through to the end. I’m so glad it will be a shorter season.

• David says:

^^^^This. So much this. ^^^^

• Carly says:

Same here. I have been watching it since the beginning, too, and it’s really starting to go downhill. The beginning is why I fell in love with the show so I’m excited for them to take it back.

8. alistaircrane says:

Going back to its roots after they shifted the action to New York and got rid of the high school in Lima? Ummmmm…..

• Miles says:

I agree. As much as I adored the first three seasons, seasons four and up sucked. I know its not realistic but I really would have loved to see the cast staying close, and the original cast holding there ground. I was NOT a fan of the new cast, I didn’t care about them. Even if it meant ending the show back in season four, they should have kept the storyline about the original group! Everything was so much more happy and inspiring, now its just making me bored and sick! New York was a fail of a new setting. The Glee I know and love was about a group of teenagers, who got through the painful process of high school, together. I think that the fourth season should have been final and focused on what they achieved in the aftermath of high school because of each other, each episode about each character. I think that would have been much more satisfying a entertaining to watch.

9. Leonard says:

That kinda sucks. Because of the only 20 Episodes Season 5 they originally promised us 24 Episodes for the final Season, and now we’re only getting 13(!) Episodes? Highly unfair.

• Hi says:

The ratings are horrible and it’s not making money for FOX anymore. Be happy you’re getting any episodes at all! A lot of networks would have cancelled the show.

10. Et. Al says:

Ryan Murphy: okay guys. Clear a final 65 songs. Any 65 will do. We’ll write around them.

11. Tom Charles says:

No Emma, no Quinn, No Santanna, Yes Sam Yes Rachael, I’m bot interested.

12. Andrew Hass says:

I’m fine that Glee will only have 13 episodes for their final season because sometimes the fewer the episodes the better the season could be.However just because it’s 13 episodes now doesn’t mean the show won’t get more later.If i remember correctly in 7th Heaven’s final season it was originally going to be 13 episodes or so but then the CW network extended them.

• Suhail says:

That won’t be happening with Glee, trust me.
      The ratings for season 5 were beyond horrible and FOX is obligated to do season 6 because of the double season renewal.

• rawley says:

They’re not getting more later because they’re already holding the show until midseason. So what you’re saying makes no sense.

13. Jenny says:

Less episodes, less Klaine. The biggest positive of all (besides the long awaited end to a series that peaked four years ago).

• Lin says:

Sadly I agree. Glee could have been such a great platform for the positive portrayal of a lgbt+ couple, but they just totally f**ked it up. At this point, the only thing that could ever make me consider watching this ailing show again, would be a final breakup of this toxic mess of a relationship. Considerably less focus on Blaine couldn‘t hurt either.

14. ben says:

I still hope the ratings will be so good, there will be a season 7 and more! Or, that there will be a spinoff series!

• tim says:

You do realize with your logic Glee should not be on at all right now. They were the lowest scripted show to get a renewal and that is only because they signed a 2 year agreement in S4. They should have already been cancelled.

• ben says:

With Ryan’s attention having been on so many other projects, he now says he is reinvigorated about Glee, and he is now focused on Glee’s season six! So with Ryan focused again and back at the helm.I believe Season 6 episodes will be so good again, the ratings will rise! And a season 7 will result!

• Matt says:

You poor thing.

• gina says:

Please let Glee go on so we see a Kurt and Blaine wedding and characters move in a new York setting and transform schools a finish college. So many directions. I wish they wrote in last season Rachel being pregnant by Finn from the duet we got tonight they spent last night together and last song preformed together before his death

15. karen says:

The people who loved Glee the most are now the people who hate Glee the most. To take a show that people loved so much……

• Exactly. The people with complaints are the ones who watched it on FOX from day one, not the ones who binge watched season 1 as soon as it came on Netflix. These are the fans that have actually cared about the show from the beginning, meaning that the complaints are actually legitimate.

16. Thank you very much you are definitely making my day here because I love Glee so much right now. I bet Klaine will be happy with me because they are my 2 special boys ever. Send my love to Klaine please. Hannah Hummel Anderson xx.

17. KC says:

I am very glad Glee is getting the 13 episodes season – which is the norm for FOX. It will also air consecutively – terrific…can’t wait!!

18. Ronnie says:

13 episodes is a good way to tie things up. It’s better than what some shoes get. I’m hoping the story lines will focus on how important the arts were to each of the glee kids. I do think that it will end with Sue’s character going to jail for abusing school funds just to destroy the arts.

19. acurat says:

Please, if anyone thought this was a surprise has their head in a hole in the ground . Fox made a multi-year commitment to this show that ran one season too long. I am sure Fox would not have another season if they could with the ratings it had at the end of last year. There is little show to wrap up. Many of the main characters are gone (Diane Aguron just being one of many, too many to list), and the original characters have “aged out” of high school and their adventures out of high school just have not been quite as good. This is a nice, quick way to say goodbye and it may even be a midseason replacment for another new show that fails.

20. Fan says:

It’s like watching an old friend make a fool of themselves publicly over and over again. End the show please. Just 13 more thank God!

21. Ellymae says:

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan… you are so good at writing incredible, loveable, (and more importantly likeable) characters… but you’re equally good at getting bored with them and killing them. Except your killing isn’t immediate (as you had us thinking about Quinn in her texting accident cliff-hanger). No, your killing is slow and painful and torturous – not for the characters but for the audience. You build us up, then drop the ball on story lines and relationships. Sometimes that happens over time, sometimes it is week-to-week.

I’ve not bothered to watch any of your other shows because I don’t want to invest any more of my time in vanishing characters and dead-end plots and subplots that started strong then simply stop. It’s a shame, because I think you’re probably one of the best creative minds there is, as far as concepts go.

• Clara says:

I agree. Ryan loses interest and let’s his shows die. He moved on to other things and let Glee slip away. He ripped us off.

• Lin says:

I totally agree. I’ll never watch a show or movie by Ryan Murphy again, because he’s just unable to sustain quality. He should give up working as a showrunner and confine himself to developing new concepts.

• Kimmi says:

It happened with nip tuck. It was like crack the first three seasons. Then shock value took over and it was too much to deal with.

• Rena Moretti says:

I agree with both of you except that I didn’t like most Ryan Murphy shows in the first place. I found them to be empty and over-hyped and like you described the further seasons from the start.

The one exception is Terriers, which while I didn’t love it (not a particularly well-made show), I was surprised to like and care for the characters.

22. Sian says:

I love glee I can’t wait for season 6 or 5 I’ve never seen number 5 yet and my new school is gunna have a stage for me or anybody to sing in it and can I please ask a question it’s for lea Michele what are you gunna do when glee is finishes??? xx

23. Lisa says:

this would be the first uninterrupted 13-episode run since the show’s first season, no? maybe it’d be good for them not to change tone every three episodes based on popular response…

24. SianWilliams says:

I love glee I can’t wait for season 6 or 5 I haven’t seen season 5 yet x

25. Katie says:

Not that I don’t love the idea of the ND being resurrected but I don’t look forward to the final season being about the old “kids” being back in Lima teaching or running the ND.

26. joncuriel says:

They better have Jenna Ushkowitz in at least 9 of them, or else I am not watching nor buying any music or dvd’s

• KC says:

Unfortunately Tina is just not popular, so she will probably only be in 3 eps.

• TinaCohenChang4Ever says:

I AGREE!!! I stopped watching Glee since Tina was gone. I really hope that she’d be back for the final season. (And I hope she ends up with Artie.)

27. Blake says:

I really want Jayma Mays (Emma Pilsberry) to come back. I want her and Will to have some time with a child because that would close that scene :) I really want all of the original glee members to come back and I want sugar and ziseys back too!

28. kay says:

On with the show. 13 episodes with no interruption is better than nothing.

29. I will be watching all 13 episodes, I love Glee and wish it wasn’t ending. I wish they would bring the Warblers back as they sounded great!! Maybe a new show called The Warblers and have Blaine back in the group. Just saying….

30. Sil says:

I was a diehard can’t wait for the next episode Glee fan for 2 seasons. Since season 4 started my desire to watch has dwindled to nothing now. I’m glad for Glee to get to finish their stories and end the series as it should. I feel that 13 episodes is a generous number for Glee. I’m a diehard fan of 2 shows now. Orphan Black which has only 12 episodes a season and Orange is the New Black. These shows really outshine in quality over Glee IMO. So, I hope that Glee really puts forth some effort in good writing and really thinks the plot lines through tail the of Glee. Glee’s bane, IMO, has been throwing together a story for an episode just for sensationalism of some current event. That just turned me off the show totally. I hope you all who love the show get to enjoy season 6 to its fullest.

31. Jerri says:

That’s 12 episodes too many.

32. Renee says:

Glee started getting toxic mid season 3. When they graduated half the originals, it took a turn for the worse. The break up put them on life support and they had a little brain activity during Diva and eps.100 and 101. They took a talented Naya Rivera and pushed her to the background to be a prop for LM and crammed Daleastreet down our throats. Samcedes wasn’t cute anymore cuz chord is a tool that was promoting him and Brittany or Quinn before the finale was over. RM gets bored and his shows reflect it. They brought the wrong ppl to NY. They lost 1.1 million viewers in 7 episodes. Clearly not what the fans want. I have watched from the beginning. Bought the dvd’s, downloaded music and went to the 3D movie. I even bought the movie in 3D so I had to buy a tv to play it on. But season 6 doesn’t sound good. Not with who is coming back as regulars. They weren’t good in season 5 so why put us and them through it again. If they could bring everybody back and make it plausible that would be great. But they can’t so I just don’t know if I can put myself through anymore misery.

• I don’t know what it is about TVLine commenters but I never read anything like this level of negativity on any other website. Too many whining losers complaining because they don’t get their own way. Well the world doesn’t revolve around any of you and Glee will finish as planned despite many of you and your stupid opinions.

Its not the Lea Michele show or the anybody-else show. Its an ensemble cast even though some are used more than others. That’s how the real world works. And as for all the Cory worship..yes he died….the show didn’t. But to treat it as if he was the only good thing on the show is totally insulting to the rest of the cast.

• Wow, aren’t you special. How does telling people what to do and think work out for you? Are you looking to get your own way here? And, the show did sort of die of viewership. For many weeks last season, it was clearly the lowest rated show. The show started its decline before Cory died so it can’t all be attributed to his death.

33. Jeff says:

I love Glee, and even though everyone knows the show isn’t as good as it used to be, I still enjoy watching it and can appreciate all the messages the show has taught me and others since it began in 2009. The cast is very talented and seem likeable in interviews. There were many good episodes that dealt with tough subjects and many funny and sad moments over the course of the show. You couldn’t expect Season 5 to be as good once Cory sadly passed away a year ago, which came as a shock to all as I’m sure he would’ve been a big factor in their plans for that season and beyond. And you couldn’t expect newer characters to be as liked once all the original cast members graduated as the dynamic chaned.
    I look forward to the final 13 episodes and hope it rebounds and does go back to its original roots at the high school as Ryan Murphy mentioned. Regardless, Glee will always be an important show to me and I thank everyone involved.

34. Cas says:

A “real” glee fan wouldn’t continue to watch this garbage. The show hasn’t been the same since 1st season. While the 2nd and 3rd seasons weren’t great but at least the writers made some effort. Season 4 and 5 were a waste. The only thing good about 4 was Cory(RIP) . Ryan turned his back on his fans a long time ago and he’s just pouring salt in their wounds now. Pathetic!

• Melendez says:

A “real” Glee fan is a person that likes Glee, not everything, but it would be a show a person is interested in. Some fans may watch, some fans may not. Everyone has their own opinion and you shouldn’t be talking for everyone or trying to mindlessly define what a “real Glee fan” is, you are not the queen of the world to decide that kind of stuff.

35. Christi Johnson says:

Sam and Mercedes , Brittana(Brittany and Santana)
    Klain(Kurt and Blain)
    Quick ( Quinn and Puck )and
    Ryley(Marley and Ryder) have to be together

36. Diana says:

I have watched since season 1. It is a long sad decline…HATE ‘Unique’, Marley, Ryder, The only really good new character is Puck’s brother. Where is he?? Where is Mr Shu?? Where is Sue Sylvester?? Where is Quinn?? Where is Puck?? Where are the characters that made the show so much fun?? Sorry, but for Rachel to get a Broadway show just like that….and Mercedes to get a record contract? Riiiiiiiiight. Anyway, yes, please, go back to your roots. Get the characters that made the show worth watching back on.

37. Jacqueline says:

Who is going to be back on glee I know lea is and naya Jenna and amber who else.

38. Abbie says:

I wish they were doing a full season of 22 episodes, but I guess it really doesn’t matter as long as they make it a great season. I just want to see Kurt and Blaine’s wedding and hoping to see Matt Bomer come back to play Blaine’s brother Cooper. Ryan Murphy better not f*ck this season up like the 4th season.

39. What does uninterrupted mean?? No commercials?

40. Sofia says:

All I’m saying is that there better be a Klaine (Kurt and Blaine) wedding. There’s no point in having more episodes if it’s all going to be about Rachel just like A LOT of Glee. All I’m saying is that it’s time that Klaine got a couple of episodes that are theirs. Go Klaine!!! 👬😍💍

41. Fonda says:

I’m kinda disappointed that there’s only gonna be 13 episodes. I hope that kurt and blaine get married that’s what I’m really looking forward to.

42. Kristina says:

I think this is a good thing. Most everyone seems to agree the first 13 eps were the best of the series, being written as one cohesive storyline. I tuned out the last couple seasons but I may check the last one out.

43. MysteryTVTheater says:

I am so tired of seeing Glee everywhere. They should have ended that after they won Nationals. I haven’t watched it since, but it is everywhere! Can’t wait for it and Once Upon a Time to end!

44. Phee says:

After six seasons, Glee honestly deserve more episodes. It’s such a shame that because one of the main characters died, and the last two seasons have been a little bit of a let down that so many people are hating on this show! Two seasons have sucked a bit, yes, but let’s not forget about the three we had that we’re amazing! I have been a Glee fan since the very beginning and will continue to watch it. Yes, Glee hasn’t been the same since Cory died, but the way that they have continued to make it is exactly what they needed to do instead of put it to an abrupt ending. And for everyone dissing the entire cast members, one word: don’t. They all lost someone so close to them almost a year ago, and you can’t just move on from that. I watched the show expecting something terrible because it was heartbreaking and I got something decent. Just because it wasn’t the same Glee that we used to watch, does not mean it can’t be good. I don’t care if you guys completely hate me for posting this, but this is just MY opinion. We are all allowed them. I, for one, am extremely excited, as well as sad, for the final season of Glee. ☺️

• Agree. I appreciate the hours of pure enjoyment I got from Glee. But, it is hard for me to see happy endings with Cory gone. With only 13 shows left, maybe the writers will give us a tight script rather than a bunch of fillers between good episode. If they are going to get everyone in it will have to be pretty tight with no guest stars.

45. Chad says:

One of my biggest things is that they never let Melissa Benoist/Marley really come out and sing solos and be a lead to often. She is such an amazing singer and I hope they let her be more of a lead singer this final season and frankly probably my favorite character on Glee

46. Tracy says:

Glee went from being a wonderful and innovative show to being a train wreck and I blame Ryan Murphy! He just couldn’t listen to the audience…the idiot had to push his own agenda no matter how much it sucked!

47. Julia says:

Oh great, 13 episodes of Rachel!

48. Dealeo says:

I like season 5 the best it was funny and lots of drama. I think season 6 should start where they left. they getting there dream career going to college or living normal lives. Mr. shoe gets the new job with the vocalist Sue retire’s find something new to do with her life. and blah blah blah so on so on.

49. awnb95 says:

Darn only 13. At least they know it’s going to be 13. At long as it’s good.

50. Bente says: