Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2014: The 44 Biggest Snubs!

emmy snubs

When it come to Emmy nominations, there’s no four-letter word more foul than “snub” — and we uttered it more than once during this morning’s announcement of the 2014 contenders.

RELATED Emmy Nominations: The Complete List

Oh sure, there were reasons to celebrate, thanks to fresh names like Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s Andre Braugher and Masters of Sex‘s Lizzy Caplan joining the fray. But as always, some omissions (The Good Wife! Amy Schumer! Tatiana Freakin’ Maslany!) left us wanting to channel our inner Huck from Scandal, hack into the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences computer database and make a few “fixes” to the lineup.

RELATED Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements on the Primetime Emmy Nominations

So check out our gallery of this year’s 45 most egregious omissions from the race — either by clicking HERE or via the blue button beneath the photo above — then hit the comments with the snubs that left you applying some Neosporin to soothe the burn.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Controversy, Emmys

1. atlanta says:

Pretty sure Laverne Cox and Kerry Washington were nominated.

2. Mik says:

I don’t want to look through the gallery, I just get really depressed!

3. Miranda says:

I’m actually heartbroken for The Good Wife and Emmy Rossum.
    Proof the Television Academy DO NOT WATCH TV.

• lla says:

I’m with ya!

• dax says:

I am more pissed about The Americans!!! How .. just How it cant get nominated??

• Kim says:

I COMPLETELY agree–the show AND the lead actors should have absolutely been nominated–what a rip. It’s one of the BEST shows on TV. At least Margo got nominated. Also sad about The Good Wife–it was SO great this season.

• Judy H. Silverman says:

The Americans is the best show on TV,it keeps you wanting more and more every week,the whole cast needs to be nominator.

• Rodg says:

Why ,it’s just a tv show?

• Roberta says:

The biggest snub is Tatiana Maslany. All these actresses are great, but how many of them can play four different characters so amazingly. I have to remind myself they are all the same actress. Sorry Tatiana, you were robbed.

• chris says:

TATIANA played 9 clones at one point.Felix is a hoot!

• JAH says:

Well, Tatiana actually played 12 clones over the course of the 2 seasons, but three were only shown in driver’s license photos.

But not only have there been 9 clones on-screen, you have at least four instances of one clone impersonating another, and amazingly, you can tell it’s an impersonation and not just Maslany slipping fully into the other close persona.

4. Charissa says:

I was so glad to see you included Dylan O’Brien in your snubs gallery! I knew better than to get my hopes up about the Emmys actually recognizing his talent, but he is fantastic and his performance in the last season of Teen Wolf was excellent. I’m also disappointed The Crazy Ones didn’t get any love from the Emmys. I loved that show and was so disappointed with its cancellation.

• Tai says:

He was so amazingly good last season (and every season honestly). He completely deserves way more attention. Then again this is the Emmy’s. I might actually start paying them some attention when they start recognizing talent outside of the same boring old stuff year after year.

• Lena says:

My daughter is addicted to Teen Wolf and since it’s sort of a throwback to my childhood when I was a huge fan of Buffy I watch w/her and I gotta say, Dylan O’Brien did some truly impressive work last season. The kid can nail both comedy and drama and he’s one heck of a scene stealer. I don’t see him not being nominated as a true “snub” because Teen Wolf isn’t the kind of show that’s going to garner him (or anyone else) Emmy or Golden Globe noms but it can definitely be used as a platform to launch him to bigger and better things and I believe it will. He’s got “it factor” written all over him and I’ll be really surprised if Hollywood doesn’t try to make him happen.

Tatiana Maslany WAS snubbed, however, and that is just truly baffling. The woman is phenomenal in Orphan Black and I cannot, for the life of me, imagine how she didn’t get a nomination. I believe that Bellamy Young, James Spader and Mariska Hargitay also deserved some consideration as well.

• Anna says:

Hit it on the nail with Dylan O’Brien. I have seen the show on occasion with my niece, and while the show itself isn’t really Emmy worthy material, this kid is super talented. We are going to be seeing him around for a while.

• caro_brasil says:

yes, me too!! love the snubs gallery

• enuff said says:

Dylan O’Brien!? Ah, what now?

5. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

If Jeffrey Wright was not worthy of an Emmy nomination for his astounding work in Boardwalk Empire, then I can no longer take the award seriously. Hands-down, bar none, that was the most terrifying riveting performance all season.

6. Sasha says:

One of the biggest snubs was Arrow for Stunt Coordination! I know you’re focusing on the “big” categories, but this should be acknowledged. Arrow stunts deserves an Emmy!

• Miranda says:

They were snubbed for this AGAIN?
      That is embarrassing for the TV Academy – the Emmys need a new voting system and fresh blood ASAP.

• Delirious says:

It’s been a few years now that I call this the “Noble effect”. People (or shows) who, despite being highly regarded across the board, are snubbed year after year after year – eg. John Noble (Fringe)

And yeah, Arrow not grabbing it for stunt work is simply appaling, especially considering the nominations for Revolution or, as much as I love the show, the Blacklist.

• Cherise says:

Seriously egregious omission!

7. Tracy says:

Laverne Cox was nominated in the “Guest” category. As for the rest of this list, Mariska Hargitay was snub in the “Snubbed” list! How she got overlooked is beyond me. She gave the performance of her career this season.

8. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

I think for me the biggest disappointments are the snubs of Hannibal and Peter Sarsgaard on The Killing. Other than that I like the most of the nominations. TV shows are very good these days they should expand the number of nominees.

• Sara says:

Yes thank you! I feel like I’m the only one mentioning Sarsgaard

• Alexa42 says:

Peter Sarsgaard was brilliant. I didn’t have my hopes up because The Killing has had such a weird history of bouncing around from network to time slot to Netflix and sometimes I feel like no one watches it but me, and, well, apparently Sara and d4h8a15r16m23a42…. at least The Killing fans have six more episodes to look forward to….

• Kristina W. says:

HANNIBAL definitely deserved some love somewhere, somehow. Anyone. Bueller? HELP! What the heck, Emmy people.Time to eat the rude.

• Kro says:

Joel Kinnaman was so good – wish he would have gotten some recognition

9. KNR says:

I didn’t see Allison Tolman the first time I looked at the list and was super upset! Now that I can read again, I’m feeling much better. Disappointed in no James Spader and no Good Wife ensemble, but mostly feeling okay about the nominations. Very excited for Allison Tolman and Josh Charles.

10. Amanda says:

Chandler Riggs was a snub?? What the?

• Lyn12 says:

Haha … yeah, pretty sure he threw that in just to give us a “WTH?” moment. Undoubtedly the LEAST Emmy-worthy prospect of the Walking Dead cast!

• wordsmith says:

Actually, he was kind of amazing in the back half of this most recent season. Sooner or later people will realize that he’s better than they give him credit for.

11. Aimee says:

Lana Parrilla should be in there somewhere, brilliant actress.

12. Laura E. says:

Definitely Adam Scott, Keri Russell, and Matthew Rhys. I don’t understand why the Emmys cares so little about The Americans. And I cannot believe Matt LeBlanc is that Emmy-worthy over Adam (or also Chris Messina).

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

As someone who watches Episodes and Park&Rec and seen the mindy project Matt LeBlanc definitely deserved it way more. (Just an opinion though)

• Lizzie says:

Agree If your not watching episodes don’t judge. He’s no longer Joey he does deserve. Although I love the other too as well. Ugh the comments are getting me more upset of everyone they missed. They freakin missed Golden Globe winner best comedy actor & series Andy Samberg & Brooklyn nine-nine. But don’t even get me started on the Arrow thing.

• abz says:

I don’t see why Adam Scott needs to be nominated. I don’t think he’s really on the same level of the other nominees. I never really laugh much at him. All he does is make faces at camera and I feel like he’s just there as a supporting actor for Amy Poehler. Nothing wrong with that, just not really an Emmy-worthy performance to me. Anyway just my opinion.
      I do agree about Chris Messina, Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell. They were all great in their respective roles.

13. Lyn12 says:

I’d like to refer everyone to “The Walking Dead” — not only snubbed again for best drama, but perfectly symbolic of the way these people stagger brainlessly and zombie-like toward the same trendy favorites every freakin’ year.

• nicole says:

Agree!!!!! Walking dead is filled with intensity and leaves you on the edge of your seat! Some people even have viewing parties for the shows. It is really beyond me how they got snub… or maybe just pure jealously and dont want to give credit where its due!!!

• veniascott says:

agree 100% the walking dead is not just some comic book zombie show, it has drama and story telling and high emotion of any show on tv. Big shame.

• rachel says:

I so agree with everyone who feels that The Walking Dead should of been nominated they have no idea how much time and effort it takes to complete a single episode or season!!! Plus hands down to the cast for making one of the best shows ever!! But its like you said its the same trendy favorite shows every freakin’ year lol

• veniascott says:

Amen

14. Casey says:

Def. Noel Fisher, Emmy Rossum and Shameless deserve it. Again this about popularity not actual talent.

• Debbie M says:

Emmy Rossum was brilliant this season. Definitely deserved a nomination.

• Rook says:

and she would have been truly snubbed if Shameless was in the drama category, her portrayal this season outstanding but in no way fitting of a comedic nomination. We should be pissed at Showtime or whoever made that decision.

• Jennifer says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Shameless is AMAZING, but it’s hard to get outraged when everything has been so heavy and they have it as a comedy. I would have agreed with that more in the first season, but I definitely see it as a drama with some comedic relief. It was still amazing this season. Emmy Rossum is amazing.

I’m also with a lot of other commenters on The Americans. I do not understand how that is getting over looked.

• Kr says:

Agree re Emmy Rossum and Shameless in general. Such a strong season.

• Joey says:

I literally feel like crying because Noel didn’t get a nomination. His performance easily should’ve been considered no matter if you consider Shameless a comedy or a drama.

15. Bella says:

wish Max Burkholder from parenthood would get a little recognition. great kid!

16. kath says:

Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell, for Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Game of Thrones). Sure there are others, but that one really pissed me off…he was far better than Paul Giamatti was on Downton.

17. Nadia says:

WHY TELL MINDY KALING TO WAKE UP EARLY TO ANNOUNCE IT AND NOT GET ONE HER SELF!! Mindy Kaling snubbed—Chris Messina snubbed— And The Mindy Project!

• Miranda says:

Could not agree more. The Emmys are actually just disrespectful and rude when they arrange for hopeful actors to announce the nominees like that and then get snubbed on a world stage.
      Shame on you, Emmys!

• Nick says:

Did she even get a writing nom for the mid-season finale?

• Exactly! The co-announcers always get nominated for something associated with their show. Was so mad this morning. Carson Daly looked disappointed(and slightly uncomfortable) that Mindy Kaling’s pure talent and hard work got no recognition.

18. dj says:

The Emmy’s have become a joke. You can ALWAYS count on Julia Louis Dreyfus to be in there, even though there are so many other talented females. Not even worth watching anymore.

• Liberals Steal says:

Come on, in what world did Selina Meyer not deserve a nomination? Quit acting weird.

• dee says:

That’s a weird choice for an underserving always-nominee, because Julia Louis Dreyfus is ALWAYS BRILLIANT.

• Spence says:

As much as I love Amy Poehler and wish she would at least win ONCE, I have to agree that Julia is pretty spectacular in Veep.

19. Wade says:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

20. Darcy Wilson says:

I don’t think The Mindy Project was deserving of any nominations when compared to the great years other comedies had. There’s only so many spots, and compared to most comedies on this season, it just didn’t deserve it.
    For me, the biggest snub was Melissa Rauch from TBBT. She’s terribly underrated, and I find Bernadette way funnier than Amy or Sheldon at this point, sometimes even Penny too, who’s just pretty bland most of the time these days.

21. empp says:

Tatiana Maslany! As far as I can tell – this was the biggest Error/Snub on the entire list. While I can agree with some of this others – this was the one I found most disturbing. I am not sure if those that nominate the talented people who get Emmy nominations actually watch TV. Maybe they just don’t know what to do with an actress who should be Outstanding Lead Actress and Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series as well as a Drama Series. It must have been their confusion that left this amazing actress without a nomination.

• Bill says:

She is this generation’s Meryl Streep. Nobody handles a multitude of accents better. It is another sign of the overall cluelessness of many of the folk in Hollywood.

• JayDee says:

Tatiana Maslany was straight-up robbed. Doesn’t matter who wins Best Actress b/c they’ll be going home with Tatiana’s statue.

• Et. Al says:

The fact that Claire Danes was nominated again for such a weak season of Homeland over Tatiana proves that the Emmys are an out of touch and lazy institution.

• wordsmith says:

Tatiana Freaking Maslany. I could not have put it better myself. A true travesty. Shame, Emmy voters. Shame!

• Kristina W. says:

Another Tatiana fan here. She is fantastic as one character, let alone the 123245 characters she actually plays on the show.

• veniascott says:

oh it’s a real shame that Tatina was not nominated that girl rocks on that show.

22. Shira says:

I like this snubs list better than the real nominations list :(

23. Rob N. says:

No Tatiana Maslany? That makes that one category Second Best Lead Actress in a Drama.

24. Amy says:

You forgot to add the biggest sting of all…Parks and Recreation. :(

25. Wild child says:

Tatiana Maslany is the biggest snub of them all. The things that are asked of her each week and how effortlessly she delivers juggling multiple characters in one scene with differnt personalities, mannerisms, accents, genders, etc. The Emmy selection committe or whatever they are called are seriously out of touch and continually snub genre shows. Tatiana is he best actress on tv.

• Liberals Steal says:

You can’t judge acting based on “how much” a person has to do. She is just not as believable or as engaging as some of the others.

• Rob N. says:

Do you watch the show? She’s spectacular. Every character is different and every character is believable, and as for engaging, there’s no one on TV more engaging, and half the actresses nominated for Second Best Lead Actress in a Drama are susbatntially less so.

• Nick says:

Totally. Sometimes while watching the show I forget it’s the same actress playing all of these roles. She’s unbelievably talented and she was ROBBED AGAIN! Unbelievable.

• Nick says:

That’s such b.s. Do you even watch the show?

• Et. Al says:

Your name and your comment prove you have mental problems and should generally be laughed at.

• Liz says:

You clearly can’t have ever seen an episode of this series.

• Doris says:

I agree. I have watched the show from the very beginning. Although she plays many characters she is not believable.

• John Moshier says:

I agree theres just to many good acting people and to many shows they changed the academy awards time to change the emmys

• chris says:

Agreed!!!!

26. webly3 says:

Melissa McBride – The Walking Dead
    Monica Potter – Parenthood

^^ you forgot those beloved performers. :(

27. disgusted says:

How in the workd could they overlook Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black. She is an incredible talent. Not getting a nomination last year, being a new show, new face, could be overlooked, but the extraordinary book of work the she did this season was absolutely incredible. Wake up Emmys – you missed the boat on this one.

28. Ashley says:

I’m really happy to see that Dylan O’Brien was included on this list for snubs. I had no illusions that the Emmys would recognize his work with a nomination, especially not over some of the other amazingly awful subs (I haven’t even looked at the nominations yet and from this list, I’m wondering who the hell was actually nommed because there are so many amazing people/shows here that seemed to have been overlooked). But it’s nice to see that, despite being a supernatural show on MTV, it’s acknowledged by someone other than the fans of the show that Dylan’s acting was superb with his storyline. I feel like anyone that’s confused as to why some kid from an MTV show is on this list, they should just go watch 3.18 “Riddled” and find out. Truly some amazing work from any actor on any show.

29. Eric says:

Chandler Riggs was on here before Melissa McBride? She was the only actor on that show that deserved any recognition-what a talent. Also, though understandable for not getting a nom, I always love me some Lana Parilla on Once Upon a Time.

30. Leona says:

No Tatiana Maslany and Especially No Pedro Pascal????!!! Disgusting!! These two were robbed!

31. kathyb52 says:

James Spader!!!!! OMG He is so awesome! BIG mistake not nominating him!

• Marinda Gijzen says:

I SO agree with you

• Kim says:

I KNOW! He IS the show. These Emmys have made me really mad this year! No Good Wife, No Americans, No Spader–WTH?????

• Billie says:

I totally agree with all you said. I also think they should separate cable and subscription channels because there is no comparison as to what they can show and say on them. Which makes a big difference.

32. Denise Rambo says:

I’m starting to think they need to put cable shows and non-cable shows in different categories. I think the cable shows get all the love because they have a much wider berth in what they can and can’t do and say. The field is SO wide now but the category limitations are still the same as when there were only 3 networks. And Tatiana Maslany was ROBBED!

33. Pinky says:

Honestly Sons of Anarchy, Shameless, Masters of sex, Bellamy young, Michael sheen deserved some love. Why is it always the same old faces every year.

34. Lo says:

Gotta say, Bellamy Young hurt the most. Such a layered, phenomenally soul-crushing performance this season, she at LEAST deserved a nod. I know actors say they aren’t in the business for the accolades, but this was a huge oversight and should be called out. I like Kerry Washington, but I think Bellamy deserved a nomination more than she did. Just my 2 cents worth

• kea says:

Kerry’s nomination didn’t have anything to do with Bellamy. Kerry is the lead actress. If the Emmy members didn’t think Bellamy deserved a nod, then that’s their decision. You see how many nods Orange is the new black received, 4-5 acting nominations. The lead actress can’t stop a supporting player from being nominated. They just didn’t think Bellamy was as good the other supporting actresses.

35. bkes216 says:

The Americans! So many for The Americans! The hate for fx dramas continues. Fargo did well enough I guess. Still bitter.

36. viceriously says:

Sandra Oh. And not because it was her final season, but because she’s a fantastic actress.

37. Lauren says:

PARENTHOOD IS SNUBBED EVERY SINGLE YEAR. That is all I have to say.

38. Pinky says:

Nominees not deserving; Julia Louis Dreyfus, all nominess for Modern family, house of lies, louie ck, Allison Janney, MOM! and anything to do with Saturday night live. Do you agree

39. tw says:

Makes me crazy. Argghh! Where’s Jeff Perry and Bellamy Young (Scandal), James Spader (Blacklist) and Mariska Hargitay? They pretty much whiffed on all the noms, although love all the love for the boys (and Julia Roberts) from The Normal Heart. At least they got that right

• Alex says:

Except they left out Taylor Kitsch. I was thrilled to see so many nominations for The Normal Heart, because they deserved it 100%, but I was surprised to see him, of all people, left out. I thought he was fantastic. Everyone was, really, so I understand it’s a hard decision, but his omission really feels like a snub.

40. Margaret says:

Emmy nominations are so predictable…. 80% of the time it’s the same old shows that get nominated, same actors and actresses time and time again. Between the Emmy, Sag, and Golden Globes it is a damn shame that Shameless and Emmy Rossum have barely ever been nominated, yet alone won. Emmy does brilliant work season after season… I wish she would get recognized for it, thankfully the viewers do and they keep watching to bring the show back!

• Bwhit says:

Yes, yes and yes! Emmy put in a performance for the ages last season! Noel Fisher as well but they go with “safe choices”. I wonder what will happen when the easy and safe choices like Mad Men go off the air, if fan favorite shows will finally get their due!

41. Mike C. says:

I have to confess I never understand these kinds of lists. I mean, you cannot nominate EVERYONE. So who would you have NOT nominated to put these folks in? In some cases you’d have 12 people up for one award. Obviously it’s subjective and some people argue over who was left out, and there are always one or two glaring omissions. But c’mon, people–not everyone can get a blue ribbon.

• Rob N. says:

Well, in the case of Second Best Lead Actress in a Drama, I’d pull Kerry Washington or Claire Danes to put in Tatiana Maslany.

42. NotLoved says:

Dylan O’Brien, obviously.
    He was more than amazing in Teen Wolf’s season 3B and I totally agree with the girl who recommended to watch 3.18 to have proof of his incredible talent.
    I was absolutely speechless and I’m speechless even now that I learned about his exclusion.

But can we talk about Vera Farmiga?
    No, really – let’s talk about it.
    I don’t even know what to say.

43. No Tatiana Maslany or Peter Sarsgaard? The Emmys just lost all credibility for me.

44. I was happy to see that you at least acknowledged Chandler Riggs as being snubbed. It is very unjust thst The Walking Dead was snubbed when they have some of the finest performances out there.

45. jupitergrls says:

Not one nod for “The Americans”
    Shame on you Emmy’s !

46. Martin says:

Ones I am most upset about and happy about (others I wanted didn’t get nominated but not super surprised)

Snubs

Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Allison Janney x2
    Anna Chlumsky
    Laverne Cox
    Margo Martindale

47. H.Houston says:

Are shows on USA, TNT, Bravo, ABC Family, and the like not eligible?

48. Lilacs says:

I have no regard for the Emmy awards anymore. All elitist snobs who do not reflect the tastes of the majority of viewers (and, I may add, buyers of the sponsors’ products). How is one hour of Sherlock any better than week after week of quality entertainment on Elementary? And what happened to the love critics had in the past for The Good Wife? um?

• bk says:

You know their is more than 3 channels dumbass

• Jennifer says:

First – you are proof positive that the US education system is failing. “Their” is a possessive. You MEANT to say “there” and to be consistent it should be “there are” not “there is.” I will respond to your other comment below

• jane says:

You know there is more than just your opinion?

• KC says:

I think you’re confusing the Emmys with the People’s Choice Awards. The Emmys are an industry award so the nominations (and snubs) are done by their own peers, not the general public or critics. The same people that are snubbed could, in fact, be voting. So don’t blame the elitist snobs, they don’t have a say unless they also work in the television industry.

49. H.Houston says:

SNUBBED SNUBBED SNUBBED
    Unreal… some of these shows were just amazing this year… some of the actors gave their best work EVER and were ignored.
    Best Drama Series – The Good Wife: are they blind this year. This was arguably their best season ever. The powerhouse actors on this show gave everything. For them to be ignored is just ridiculous.
    Lead Actor in a Drama – James Spader, The Blacklist: This show is superb. But this MAN makes this show so much the richer and more succulent. To be ignored is just wrong.
    Lead Actor in a Drama – Charlie Hunnam, Sons of Anarchy: Not only does this show get completely ignored time and time again but the just incredible actors are shut out as well. Hunnam is not the only actor from this show that should have been nominated.
    Supporting Actress in a Drama – Bellamy Young, Scandal: What?! Why?! How?!? Just, ummmm ridiculous.
    Best Drama Series – Hannibal: I don’t even watch this show and I know it should have been nominated.
    Supporting Actress in a Drama – Maggie Siff, Sons of Anarchy: Another of the terrible snubs for the cast of this show. Siff brought so much to this show this year.
    The casts of Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, Criminal Minds, CSI, Bones, NCIS (both of them), PLL, Nashville, Grey’s Anatomy….. all ignored.

• Liz says:

AMEN! Emmys are same-old, same-old these days. Repititious nominations and very repititious winners. Not sure I will even watch.

• Pinky says:

TBH the categories this year are overflowing with great Talent, not everyone can be included I guess. I love SOA but in the drama category there is not 1 I would replace it with, they are all gud TV. But I feel Modern Family, Louie CK Saturday night live have had their time in the sun its time to move on. Its not fair that SNL & Modern Family have 2 nods in 1 category when there’s so much more Talent avail.

50. PJL says:

I thought maybe Robert Taylor and Longmire or Anson Mount and Hell on Wheels might slip into the nominations this year.