Exclusive

Elementary: Meet Sherlock's New [Spoiler]!

Elementary Season 3 Ophelia Lovibond

It’s your new competition, my dear Watson!

TVLine has learned exclusively that English actress Ophelia Lovibond is joining Elementary‘s upcoming third season in the recurring role of Kitty Winter, Sherlock’s (Jonny Lee Miller) new protégé and a rival to her predecessor, Joan (Lucy Liu).

Kitty’s reasons for partnering with Sherlock are nebulous and her new arrangement with him will have ongoing repercussions for his relationship with Joan.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Elementary‘s second season concluded with Sherlock taking a job across the pond with MI6 in the wake of Watson moving out of his house. It stands to reason that Sherlock and Kitty will connect in England before heading back to the States.

Lovibond’s TV credits include the 2012 Encore miniseries Titanic: Blood and Steel and the six-part UK comedy Mr. Sloane. She also co-starred in the films Nowhere Boy, No Strings Attached and Mr. Popper’s Penguins. She’ll next been seen in Marvel’s Guardians in the Galaxy (out Aug. 1).

Elementary‘s third season bows Thursday, Oct. 30 at 10/9c on CBS.

1. Annie says:

There is literally no storyline Elementary could have done that would make me want to watch it less. Loved season one; enjoyed season two; not TOUCHING season three until someone tells me this isn’t as asinine as it sounds.

2. Caitlin Garafola says:

I hope the Great Rift doesn’t last long. The friendship between Watson and Sherlock makes this show, I hope they know what they’re doing.

3. Yule says:

Season 3 sounds like garbage. Can we go back to the awesomeness that is Season 1. What an amazing season that was.

4. Ashley says:

I’m not a fan of the season two finale and the direction they’re going with this, but I’m excited about Ophelia being cast. I’ve really liked her for years and she hasn’t had much exposure, so it’ll be nice to see her in mainstream America.

5. Carolyn says:

I am always amazed when a great show gets ruined by changing it’s focus. Moving Lucy Liu out of Elementary will be it’s death. I hope this is being done at Lucy Liu’s request so she can move on to other better opportunities

6. Reba says:

Kitty Winter was the mistress of a Baron and attemped murderess. If they keep to the stories with the later plot, it will keep my interest.

7. I saw the John Lennon film Nowhere Boy.Was she Cynthia? Does not matter. This might add a bit of comedy…

8. Glad her name is Kitty Winter and not Kitty Litter! Can’t wait to see what Joan thinks of Sherlock’s Kitty!

9. kate says:

it’s fascinating to me that people always freak out about ONE thing before it even airs. at least watch it before deciding you hate it.

• Thad says:

But, see, it’s NOT one thing. It’s a storyline that promises to keep Sherlock and Watson separate after an *entire season* of their partnership being underwritten. This is the absolute last thing the show needs more of. They need to get back to their core, not bring in new recurring characters, and suggest that Holmes will take on pretty much anyone as a protege, no meaningful connection required.

• Liz says:

That’s it exactly. This decision undermines the relationship with Watson and Sherlock. Their platonic connection is strong and intense and complicated….but Sherlock just picking a new woman out makes that seem icky. Unless that’s the point. That she isn’t Watson.

• J. Pirard says:

That would make sense Kate. i see the same thing on Facebook regarding the New YES album…where people are prejudging based on a 90 second snippet. off topic a bit but the point is people are judging based on a DESCRIPTION of s storyline twist. I am sure Lui’s Watson is not going anywhere.

10. J.Norman says:

The main plus of Elementary is the chemistry between Holmes and Watson.

So, the show runners decide the best thing to do is do what they can to upset that relationship.

Yep, that certainly sounds like a strong strategy. . .or simply a signal that they have no real idea on how to go forward.

11. You have to be joking on this one. In no way in hell, they are allowed to do this. I understand a few modifications of minor characters to change the storyline a little, but breaking the partnership between Holmes and Watson. NO WAY. NOT IN A LIFETIME. I WILL KILL EVERYONE.
    I was hoping for some sort of redemption in Season Three, after a not-so-strong season 2, but if they are doing this. If they are not, and this is just some inaccurate media news, that’s fine. If they are, I’ll probably give up on my favourite show. When I first started watching this show, the main thing that attracted me towards it was the dynamic between Sherlock and Joan, and it was the only thing that kept me going in the bad episodes of Season 2. But now I hear this, I really don’t know what to think. No wonder the BBC was critical of this show. Season 1 = perfect. Season 2 = okay. Season 3 = absolute rubbish in the storyline.
    NO WAY IN HELL. I REALLY HOPE THIS ENTIRE THING IS WRONG.

• Dick S. says:

If they wanted to cancel the series, why didn’t they just give it a really big closing episode and announce it as the last? Changing the plot that much is going to kill it…they might just as well as ended it gracefully. And yes, I liked season one and found season two to be a little less interesting, but not entirely.

• J. Pirard says:

How the hell do you know the whole 3rd season is RUBBISH? They are adding a bit of drama. relax.

• I am not saying the entirety of season 3 is rubbish. Of course not, I can’t be that prejudicial. But what I am trying to say that I am a bit sceptical about next season. That doesn’t mean I give up on it completely. I know that Elementary has potential that many successful TV shows don’t have, and that’s why it deserves to be on top. But we all know that too much drama can be a hindrance, and hence the reason why I don’t feel a positive vibe about all these changes. But I might be wrong. I really hope I am wrong.

12. OldFan says:

This is one case where Sherlock doesn’t need Watson. I love Millers portrayal of Holmes, not so much Liu’s Watson.

• suzyku says:

I agree with you, I don’t like Lucy Liu as Watson either. She has no warmth whatsoever and always seems miserable, a complete downer! I only watch this show because Jonny Lee Miller is always wonderful.

13. DL says:

Is there something I missed in regards to everyone acting like Lucy Liu is being written out of the series? I mean, because if not, I can only assume it won’t be long until Holmes and Watson reconcile. When I read the article, I was guessing it was just for some drama at the beginning of the season, not that they’re planning to alter the DNA of the show long term.

• Sasha says:

Same here, just like when Marcus got shot.

They’d be apart for a bit then back together.

I think people are freaking out too soon.

Mind I have watched the last 2 eps because i didn’t like where it was going but I’ll check out the starts of season 3 for sure!

14. Sandi deck says:

I have been watching ” Watson’s costumes over the past few month. They have been getting bulkier about the waistline and many scenes only show her from the waist up. We have seen a liaison with Sherlock’s brother. Moving out and having a new protege to help Sherlock would explain an absence to deliver a new member of the Holmes family.

15. Moment says:

I can’t help but think this will backfire. Assuming Season 3 is 24 episodes too, if they mess things up too much and the ratings drop more, I can’t help but think the show will likely get dumped on Friday for Season 4 with 16 episodes to get it to the magic 88 episode syndication level.

16. Whimsical says:

I want to go on record as saying that breaking up Watson and Holmes is a terrible idea, and the show will wind up regretting it.

17. boblosan says:

NO – I love Watson!!! There is no Holmes without Watson… and there’s only 1 Joan and Lucy Liu is 1/2 of the reason this show is popular !!!

18. lame says:

This is a gimmick writers use during season 5 when storylines become thin. Why in the hell are those writers using this now, have they already run out of ideas. Try hiring a new batch of contributors, if that’s the best they can do.

• Moment says:

I suspect they messed up majorly with Moriarty, while I don’t mind the character being a woman, I personally think she never should have been arrested, yet alone made into a character with a weakness for Sherlock, the character could not be described as a nemesis for Sherlock in the show at all. The mystery was destroyed by the Season 1 finale.

It should have been a long running thing spanning a few seasons, cumulating in a Season 3/4 finale.

19. Sasha says:

OMG people calm down.

Its not like she’s leaving.

Bringing in a new character will cause a bit of discord.

My guess is that Joan will be jealous of the new working relationship (Sherlock might be intending for that to be so) and move back in after a bit.

Its the same with when Marcus was shot and the team separated.

20. Julie says:

Boo…who thought this up. There is no way this could ever lead to anything good…

21. Lorinda says:

It was bad enough having to deal with the guy playing Sherlock’s brother, trying to come between Watson and Sherlock ! Now you’re telling us we have a women in the mix to try and come between the two! Big mistake!!! Just stick to great investigations for Sherlock & Watson as long as that happens it will hold our attention.Quit messing with the original script ideas! BOOO!

22. I just love the show. It always surprises me.

23. Gerry Haines says:

Hope the writers read the comments, no one wants another interference leave Joan and Sherlock alone.

24. Zigg says:

Is something wrong. This is a show about investigations and criminology deductions of Sherlock, with Watson, or is a sameness that develops intricate problems of relationships between Sherlock and Watson? One of two things, the two together do not work (I think), and if the second hypothesis, I turn off the tv

25. Alice Wang says:

I do enjoy Elementary. However, I have great difficulty understanding Sherlock’s English. I don’t seem to have that problem with other English actors and actresses. It often impedes my enjoyment of the program. I also think with the new “love interest” it might entangle the mystery aspects of the detective story. Watch out for “jumping the shark”.

26. J. Pirard says:

You people complaining remind me of people i am familiar on FB who complain about a new music release consisting of nearly 1 hour’ worth of music based on 1 90-second teaser.

27. I agree with all. Do not touch it.

28. Pookie says:

Don’t change the story line. It’s Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. PERIOD!!! That’s the way it should be

29. Pookie says:

DON’T change the storyline. It’s Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson!!!!

30. Loved season one, two not so much and now won’t waste another minute of my time on this son to be canceled waste of bandwidth.

31. This is Trifling says:

So now they’re getting rid of Lucy Liu? You know this girl is her ‘replacement’. First Taraji P. Henson, and now this? On top of moving NCIS:LA (which co-stars LL Cool J) to their Monday night death slot? This network officially hates people of color. I didn’t want to believe what I was told but it appears to be true.

CBS new slogan: All White All Night.

32. cindy says:

I hope that doesn’t mean ee’ll see less of Watson. I really like her.